News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, February 01, 2024, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on July 29, 2024, 11:42:24 PMI didn't expect to be wanting a titanosaurian figure as I tend to find this group uninteresting, but I like how the Wild Safari Saltasaurus looks, I like its size and it's probably the titanosaurian species I'm most interested in.

I feel that Saltasaurus is one of those classic sauropods that should be in the collection of any avid dinosaur collector. While the diffuse osteoderm distribution may be a bit of a paleo-meme, the look is quite iconic.

Sim

I think Saltasaurus is quite iconic.  Regarding Megalosaurus skull reconstructions, I think the one I posted is most like the skulls of Torvosaurus and Wiehenvenator.  The one by Dan Folkes is more like them than Hartman's though.

Tecovas

What a great bunch of reveals! This is definitely the most impressed I've been by Safari in a long time. The Saltasaurus and Megalosaurus are must-buys for me. We'll see on the Nanuqsaurus.

Quiversaurus

I'm impressed by the Megalosaurus. Something about it is just so pleasing to look at, I can't stop going back and gazing at the product images.

Now for in-hand pics, and comparison pics with PNSO's Megalosaurus...

Glad to hear 1:35 is a possibility for an 8.6m individual! avatar_Sim @Sim

Paleo Flo

Maybe I will add the Safari Megalosaurus to my collection.

Than I would have a little herd of the genus. I own the classic Invicta one, the lipped one from CollectA and the lipless PNSO one.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Concavenator

Quote from: Concavenator on May 08, 2024, 01:57:30 PMCan always count on Safari for a great dromaeosaur figure.

And here we go again!  8) Well, you may have an idea about how excited I am to see that Austroraptor!!!  ;D I also wasn't sure we'd ever get an accurate Austroraptor model (or another unenlagiine BotM Buitreraptor aside), so this is amazing news!! For me, Safari's Austroraptor is one of the most exciting (and unique, too) dino-figure releases in a while.  :) Needless to say I'm grabbing it the millisecond I see it available.

As per usual, thankful to Safari for actually paying attention to dromaeosaurids, and I hope there's more to come!  ^-^

And IMO, Safari's Megalosaurus will be the best on the market as well, topping both CollectA's and PNSO's versions.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shane on July 30, 2024, 05:53:14 PMSafari does not own the molds and therefore cannot create new figures of Carnegie designs. If Carnegie had wanted to confinue producing those sculpts, they would've had to continue with a different company for production (this happened with the Smithsonian insects). As to why they did not do that, I couldn't say.

Huh, I never knew that. I always assumed the molds were Safari's but something in the contract prevented further production. That's good to know. I do wish that museum lines were still a thing. It seems like most museums are just carrying the same generic crap from some third-party vendor. The best museum shop I've seen in the last five years or so was the Arizona Museum of Natural History in the Phoenix suburbs, which...is not the one I would have expected.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

I still remember the days when I could visit certain museums and see an entire wall of the gift shop dedicated almost entirely to the Carnegie Collection. It was glorious. I don't think any kind of gift shop or toy store has ever excited me the same way as seeing those Carnegies.
I don't know why Carnegie decided to end their relationship with Safari Ltd.; I think the assumption was they didn't see it as profitable anymore. I can only hope the degradation of museum gift shop selections has been a result of budget realities, as opposed to customer demand (THAT would be depressing).

Sim

It was Safari that ended the partnership with Carnegie.  It was explained on this forum in the past, if I remember right it was that Carnegie had first required Safari to not produce prehistoric mammals and eventually wanted Safari to stop producing Wild Safari figures entirely.  Safari didn't accept that and ended their partnership with Carnegie.  It was definitely the right choice to make if you ask me, the Wild Safari figures we've been getting in more recent years tend to be much better than any Carnegie Collection figures.

SidB

Much as I liked Forrest Rogers work from her final years with the Carnegie, I have to agree with you, avatar_Sim @Sim . Safari was and is better off cutting the tie with the Carnegie Museum.

Primeval12

Jeez, I didn't realize that they were being so controlling (and almost nasty?) about it. Good call on them to cut ties!

Carnoking

I still think the later Carnegie figures are among the best things Safari have ever produced (awkward poses aside) but if it came down to Safari producing what they want vs only being able to make what Carnegie says, I'd say I can live without the Carnegie line.

Fembrogon

Thanks for the refresher, avatar_Sim @Sim; I remember the mammal fiasco now. I guess it was turning into a toxic relationship for Safari. Thankfully Safari seems to largely have been thriving without the museum, recent pipeline issues notwithstanding. It will be an exciting day when Safari finishes updating every genus from the Carnegie Collection.

Stegotyranno420

Wow, the megalosaurus is quite a looker. I thought it was done by Doug at first, but upon closer inspection I dont see it. It look 3d printed type, no?
Nonetheless, Doug's austroraptor is nice too, but personally the colour is not my cup of tea.
The megalosaurus can rival PNSO  :))  :))  :))

Perotorum

The saltasaurus would be a nice addition, always nice to get a new titanosaurian figure.

SpartanSquat

I remember carnegie ended abruptly with safari, but didnt know they didnt want prehistoric mammals. Makes sense why there werent many prehistoric mammals till 2017.

Sim

S @Shane, the Wild Safari prehistoric world page on Safari's website only shows the 2017 Tyrannosaurus.  Can it be fixed?

Shane

Quote from: Sim on August 02, 2024, 09:00:26 PMS @Shane, the Wild Safari prehistoric world page on Safari's website only shows the 2017 Tyrannosaurus.  Can it be fixed?

Something must have happened with the tagging on the back end. This has been fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

mgaguilar

I'm quite late to the party but this year's releases have been quite wonderful, yes?? Like they started off with an absolute killer of a sculpt with the Theri, and then Austroraptor, Megalosaurus, and Nanuqsaurus in the latter half make for a solid showing this year.

Torvosaurus

I'll get the Saltasaurus and probably the Megalosaurus. The Nanuqsaurus is much better than the CollectA one, IMHO. The drooping tail on the CollectA Nanuqsaurus is odd. As for the Austroraptor, the bright green color over the entire body makes me think of a peacock. I guess it might make sense if it was breeding, but doesn't make sense for an overall coloration. I guess it would likely be more crypto-colored for a carnivorous lifestyle, even if its main prey was fish(?). That bright green just doesn't seem camouflaged enough. It would be good for wooing the ladies, though.

Torvo

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: