News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Tyrantqueen's Caboodle

Started by tyrantqueen, January 02, 2014, 09:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Glad to see he arrived in good order !

tyrantqueen

I got my Makerbot Tyrannosaurus today...but I haven't photographed it because it needs assembling and cleaning, and also because I'm lazy >:D I have to say though, that the quality is better than that of Shapeways' prints. The step lines are very fine and the detail is better.

Here's something fun, too:

You know this book is outdated, because it refers to T.rex (and even deinonychus) as allosaurs. Wut.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I KNEW Allosaurs were the kings ! They're everywhere I tell ya' ! lol

sauroid

the charm of very old dino books and their unintentional humor (you chuckle while reading them).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: sauroid on June 13, 2014, 05:04:14 PM
the charm of very old dino books and their unintentional humor (you chuckle while reading them).
Or the smug feeling you get because you know most of them are wrong >:D

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 13, 2014, 12:33:59 PM
I got my Makerbot Tyrannosaurus today...but I haven't photographed it because it needs assembling and cleaning, and also because I'm lazy >:D I have to say though, that the quality is better than that of Shapeways' prints. The step lines are very fine and the detail is better.

I've been curious how fine the detail and stepping is on a Makerbot print (it's been one I've considered getting in the past.) Is it between WSF and Frosted Detail in terms of quality?

Also, that book...haha, I love the look of that T. rex as he struts.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gorgonzola on June 14, 2014, 05:35:35 PM

I've been curious how fine the detail and stepping is on a Makerbot print (it's been one I've considered getting in the past.) Is it between WSF and Frosted Detail in terms of quality?

Also, that book...haha, I love the look of that T. rex as he struts.
It's much better than WSF, for sure. It doesn't have that coarse feel. If I could make a comparison, it's sort of like nylon or silk, compared to the sandpaper like feel of WSF.  The stepping isn't bad, it's only noticeable if you look closely. The only thing I can criticise is the little "strands" of material that are left over from the printing process (a bit like spider web) and need to be trimmed off.

tanystropheus

Here's something fun, too:

I remember that book!! :) Charming picture of Triceratops.

tyrantqueen

I got my Papo Dilophosaurus today. I  used hot and cold water to bend the forearms to get rid of the tripod posture, and also reposed them to be neutral. Unfortunately, now, it cannot stand by itself. But hey, you win some, you lose some...and the plastic stand that the figure came with helps.

I'm a poor photographer but I have to say this model does not photograph well. The hand which the model was leaning on also has some of its paint worn away, this seems to be a side effect of the tripod posture:

Paintwork is sloppy :-\ I do not think this is Papo's best figure.

EmperorDinobot

I REALLY dig that Dilophosaurus, despite it being Papo.

I hate Papo, but their newest offerings have been quite decent. How big is it?

Invicta Hunter

The paint job really doesn't look good and i don't like the pose either.
It just looks strange with it's head and tail in that position, it would have been better if both were straight.
Still i guess Papo cant get it right all the time.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 23, 2014, 12:19:08 PM
I REALLY dig that Dilophosaurus, despite it being Papo.

I hate Papo, but their newest offerings have been quite decent. How big is it?
It's six inches from nose to tail. Here's a comparison with the Papo Allosaurus.

I definitely think there is a decline in quality between the two figures.

sauroid

really bad paint quality. how come the Urzeitshop representation is so much better?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: sauroid on June 23, 2014, 01:18:50 PM
really bad paint quality. how come the Urzeitshop representation is so much better?
Probably a difference in photo technique. They are using a light box to take their photos, I just use a camera with flash and normal lighting.

docronnie

Congrats on your new Papo figure. Usually when you use a lightbox, you don't use flash and the real colors and appearance of the figure come out. With flash, the color is altered.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 23, 2014, 11:48:03 AM
I got my Papo Dilophosaurus today. I  used hot and cold water to bend the forearms to get rid of the tripod posture, and also reposed them to be neutral. Unfortunately, now, it cannot stand by itself. But hey, you win some, you lose some...and the plastic stand that the figure came with helps.

[/URL]

Paintwork is sloppy :-\ I do not think this is Papo's best figure.

Why does the Dilo have teeth growing out of the dewlap? :o

tyrantqueen

QuoteWhy does the Dilo have teeth growing out of the dewlap? :o
Lol, good question >:D

tyrantqueen

Great Dinos Therizinosaurus:

I like the feathering on this one. I do feel it is underrated as a figure. Some may hate this model but I like it :)

Concavenator

Good,but I like CollectA's new one better.Personally.What I don't like bout it is just the paintwork.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: