You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 15, 2015, 11:54:29 AM
Hi
Now that the Para's out, would anyone be happy to hook me up with one? :) I'll cover costs, naturally.

I'll keep an eye out for it  :) Now that I know there are new ones, I've been visiting Target quite frequently!

FlawedCoil82

Quote from: suspsy on December 15, 2015, 03:06:20 PM
I hope that the next wave includes the Triceratops and the Styracosaurus.

Those are the main two I am waiting for! Earlier this year, I was about to bite the bullet and pay the crazy prices to get these two beauties off Ebay until I came across this site and saw that they were being rereleased. Since then, I have been buying all of the figures from Target to help support and encourage the release of Triceratops and Styracosaurus. Currently I got them all except for the most recent three.

Takama

Meso-Cenozoic

Oh wow, congrats Takama! And I think the paint job looks better in person. Gotta go back and check my Target again. It's been a good week now.

Takama

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 19, 2015, 06:17:39 AM
Oh wow, congrats Takama! And I think the paint job looks better in person. Gotta go back and check my Target again. It's been a good week now.

Good luck   i think its early yet.    I think every store gets one of each new model in the first weeks.   This Para was the only one of the new ones i seen, and i was not at my local Target. instead i was at a Diffrent Target so naturally i went to the Terra Endcap, and i saw the tan colors shine like a beacon to me.   Naturally i looked at there stock to see if they had the Stegosaurus and Euoplocephalus, but they did not.

Roselaar

Looks good! I might actually prefer this new paint job over the original.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Such a pretty Parasaur!  ;D

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on December 15, 2015, 11:07:27 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 15, 2015, 03:06:20 PM
I hope that the next wave includes the Triceratops and the Styracosaurus.

Those are the main two I am waiting for! Earlier this year, I was about to bite the bullet and pay the crazy prices to get these two beauties off Ebay until I came across this site and saw that they were being rereleased. Since then, I have been buying all of the figures from Target to help support and encourage the release of Triceratops and Styracosaurus. Currently I got them all except for the most recent three.

Same here! Despite being a relatively popular toy species, truly good Styracosaurs are surprisingly hard to find.

terrorchicken

I went back to my Target yesterday and among the sea of Pachyrhinos they had a lone T-rex. I already have him but I got this one anyway to see if I can trade him for the ceratosaurus or carnotaurus. Today I went to the same Target again with my sister and there was an one Acrocanthosaur left in the blu-ray shelf section.  ???
If they are still restocking T-rex/Acrocantho, Im hoping this means that this store just hasnt received their stock of cerato/carno yet.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 20, 2015, 10:21:23 PM
I went back to my Target yesterday and among the sea of Pachyrhinos they had a lone T-rex. I already have him but I got this one anyway to see if I can trade him for the ceratosaurus or carnotaurus. Today I went to the same Target again with my sister and there was an one Acrocanthosaur left in the blu-ray shelf section.  ???
If they are still restocking T-rex/Acrocantho, Im hoping this means that this store just hasnt received their stock of cerato/carno yet.

You might want to check another place; there's a target near me that's only been stocking the T-rex/Acro and none of the other 2nd wave models, but there's a couple more a little further away that have them all.

terrorchicken

^the only other Target near me compelety removed their Terra section right before Christmas for some reason. Im hoping they will bring it back after the Holidays.

FlawedCoil82

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 20, 2015, 10:21:23 PM

The last time I went to Target, they only had Ceratosaurus, Carnotaurus, Cryolophosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus. I wonder why they havent appeared by you yet? When I was hunting all of these figures down after learning about them, the only one I had trouble finding in store was Amargasaurus, but I finally found him last month.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on December 22, 2015, 12:18:25 AM
The last time I went to Target, they only had Ceratosaurus, Carnotaurus, Cryolophosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus. I wonder why they havent appeared by you yet? When I was hunting all of these figures down after learning about them, the only one I had trouble finding in store was Amargasaurus, but I finally found him last month.

I think that a lot of stores are still clogged with the first wave of the new Battats. I've seen so many Pachyrhinosauruses between all the Targets I've visited that I'm pretty sure we're now above the minimum viable population size for a healthy species.

The newest release of repaints was a relief, but the distribution issues leave me wondering if the line might be living on borrowed time. Hope that I'm wrong, though.

FlawedCoil82

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on December 22, 2015, 05:32:35 PM
I think that a lot of stores are still clogged with the first wave of the new Battats. I've seen so many Pachyrhinosauruses between all the Targets I've visited that I'm pretty sure we're now above the minimum viable population size for a healthy species.

The newest release of repaints was a relief, but the distribution issues leave me wondering if the line might be living on borrowed time. Hope that I'm wrong, though.

Yea, Pachyrhinosaurus is the one I saw the most of. Initially, when I first saw these figures  (before finding out that they were part of Battat and the re-releases to come), Pachy was the only one I was interested in buying (Ceratopsians have always been my favorites). I imagine part of the reason that Pachy is so plentiful was due in part to Target and Battat both anticipating the "Walking With Dinosaurs" movie to be much bigger than it was, therefore causing Pachy to be overstocked.

I will feel better when/if we see a wave after Parasaurolophus, Euoplocephalus and Stegosaurus because Terra already had those three with all the others on their website long before Dan's tragic passing. So we figured those three would still come out since they were already packaged and advertised. Beyond that,  I think it all depends on how well they sell at Target and how much Target is ordering wholesale. It's troubling to me because since these Terra figures first started coming out, two local Target stores have already closed down around where I live, so now all my hopes rest on the last remaining Target not closing. It also tells me that Target overall is not performing well. Id like to see another mass retailer pick up the Terra line to help secure the line's future in case Target can not sustain it alone.

amargasaurus cazaui

Could be more factors than are being stated here...for instance, given the pachy was the only figure in the first release that was priced as a medium sized figure, the rest were all small, and priced together. This means there may well have been a distribution case containing three or so pachys, and a general case containing the others. Until you can determine that you cannot be sure if the bias is based on release numbers, packing methods, or buyer whims even.When I first went out looking for repaints I looked and looked before I found a single tyrannosaurs, the stores were packed with the other figures but it seemed rarest. Then I found three in one spot. It seems most likely the rex and acros, as they were priced the same were packed together. The SKU number seems to bear that out as well, they are numbered in the Target system as two pieces of the same assortment, while the smaller figures likely shipped together as an assortment. So I think that buyers too can create a false concept of shortage or poor distribution. In my efforts to acquire these I found I have the most trouble keeping and getting enough Tyrannosaur, and Carnotaurus figures in general. Alot of it might just be timing...and buyer recognition . I think rex gets the love from kids...."wow mom look a t rex and its only ten dollars" Poof....makes them a bit harder to get.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ItsTwentyBelow

I've been hunting hard and finally got lucky at a different Target a couple days ago. Scored the Stegosaurus and the Euoplocephalus! I made myself wait till after Christmas to release them from their boxes  ;)

This stegosaurus is so distinctive and detailed, and I have no problem with the thagomizer, probably because Dan gave his sound justification for sculpting it that way  :) The study of paleontology is ever in flux.

I'm really wanting that Parasaurolophus and these finds give me hope! I also hope that we do eventually see the rest of the originals re-released (come on Diplodocus), as well as all Dan's other finished dino models. My dream is that someone else as passionate and skilled as Dan was picks up the torch and carries on sculpting new dinosaurs for Battat, whilst sticking to Dan's established 1:40 scale.

I've seen a good mix of Terra dino stock across 5 Targets in my area of everything that has been released up to the Para, Stego, and Euoplo, which I've only seen at one. Only one or two other locations I've seen have had stock of Rex and Acro lately, but in general I feel like stores are still ordering more in.

Might post pics of the lovely Euoplocephalus later. That was one I never saw in person as a kid, and it's bigger than I thought! Such a great sculpt and nice colors. I love this line so much that I had to grab the Amargasaurus repaint on one of those earlier outings, even though I have the original from the 90s and told myself I didn't need it  ::)

Hope all who celebrated it had a Merry Christmas!

MLMjp

This is the first time that I think the battat Stegosaurus looks pretty, very nice picture ItsTwentyBelow...Still, if someday I manage to get the battat terra dinos, I will skip this one unless it grows on me, in which case it will be last I will try to get.

Gwangi

I've never been a big fan of the Stegosaurus but these pictures show the details off well. I didn't realize it had so many osteoderms and skin folds and the like.

Dinomike

I agree!  The Stegosaurus looks good! And the paeaaaurolophus even better! The new paintjob is elegant.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Dilopho

Hmm...It's hard to find Battats here in the UK- I've never seen any "in the wild". But I think if I ever get one it would probably be either the parasaurolophus, stegosaurus or ceratosaurus. They are all really nice, even though the stego has a weird tail.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: