News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexeratops

Quote from: Concavenator on November 30, 2014, 07:49:29 PM
Just ordered the Carnegie Velociraptor. :)
Where do you guys get the money... I guess 11 year olds can't earn money effeciantly. :D

Congrats! Hope you like it! :))
like a bantha!

Concavenator

Quote from: alexeratops on November 30, 2014, 08:13:20 PM
Where do you guys get the money... I guess 11 year olds can't earn money effeciantly. :D

Well,it's one of my Xmas presents  ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on November 30, 2014, 08:53:38 PM

You ordered your own Christmas present?  :o

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on November 30, 2014, 09:41:28 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on November 30, 2014, 08:53:38 PM

You ordered your own Christmas present?  :o
What's wrong with that? I order my own birthday presents too. At least there is no chance that I'll end up with something I don't want.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 30, 2014, 09:44:54 PM
What's wrong with that? I order my own birthday presents too. At least there is no chance that I'll end up with something I don't want.

Just seems unusual is all, didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Seems like it kind of takes the meaning out of it all. I get what you're saying though, which is why like everyone I love gift cards and cash as presents.

stargatedalek

they may also have meant that they picked it out for a Christmas present ;)

having Jehovah's witness parents means I have never celebrated Christmas, and to be completely honest I don't mind not celebrating it, being atheist the most I would really be celebrating would be the festivities themselves anyway
I like to always buy myself lots of "winter sale season" presents :P

sorry for going off topic

Alexxitator

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 30, 2014, 10:32:16 PM
they may also have meant that they picked it out for a Christmas present ;)

having Jehovah's witness parents means I have never celebrated Christmas, and to be completely honest I don't mind not celebrating it, being atheist the most I would really be celebrating would be the festivities themselves anyway
I like to always buy myself lots of "winter sale season" presents :P

sorry for going off topic

I find that a great way to "have yourself a merry little" winter sale season! Way to go!
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Ridureyu

Hey, there are a lot of holidays this season!  Just in the US alone, you've got Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Year's, Diwali, Solstice, and Happy Holidays!

SBell

Quote from: Ridureyu on December 02, 2014, 07:24:09 PM
Hey, there are a lot of holidays this season!  Just in the US alone, you've got Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Year's, Diwali, Solstice, and Happy Holidays!

Go Saturnalia, go!

And yeah, I often use the season as an excuse to order stuff I have wanted for a while (Shapeways) but thanks to Brett I may have already used up that goodwill for the year!

Until my Safari order arrives for the store. Then it's kind of like Xmas anyway. Even if I have to sell the stuff.

Zhuchengotyrant

I know how you feel(I'm 11)! How do they spend so much money on sideshow and old battats?! ;)
-Zhuchengotyrant

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 03, 2014, 02:13:40 PM

I know how you feel(I'm 11)! How do they spend so much money on sideshow and old battats?! ;)

I was in the same boat when I was 11. Jurassic Park had just came out and I wanted EVERYTHING. No allowance.  So I asked neighbors for odd jobs, raking, mowing, carrying things, Every time I was paid my mom ran to me to the store and I bought something. I did have to save a lot for the big pieces like the Rex, I think he was 30.00?  My mom bought that, had me sign a paper saying I couldn't have it til I paid her back..I worked my butt off repaying her.

Now I work, sell things, do custom art, any chance to earn money comes along I take it and save. That's how you afford to buy things when your older. ;)

End rant by old guy.

Concavenator

Has anyone else got the new Velociraptor?I can't open mine til the 6thnof January,so I'd like to see more real-life pics of him,I know Dan has one,but it's just one  ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 03, 2014, 05:30:57 PM

I was in the same boat when I was 11. Jurassic Park had just came out and I wanted EVERYTHING. No allowance.  So I asked neighbors for odd jobs, raking, mowing, carrying things, Every time I was paid my mom ran to me to the store and I bought something. I did have to save a lot for the big pieces like the Rex, I think he was 30.00?  My mom bought that, had me sign a paper saying I couldn't have it til I paid her back..I worked my butt off repaying her.

Now I work, sell things, do custom art, any chance to earn money comes along I take it and save. That's how you afford to buy things when your older. ;)

End rant by old guy.

Only slightly related but still relevant enough to this comment to share. I remember actually trying to save up to go see "Jurassic Park". I was 9 and so determined to see it that I was collecting cans and bottles to save up, I even stashed them away so no one else could take them. Strange as it sounds I grew up on a farm and for whatever reason there was a big steel box full of old newspapers tied up in bundles. I built a hiding spot out of those. And then the ultimate heartbreak when my mom read reviews stating the movie was too intense for young kids. I ultimately got my way though, saw it three times. Thankfully I didn't have to pay my way with returned cans.

I really only had a few of the JP toys growing up, and nothing like the big red rex. My mom said I had too many dinosaurs already and was getting too old (I was 9 for Pete's sake!) to keep getting more. Well I showed her, I have more toy dinosaurs at 30 than I did growing up, including "Big Red". I at least had the Tyco rex growing up, something I still haven't reacquired.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 03, 2014, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 03, 2014, 05:30:57 PM

End rant by old guy.

Only slightly related but still relevant enough to this comment to share. I remember actually trying to save up to go see "Jurassic Park". I was 9 and so determined to see it that I was collecting cans and bottles to save up, I even stashed them away so no one else could take them. Strange as it sounds I grew up on a farm and for whatever reason there was a big steel box full of old newspapers tied up in bundles. I built a hiding spot out of those. And then the ultimate heartbreak when my mom read reviews stating the movie was too intense for young kids. I ultimately got my way though, saw it three times. Thankfully I didn't have to pay my way with returned cans.

I really only had a few of the JP toys growing up, and nothing like the big red rex. My mom said I had too many dinosaurs already and was getting too old (I was 9 for Pete's sake!) to keep getting more. Well I showed her, I have more toy dinosaurs at 30 than I did growing up, including "Big Red". I at least had the Tyco rex growing up, something I still haven't reacquired.

That's great man. The film had a great impact on many of our generation.  I guess I was lucky my mom was very open to everything I had an interest in and never forced me in any direction..just supported me.  I guess your mom just looks around and shakes her head when entering your house eh? lol

Dan

Quote from: Concavenator on December 03, 2014, 06:25:21 PM
Has anyone else got the new Velociraptor?I can't open mine til the 6thnof January,so I'd like to see more real-life pics of him,I know Dan has one,but it's just one  ;)

Here's a video review that features a closer look at the new 2015 Carnegie Velociraptor, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9R08Plals

sauroid

your stories are very familiar. tho my mom would complain that i had too many toys already while opening her purse to give me money to buy more toys, funny.
awesome vid Dan. cant wait to see that 'raptor in person.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 04, 2014, 03:36:33 AM
That's great man. The film had a great impact on many of our generation.  I guess I was lucky my mom was very open to everything I had an interest in and never forced me in any direction..just supported me.  I guess your mom just looks around and shakes her head when entering your house eh? lol

My mom actually thinks the dinosaurs I have now are ones I kept from my childhood. She's not too observant. I got rid of those dinosaurs at yard sales years ago!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 04, 2014, 02:40:06 PM

My mom actually thinks the dinosaurs I have now are ones I kept from my childhood. She's not too observant. I got rid of those dinosaurs at yard sales years ago!

heh those with no real interest usually don't pay much attention. One " longneck" is the same as another to em'.   On the flip side I actually have most of my childhood dinos..they are banged up and bloody from all the fun we had but they are still here..living in retirement on the shelf now.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 04, 2014, 05:10:49 PM

heh those with no real interest usually don't pay much attention. One " longneck" is the same as another to em'.   On the flip side I actually have most of my childhood dinos..they are banged up and bloody from all the fun we had but they are still here..living in retirement on the shelf now.

Yup, pretty much! Hopefully wherever my childhood dinosaurs are now they're at least having fun with some other aspiring dinosaur enthusiast.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on December 04, 2014, 05:12:28 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 04, 2014, 05:10:49 PM

Yup, pretty much! Hopefully wherever my childhood dinosaurs are now they're at least having fun with some other aspiring dinosaur enthusiast.

We can always hope! I actually sell a lot of used dinosaurs here in our giftshop. We charge a couple dollars after we have cleaned them up and they find new homes with visiting children. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: