News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triceratops83's Ornithischians- Rebirth from page 14

Started by triceratops83, December 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Great collection of Stegosaurus figures. I know it is one of the world's most popular dinosaurs, but it's nice how much variety there is, and up to date offerings there are. It's also interesting how much the green and brown or orange plates theme is prevalent. It's been a thing since I was a child too, if not longer. Hard for me to imagine them in any other coloration. Almost doesn't feel right.

Hard to believe I'm still behind on adding one of these (if not several) to my own collection, beyond the 2018 Mattel one which is based on the film designs (and a strange mix of the JW and TLW designs at that).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

triceratops83

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Yeah, if for whatever reason I actually encountered a real living Stegosaurus, and it turned out to NOT be green, I think I'd be somewhat disappointed.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

That is quite a herd! The Zuru version looks like it has lived a very full life.

I think avatar_Tylosaurus @Tylosaurus will want to see these, too :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 07, 2022, 08:39:03 PMThat is quite a herd!
Yeah, But I'm not gonna go for a complete collection this time - Just the figures I like. For instance I picked up the British Museum Toyway Stegosaurus and the first Mojo one, but they were just too ugly.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

That sounds sensible. Plenty of hideous exemplars out there worth avoiding.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

triceratops83

I meant to post these weeks ago, but my computer's been glitching out. But here are my other stegosaurs.

PNSO Chungkingosaurus.

Battat Dacentrurus and Carnegie Miragaia.

Various CollectA

Both Schleich Kentrosaurus.

PNSO Miragaia and Tuojiangosaurus.

PNSO Huayangosaurus and Chungkingosaurus.

Toyway Kentrosaurus and Vitae Wuerhosaurus.

And for something different here are the PNSO mini stegosaurs in closeup.
Wuerhosaurus.

Tuojiangosaurus

Miragaia.

Kentrosaurus.

Faelrin

PNSO really spoiled us for choice of stegosaur genera didn't they? That said I hope either they or Safari Ltd does a new Kentrosaurus. Long overdue for one.

Impressive seeing so many of these together.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

triceratops83

Quote from: Faelrin on November 16, 2022, 12:17:17 AMPNSO really spoiled us for choice of stegosaur genera didn't they? That said I hope either they or Safari Ltd does a new Kentrosaurus. Long overdue for one.

Impressive seeing so many of these together.

I'd really like a Safari Kentrosaurus. In fact, the old Safari Kentrosaurus is the only figure I really miss in this collection.

Quote from: SidB on November 16, 2022, 12:58:08 AMTerrific assemblage.

Yeah, Stegosaurs really make for a photogenic group. Probably the quintessential group of Dinosaurs.

Halichoeres

Stegosaurs really are a great group. Obviously distinct from anything now alive, a little bit alien, presumably a bit derpy, yet graceful and powerful. Did you have a hard time hunting down the Carnegie Miragaia?

Stegotyranno420

avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 , I love all of your stegosaurs, such a staple yet underrated group.
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 17, 2022, 06:37:52 PMStegosaurs really are a great group. Obviously distinct from anything now alive, a little bit alien, presumably a bit derpy, yet graceful and powerful. Did you have a hard time hunting down the Carnegie Miragaia?
Exactly how I feel about them, you perfectly captured my words

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 17, 2022, 06:37:52 PMStegosaurs really are a great group. Obviously distinct from anything now alive, a little bit alien, presumably a bit derpy, yet graceful and powerful. Did you have a hard time hunting down the Carnegie Miragaia?

I was on the lookout for a while, but then one just popped up on eBay, though I had to pay through the nose for it. I've gotta admit, I've been pretty lucky over the years in getting the rare figures I've wanted. Just a matter of searching, waiting and then depleting my bank account at the opportune moment.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 17, 2022, 07:46:05 PMavatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 , I love all of your stegosaurs, such a staple yet underrated group.

Thanks, I knew YOU'D like 'em!

triceratops83

I've been whittling my collection down again (I guess I don't like clutter), but the one thing that's consistent is my diorama of classic dinosaurs, my "Age of Reptiles" mural. Anyway, I need opinions.

Should I use toy trees like in the following -

Triassic

Jurassic

Cretaceous

Mesozoic reptiles

OR how about a collage of pictures behind, freeing up some space for the dinosaurs.

OR do I skip it all and just have the dinosaurs against a blank wall, without all the clutter.

As for my selection here, I'm quite happy with the choices and consider it a compact sampling of the classic dinosaurs. Eight dinosaurs, from each of the Mesozoic periods. Four each of Saurischians and Ornithischians, Two Theropods, Two Sauropodomorphs, Two Thyreophorans and Two Cerapoda. And to top it off a Pterosaur and a Plesiosaur.

Also any suggestions as to how I can better display the Pteranodons would be helpful. They look awkward stuck to the wall.

So yeah, which is the better option? Appreciate any opinions.

Leyster

I'd say trees give them a more original look
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

I would go for the "pics on the background" option. Gives a similar effect as with the trees being physically present but without taking up the space they do. After all, those pics don't really take up any space, do they? They just seem to be leaning on the wall.

So that option and the "nothing at all" option would take up pretty much the same space, and at least having those pics on the background would make the display more visually interesting.

triceratops83

Quote from: Leyster on February 17, 2024, 11:32:12 AMI'd say trees give them a more original look

You mean because most people don't have trees as part of their collection?

Quote from: Concavenator on February 17, 2024, 11:48:47 AMI would go for the "pics on the background" option. Gives a similar effect as with the trees being physically present but without taking up the space they do. After all, those pics don't really take up any space, do they? They just seem to be leaning on the wall.

So that option and the "nothing at all" option would take up pretty much the same space, and at least having those pics on the background would make the display more visually interesting.

You're right, having the pics is better than nothing at all.

Here's another option, both. But it does look a bit messy.

Leyster

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 17, 2024, 12:16:42 PM
Quote from: Leyster on February 17, 2024, 11:32:12 AMI'd say trees give them a more original look

You mean because most people don't have trees as part of their collection?

That too, but it a sort of natural feel the background photos lack.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

triceratops83

Quote from: Leyster on February 17, 2024, 04:51:31 PMThat too, but it a sort of natural feel the background photos lack.

Ah, so you reckon keep it more like a diorama. I could just use less trees too - in the last pic I left out the Baobab and that freed up a bit of space.

marisaura

for what it's worth, i greatly prefer the diorama approach - the trees bring a sense of depth and realism to the scene that the pictures look flat and lifeless in comparison to. i also think the way they divide the three sections of the shelf by time period is really effective; it's hard for the eye to immediately tell which period each figure belongs to without them.

triceratops83

Quote from: marisaura on February 18, 2024, 12:14:59 AMfor what it's worth, i greatly prefer the diorama approach - the trees bring a sense of depth and realism to the scene that the pictures look flat and lifeless in comparison to. i also think the way they divide the three sections of the shelf by time period is really effective; it's hard for the eye to immediately tell which period each figure belongs to without them.

Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards keeping the trees.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: