News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 30, 2024, 09:32:12 PM

Huayangosaurus
Camarasaurus
Utahceratops
Einosaurus
Styracosaurus
Xenoceratops

4 of the last 6 are Ceratopsians. 5 months left before New year.

So 6 dinosaur left for coming within 5 months and 4 of them Ceratopsians? Doesn't sound realistic.

Hopefully some more too.

is one of the sauropods a brachiosaurus?

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: JimoAi on July 30, 2024, 10:29:00 PMis one of the sauropods a brachiosaurus?

One of them most likely Brachiosaurus or Giraffatitan.. Largest one probably Argentinosaurus or similar sized Titanosaur.

I don't think those two are for sure anymore, maybe they have changed their mind since they are not in black diagram anymore.

Torvosaurus

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 31, 2024, 01:16:04 AM
Quote from: JimoAi on July 30, 2024, 10:29:00 PMis one of the sauropods a brachiosaurus?

One of them most likely Brachiosaurus or Giraffatitan.. Largest one probably Argentinosaurus or similar sized Titanosaur.

I don't think those two are for sure anymore, maybe they have changed their mind since they are not in black diagram anymore.

They may be in lighter colors to differentiate them from each other rather than being reconsidered for production.

They fail to do a huge Argentinosaurus and I will be very, very upset with them.😡

Torvo

suspsy

I wish they would do more small sauropods.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

BlueKrono

Quote from: suspsy on July 31, 2024, 02:03:37 AMI wish they would do more small sauropods.

I'm still yearning for someone to do a Brachytrachelopan.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Turkeysaurus

I wish companies would make small sauropods instead of making large sauropods in a small scale.

Collecta Argentinosaurus is 24 cm long. At 1/35 scale that would make 8.4 meter animal. LoL.

Paleo Flo

I still hope for a 1:35 Giraffatitan/Brachiosaurus.

About the Amargasaurus...I have mixed feelings. The green one is really beautiful. In terms of the sail...the reconstruction history showed us, that every theory is always changing. First sail yes, than sail partial, than no sail, now a fleshed out one...
I don't know if the sail-question should stop someone from getting this if you like the model and the genus so much that you need one.

I haven't dicides yet.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Turkeysaurus

Amargasaurus is a famous dinosaur but it might still get a few years before next good quality scientifically accurate model.

It's a patience test basically. Having HLG one and waiting for the perfect amargasaurus is easier option.

If it was less famous dinosaur, it would be instant buy because uncertainty of it's future.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Paleo Flo on July 31, 2024, 08:58:12 AMI still hope for a 1:35 Giraffatitan/Brachiosaurus.

Since HAOLONGGOOD has released everything they announced, I wouldn't doubt that the Brachiosaurus will come.
 To me it would make sense not to release all the big sauropods in one year. Only the black figures graphic was slated for what is surely to expect in 2024.

Scrolling down the first post of this thread I can only say that it's nothing but impressive what HAOLONGGOOD has done in the first half of the year.

Looking at the Amargasaurus pics I guess it's a wonderful figure and it's a bit sad to read that some call it a "damn shame". Something I will never understand.

Paleo Flo

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 31, 2024, 12:19:52 PM
Quote from: Paleo Flo on July 31, 2024, 08:58:12 AMI still hope for a 1:35 Giraffatitan/Brachiosaurus.

Since HAOLONGGOOD has released everything they announced, I wouldn't doubt that the Brachiosaurus will come.
 To me it would make sense not to release all the big sauropods in one year. Only the black figures graphic was slated for what is surely to expect in 2024.

Scrolling down the first post of this thread I can only say that it's nothing but impressive what HAOLONGGOOD has done in the first half of the year.

Looking at the Amargasaurus pics I guess it's a wonderful figure and it's a bit sad to read that some call it a "damn shame". Something I will never understand.

Word bro!
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Concavenator

I will also be skipping the Amargasaurus for accuracy reasons. A pity, because it and the Maiasaura were my most hyped species from the teaser, but I place scientific accuracy over aesthetics and those two just don't do a good job at depicting those species. If they correct them, I'll be glad to get them. Otherwise, it's not the end of the world, I have other figures to catch up on (including some HLG ones; out of this year's lineup I do plan to get the Diabloceratops and surely the Styracosaurus too, and I have yet to get some of their other figures from last year as well).

I'll admit though HLG's Amargasaurus, as a figure, is pretty nice, the sculpt is lovely, both color schemes look great and it has what is arguably my favorite pose out of any sauropod figure I've seen.

I really wish it and the Maiasaura got modified... They modified the Ouranosaurus post-release, after all, and some corrections would be extremely helpful in these two cases.

If they don't fix them, at least I'd say it's likely PNSO will eventually update their Amargasaurus, hopefully they won't miss the mark when it comes to accuracy.

Quote from: SenSx on July 28, 2024, 04:56:51 PMIt's not worth it to modify it costwise, and it won't affect their sales.
Only hardcore dinosaurs fans like us care about that.
I won't buy that Amargasaurus for that reason, but they probably don't care.

Well, the Amargasaurus' inaccuracies are costing them sales (take a look at how many people are saying they're skipping it). The question is: "to what extent?".

On the other hand, I don't understand why some people are perplexed by people skipping a "scientific" figure because it fails to be "scientific". Sounds like a reasonable argument IMO (and not that it's our duty to assess other collector's criteria as reasonable or not). After all, it makes sense that us collectors (or some of us) have a set of criteria to follow when it comes to deciding what enters our collections and not; otherwise we'd probably run out of space and money in no time!

Quote from: SenSx on July 28, 2024, 04:56:51 PMIf I was able to learn the latest interpretations on Amargasaurus, they could have as well.

^^ This exactly.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 30, 2024, 09:32:12 PMHuayangosaurus
Camarasaurus
Utahceratops
Einosaurus
Styracosaurus
Xenoceratops

4 of the last 6 are Ceratopsians. 5 months left before New year.

So 6 dinosaur left for coming within 5 months and 4 of them Ceratopsians? Doesn't sound realistic.

Bring on the Styracosaurus;D

Quote from: Sim on July 30, 2024, 09:52:36 PMHaolonggood has said there are theropods coming from them, with intended release this year.

I'm very curious to find out what theropods they have prepared for this year, and I'm eager to see them too. They had improved quite a bit with their theropods as of late, so I'd expect the new ones to at least be equally as good.

suspsy

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 31, 2024, 02:20:16 AM
Quote from: suspsy on July 31, 2024, 02:03:37 AMI wish they would do more small sauropods.

I'm still yearning for someone to do a Brachytrachelopan.

Same. And Europasaurus and Magyarosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

thomasw100

First in hand pictures of the Amargasaurus as per Paleofiguras.

thomasw100

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 31, 2024, 12:19:52 PM

You certainly have a point that criticism tends to go overboard sometimes, considering the overall quality of each and every Haolonggood figure and the still very modest price.

I think that some of the harsher criticism that has been raised is nothing else than an expression of the disappointment and sadness about the scientific inaccuracies of some of the figures (Amarasaurus, Maiasaura) which would be very easily avoidable. People were waiting eagerly for the next Haolonggood release and were hoping that they would get the definitive figure, but then it comes out and has one of these inaccuracies.

It would not cost Haolonggood a lot of money to do a more thorough research and incorporate the result into the design of their figures. They could for example hire couple of paleontology masters students to do some of that research. Or they could involve some people from this forum for a review of their prototypes. This would be equivalent to the alpha testing process of computer software.

For my part, I will get the green variant of the Amargasaurus, but if the sail issue bothers me too much I will send it to Dinosaur Models Artworks for getting it fixed. I have settled on this route now for improving figures which I otherwise consider excellent.

Faelrin

It's so adorable. I can't wait to pick this one up.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

ordered a green Amarga myself.

Jose S.M.

A bit of a shame that is inaccurate because it's a very lovely sculpt! Looks so cute walking it its head high up like that haha

Turkeysaurus

Flaffy

Quote from: Paleo Flo on July 31, 2024, 08:58:12 AMAbout the Amargasaurus...I have mixed feelings. The green one is really beautiful. In terms of the sail...the reconstruction history showed us, that every theory is always changing. First sail yes, than sail partial, than no sail, now a fleshed out one...
I don't know if the sail-question should stop someone from getting this if you like the model and the genus so much that you need one.

The more critical error is the exclusion of the first unpaired spine, which all Amargasaurus figures on the market lack save for the Papo one. I would've replaced my PNSO Amargasaurus for the HLG one had they included it (even if it lacks a full sail). I don't believe this anatomical feature is quite as debatable as the sail's soft tissue.

Collectors who already own equally good Amargasaurus figures (e.g. PNSO, Carnegie), especially those that go by a one-figure-per-species rule may not feel a strong need to add another inaccurate one to their collection. I personally am on the fence still; it is among the most pleasing Amargasaurus I've seen, and the genus has been a childhood favourite of mines. The Battat Terra Amargasaurus still holds a special place in my heart afterall, went through a lot of trouble importing it halfway across the world back in 2015/16.

CarnotaurusKing

T @thomasw100 explained it very well. My choice of words perhaps came off a bit too harsh. I more meant it in the same way "woe is me" is often used. Like the rest of their catalog, the Amargasaurus is a gorgeous model, just the little details hold it back for my personal tastes. Really, I think this is the only model of theirs I've had any minor complaints with in a while. I'll reiterate, in terms of aesthetics, price and accuracy, this is still miles ahead of most of the competition nowadays.

I guess it's also that different people are bothered by different things. The crests on the Maiasaura and Ouranosaurus don't bother me much if at all, but others have been slightly more vitriolic about it. The head on the Tlatolophus is apparently not quite in line with the fossilized skull, and while that doesn't bother me, other people waited for the 3D printed model that was released with a Carnotaurus from a while back (can't remember the company that made it, I'm afraid). A similar case with the head of the Apatosaurus. Conversely, the Carnotaurus, for what is almost a perfect model, lacks the thick caudofemoralis it's been inferred to have, so it doesn't interest me personally. Likewise, the lower jaw of the Edmontonia looks to be a bit too thin (or maybe digging into the upper jaw in a kind of "crush-closed" position?), and the big double-pronged shoulder spike looks to be a bit lower on the model than expected based on the skeletal remains. These are details I can overlook however.

I guess the bottom line is people are different, and all the harm coming from such inaccuracies is just me and other people not being interested in buying those specific figures.

All that said, the Amargasaurus is so good looking that I'm second guessing how much of an issue the inaccurate sail really is. Anecdotally speaking, in tetrapods, long extensions of vertebrae tend to be fully covered in skin or other soft tissue. The only exception I can think of is Dimetrodon and maybe other basal synapsids (and even then, they are "exposed" only at the tips). I'm not too sure about any of this, if anyone knows of other examples, or if I'm just fully wrong, please let me know.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: