You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2014, 05:30:44 AM
It has dinosaurs on it. What could be cooler than that ? :)

Reusing it again and again  ^-^

Walmart cards are refillable without fees.

Roselaar

These arrived today: Sega/Happinet dinosaurs, used but still neat.

One moment you're totally Futabasaurusless, the next you get two in a week.  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Roselaar on March 08, 2014, 01:46:08 PM

If you want to part with one let me know..it's only figure from that line I've really wanted but never picked up. lol Though the Kentrosaurus looks pretty cool too.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Takama on March 08, 2014, 04:12:43 AM

Geoworld Ornithomimus.  I got it from Wal-Mart

Pretty cool, it reminds me of Invicta Troodon, although they belong to different groups. Ornithomimids are underrepresented.

FUTABA

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2014, 05:04:30 AM
Quote from: Takama on March 08, 2014, 04:12:43 AM

Geoworld Ornithomimus.  I got it from Wal-Mart

Cool. This is one of only two Geoworld pieces I have...not too many ornithomimids out there to overlook this one.

I want this. Basically for the reason Blade stated. Geoworld are pretty hit or miss but this is definitely one of their better efforts by the looks of it. Plus I like the colour scheme, natural looking enough but not too drab and boring.
I really really like blue things.

FUTABA

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 08, 2014, 05:53:10 PMPretty cool, it reminds me of Invicta Troodon, although they belong to different groups. Ornithomimids are underrepresented.

Ha yeah it does bear quite a resemblance to the Invicta Troodon.

FUTABA

Congrats! I have Paris and Futaba (erm, the little colourful shouty anime kids gave them names in the show for those who are uninitiated)  and the Futabasaurus is really something quite special for me. Took about a year of searching before I finally got my hands on one.
And isn't that the Sega black T-rex from the show at the back? If so, aren't they supposedly quite rare?

SBell

Quote from: FUTABA on March 08, 2014, 06:02:58 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on March 08, 2014, 05:53:10 PMPretty cool, it reminds me of Invicta Troodon, although they belong to different groups. Ornithomimids are underrepresented.

My biggest complaint about the 'desirable' Invicta Troodon has always been that it'm more like an ornithomimid than any depiction of Troodon. But at least for a while it was the only Troodon figure. The big problem for ornithomimids as figures will always be that they tend to be very similar in overall appearance (save giant aberrations like Deinocheirus). A Gallimimus looks pretty much like a Struthiomimus looks pretty much like an Ornithomimus looks pretty much like an Avimimus looks pretty much like Garudimimus ad nauseum. Also, they should be happy with themselves and stop trying to mimic birds (real or mythical).

Roselaar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2014, 05:40:18 PM

If you want to part with one let me know..it's only figure from that line I've really wanted but never picked up.

Can't help you out there, they're two very different Futabasaurus figures and I don't have doubles of either of them.

Quote from: FUTABA on March 08, 2014, 06:06:47 PM

And isn't that the Sega black T-rex from the show at the back? If so, aren't they supposedly quite rare?

It is, but I have no idea about rarity. I got zero competition bidding on this one (unlike the Futabasaurus), so it may not be that rare (or people simply didn't see it when it was up on eBay). But if it is rare, I certainly don't mind having one now. :)

The Rex is translucent too, you can kinda see it on the picture. Quite beautiful, despite the oddly shaped, oversized legs it features.

sauroid

very cool Roselaar. tho i think they are all SEGA?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

Quote from: sauroid on March 08, 2014, 07:01:51 PM

All but the Kentrosaurus, which is Happinet.

sauroid

indeed. i checked my own Kentro. both brands blend well together.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Roselaar on March 08, 2014, 09:16:07 PM
Quote from: sauroid on March 08, 2014, 07:01:51 PM

All but the Kentrosaurus, which is Happinet.

LAmbeosaurus is Happinet too.,

FUTABA

Quote from: SBell on March 08, 2014, 06:12:45 PM

My biggest complaint about the 'desirable' Invicta Troodon has always been that it'm more like an ornithomimid than any depiction of Troodon. But at least for a while it was the only Troodon figure. The big problem for ornithomimids as figures will always be that they tend to be very similar in overall appearance (save giant aberrations like Deinocheirus). A Gallimimus looks pretty much like a Struthiomimus looks pretty much like an Ornithomimus looks pretty much like an Avimimus looks pretty much like Garudimimus ad nauseum. Also, they should be happy with themselves and stop trying to mimic birds (real or mythical).

Yeah I see your point. Still though, the different genera of Ornithomimids are often depicted in palaeoart, so it would hardly be ludicrous to have at least a few more figures out there for collectors if not as playthings for children. I've always attributed the old Invicta Troodon (Stenonychosaurus) figure's lack of Troodoniness to it's age and the lack of knowledge of such animals compared with today? Maybe I'm mistaken and / or too forgiving, but it's undeniable that scientific knowledge of Troodontids has come a long way since 1987 / 88. As for it's lack of a sickle claw... I'm sure Tyrantqueen posted something a few days ago about the (poor) choice to not integrate one because of the molding process or something (?) I'm still a fan of the figure, with all it's old school baldy flat footed charm.

FUTABA

Quote from: Roselaar on March 08, 2014, 06:25:45 PM

Quote from: FUTABA on March 08, 2014, 06:06:47 PM

It is, but I have no idea about rarity. I got zero competition bidding on this one (unlike the Futabasaurus), so it may not be that rare (or people simply didn't see it when it was up on eBay). But if it is rare, I certainly don't mind having one now. :)

The Rex is translucent too, you can kinda see it on the picture. Quite beautiful, despite the oddly shaped, oversized legs it features.

Maybe the rarity is wishful thinking on my part, but they certainly aren't common round my way at least. And I didn't know it was translucent until you pointed that out. That's pretty neat somehow.

SBell

Quote from: FUTABA on March 08, 2014, 11:47:50 PM
Quote from: SBell on March 08, 2014, 06:12:45 PM

Yeah I see your point. Still though, the different genera of Ornithomimids are often depicted in palaeoart, so it would hardly be ludicrous to have at least a few more figures out there for collectors if not as playthings for children. I've always attributed the old Invicta Troodon (Stenonychosaurus) figure's lack of Troodoniness to it's age and the lack of knowledge of such animals compared with today? Maybe I'm mistaken and / or too forgiving, but it's undeniable that scientific knowledge of Troodontids has come a long way since 1987 / 88. As for it's lack of a sickle claw... I'm sure Tyrantqueen posted something a few days ago about the (poor) choice to not integrate one because of the molding process or something (?) I'm still a fan of the figure, with all it's old school baldy flat footed charm.

I'm sure I haven't said it many times (!) but collectors are usually a late-stage consideration--if the marketing department doesn't think kids (or those buying for kids) will buy something, they don't make them. In this respect, at least, Geowrold has proven refreshing--no other company has made Thescelosaurus, for example, a dinosaur so outwardly unremarkable that Phil Hore could barely contain his disdain in a Prehistoric Times article.

It is probably possible to count in one hand (two for sure) the ornithomimids that were widely available--Starlux, MPC, Marx, JP (a couple versions), Dinotales, GeoWorld, Kabaya, Colorata, COG Matchbox, Dinosaur Train, CollectA's Deinocheirus (2 malformed hands, I guess ;) although readily available probably doesn't describe almost any of those anymore). I like to think I missed a few (among toys--I know there are other Resin models, for example, but they don't count in the same way). And we likely wouldn't see more than one or two from any given company mainly because they are so outwardly similar other than size.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on March 07, 2014, 01:57:30 PM
Quote from: sauroid on March 07, 2014, 06:57:15 AM
for a first ever figure of Ichthyo, i guess this would do for now til Carnegie and  Favorite (or even Papo) make their own version someday.
Safari might do it, but they did just make Suchomimus, and still need to redo Spinosaurus.

What's wrong with the Safari Ltd. Spinosaurus? I thought it was the 'definitive' version. Unless, Safari happens to update all their models periodically, regardless.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 09, 2014, 04:54:36 AM
for a first ever figure of Ichthyo, i guess this would do for now til Carnegie and  Favorite (or even Papo) make their own version someday.
Safari might do it, but they did just make Suchomimus, and still need to redo Spinosaurus.

What's wrong with the Safari Ltd. Spinosaurus? I thought it was the 'definitive' version. Unless, Safari happens to update all their models periodically, regardless.
Uh, this thing?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 09, 2014, 05:18:43 AM

Uh, this thing?

Lol.  ;D
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Blade-of-the-Moon

Your thinking of the Carnegie Spinosaurus I'm sure.

They are referring to the Wild Safari Spinosaurus.  Not nearly as bad as the Suchomimus was though..this was actually one of the better mass market spinosaurus replicas for a long while.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: