News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

On some abstract level I understand people's annoyance, but I don't share it or relate to it at all. It affects my life very little when Safari reveals or releases its figures, and if anything having them sprinkled throughout the year gives me a bigger chunk of the year when I can look forward to something from them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoxels

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 14, 2022, 06:14:29 PM
On some abstract level I understand people's annoyance, but I don't share it or relate to it at all. It affects my life very little when Safari reveals or releases its figures, and if anything having them sprinkled throughout the year gives me a bigger chunk of the year when I can look forward to something from them.
Yeah at the end of the day its just plastic dinosaurs, nothing to get angry about.
I will note that from an earlier comment about "how come Safari Ltd. has these production samples but won't show them", if they revealed a figure at the beginning of 2022 and it did not release till the end of the year for example, some more casual collectors may not even remember to look back for that figure.
This has become very apparent with the way Papo does their reveals.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

ceratopsian

I'm with avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres on this one. In fact I rather like the reveals spread out. I prefer it when they don't drag out things like "guess the silhouette" for too long but otherwise I'm happy with whatever reveal schedule the firm chooses. The main thing for me is that they have something to reveal!

ItsTwentyBelow

Yeah, shoot, I don't mean to bag on Safari. I'd say they are still my favorite manufacturer. They've also become harder to find around my home in person, though. The last good source of current Safari prehistorics in south King County was listed as "permanently closed" online when I drove past last week on my way home from a field job  :'(

Just that everyone else and Mattel has shown us what is coming this year at this point, so myself and surely others have already mentally budgeted for what we want in 2022, and whatever Safari has left to reveal will also have to fight for position in my wallet and shelf space, so to speak. Of course, that depends on their next releases.

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy I'm quite surprised we still don't have a Zuul figure yet. Very disappointed, considering it's an ankylosaur with really good material, and you know besides the name of course.

I also will agree about CollectA's way of doing reveals. I very much prefer that, although I can't lie about waking up excited about a surprise from either PNSO or Mattel. Like I said, even if it was one figure a month, it would be a little something (which is sort of what PNSO has been doing this year so far, though more like 2).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on April 16, 2022, 04:58:35 AM
I'm quite surprised we still don't have a Zuul figure yet. Very disappointed, considering it's an ankylosaur with really good material, and you know besides the name of course.
I wonder if giving prehistoric taxa pop culture names hinders their chances of being made into figures, as companies like Safari wouldn't want to risk running into any copyright issues. I can't imagine anyone making a Thanos simonattoi figure without getting in trouble, though I suppose no one's clamoring for that to begin with. Not that I dislike the name Zuul, I think it's fun and appropriate for the taxon.

suspsy

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on April 26, 2022, 02:12:46 AM
I'm quite surprised we still don't have a Zuul figure yet. Very disappointed, considering it's an ankylosaur with really good material, and you know besides the name of course.
I wonder if giving prehistoric taxa pop culture names hinders their chances of being made into figures, as companies like Safari wouldn't want to risk running into any copyright issues. I can't imagine anyone making a Thanos simonattoi figure without getting in trouble, though I suppose no one's clamoring for that to begin with. Not that I dislike the name Zuul, I think it's fun and appropriate for the taxon.

S @Shane, any input on that?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on April 26, 2022, 01:50:12 PM

I am not a lawyer, so I would hesitate to want to get into too much detail about something like this in an official capacity since this isn't my area of expertise.

I do know that trademarks often have pretty limited and specific applications, ie. a trademark that applies to a fictional character appearing in media and merchandise would not necessarily have sway over a representative of an actual organism that existed that happens to share its name, especially if that's the universally accepted, legitimate name of that organism.

But again, I'm not a legal expert and am not claiming to be.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on April 26, 2022, 05:01:54 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 26, 2022, 01:50:12 PM

I am not a lawyer, so I would hesitate to want to get into too much detail about something like this in an official capacity since this isn't my area of expertise.

I do know that trademarks often have pretty limited and specific applications, ie. a trademark that applies to a fictional character appearing in media and merchandise would not necessarily have sway over a representative of an actual organism that existed that happens to share its name, especially if that's the universally accepted, legitimate name of that organism.

But again, I'm not a legal expert and am not claiming to be.

I guess the safest way around it would be to include the full scientific name of the species, rather than just the genus name.

Faelrin

Yeah that's what they did with the Anzu wyliei (edit: and Hyaenodon gigas come to think of it), and Mattel similarly did with Siats meekerorum, and Moros intrepidus. Though all three of those have names based off of mythological beings, and not something from a media franchise, so it may have been done to avoid confusion with what they were named off of. It could easily be marketed as Zuul crurivastator instead like the former examples, or even Z. crurivastator if need be (as T. rex is frequently sold as, but often incorrectly such as T-Rex and so on. Edit: The Feathered Tyrannosaurus figure on Safari Ltd's website, is an example of this, named Feathered T-Rex).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

bmathison1972

There is no copyright on a Latin name. There would be no legal issues with them making a figure and only calling it Zuul or Thanos at the genus level. That these are Latin names, and that the figures would clearly represent those animals, there should be no legal reason for concern.

SenSx

My whishlist for the new upcoming Safari figures:

- Herrerasaurus
- Gallimimus
- Megalosaurus
- Cryolophosaurus
- Updated Dilophosaurus

I'm not too hopefull, no one wants to make Herrerasaurus or Gallimimus...

Fembrogon

Normally I would say not to count on another Dilophosaurus so soon; but we did get an updated Spinosaurus already, so who knows? (I certainly wouldn't complain)

SenSx

Quote from: Fembrogon on April 26, 2022, 10:39:28 PM
Normally I would say not to count on another Dilophosaurus so soon; but we did get an updated Spinosaurus already, so who knows? (I certainly wouldn't complain)

Well I'd said rerelease of popular dinosaurs like Dilophosaurus are still more likely than unknown ones like Herrerasaurus, Megalosaurus or Cryolophosaurus...
Gallimimus should have had its figure alwready as one of the JP1 dinos, but well, it seems no one likes them  :'(

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on April 27, 2022, 10:48:22 AM
Quote from: Fembrogon on April 26, 2022, 10:39:28 PM

Well I'd said rerelease of popular dinosaurs like Dilophosaurus are still more likely than unknown ones like Herrerasaurus, Megalosaurus or Cryolophosaurus...
Gallimimus should have had its figure alwready as one of the JP1 dinos, but well, it seems no one likes them  :'(
Re: the Gallimimus - you could say, some do like it, but likely far too few for the major companies to justify mass-producing it. BTW, I've always admired the approach of the old Carnegie line and CollectA towards these minor players - having a group display on one figure, like the old Carnegie Deinonychus trio. This would work well with Galllimimus too, I'd think, especially if the poses of the individual animals were varied. One can dream.

Sim

I think Herrerasaurus and Gallimimus, as well as Cryolophosaurus, are among the most likely to get made.  I think they're all popular enough, and if CollectA can mass produce Struthiomimus and Beishanlong which are less popular than Gallimimus, then Safari can mass-produce Gallimimus.  Safari has made less popular species than Gallimimus too, such as Malawisaurus, Plesiosuchus and Prestosuchus.  I don't think a new Dilophosaurus is likely as the changes to its appearance are minor, if a new Dilo is coming it's more likely to be due to a bigger, better size, but really, I expect a new Dilophosaurus from PNSO before Safari.  Megalosaurus I don't think will be made as it's very fragmentary.  I don't like group dioramas as figures so I'd prefer a single Gallimimus individual to be represented as a figure.

profnik

What about the wild safari prehistoric world collection of
Therizinosaurus with feather detail like the trailer from movie Jurassic world Dominion. Just like the old school 90's of safari ltd

Jurassic World Dominion therizinosaurus

An also
Wild Safari prehistoric world collection is
Dire wolf
Archelon
Paraceratherium
Cryolophosaurus
Herrerasaurus
Tiktaalik
Protoceratops or maybe kosmoceratops

Extinct Animals Toobs with dodo bird figurine

Life Before dinosaurs Toobs means Paleozoic ERA

Mythical realms collection of the
Loch Ness Monster from Scotland
Like the brand of shadowboxs myth and legends collection of Loch Ness monster with red eyes navy blue and lighter teal blue greenish reptilian skin color toy  Nessie of the dinosaurs. An cryptozoology Toobs of Loch Ness monsters figurine

An good luck mini
Saber tooth tiger

An good luck mini prehistoric fun pack

Concavenator

I wonder if Safari will continue to update the species that were released under the Carnegie line? If they were intending to, they haven't finished yet, there are still a few left (Maiasaura and Albertosaurus, among others).

I would have expected them to release an Albertosaurus instead of a Daspletosaurus to fulfill this, as well as a Saltasaurus instead of a Malawisaurus. Do you think the Daspletosaurus and Malawisaurus, from Safari's perspective, work as analogous to their Carnegie counterparts Albertosaurus and Saltasaurus respectively, and thereby won't release the latter? I was wondering about this because the Citipati was clearly meant as a replacement for the Carnegie Oviraptor (Safari even mentions on their site that Oviraptor depictions are based on Citipati, which suggests my point is right).

Flaffy

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: