You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 31, 2015, 10:07:23 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 05:33:33 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 31, 2015, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 31, 2015, 05:00:56 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 04:14:04 PM
A winter version of Yutyrannus will happen, but we will also keep the summer version available :)

Winter is coming!

Still, I don't think that a moulting Yutyrannus would look like that.
Indeed, it wouldn't. The plumage would simply be thinnner. It would not drop off altogether. After all, arctic foxes do not have large bald patches when they molt in the summer.

"Indeed" is the term to use when you are 100% positive about something, but how can you be so sure? Well it seems you have seen a real Yutyrannus, or even keeping one as a pet so that you can record your observations?So take a photo or publish some papers, either way prove your "indeed" to us with some direct evidence, please. You do understand what does "direct evidence" mean, right? ;)
No, my "indeed" was confirmation of my agreement with Cityraptor. Nothing more and nothing less.

The fact is that no animal on the planet moults the way your figure has portrayed. Neither bird nor mammal. And the excuse that no-one has ever seen a real life Yutyrannus is a cop out. Using that excuse, you could make the most ridiculous claims.

Indeed is not a term that means one is positive. It is in agreement :

in·deed
inˈdēd/
adverb
adverb: indeed

used to emphasize a statement or response confirming something already suggested.
    "it was not expected to last long, and indeed it took less than three weeks"
    synonyms:   as expected, to be sure; More
    in fact, in point of fact, as a matter of fact, in truth, actually, as it happens/happened, if truth be told, admittedly;
    archaicin sooth
    "there was, indeed, quite a furor"
    certainly, assuredly, of course, naturally, without (a) doubt, without question, by all means, yes;
    informalyou bet, I'll say;
    informalindeedy
    ""May I join you?" "Yes, indeed.""
        used to emphasize a description, typically of a quality or condition.
        "it was a very good buy indeed"
        synonyms:   very, extremely, exceedingly, tremendously, immensely, singularly, decidedly, particularly, remarkably, really
        "you are indeed clever"
    used to introduce a further and stronger or more surprising point.
    "the idea is attractive to many men and indeed to many women"

Please watch the insulting tone Rebor_Studio .

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 11:54:04 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 31, 2015, 11:28:40 PM
As I mentioned before, someone spending that much on a Dinosaur replica is someone who cares for accuracy.

That's not correct, most customers who purchased our products simply because they look good, people who care for accuracy are actually the minority. To some forum members our Utahraptor looks awful, however it's popular among fans and collectors. How do you call it, yes the "awesomebro" group, they are the majority, without them this industry won't even exist and we can all start to collect research papers in Palaeontology.

That honestly sounds like a pretty shaky conclusion. How do you know that the same customers who purchased the Utahraptor because it looks cool wouldn't still have purchased it if it had better accuracy with regard to the wings and the skull? For that matter, how do you know that the Yutyrannus wouldn't have sold better if it had had the correct plumage right from the start? Or if the T. Rex had an accurate skull instead of one identical to the JP animatronic?

If anything, the fact that the Utahraptor has proven to be popular in spite of the fact that it's not in keeping with the outdated but well-known Jurassic Park rendition is a strong indication that the general public is actually quite willing to accept feathered reality.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

This whole issue regarding feathers makes me very upset at Jurassic World for taking such a strong stance against plumage. They could dramatically change the public image and therefore consumer acceptance of feathered dinosaurs. It's even more ironic that the 'fake' dinosaur (indominus rex) might be the only dinosaur in the movie to sport quills (and possibly, proto-feathers?)...

suspsy

Indeed. It's why, despite the fact that I saw the original JP multiple times in theatres back in 1993, I have absolutely no faith in Jurassic World. There's no real reason not to have feathered dinosaurs other than ignorance and unwillingness to accept change.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 05:46:22 PM
Quote from: Paleogene Pals on January 31, 2015, 05:36:12 PM
Uh, that sword is double-edged. You prove that you are right, then.

We can't, and we never state this theory is 100% true, we know we could be wrong and we are not the ones with zero tolerance, that's why it's called hypothesis :) we just haven't get used to see someone who pretend to be God and decide what's right and wrong for others, seriously

It just gets a little confusing when you use statements like, "The model is a 1:35 scale replica of Yutyrannus based on the result of the latest research." This quote of yours was taken from your first page of your Yutyrannus thread.

redman

hello, i'm new on this forum and i've read almost all of the topics related to Rebor, i respect all of you that posted here because all of you are dinosaurs fans and we are not so many on this world. But it seems to me that you almost hate Rebor just for being on the market. Yes, maybe they are not so accurate at this moment and maybe they are putting a little to much into advertising by using some big words, but we need to understand that they are at the begining and they must enter first on the market with something that can sell very quickly in order to generate free cash flow. I think that when the situation will be stable for them it will be easier to develope more accurate models. So, what i'm trying to say is that we need to support them, i really think that they have a big potential.
Question for Rebor, regarding the utahraptor, when it will be available on the market?

Tallin

Whilst I agree with you very much in that they have to enter the market with big sellers like the T-rex and raptors to generate the fan-base and money-flow in order to make models of dinosaurs that maybe are not as popular to the public, it seems a shame that they belittle other companies with different values...also the snarkyness with which they have denied the arguments and suggestions of forum members seems slightly poor practice and unprofessional.

Personally I think the level of detail is exquisite and as models they are beautiful and dynamic, but that alone isn't enough to make many collectors like me buy them, particularly when on a controlled budget! I may be tempted by the cerato though!

Arul

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 11:54:04 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 31, 2015, 11:28:40 PM
As I mentioned before, someone spending that much on a Dinosaur replica is someone who cares for accuracy.

That's not correct, most customers who purchased our products simply because they look good, people who care for accuracy are actually the minority.To some forum members our Utahraptor looks awful, however it's popular among fans and collectors. How do you call it, yes the "awesomebro" group, they are the majority, without them this industry won't even exist and we can all start to collect research papers in Palaeontology.

True :v

suspsy

Quote from: Tallin on February 01, 2015, 12:58:31 PM
Whilst I agree with you very much in that they have to enter the market with big sellers like the T-rex and raptors to generate the fan-base and money-flow in order to make models of dinosaurs that maybe are not as popular to the public, it seems a shame that they belittle other companies with different values...also the snarkyness with which they have denied the arguments and suggestions of forum members seems slightly poor practice and unprofessional.

Yeah, that left a bad taste in my mouth. It seemed like they were trying to redirect the conversation away from their ongoing accuracy issue by bringing up wholly unrelated issues about other companies. It was a poor move.

I hope they're serious when they say they want to improve their products. They've already got the undeniable sculpting talent, they just need to up their research.

And honestly, hang public acceptance.

Tallin

Yep, I find often the most memorable and acclaimed products are those that break the boundaries and the norm and thus receive a lot of attention as they are different to what people are used too - you see that in many areas.

And then one day people will look back and go 'wow, it's hard to believe people thought al dinos were scaly monsters once, I'm so pleased that Rebor came along and revolutionised our thinking!'

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: suspsy on February 01, 2015, 02:20:16 PM
Quote from: Tallin on February 01, 2015, 12:58:31 PM

Yeah, that left a bad taste in my mouth. It seemed like they were trying to redirect the conversation away from their ongoing accuracy issue by bringing up wholly unrelated issues about other companies. It was a poor move.

I hope they're serious when they say they want to improve their products. They've already got the undeniable sculpting talent, they just need to up their research.

And honestly, hang public acceptance.

We are not trying to redirect the conversation away, we were trying to tell you that our decisions are based on the marketing research, which is telling us what kind of product will have a better selling condition. We admit that our Utahraptor is not scientific accurate and influenced greatly by the pop culture, it's an "awesomebro" dinosaur and it is a "feathered monster", however it will be much popular than a bird like scientific accurate Utahraptor, is this so hard to understand? And how do we know? Because we have the result of our marketing research that shows only 12% customers are interested in purchasing a super accurate Utahraptor. Let's put it in this way, if you are able to help us arranging a 35,000 Pounds order regarding 100% scientific accurate Utahraptor, we are more than happy to make a flawless one. And why are you taking us like fools and assume that we don't know how to make accurate dinosaurs? We have already told you, we have more than enough of information than we needed, do we have to show you our MSc and PH.D certificates? Like we said Those inaccuracies are the result of our decision, we actually designed those inaccuracies on purpose to achieve better popularity, because in conclusion, for a manufacture the public acceptance will always outweights the accuracy.

Or put it in a even simpler way: We need money. Why? Is that because we are greedy? No, first, as a company we simply need cash flow to keep the brand going on, trust us, you don't want to know the daily costs to run a team; second, people all have families and we are glad that we are able to offer job opportunities; third, FIY we are donator of the British Red Cross because we believe we can use our money to help those who need them, so yes, in some way, your money of purchasing our dinosaurs will aid those brave lads who risk their lives to fight Ebola in Africa. So next time when anyone is standing on the moral high ground and accusing us for making inaccurate models or even "spreading lies", think more than model itself please. Also please remember we are not just a Logo, we are actual people who have feelings, how would you react to so many criticisms, how is it going to make you feel when you believe that you are doing a good thing yet hated by so many people, if you were us?

Concavenator

Rebor,are you allowed to say how many models will you introduce this year?Maybe you could make at least one 100% flawless(regarding accuracy)  model a year so you'd please everyone,there would still be some of those models the public acept,plus the very accurate one.What do you think?

redman

I deeply understand you Rebor, I'm also a project manager in engineering, but another field, in automotive, and there we have the same problems as you with our customers, it is not easy to achieve equilibrium between all the clients. It is absolutely normal to target a significant part of the market and not the small and exclusivist public that will anyway buy a German car in your case let say Sideshow. In this case it is obvious that you cannot compete at this moment with them. This is why you need to continue to improve your work gradually remaining competitive in the price vs quality ratio.
I've personally purchased your two first models. I'm a little disappointed by the Yutyrannus, the posture is not so great, I personally think you can do better and one minor quality issue (one white spot on the tail :( I don't know why, maybe after it was painted it touched something on the road to the box, maybe a visual control just before putting them into the box will help). But overall I think you have a good start and you need to keep improving. Good luck!
I still want to know when the utahraptor will be available on everything dinosaurs.com?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think given the fact Rebor has stated their reasons and intentions on accuracy the subject of such should be dropped other than reviews of each new product as it's shown.

If anyone has questions about it still, just read back through the thread as it's been covered in detail.

stargatedalek

If you knowingly make inaccurate dinosaurs than advertising them as accurate and "based on the latest research" is entirely fraudulent and being completely honest only leaves me with more distaste for REBOR as a company.

*edit* ninja'd XD

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 01, 2015, 05:48:40 PM
If you knowingly make inaccurate dinosaurs than advertising them as accurate and "based on the latest research" is entirely fraudulent and being completely honest only leaves me with more distaste for REBOR as a company.

*edit* ninja'd XD

I agree with this.   If they knowingly make inaccurate dinosaurs, then they should not claim them to be so in the first place.   

Blade-of-the-Moon

I was suggesting before, now I'm asking to drop it. We've covered this several times and Rebor knows it to.  I'm certain they know exactly what they've done wrong by now. Will that change? We'll have to wait and see. We can discuss each new piece as it comes out, if it has the same or similar issues then opinions can be posted then.  Things are obviously getting a little heated by the vibes I'm getting between other members and Rebor.  We may not like it but we need to show some respect, Rebor may not like what's said about them but they need to show us the same respect. I'm seeing less and less of this as the discussion continues.  So I say again, can we drop it?

REBOR_STUDIO

*edit* ninja'd XD

Next time when you order a Bid Mac, if it doesn't look like the one in the picture, remember to sue Mcdonald's. Also if you see inaccurate chinasaurs in museum stores, sue them to the death.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on February 01, 2015, 06:03:32 PM

*edit* ninja'd XD

I agree with this.   If they knowingly make inaccurate dinosaurs, then they should not claim them to be so in the first place.   

I wouldn't say that the models are inherently inaccurate. After all, the REBORs do follow the general skeletal scheme that is depicted on the box. The situation is no different than when Wild Safari introduced the Guanlong in 2011; the Guanlong was originally depicted as having robust plumage in the Safari prototypes, but the final product appeared heavily plucked.  The REBOR Y-rex does have feathers, but they are greatly minimized.

Interestingly enough, JurassicCollectibles regards the REBOR Y-rex as being accurate. They even mentioned the inclusion of the feathers in their product review.

Dobber

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 01, 2015, 06:17:56 PM
I was suggesting before, now I'm asking to drop it. We've covered this several times and Rebor knows it to.  I'm certain they know exactly what they've done wrong by now. Will that change? We'll have to wait and see. We can discuss each new piece as it comes out, if it has the same or similar issues then opinions can be posted then.  Things are obviously getting a little heated by the vibes I'm getting between other members and Rebor.  We may not like it but we need to show some respect, Rebor may not like what's said about them but they need to show us the same respect. I'm seeing less and less of this as the discussion continues.  So I say again, can we drop it?

I agree, at this point the horse has not only been beaten to death, but its fossils are being pulverized into dust.

Chris

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: