News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Retrosaurus @Retrosaurus you found a carnegie Giganotosaurus locally? Lucky you.

Roselaar

JP30 line is in! Also, the coolest JP action figure I never knew I wanted:

SidB

The HLG Carnotaurus, my latest acquisition, arrived via Canada Post this afternoon. Here she is in the company of PNSO's Carno:

The hunt

The HLG has a rather lower stance than the older PNSO

The dorsal silouettes show significant differences in body proportions

Note the evolution of scalation in the design/manufacturing processes

Paleo Flo

A very good new incarnation of our lovely meateating bull...
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

SidB

Quote from: Paleo Flo on September 20, 2023, 08:40:59 AMA very good new incarnation of our lovely meateating bull...
Quite so, maybe not absolutely perfect (tail base somewhat thinner than it should be, for instance), but still very good, if not absolutely perfect (whatever that means). I'm pleased to have it as part of my collections. It doesn't bother me that various figures are not always the most perfect in every respect. They always have some, several or many points of real value about them and are of historical interest as exemplars of our growth in knowledge at a given point in time and/or of the growth in design/fabrication capabilities of paleo-artists and the companies.

Flaffy

After a recent trip down to the Jurassic Coast in Dorset, I just had to get a haul on some sea monsters!

Will be using the PNSO Ophthalmosaurus as a Nannopterygius as per L @Leyster 's analysis, and the PNSO Ectenosaurus as a Utatsusaurus stand-in as the sculpt doesn't really feel like a Mosasaurid save for the crudely sculpted pterygoid teeth. Hoping for a nice Plesiosaurus and updated Pliosaurus figure in the near future to round out my Kimmeridge display. ;)

Sim

Today I received:

1. Schleich Tarbosaurus.  I love this figure!  Its colouration is very appealing to me.  I'm happy to have both it and the PNSO Tarbosaurus as two very good representations of possibly my favourite tyrannosauroid.  It's also nice to have Tarbosaurus in two different scales.

2. Schleich Gastonia.  Another one.  It was painted worse than my first one, so I scraped off some of the dark streak near the nose of my first one so that I was satisfied with it and I'm keeping that one.

Ikessauro

Look what I got! 
Tubbz NHM Exclusive T.rex and NHM Expo Patagotitan.

But unfortunatelly my Patagotitan arrived damaged, which is quite frustrating considering how expensive it was to get one.The way the folks at the NHM Shop packaged it was kinda absurd. They put the Tubbz T.rex in the bottom of the box, covered it with a ton of packing paper, then put the patagotitan on top and closed the box, leaving the figure to rub against the cardboard all the way from the  UK to Brazil. Not a complete disaster, but I'd expect better packing skills from a MUSEUM shop. I'll try to restore the paint, not sure if that will look good enough, but there's not much else I can do.

Sim

Today I received the following:

1. Haolonggood brown Daspletosaurus.  In person this is more brown than purple, but still very nice!

2. Haolonggood brown Pachyrhinosaurus.  The two Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus have my favourite colour schemes on any prehistoric figure!  I'm so happy to have both now!  I carefully removed some of the pupil paint to give the brown Pachyrhinosaurus circular pupils.  I'm very happy with it now! :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on September 21, 2023, 04:52:56 PMToday I received the following:

2. Haolonggood brown Pachyrhinosaurus.  The two Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus have my favourite colour schemes on any prehistoric figure!  I'm so happy to have both now!  I carefully removed some of the pupil paint to give the brown Pachyrhinosaurus circular pupils.  I'm very happy with it now! :)

The paint jobs really are great. Glad the pupils were easy enough to modify!

Quote from: Flaffy on September 20, 2023, 04:32:53 PMAfter a recent trip down to the Jurassic Coast in Dorset, I just had to get a haul on some sea monsters!

Will be using the PNSO Ophthalmosaurus as a Nannopterygius as per L @Leyster 's analysis, and the PNSO Ectenosaurus as a Utatsusaurus stand-in as the sculpt doesn't really feel like a Mosasaurid save for the crudely sculpted pterygoid teeth. Hoping for a nice Plesiosaurus and updated Pliosaurus figure in the near future to round out my Kimmeridge display. ;)

Nice group! It's weird how few good figures there are of Plesiosaurus specifically. At least Kaiyodo's are pretty good.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Thanks Tim!

Regarding the lack of good Plesiosaurus figures, I find it strange how few good figures of long-necked plesiosauroids there are.  They are arguably the most iconic and well-known type of Mesozoic marine reptile yet companies seem to mostly just want to make mosasauroids and pliosauroids now.  The best long-necked plesiosauroid figure is still the 2013 Wild Safari Elasmosaurus.  It annoys me that PNSO hasn't made a long-necked plesiosauroid yet they've made three mosasauroids and three ichthyosaurs.

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: Flaffy on September 20, 2023, 04:32:53 PMAfter a recent trip down to the Jurassic Coast in Dorset,

How was the trip? What is there to do when you're there?

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 20, 2023, 10:16:36 PMI'll try to restore the paint, not sure if that will look good enough, but there's not much else I can do.

Ouch. I hope you manage to repair it.
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

crazy8wizard

I was going to save this recent score for when I post a full shot to my collection thread at the end of this month but this is just too exciting not to share.
I managed to track down a Bullyland Batrachotomus, one of my most sought after figures.

Unfortunately the paint is pretty heavily damaged which is disappointing but fixable. I could either restore it and spot paint the areas where the paint has worn off or repaint the whole thing entirely with a new scheme (something I'm hesitant about since it's so uncommon)

I figure if I do that I'd base it off of the diorama model it's actually based on in Stuttgart.

BlueKrono

Congratulations! That thing is well loved.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: crazy8wizard on September 21, 2023, 11:04:31 PMUnfortunately the paint is pretty heavily damaged which is disappointing but fixable. I could either restore it and spot paint the areas where the paint has worn off or repaint the whole thing entirely with a new scheme (something I'm hesitant about since it's so uncommon)

I think part of the charm is the play wear. What a wonderful artefact.

My collection is here

Flaffy

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 21, 2023, 07:42:46 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on September 20, 2023, 04:32:53 PMAfter a recent trip down to the Jurassic Coast in Dorset,

How was the trip? What is there to do when you're there?

The trip was wonderful! Plent to do for dino-nerds like us ;) . Will compile pics in a separate thread to post.

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: Flaffy on September 22, 2023, 02:03:02 PMThe trip was wonderful! Plent to do for dino-nerds like us ;) . Will compile pics in a separate thread to post.

Thanks, please ping me. It'll help me plan my trip (when I eventually go, it's been on my todo list for ages.)

My collection is here

Faelrin

Borealopelta has arrived. I got tired of holding out and paid the $17+ on Amazon for it. I'm also already in the process of getting a lengthy review of this done for the blog. In fact I went right to work on it before even coming here to post these pics (gonna have more in the Mattel thread):

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ikessauro

Quote from: crazy8wizard on September 21, 2023, 11:04:31 PMI managed to track down a Bullyland Batrachotomus, one of my most sought after figures.

Unfortunately the paint is pretty heavily damaged which is disappointing but fixable. I could either restore it and spot paint the areas where the paint has worn off or repaint the whole thing entirely with a new scheme (something I'm hesitant about since it's so uncommon)
I figure if I do that I'd base it off of the diorama model it's actually based on in Stuttgart.
I'd say you should try to restore the color matching the original one.
I have become used to touching up paint from my models. At first I did it with fear or ruining the models, but as I acummulated experience, trying to perfectly match the original paint job has become a really enjoyable and relaxing activity to me. Just seeing your model I feel the urge to grab my paints and brushes and start to work. The gears in my head already started turning, calculating which color to mix with which one to get the base color, then which other paint to use as wash or dry brush. It is really fun. It is just immensely satisfying to slowly paint away the damage of a model.
My last one was the recently acquired Patagotitan from NHM that arrived damaged. Here's a before and after.

SidB

My latest arrival, Dayong the PNSO Yangchuanosaurus. This is the third Yangchuanosaurus that PNSO has released, and here are all three together, harassing the Chungkingosaurus that forms part of the diorama set previously made. Note the much larger size of the original. I employ the mini as a juvenile, of course.

Please excuse the relative darkness of the images, they are the product of snapshots taken at midnight in a poorly lit room.

The presence of lips was both unexpected and very welcome. I hope that this practice continues with PNSO's theropods.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: