News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

With a paintjob like that I have to assume it is a custom. If it's not then I guess I'm getting another one of these.

Carnoking

Quote from: Gwangi on March 19, 2024, 05:01:23 PMWith a paintjob like that I have to assume it is a custom. If it's not then I guess I'm getting another one of these.

The real giveaway would be if it had painted nails!

andrewsaurus rex

well if i had to guess, i would say it's not just a custom paint job on a mish mash of Mattel parts.  Most if not all of the elements look new, just similar in style to Mattel's previous pods.

That the paint job looks too good for Mattel could just mean it is a hand painted prototype.  So i would say it's ligit.  No indication of size but one would assume that it's in the same size range as the others. 

I remember when first pics of Mamench surfaced there was skepticism then too. 

The neck actually looks too long for Diplodocus and the tail too short.  Front legs have a wonky pose but it's a better effort than the Mamench imo.  Could work better as a Barosaurus maybe?....in a nice rearing pose.

Thanks for posting the pic.  Hopefully something to look forward to.

Gwangi

Quote from: Carnoking on March 19, 2024, 05:14:56 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 19, 2024, 05:01:23 PMWith a paintjob like that I have to assume it is a custom. If it's not then I guess I'm getting another one of these.

The real giveaway would be if it had painted nails!

That's a good point!

Eatmycar

So relieved I skipped Apato and Dread... but I just don't know where this beautiful thing is going to live in my house. It's stellar, frankly.

MLMjp

Flaffy

Danggggg, I wouldn't have expected Mattel of all companies to give such an elaborate (relative) paint scheme. Much better legs compared to their previous sauropod the Mamenchisaurus, which looked like they were overinflated balloons.

On a somewhat related note, how has the rubber neck on the HC Brachiosaurus held up for those who own it? Any reports of cracking or tearing?

LucasLiu

how anatomically accurate is the dip?

MLMjp

Collect Jurassic has shared the images on twitter, so that means there's a 90% chance of it being real, and the more I look at it, the more it real it seems.

That neck should be shorter though, that would fix the proportions without having to elongate the tail.

Part of me is happy because this a childhood dream come true, the three most famous sauropods (Brachio, Apato, Diplo) have a toy in the Jurassic World toyline. But I only have space for one more sauropod and still don't have the Mamenchisaurus which does appear (briefly) in a film, unlike Diplodocus.

I already said no to Dreadnoughtus, but not getting the Mamenchisaurus feels wrong, but Diplodocus is a classic species.

Damn it!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on March 19, 2024, 08:50:34 PMDanggggg, I wouldn't have expected Mattel of all companies to give such an elaborate (relative) paint scheme. Much better legs compared to their previous sauropod the Mamenchisaurus, which looked like they were overinflated balloons.

On a somewhat related note, how has the rubber neck on the HC Brachiosaurus held up for those who own it? Any reports of cracking or tearing?

Yes the legs are one reason I said it's not a custom, they obviously fixed them in this one.  It would be pretty cool to get two of these and switch out the legs on the Mamenchi.

Neck on my HC Brachio has held up from what I can tell. I haven't reposed it or anything though.

I currently have all five sauropods in my bedroom here. lol

andrewsaurus rex

Don't be bound by what's in the movies.  Get what you like and want. the most.

As for LucasLiu's question:  with the few pics available, the neck is too long and tail too short for Diplodocus  (look at side view illustrations of Diplodocus online and you'll see it).   The legs are too heavy and thick but so are all the other Mattel sauropods' legs and these ones aren't so bad.   But this toy will probably be over 4 feet long and is one of Mattel's better ones, it seems.    I'm probably going to use it as a Barosaurus, which was basically a Diplodocus with a longer neck.

Faelrin

Jurassic Outpost shared the pics, which were posted on another account on instagram, so I guess that means it is official. I guess I'll add it to the op then. Probably the upcoming Legacy Collection reveal.

Makes sense to do since it is the only FK diorama animal to not receive a figure back in the day (would have been at least nice to do the babies considering the smaller size, but Mussaurus was similar I guess). It's also the only one to have had a mini figure (other then the new Kryptops from last year) for all this time, but no mainline figure, so it is good to see it finally rectified after all this time.

Definitely one of their most beautiful sauropods yet. I'm in no place to pick it up (still behind on the Dreadnoughtus and Mamenchisaurus as well), but man do I want it. Absolutely nuts to see them have this many giant sauropod figures after all this time, but that means they are thankfully selling well, ever since the first Legacy Brachiosaurus released in 2019. No company from before even comes close to having done this many.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

True enough.  It's hard to believe any of these huge sauropod figures exist, let alone so many.  I couldn't believe it when the legacy Brach was released.  But i figured for sure it was a one off, given the iconic status Brach has in the first movie.

But to have FIVE now (and counting?) is truly amazing.  Must be lots of kids, small and big, who have their houses filled with these giants...

Eatmycar

I remember when the original Brachiosaurus came out... I found myself at 8:00 AM to Target to pick this thing up (after a late night shift at my restaurant, so I was EXHAUSTED), half-asleep and groggy because I thought it would be a one-time, limited-run kind of thing.

After all, playsets in the action figure world have all but disappeared!

Now, I'm looking at my Legacy Brachiosaurus, Hammond Brachiosaurus, and Mamenchiosaur trying to figure out *where* I'll put Diplodocus. I'm dreading the space it'll take up, but I always feel like a child when assembling these things. The whimsy of putting together a giant dinosaur figure can't be matched.

MLMjp

What makes this situation even more unique is the fact that not only they have made these huge sauropods, but the fact that they are making one that's not even in the films!

Brachiosaurus, Apatosaurus, Dreadnougthus, Mamenchisaurus... Mattel took the risk of making these huge pieces of plastic hoping that people would buy them because they appear in the films.

But Diplodocus? The FK diorama was barely visible, not enough to justify producing a huge toy of an adult that we didn't see alive in the film, yet here we are. Granted, Diplodocus is a popular dinosaur so that's a small plus to consider, but still.

Mattel makes mistakes, sometimes really bad ones, but then they make things like these, you can't help to say...wow. We might be living in the best timeline after all.

(Mostly)

ItsTwentyBelow

Dang, no way I can justify buying a fifth jumbo sauropod figure, but this looks like one of the most eye pleasing yet! Oh well.

Have to finally take them out SOME time, but my Dread and Mamench are still in the box because I simply have nowhere to put them right now that wouldn't look awfully tacky.

Flaffy

One big big thing Mattel could improve upon regarding their colossal figures is the ability to disassemble them.

I still don't understand why Mattel felt that it was absolutely necessary to make the assembly permanent. Would make them much more collector and storage friendly.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Flaffy on March 21, 2024, 12:02:13 AMOne big big thing Mattel could improve upon regarding their colossal figures is the ability to disassemble them.

I still don't understand why Mattel felt that it was absolutely necessary to make the assembly permanent. Would make them much more collector and storage friendly.

The sauropods aren't as hard to store as the colossal theropods. IMHO

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on March 21, 2024, 12:02:13 AMOne big big thing Mattel could improve upon regarding their colossal figures is the ability to disassemble them.

Probably to keep kids from taking them apart?

Carnoking

100% agree with this

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: