News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sideshow DINOSAURIA (with poll)

Started by postsaurischian, March 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are your 3 favourite Sideshow 'Dinosauria' models?

1. Allosaurus vs. Camarasaurus diorama
4 (22.2%)
2. Apatosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
3. Brachiosaurus ornament
0 (0%)
4. Carnotaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
5. Ceratosaurus
1 (5.6%)
6. Deinosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus diorama
3 (16.7%)
7. Dilophosaurus maquette
0 (0%)
8. Euoplocephalus in Egg maquette
0 (0%)
9. Gastonia
3 (16.7%)
10. Mosasaur statue
3 (16.7%)
11. Protoceratops vs. Velociraptor diorama
0 (0%)
12. Spinosaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
13. Stegosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
14. Styracosaurus maquette
1 (5.6%)
15. Triceratops statue
2 (11.1%)
16. Tupuxuara maquette
2 (11.1%)
17. Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
5 (27.8%)
18. Tyrannosaurus rex vs. Triceratops diorama
1 (5.6%)
19. T-rex: 'The Tyrant King' statue
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think a few members here may have anew love after all these pieces are released :

As if that's not enough apparently after these three a Deinonychus might be in the works. This line certainly isn't extinct yet.

postsaurischian

:o Wow! The Mosasaur ....... :D!
If it turns out to look like in the first pic's drawing it'll definitely be my next Sideshow model.

Hm, I don't like the spikes on the Triceratops' back :-\.

Dan

For those curious, these scans came from Amazing Figure Modeler magazine. The most recent issue is prehistoric-themed, so it will be full of familiar names. Check amazingmodeler.com for more info.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 29, 2013, 07:36:33 PM
:o Wow! The Mosasaur ....... :D!
If it turns out to look like in the first pic's drawing it'll definitely be my next Sideshow model.

Hm, I don't like the spikes on the Triceratops' back :-\.

The sculpt there beside the sketch I'm guessing is a finished piece as it doesn't say " in progress "..shark, ammonites and all.  I'm just curious if it will be a smaller more affordable piece like the Tupuxuara was or a full size maquette.

Isn't there evidence for spines or quills on Triceratops though ?

Takama

sigh. More cool items I will never be able to afford ::)

what's that Tyrannosaurus supposed to be? Tyrannosaurus again, or something different?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on August 30, 2013, 12:49:12 AM
sigh. More cool items I will never be able to afford ::)

what's that Tyrannosaurus supposed to be? Tyrannosaurus again, or something different?

I'm pretty sure it's Tyrannosaurus.  My guess is Jorge is doing one for the line since he hasn't yet...and the previous T-Rexes are all long sold out ..and new collectors to the line probably want one. So there is much value in doing the King again.

Judging by the pose and the concept of the Triceratops I'm wondering if the two of them are going to be made to go together. 

Seijun

Oh god, does that trex really have pronated hands?? Whyyyy!?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Patrx

Quote from: Seijun on August 30, 2013, 03:46:54 AM
Oh god, does that trex really have pronated hands?? Whyyyy!?

I'm afraid so. :-\  At first, I thought it was just the angle of the photo, but sadly, I think I was mistaken. It's not just the tyrannosaur; the Triceratops' hands are pronated, too. Also, the mosasaur's missing its tail fluke. Gosh, at this rate, I'd not be surprised if their next model turned out to be a featherless Deinonychus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Jorge Blanco knows what he's doing I believe.

The sketch he did of the Mosa has a tail fluke and we can't see the tail end in the sculpture.

The T-Rex does have correct hands. Blow the image up to the full size and look..you can see the palms are turned inward and facing each other.. it also has a nice thick tail base..and it's still " in progress " of course.

I'm not certain about exactly what is correct on a ceratopsian's hands and arm posture even now. There seem to be a lot of differing opinions on it .

tyrantqueen

QuoteIsn't there evidence for spines or quills on Triceratops though ?
There have been round scale impressions found preserved on a Triceratops specimen. In combination with the quills found on Psittacosaurus, some people speculate they could have have held barbed structures like you see in many reconstructions. I don't think there is any direct, preserved evidence for the presence of them, though.

amargasaurus cazaui

There was a Trike found a few years back that the paper has not been released for yet. Tenative descriptions of scale impressions suggested a more less raised center to the scales that would allow for a small barb or spike from them, rather than actual quills like a psittacosaurus. I believe that it was Gryph that commented and suggested that was what he had heard, if I am not mistaken and apologies if I am.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would assume that's where Jorge got his info and idea to use them then.  It's odd that the paper hasn't been released even now yet everyone knows about it..gotta love the internet..lol

Blade-of-the-Moon

Preview pic of the new Mosasaur :

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tyrantqueen

If I hadn't known otherwise, I would have thought it was a photograph of the real animal  :o

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Seijun on October 29, 2013, 03:48:27 AM
soooo pretty!

The blue lighting really makes it work there.  It sure has a great monitor lizard feel to it...minus the flippers and it could be hanging out in a tree or desert today. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 29, 2013, 04:10:19 AM
If I hadn't known otherwise, I would have thought it was a photograph of the real animal  :o

Here's hoping the production piece looks as good.

It said it will be up for pre-order soon. I'm kinda hoping for Feb-March for it. Then we can squeeze in another piece or two next year.. ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 29, 2013, 04:16:41 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 29, 2013, 04:10:19 AM

Here's hoping the production piece looks as good.

It said it will be up for pre-order soon. I'm kinda hoping for Feb-March for it. Then we can squeeze in another piece or two next year.. ;)
I think it will. Jorge Blanco usually does not disappoint :)

Dan

I didn't think it was possible, but Jorge really has outdone himself with the detail here. Even without seeing if they kept the shark at the base, it's really stunning. I wonder what Dr. Smith thinks?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 29, 2013, 02:26:58 AM
Preview pic of the new Mosasaur :

Amazing. How much is this stunning beauty?

I think this just might be the best Dinosauria model of all time!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: