News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

I don't have a Megalosaurus yet but I'll pass. For some reason, PNSO theropods just don't do it for me (except for the Therizinosaurus). I'll hold out for maybe a Safari version (...or maybe Haolonggood  ::) )

Sim

Oh my gosh this Megalosaurus is amazing!  I didn't want a Megalosaurus before, but PNSO's is so good that I love it!

This makes 10 theropods in a row from PNSO, although the Therizinosaurus is a herbivore.  If I'm remembering right, PNSO released 11 non-theropods in a row in 2020, 10 of which were ornithischians.  I think I was the only person who complained about that!  So, there is precedence for PNSO making lots of figures from one group!

As for the head of the PNSO Iguanodon, it has been shown that there is an Iguanodon specimen with that head.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on August 13, 2023, 05:24:06 PMThis makes 10 theropods in a row from PNSO.

Nope, this is the 13th.

Siamosaurus -> Deinocheirus -> Therizinosaurus -> Suchomimus -> Giganotosaurus -> Meraxes -> Mapusaurus -> Tyrannosaurus -> Daspletosaurus -> Lythronax -> Albertosaurus -> Gorgosaurus -> Megalosaurus.

Last time PNSO released a non-theropod was July 2022 (Lingwulong). And that figure was sort of an outlier, as there were more theropods released last year too (Zhuchengtyrannus -> Acrocanthosaurus -> Sinraptor).

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not against them continuing with theropods, as long as they make some particular taxa that interest me (Ceratosaurus, Asfaltovenator, a new Yangchuanosaurus, Gallimimus, Austroraptor, Zhenyuanlong and Halszkaraptor, to give some examples). But yeah, I understand that some people are tired of these lipless, similar-looking (generally speaking) carnivorous theropod releases. At least, when non-theropods are concerned, there are Haolonggood and CollectA, as avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin pointed out.

Bread

I really think people would be all for PNSO's waves of therapods if they had lips and better colorschemes.

I am still confused as to why the Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus are the only two to have such a complex and very appealing color scheme.

Faelrin

avatar_Bread @Bread Don't forget the Parasaurolophus and Deinocheirus too. Top of my absolute favorite color schemes from them so far. Maybe the Suchomimus and Meraxes count as well. Those two definitely diverge from the yellows and browns most of the recent theropods have had. Maybe the Giganotosaurus also with its green.

I think if they did more toothless and/or feathered theropods like oviraptorosaurs it wouldn't feel as it would now, as in lacking variety. Megalosaurus though is the first megalosaurid they have done since the Torvosaurus in 2021 I think. Otherwise, aside from last year's Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus, it's been nothing but medium-large carnivorous (lipless) theropods though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Thanks for the correction avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator!  I missed the Sinopliosaurus, Daspletosaurus and Lythronax when I was counting the theropods.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on August 13, 2023, 05:24:06 PMAs for the head of the PNSO Iguanodon, it has been shown that there is an Iguanodon specimen with that head.

We've had this conversation before, thus I agree to disagree. Me along with many others believe that its a Mantellisaurus head. The PNSO Iguanodon is one of the rare instances where the skeletal matches up with the figure reconstruction, and the skeletal unequivocally displays a Mantellisaurus skull. Having studied (not academically, but for art referencing) the actual specimen housed in the NHMUK multiple times in person confirms this for me.

Comparing & contrasting with online skeletals can only get you so far. Yes certain Iguanodon skulls do show more gracile morphology, but when observed in person (and not just in a perfect profile view on a screen), the angularities of said "gracile" Iguanodon skulls becomes more than obvious that it's different from both Mantellisaurus and the PNSO figure. Not to mention the more obvious discrepancies like the angle of the temporal fenestra, forehead and premaxilla; along with the mandible being far more square & robust in actual Iguanodon skulls.

Eatmycar

Quote from: Bread on August 13, 2023, 05:54:51 PMI really think people would be all for PNSO's waves of therapods if they had lips and better colorschemes.

I am still confused as to why the Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus are the only two to have such a complex and very appealing color scheme.

All of this and the stability issues keep me away from PNSO. They don't command the price they demand, especially for me to buy a figure and send it off to get customized for something as basic as lips. Instead, they pack their figures with material I don't need for filler and it just drives up the price it seems.

Fembrogon

I like the Megalosaurus, and I'm also just happy to finally see another model of this famous genus on the market.
Of course, it's still another brown theropod, so... how about a Barillium or Hylaeosaurus to accompany it next? ...Or a ceratopsian or two for the tyrannosaurs?

SidB

Also, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , may it well be likely that the angularities that  you perceived were genuinely there but NOT significantly sufficient to externally present the fleshy surface of the head as a classical Iguanodon shape, rather than Matellisaurus-like? I had argued for your point of view in the  2022 thread when the Iguanodon was released last year, but was rebutted by people of more knowledge in this matter than myself.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Excuse me guys, I saw some comments on PNSO's 5-year plan here and I would like to know where is that info from?
That Megalosaurus looks dope, sad it still has no lips.
Thanks in advance!  ;)

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on August 14, 2023, 12:43:29 AMAlso, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , may it well be likely that the angularities that  you perceived were genuinely there but NOT significantly sufficient to externally present the fleshy surface of the head as a classical Iguanodon shape, rather than Matellisaurus-like? I had argued for your point of view in the  2022 thread when the Iguanodon was released last year, but was rebutted by people of more knowledge in this matter than myself.

I feel like the comparisons speak for themselves. (Credit: DinosDragons)

PNSO Skeletal, Mantellisaurus skull, Iguanodon skull:
Spoiler

[close]

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on August 14, 2023, 01:03:23 AM
Quote from: SidB on August 14, 2023, 12:43:29 AMAlso, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , may it well be likely that the angularities that  you perceived were genuinely there but NOT significantly sufficient to externally present the fleshy surface of the head as a classical Iguanodon shape, rather than Matellisaurus-like? I had argued for your point of view in the  2022 thread when the Iguanodon was released last year, but was rebutted by people of more knowledge in this matter than myself.

Spoiler

[close]
No, that's NOT my point. I can see the difference. My point is that some forum members were trying to convince me that PNSO' Mantellisaurus-like head IS an iguanodon head, at least in some instances. I had to desist from my arguments because I'm not a paleontologist unlike the main proponent of that view, as far as I'm aware. Why do some people hold this view.

SidB

Quote from: SidB on August 14, 2023, 01:30:18 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on August 14, 2023, 01:03:23 AM
Okay, @Flaffy , I finally found the post that has vexed me since early in 2022. Take a look at "New for 2022, Re: PNSO: New for 2022, post #283. Please let me know what you think about the justification for considering this a legitimate Iguanodon skull. I'd greatly value your assessment.

Spoiler

[close]
No, that's NOT my point. I can see the difference. My point is that some forum members were trying to convince me that PNSO' Mantellisaurus-like head IS an iguanodon head, at least in some instances. I had to desist from my arguments because I'm not a paleontologist unlike the main proponent of that view, as far as I'm aware. Why do some people hold this view.

Nyrorosaurus

Speaking as someone who has absolutely no business commenting on iguanodont anatomy, I'll note that this video from PNSO (starting at 17:32) shows an image of what I believe is indeed an Iguanodon skull being referenced for the design. The image is altered a bit, however, and my impression is that the designer ended up smushing the lower jaw too much into the skull so that the head has an overall more gracile appearance than it should. But someone who actually knows what they're talking about might have a different interpretation
Edit: images of the reference process as shown in the video

Quiversaurus

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on August 14, 2023, 12:58:15 AMExcuse me guys, I saw some comments on PNSO's 5-year plan here and I would like to know where is that info from?
Thanks in advance!  ;)

Separate from the ongoing Iguanodon discussion: I would also like to learn more about this 5-year plan, if anyone can shed some light~

Bread

Quote from: Faelrin on August 13, 2023, 06:04:10 PMavatar_Bread @Bread Don't forget the Parasaurolophus and Deinocheirus too. Top of my absolute favorite color schemes from them so far. Maybe the Suchomimus and Meraxes count as well. Those two definitely diverge from the yellows and browns most of the recent theropods have had. Maybe the Giganotosaurus also with its green.
Of course I feel the same way. The Meraxes being the best of the newer wave, since it is different from the constant use of earth tones, mainly browns. But I still feel as though nothing holds up to the Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus. Those had complex and bold bright colors, yet lifelike and have yet to be brought to the table again. Maybe the Miragaia but still use of browns with an orange tone.

Quote from: Eatmycar on August 14, 2023, 12:27:17 AM
Quote from: Bread on August 13, 2023, 05:54:51 PMI really think people would be all for PNSO's waves of therapods if they had lips and better colorschemes.

All of this and the stability issues keep me away from PNSO.
Maybe I have been lucky, but I've faced no stability issues, been displaying my therapods with no stands too. Funny enough their Corythosaurus and Lambeosaurus were unstable to the point where they were forced to lean up against the shelf wall.

Bread

Quote from: quiversaurus on August 14, 2023, 03:41:16 AM
Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on August 14, 2023, 12:58:15 AMExcuse me guys, I saw some comments on PNSO's 5-year plan here and I would like to know where is that info from?
Thanks in advance!  ;)

Separate from the ongoing Iguanodon discussion: I would also like to learn more about this 5-year plan, if anyone can shed some light~

Where is this from? Facebook?

I looked on instagram and it was just a bunch of people bashing those asking/hoping for lips to be added to their future therapods. It was a horrible read not going to lie.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Bread on August 14, 2023, 03:53:56 AM
Thanks in advance!  ;)

I looked on instagram and it was just a bunch of people bashing those asking/hoping for lips to be added to their future therapods. It was a horrible read not going to lie.
I saw those comments here, specifically made by T @thomasw100, as far as I remember.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Bread on August 14, 2023, 03:53:56 AM
Thanks in advance!  ;)

avatar_Bread @Bread are you talking about that one "western s**boys" comment a certain individual made?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: