News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on June 02, 2023, 01:34:21 PMi want some animals completely out of line such as helicoprion or esp dunkleosteus, imagine a Anomalocaris, an arthlopleura, sea skorpions, ledsychtis esp as a hollow similar to the tylosaurus

PNSO just did a gorgeous Dunkleosteus, one of their all-time best, IMO.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Over9K on June 02, 2023, 06:57:26 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on June 02, 2023, 01:34:21 PMi want some animals completely out of line such as helicoprion or esp dunkleosteus, imagine a Anomalocaris, an arthlopleura, sea skorpions, ledsychtis esp as a hollow similar to the tylosaurus

PNSO just did a gorgeous Dunkleosteus, one of their all-time best, IMO.

I phrasef it badly, i mean dunkleosteus as an example what i want, more prehistoric random animals, more fish or arthropods.

SRF

Since June has started, I wondered if anything is known on when the next big sale on AliExpress is going to start? Patience is a virtue but I'm almost willing to pay the full price for Cameron if it's not part of the next sale, although I do hope to get it for cheaper than its current price.
But today, I'm just being father

Medzo

Quote from: SRF on June 04, 2023, 08:14:36 AMSince June has started, I wondered if anything is known on when the next big sale on AliExpress is going to start? Patience is a virtue but I'm almost willing to pay the full price for Cameron if it's not part of the next sale, although I do hope to get it for cheaper than its current price.

I'm pretty sure it will be omitted initially. Just hold your wallet brother  >:D

CARN0TAURUS

Back in post #774 of this thread I posted concern over what looks like the rather large space between Cameron's arms.  Nobody responded to that observation, perhaps everyone is too excited over the release to talk about something that would seem like a criticism.  Then I remembered reading something about how "Sue" had been initially displayed improperly without her gastralia and with a much wider space between her arms.  When they created her new display they corrected the issue of the distance between arms, added the gastralia, and also put her leg in a more accurate pose.  Is it possible that PNSO used the old "Sue" display to model the chest area on Cameron?

I am not interested in tearing down Cameron, I'm buying the figure and I love most everything about this figure.  But I just can't ignore what area, it really stands out to me.  Perhaps PNSO in their desire to make the figure as bulky as possible might have overdone the chest area?  Someone posted side by side comparisons with the BotM figure from the front and the BotM T-rex is bulky too, but its arms are modeled with the "newer" correct positioning of the arms.  It's not a small difference, the distance between Cameron's arms and the BotM figure is almost double just from looking at the image.  Obviously I don't have any measurements...

Halichoeres

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 04, 2023, 04:51:12 PMBack in post #774 of this thread I posted concern over what looks like the rather large space between Cameron's arms.  Nobody responded to that observation, perhaps everyone is too excited over the release to talk about something that would seem like a criticism.  Then I remembered reading something about how "Sue" had been initially displayed improperly without her gastralia and with a much wider space between her arms.  When they created her new display they corrected the issue of the distance between arms, added the gastralia, and also put her leg in a more accurate pose.  Is it possible that PNSO used the old "Sue" display to model the chest area on Cameron?

I am not interested in tearing down Cameron, I'm buying the figure and I love most everything about this figure.  But I just can't ignore what area, it really stands out to me.  Perhaps PNSO in their desire to make the figure as bulky as possible might have overdone the chest area?  Someone posted side by side comparisons with the BotM figure from the front and the BotM T-rex is bulky too, but its arms are modeled with the "newer" correct positioning of the arms.  It's not a small difference, the distance between Cameron's arms and the BotM figure is almost double just from looking at the image.  Obviously I don't have any measurements...

Well, if PNSO is smart, they'll always hold back from making a T. rex too perfect, so that they can release a new and improved one two years later and reap another windfall. I definitely won't buy this one, if I'm going to spend $75 on a Tyrannosaurus, it had better be perfect.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Medzo

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 04, 2023, 09:16:09 PM... if I'm going to spend $75 on a Tyrannosaurus, it had better be perfect.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 04, 2023, 09:16:09 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 04, 2023, 04:51:12 PMBack in post #774 of this thread I posted concern over what looks like the rather large space between Cameron's arms.  Nobody responded to that observation, perhaps everyone is too excited over the release to talk about something that would seem like a criticism.  Then I remembered reading something about how "Sue" had been initially displayed improperly without her gastralia and with a much wider space between her arms.  When they created her new display they corrected the issue of the distance between arms, added the gastralia, and also put her leg in a more accurate pose.  Is it possible that PNSO used the old "Sue" display to model the chest area on Cameron?

Well, if PNSO is smart, they'll always hold back from making a T. rex too perfect, so that they can release a new and improved one two years later and reap another windfall. I definitely won't buy this one, if I'm going to spend $75 on a Tyrannosaurus, it had better be perfect.
Concavenator posted this image on post #865 page 44 of this thread, I think he credited Paleofiguras as the source of the image.

On this image it is clear that the space between the base of the arms on Cameron is a LOT wider than on the BotM figure.  The BotM figure is bulky too, I would say it leans towards the newer heavier interpretations of T-rex.  BUT the chest area tapers at what could be described as the shoulders, it basically gets narrower towards the base of the arms.  That doesn't seem to be the case with Cameron.  And the more I look at the images the stranger and stranger that part of his body looks to me.

I don't have a good photo editor and just used something already on my device but although it's crude you can see how I tried to highlight the difference in the spacing using a green and red marker.  Notice I didn't go all the way to the arm on the left side of both figures as the tool was difficult to work with, but you guys get the idea.

CARN0TAURUS

To my eye it looks like the base of the arms were modeled too far back and outside.  They needed to have been thrust a bit forward and inward and closer together.  Is the new bluerhino reconstruction, the one with the prey in it's mouth,  built this way too?

Fembrogon

The Blue Rhino model:

The current Sue mount:

*shrug*

Bread

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon I believe the Blue Rhino model takes into consideration Sue's dislocated arms. I believe I read somewhere that Sue possibly had her arms ripped out of place at some point in her life. (I could be wrong).

I think Mark Witton's assessment regarding BOTM's Tyrannosaurus really highlights how it is the most accurate. Even noting that it is the more realistic interpretation and assumption to consider that not all Tyrannosaurus were built like Sue. And Cameron is based on Sue. Edit: This paragraph is in regards to robustness.

KeU

Not sure if it makes the arms appear wider. Zhao Chuang did mention in the PNSO videos that part of the humerus is buried in the chest muscles.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: SRF on June 04, 2023, 08:14:36 AMSince June has started, I wondered if anything is known on when the next big sale on AliExpress is going to start? Patience is a virtue but I'm almost willing to pay the full price for Cameron if it's not part of the next sale, although I do hope to get it for cheaper than its current price.
https://promossale.com/aliexpress-sale-dates-2023/
heres an overview

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on May 31, 2023, 06:59:30 PMI like the hats, and I own and wear a lot of hats. I never leave my house without a hat on. The two on the end look great but I'm not seeing anything interesting about the other two.

The first two have a T. rex and Triceratops skulls on the brim. It's impossible to see them clearly on that promo photo, but they uploaded some more pictures to Facebook and they actually look pretty cool - they're apparently reflective so they catch the light.

...I actually really want them. Where do you buy them?
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

ceratopsian

They are already up on the official PNSO store on AliExpress avatar_Brontozaurus @Brontozaurus.  Price is £33.10 (but sundry discounts available).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005644613771.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.41.2d6f396f64NBX7&pdp_npi=3%40dis%21GBP%21%EF%BF%A133.10%21%EF%BF%A133.10%21%21%21%21%21%40211b88ec16859615347587983e8b71%2112000033863743869%21sh%21UK%213166597368

Quote from: Brontozaurus on June 05, 2023, 09:40:38 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 31, 2023, 06:59:30 PMI like the hats, and I own and wear a lot of hats. I never leave my house without a hat on. The two on the end look great but I'm not seeing anything interesting about the other two.

The first two have a T. rex and Triceratops skulls on the brim. It's impossible to see them clearly on that promo photo, but they uploaded some more pictures to Facebook and they actually look pretty cool - they're apparently reflective so they catch the light.

...I actually really want them. Where do you buy them?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Medzo on June 04, 2023, 10:53:29 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 04, 2023, 09:16:09 PM... if I'm going to spend $75 on a Tyrannosaurus, it had better be perfect.

You're right of course! But I prefer figures to lack knowable errors if possible. Especially something as oversaturated as T. rex. If I'm being honest, I'm looking for any excuse not to buy another rex; to me, buying one just makes the overall prehistoric figure market worse.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Medzo

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 05, 2023, 02:34:06 PMIf I'm being honest, I'm looking for any excuse not to buy another rex; to me, buying one just makes the overall prehistoric figure market worse.

I understand this notion. For PNSO's defense, they're not just a company that keeps milking the Rex in an unacceptable way. This remake was very anticipated and it is just a fitting element of the huge collection of their previous releases.

Eofauna's attempt on the other hand is a much more boring move in this aspect. Tons of other genera that they could've presented but they went for the more secure money grab. IMHO.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Medzo on June 05, 2023, 02:39:32 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 05, 2023, 02:34:06 PMIf I'm being honest, I'm looking for any excuse not to buy another rex; to me, buying one just makes the overall prehistoric figure market worse.

I understand this notion. For PNSO's defense, they're not just a company that keeps milking the Rex in an unacceptable way. This remake was very anticipated and it is just a fitting element of the huge collection of their previous releases.

Eofauna's attempt on the other hand is a much more boring move in this aspect. Tons of other genera that they could've presented but they went for the more secure money grab. IMHO.

I can't fault a company for doing what it has to in order to stay in business.  Eofauna doesn't produce a lot of volume so they might need a financial boost?

Joel1905

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 05, 2023, 01:22:42 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 04, 2023, 09:16:09 PM

Concavenator posted this image on post #865 page 44 of this thread, I think he credited Paleofiguras as the source of the image.

On this image it is clear that the space between the base of the arms on Cameron is a LOT wider than on the BotM figure.  The BotM figure is bulky too, I would say it leans towards the newer heavier interpretations of T-rex.  BUT the chest area tapers at what could be described as the shoulders, it basically gets narrower towards the base of the arms.  That doesn't seem to be the case with Cameron.  And the more I look at the images the stranger and stranger that part of his body looks to me.

I don't have a good photo editor and just used something already on my device but although it's crude you can see how I tried to highlight the difference in the spacing using a green and red marker.  Notice I didn't go all the way to the arm on the left side of both figures as the tool was difficult to work with, but you guys get the idea.

It's fine. If you look at the arms carefully, it's clear that at least a quarter of the humerus is buried in the chest muscles/fat.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on June 05, 2023, 02:39:32 PM

no offense n but i kinda feel thats very biased, i agree cameron would come sooner or later, the main reason he soured the tastebuds of many is that he came right after the wave of theropods , aswell as a maybe cinical opinion that he came right after a ceo was announced, and suddenly a new rex and a bunch of random products.

eofauna basicly has no reason not to do a rex, unlike pnso they dont release each few months, every release has to count in terms of sales or the figure part of the company is done for, so it makes sense to avvoid shelfwarmers or less desirable figures for the super duperpopular once ( even then they made atlassaurus)

u hold these as equal standards but theire not really. eofauna is small sideproject of a research foundation and the sales of the figures come second, pnso is a chinese based company made to get money first and foremost ,its why they now have a ceo to increase sales and cut out nonsellers-

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: