News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 29/03/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

My favorite Pachycephalosaurus figure (and it's stiff competition; this genus is done well reasonably often). I think the release date was 2021, though!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

That Pachycephalosaurus is part of my ever-growing PNSO wishlist (and well, general wishlist  ;D).

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 27, 2023, 04:31:58 AMI think the release date was 2021, though!

It was, indeed.

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres thank you, I edited the post

Binomial name: Panthera tigris (Linnaeus, 1758)
Classification: Placentalia->Boreoeutheria->Laurasiatheria->Scrotifera->Ferungulata->Ferae->Carnivora->Feliformia->Felidae->Pantherinae
Time: Pleistocene - Recent
Formation: historically from Turkey to Russia, now restricted to eastern Russia, India, south-east Asia and Sumatra.
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2019
Sculptor: Shinobu Matsumura
Scale: 1:27 for an average specimen. It miiigh be 1:32 for an exceptionally large specimen (Brander, 1923).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Leyster

Since this very little known shark is trending due to a certain movie release...

Binomial name: Otodus megalodon (Agassiz, 1843)
Classification: Elasmobranchii->Euselachii->Neoselachii->Selachii->Galeomorphii->Lamniformes->Lamnoidea->Otodontidae
Time: Aquitanian? (early Miocene) to Zanclean (early Pliocene)
Formation: almost worldwide distribution.
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2016
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: good luck with extimating this!  ::)

The one above is probably the most unquestionably accurate angle of the PNSO model you can get.

Over the years there have been many, many papers on the exact size and shape of this creature (which is way more famous than well known). I'm not overly impressed with the PNSO model (the heavily textured body goes against all I know about pelagic predators), but alas, I got it for a very small price so it's ok, I guess. I think their 2019 version is more accurate, but I'm trying to collect Cenozoic creatures more or less at the same scale and it'd look quite out of place. Even if around the 1:32 scale I'm collecting is on the smaller side of the extimates, it's still big enough to very well devour everything else on the 1:32 shelf.

Also our review of megatooth shark figures on Paleo-Nerd

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Leyster

Binomial name: Ornithomimus edmontonicus (Russell, 1972)
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Ornithomimosauria->Ornithomimidae
Time: Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Horseshoe Canyon Formation (present day Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2022
Sculptor: Sugaya Naka?
Scale: 1:30

Halichoeres

That Ornithomimus is the first Kaiyodo figure I bought in over 5 years! I'm pretty happy with it. Normally I am more interested in fish than theropods, but in this case I have an Ornithomimus in my collection but no megalodon...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres well, given that you're even less a Cenozoic fauna collector than a theropod one, I think it's understandable  :))

Binomial name: Kentrosaurus aethiopicus Hennig, 1915
Classification:Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Stegosauria->Stegosauridae
Time: Kimmeridgian-Tithonian (late Jurassic)
Formation: Middle-Upper Saurian Beds of the Tendaguru Formation (present-day Tanzania)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2016
Scale: 1:41 for a smallish specimen, up to 1:60 for the largest one

Concavenator

I was surprised to read that the more likely positioning of the side spikes of Kentrosaurus might have been the hips, rather than the shoulders as is usually depicted:

http://prehistoricbeastoftheweek.blogspot.com/2013/04/kentrosaurus-prehistoric-animal-of-week.html
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?msg=92311

That PNSO mini looks nice. A bit too small for me though, hopefully somebody will make a new, larger one. If nobody tackles the job, then there will be the BotM/Cyberzoic one, at least.

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator it is probably not as likely as the shulder spike. First, all stegosaurs with articulated spikes have them on the shoulder. Secod, it's true that Kentrosaurus has a depression on the hip, but it's not unique to Kentrosaurus and I can't see why an osteoderm (a structure derived from the derma) should anchor to its hips.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Leyster on August 17, 2023, 04:38:21 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres well, given that you're even less a Cenozoic fauna collector than a theropod one, I think it's understandable  :))

Well, it's partly that and partly my annoyance with endless megalodon figures when so many sharks are known from good remains and actually looked different from a souped-up great white.

Concavenator

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I agree. Paleozoic was full of cool chondrichthyes that never get enough representation.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator my pleasure

Binomial name: Ursus arctos Linnaeus, 1758
Classification:Placentalia->Boreoeutheria->Laurasiatheria->Scrotifera->Ferungulata->Ferae->Carnivora->Caniformia->Canoidea->Arctoidea->Ursida->Ursoidea->Ursidae
Time: Calabrian (Pleistocene)-Recent
Formation: historically much of the northern hemisphere, including the Atlas Mountains of North Africa. Nowadays their range is much more restricted.
Manifacturer and date of release: Kitan Club, 2013
Sculptor: KOW
Scale: 1:32 for an Hokkaido bear (which this figure represent, being part of the "Nature of Japan" series)

Never though I'd find a brand with perhaps better quality than Kaiyodo, but happy to be corrected

A comparison with one of the biggest theropods around (one sadly very underrated and poorly known) in the same scale, just to emphasize the difference between the size dinosaurs can attain thanks to their adaptations.

Of course inspired by this picture, which aged like milk:

I'm afraid that "cunning and long-lasting energy" are not enough  >:D

Concavenator

"Who would win?" Whenever I see this question asked anywhere, I can't help but come in and start counterattacking with stuff like: "At chess?", "At table tennis?". That question is more overrated than Tyrannosaurus itself.  >:D

Halichoeres

Kitan Club figures are really gorgeous, I keep hoping they'll get into prehistorics.

Leyster

Binomial name: Nannopterygius enthekiodon (Hulke, 1871)
Classification: Ichthyosauromorpha->Ichthyosauriformes->Ichthyopterygia->Eoichthyosauria->Ichthyosauria->Hueneosauria->Longipinnati->Merriamosauria->Neoichthyosauria->Thunnosauria->Ophthalmosauridae->Ophthalmosaurinae
Time: Kimmeridgian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Kimmeridge Clay Formation (present-day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Sculptor: PNSO, 2016
Scale: 1:38

Despite being identified as Ophthalmosaurus, to me the proportions of the PNSO mini look more closely matching Nannopterygius, expecially in flipper size.

Leyster

Binomial name: Lingwulong shenqi Xu et al. 2018
Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Bagualosauria->Massopoda->Sauropodiformes->Sauropoda->Eusauropoda->Neosauropoda->Diplodocoidea->Diplodocimorpha->Flagellicaudata->Dicraeosauridae
Time: Bathonian-Callovian (Middle Jurassic)
Formation: Zhiluo Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2022
Scale: 1:32, apparently, but involved a lot of eyeballing from the skeletal so don't @ me.

Concavenator

That's a very nice figure, but whenever PNSO returns to sauropods (if that ever happens), hopefully they won't have exposed teeth, they look even worse than theropods do as such imo. Well, the new Yangchuanosaurus shows they've changed their thoughts on that particular aspect, at least.

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on September 17, 2023, 07:42:38 PMThat's a very nice figure, but whenever PNSO returns to sauropods (if that ever happens), hopefully they won't have exposed teeth, they look even worse than theropods do as such imo. Well, the new Yangchuanosaurus shows they've changed their thoughts on that particular aspect, at least.
Let's hope consistently.

Halichoeres

Yeah, this was definitely one of the more difficult figures to estimate the scale of, among PNSO's recent releases. I got a similar number but with pretty low confidence.

Quote from: Concavenator on September 17, 2023, 07:42:38 PMThat's a very nice figure, but whenever PNSO returns to sauropods (if that ever happens), hopefully they won't have exposed teeth, they look even worse than theropods do as such imo. Well, the new Yangchuanosaurus shows they've changed their thoughts on that particular aspect, at least.

The exposed teeth are a weird look. At least sauropod heads are small, so you only see the exposed teeth up close!

ceratopsian

My thoughts exactly.  They aren't visible from my study chair and truth to tell I'd forgotten about them till now.

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 18, 2023, 01:32:51 PM.....

The exposed teeth are a weird look. At least sauropod heads are small, so you only see the exposed teeth up close!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: