News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro Some great finds here! Where did you purchase the baby titanosaur from?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Ikessauro

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 19, 2023, 08:44:19 PMavatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro Some great finds here! Where did you purchase the baby titanosaur from?
eBay

ceratopsian

The baby titanosaur is highly appealing.

SidB

Congrats, avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro , especially on the Invicta Megalosaurus ( at this time with the release of the PNSO one) and the unique Favorite 2004 rex variant.

Roselaar

Found a bunch of unexpected new JW gems at a local independent toy store:

SidB

I dropped in on a never before visited Value Village thrift store in Oakville  and in a small bag carelessly pitched onto a shelf by some rummaging child, I found this classic Battat:

Battats are only rarely found these days by me, but this is the third Edmontonia in a row to come into ny hands. Can't say why this figure in particular seems far more common than the rest. Perhaps a transport load of these was highjacked back in the day and diverted to Toronto. Odd, but welcome. If anyone is interested in a swap, I might be interested in exchange for an Invicta color variant of which I'm in need (see my collections thread for that info).

Pachyrhinosaurus

S @SidB Great find! Coincidentally, I just found one at a flea market last weekend for $4.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SidB

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 20, 2023, 04:02:30 AMS @SidB Great find! Coincidentally, I just found one at a flea market last weekend for $4.
Thanks!. Maybe it's from the same truck hijacking?

Skorpio V.

On that topic, I grabbed a King's bucket of dinosaurs from Animal Planet second hand and got what I believe to be all the Battat bootlegs they made. Here are two sizes of their Edmontonia labeled as "Ankylosaurus" next to the real deal:

The Styracosaurus next to its counterpart:

It's a shame they tampered with the left side of his face, its beak really throws off the look.

and the rest.

I was most intrigued (other than the Styracosaurus bootleg since I had been searching for it) to find something I've never seen before, this looks like a knockoff of the Battat Amargasaurus!

There was also this cute little Jasman Brachylophosaurus knockoff that's glow-in-the-dark!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

BlueKrono

avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V. Did you buy these from a store? I have kind of niche interests so I'm not familiar with them all, but I know that Amargasaurus has been around for years and years.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Skorpio V.

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 21, 2023, 05:56:32 AMavatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V. Did you buy these from a store? I have kind of niche interests so I'm not familiar with them all, but I know that Amargasaurus has been around for years and years.

To my knowledge, ToysRUs sold and still does sometimes sell buckets of halfway decent chinasaurs (in Canada at least, not sure about global distribution) with some being decent original sculpts and others being bootlegs, and the ones I shared fit the latter category. I got this lot secondhand through Facebook Marketplace as the ones included have been discontinued for Lord knows how long. The seller said what they were selling had a mix of various sets, which is why you'll see two different Stegosaurus bootlegs. It might not show up on camera but on top of the different paintjobs, they have different levels of quality in their mould, it's especially glaring looking at their seamlines. They both have "Stegosaurus Made in China" printed on them but the lighter painted and better moulded one has the year "1999" so my best guess is that the original run of these knockoffs were that year.

These are the labels that came on the bucket the seller gave to me.

On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Concavenator

Better late than never!

P. S. Take advantage while you still can, folks.  :'(

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on August 21, 2023, 03:10:32 PM

Better late than never!

P. S. Take advantage while you still can, folks.  :'(
As always, simply the best value for the money. I wish that Safari still made dinosaurs in this 1/25-1/35 range. Maybe someday again.

Fembrogon

The Diabloceratops is probably one of my favorite Safari dinos from the past several years. The Qianzhousaurus is very good too, even though I'm not fond of its color scheme.

avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V., that knockoff Amargasaurus is interesting! I definitely had a tub or two of those same dinosaurs as a kid, down to the same label (prob still do, just in storage right now), but I've never seen the Amarga before. I certainly never realized any of those toys were Battat knockoffs when I was a kid, although it seems obvious now.

I had just one new arrival this weekend, thanks to the Creative Beast Power Con sale. Medusaceratops(FC) is probably the last of the Ceratopsian Series I'll be pursuing in the foreseeable future; there are a couple of others I'd like, but they're too big/pricey or just not a priority. This Fans' Choice figure, however, looked SO good from all the other photos online that I couldn't say no. More photos to come this week in my collection thread.

ceratopsian

Personally I find the FC Medusaceratops one of the most appealing of all the (many) BotM ceratopsians in my collection avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon.

Faelrin

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon I have similar sentiments to avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian. So much more beautiful in hand as you get to play around with the iridescence in the light. Which reminds me that I am way overdue on getting my review for this one finished and submitted. I should work on getting that done tonight.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

S @SidB Most of their recent figures are around that scale anyways, aren't they?

What is increasingly rare is the prospect of we getting another Watson ceratopsid again. There used to be a new one every year. A pity about that. I don't doubt we will be getting more Watson tyrannosaurs, and that's not too bad, he excels at them after all!

AcroSauroTaurus

A few recent additions.
JW Dino Trackers Orkoraptor

JW Dino Trackers Irritator

JW Hammond Collection Metriacanthosaurus

PNSO Carcharodontosaurus

PNSO Therizinosaurus
I am the Dinosaur King!

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on August 21, 2023, 08:53:07 PMS @SidB Most of their recent figures are around that scale anyways, aren't they?

What is increasingly rare is the prospect of we getting another Watson ceratopsid again. There used to be a new one every year. A pity about that. I don't doubt we will be getting more Watson tyrannosaurs, and that's not too bad, he excels at them after all!
Sorry, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , it's not that good for me. This year's Wild Safari offerings work out this way so far, scale-wise:
            Majungosaurus  1/20 too large
            Utahraptor     1/18 too large
            Estmmenosusuchus 1/24, somewhat too big and not a dinosaur
            Kentrosaurus    1/40 okay size, but I have the original sculpt, which is identical except for the color
            Stegouros       1/12  too large

Great figures  so far, but just won't fit into my dioramas, scalewise. 2023 hasn't been kind to me as far as Safari is concerned (and Safari figures are the largest, numerically, among my collections). Not complaining though, as HLG and others have plugged the gap.

Concavenator

S @SidB Oh, I understand. I wasn't sure any of this year's releases from them so far fit into that scale range, but I was thinking of some of their other recent figures like their Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx, which are around that scale. I don't think you should worry about Safari abandoning that scale though, more than abandoning it, it looks like they went with larger scales for their recent pieces as they represent taxa that would otherwise be smallish. Looks like Safari doesn't use a fixed scale so they just come up with whichever scale they think would be good for rendering a decently-sized and detailed figure, rather than opting to please those collectors who are more strict about the scale of the figures they collect. As always happens with collecting (and pretty much with everything in general  ;D ) there will be tradeoffs.

I'm personally glad they've chosen to release some figures of relatively smaller animals, as these are seemingly increasingly neglected from the likes of Haolonggood, Eofauna and PNSO. I'm also glad they've done them at a larger scale as I don't care about scale inconsistencies and tend to prefer larger, more detailed figures. Every collector is a different world!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: