News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Did someone create a separate thread for discussion of the Acrocanthosaurus?

Sim

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Tapejara1122 on October 04, 2015, 06:45:54 AM
I do understand that people dont like the inaccuracies in the rebor figures but can we get over it already? I mean I dont like innacuracies in any figure but what can I do? Threaten the sculptor for not making the figures right and beg for refunds? For example, in jurassic park the raptors arent accurate, or like the papo oviraptor isnt feathered, or the safari's trike's feet, or papo's spino's facial issues, but do we bring them up as much as rebor? No.

Now look, I understand that these are expensive, NEW figures, and we want to talk about them, but why talk about the bad parts and almost never bring up the good things. And if we are going to criticize the figures do we have to do it in such a nasty way that makes us look like children? Im a fourteen year old and I even dont judge them with so much aggressivenes. " Oh the feet are kinda big on the acro, but man look at that color scheme and that vicious face! ". Its sad to see some of the adults or so I think act like this.

As I've said before, Rebor fans need to realize that there are a lot of toy fans on this forum who grew up collecting museum line figures that emphasized accuracy over style. Some of us are a little jealous that all the high end detailed figure lines like Rebor and Papo are "wasting" their talents on hyper stylized pop art figures rather than detailed representations of real dinosaurs. For us, having a "vicious face" isn't just a negative, it's becoming a joke. Companies are trying to sell to adolescent monster movie fans and capitalize on JP hype. If it sells it sells. Maybe criticizing Rebor for what it is, a monster figure line, is not fair. But at the same time, calling them monster figures shouldn't be an insult, except maybe people don't want their fantasy broken that these aren't real dinosaurs?

Rebor critics should understand these are not museum quality dinosaurs, they're designed by and for monster movie pop culture dinosaur fans, and therefore should be judged by the same criteria as say, a figure based on King Kong or Pacific Rim.

Rebor fans should understand that Rebor figures aren't supposed to be accurate dinosaurs, and are cool but stylized pop culture models that make dinosaurs the way pop culture fans expect to see them. The fact all the herbivores are dead meat and all the carnivores look like badass vicious monsters should be enough to prove it.

Tapejara mentioned the "vicious face" as a plus. I would list that as a minus. And we just need to recognize we are looking for different things in our figures. The Rebor figures aren't bad, or even necessarily inaccurate, they're just stylized, like the creatures in the Age of Reptiles comics (and it would be nice if such pricy figures came without rampant production defects. It's ok that the Battat T. rex can't stand up because it's $10 and, though less detailed than the Rebor one, it's more accurate and less stylized, though being less or more stylized could be a plus or a minus depending on what you're looking for in a figure).

I think the reason Rebor fans are a little upset is because accuracy fans are treating Rebor the way they treat CollectA or Safari (holding them up to scientific standards) when we should be treating them like JP figures (basically ignoring them since they're not made for "us", or just focusing on their cool/impressive/fun features).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

tyrantqueen

But Rebor makes the statement that their toys are museum class. I know that doesn't necessarily mean they're accurate, but it does suggest they're aiming their products at the accuracy crowd. You wouldn't expect to see a JP dinosaur labelled as museum class, would you?

This isn't aimed at you specifically, but I don't understand this concept of "the more detail the better". I think the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus has too much detail. It is overpowering and swamps the figure as a result. I guess the correct term would be "overworked". And the tiny scale details wouldn't be visible at this scale anyway.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 04, 2015, 02:56:13 PM
But Rebor makes the statement that their toys are museum class. I know that doesn't necessarily mean they're accurate, but it does suggest they're aiming their products at the accuracy crowd. You wouldn't expect to see a JP dinosaur labelled as museum class, would you?

They backtracked on that, didn't they? Seems to have just been a crass marketing ploy. People like to think their pop-culturesaurs actually are accurate. Pop art has been lying to people about what accurate dinosaurs look like for years, to the point where Rebor can do it without thinking, like taking a breath. Dinosaur marketers use the term "museum quality" like infomercials use "order now!" JP doesn't as far as I know, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did. And I've seen Papo figures for sale in actual museums, so that says less about the companies making false claims than the quality control of museums - "museum quality" means very little these days (that same museum had some of the very worst dinosaur models on display I've ever seen).

Anyway, if Rebor is actually trying to aim they're products at the accuracy crowd, they're doing a really lousy marketing job. My impression is that they're trying to have their cake and eat it too by throwing around accuracy labels in an attempt to lure less informed accuracy fans into buying their pop-culturesaurs. A small company like them especially needs all the sales they can get.

This isn't aimed at you specifically, but I don't understand this concept of "the more detail the better". I think the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus has too much detail. It is overpowering and swamps the figure as a result. I guess the correct term would be "overworked". And the tiny scale details wouldn't be visible at this scale anyway.

I agree, I'm talking more about the "right kind" of detail. Sideshow figures are both highly detailed and usually very accurate. Rebor and Papo layer on all kinds of lumps and spikes to give more detail for detail's sake which actually makes them less accurate.

Tapejara1122

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 04, 2015, 02:07:03 PM
Quote from: Tapejara1122 on October 04, 2015, 06:45:54 AM
I do understand that people dont like the inaccuracies in the rebor figures but can we get over it already? I mean I dont like innacuracies in any figure but what can I do? Threaten the sculptor for not making the figures right and beg for refunds? For example, in jurassic park the raptors arent accurate, or like the papo oviraptor isnt feathered, or the safari's trike's feet, or papo's spino's facial issues, but do we bring them up as much as rebor? No.

Now look, I understand that these are expensive, NEW figures, and we want to talk about them, but why talk about the bad parts and almost never bring up the good things. And if we are going to criticize the figures do we have to do it in such a nasty way that makes us look like children? Im a fourteen year old and I even dont judge them with so much aggressivenes. " Oh the feet are kinda big on the acro, but man look at that color scheme and that vicious face! ". Its sad to see some of the adults or so I think act like this.

I think the reason Rebor fans are a little upset is because accuracy fans are treating Rebor the way they treat CollectA or Safari (holding them up to scientific standards) when we should be treating them like JP figures (basically ignoring them since they're not made for "us", or just focusing on their cool/impressive/fun features).

Its not just that we are treating them like other companies, but its the approach. Its being done in a way thats too violent and excessive.  We also shouldnt just disregard them like JP figures because they arent that. Just know that there are going to be imperfections and that its most likey will continue that way, so dont be bewildered when it happens again.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Rain

Rebor fans should understand that Rebor figures aren't supposed to be accurate dinosaurs, and are cool but stylized pop culture models

I wouldn't say their Ceratosaurus is a "pop culture figure", if you look past the CD sized scales. It looks natural and doesn't give off the typical "killer" demeanor that carnivore figures seem to have. Would you agree?

amargasaurus cazaui

Not to toss another ember on a smoldering fire here, but I offer that when Rebor began they did in a fairly simple way shoot themselves in the image foot, by attaching terms like ..the latest in scientific research and museum accurate. I know , I know, we have debated the meaning of those terms into pizza sized peperoni slices...but the fact remains, the terms used and how they were offered raised some peoples expectations, only to be given, in my eyes at least, glorified models that seem to be the love child between Paposaurus and Jurassic Park. Taking that a step further, the pricing structure employed is generally one reserved for higher end more....discrimating tastes. If you wish to test that theory go price many of the Favorite Desktop models . You are given a much more accurate and researched piece for prices that are much more fair honestly. Finally, adding the final insult to the list, are the numerous issues with standing, balance and falling over, that you just simply should not be having with models in this price range and quality. I feel like it is also fair to state the response from Rebor in handling these complaints has been......less than desired for something so annoying to those who have invested in their products. Almost forgot to include the idea that if you think people are ...highly critical of the Rebor line, you should see some of the anger and criticism some of the other lines at times draw..ie Carnegieor Geoworld, or even Jurassic park figures.  So far (Rebor) their efforts have been almost entirely limited to corpses, eggs, and theropods so I have no dog in the race, but those are my perceptions just looking in. Sorry if I offend anyone with those comments, but that is what it looks like from my viewpoint and is just my opinion.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 04, 2015, 07:59:58 PM
Not to toss another ember on a smoldering fire here, but I offer that when Rebor began they did in a fairly simple way shoot themselves in the image foot, by attaching terms like ..the latest in scientific research and museum accurate. I know , I know, we have debated the meaning of those terms into pizza sized peperoni slices...but the fact remains, the terms used and how they were offered raised some peoples expectations, only to be given, in my eyes at least, glorified models that seem to be the love child between Paposaurus and Jurassic Park. Taking that a step further, the pricing structure employed is generally one reserved for higher end more....discrimating tastes. If you wish to test that theory go price many of the Favorite Desktop models . You are given a much more accurate and researched piece for prices that are much more fair honestly. Finally, adding the final insult to the list, are the numerous issues with standing, balance and falling over, that you just simply should not be having with models in this price range and quality. I feel like it is also fair to state the response from Rebor in handling these complaints has been......less than desired for something so annoying to those who have invested in their products. Almost forgot to include the idea that if you think people are ...highly critical of the Rebor line, you should see some of the anger and criticism some of the other lines at times draw..ie Carnegieor Geoworld, or even Jurassic park figures.  So far (Rebor) their efforts have been almost entirely limited to corpses, eggs, and theropods so I have no dog in the race, but those are my perceptions just looking in. Sorry if I offend anyone with those comments, but that is what it looks like from my viewpoint and is just my opinion.

I completely agree with Amargasaurus. Among other things I invested in models that do not suffer from sustainability problems, and I have been disappointed with the Acrocanthosaurus.

Moreover I would like more precise dinosaurs. The tyrannosaurus rex Rebor has very large paws and that's not true. The tiranosauroideos had front legs lowercase, as shown in figures from other companies, the same goes for Papo with vastatosaurus, a precise figure but become mere fantasy figures and with all due respect and love for both factories and are not dinosaurs . These figures are merely mythological or fantastic animals or dinosaurs as Godzilla Jurassic World Indomimus as rex.

It's just an opinion of mine in my case.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Rain on October 04, 2015, 06:50:52 PM

Rebor fans should understand that Rebor figures aren't supposed to be accurate dinosaurs, and are cool but stylized pop culture models

I wouldn't say their Ceratosaurus is a "pop culture figure", if you look past the CD sized scales. It looks natural and doesn't give off the typical "killer" demeanor that carnivore figures seem to have. Would you agree?

Yeah, the pose is way more natural, but those would be dinner-plate sized scales if they were to, er, scale. This is slightly forgivable since we know they had osteoderms along the back (but nowhere near that big). But the normal scales are also way too big, as per usual for Rebor and Papo.

empire3569

Just out of curiosity, since REBOR doesn't post here anymore and doesn't really respond to a lot of people on the FB page like they used to, is there anyone here who maintains regular communication with the through PM/emails?

Arul

Quote from: empire3569 on October 28, 2015, 04:17:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, since REBOR doesn't post here anymore and doesn't really respond to a lot of people on the FB page like they used to, is there anyone here who maintains regular communication with the through PM/emails?

If you want to communicate with rebor, pm them via fb they will answer :)

empire3569

Quote from: Arul on October 28, 2015, 04:35:12 PM

I have sent them several messages and they have never responded. It's not a huge deal, I was just curious if other members have better luck reaching them than myself

Arul

Quote from: empire3569 on October 28, 2015, 04:46:31 PM
Quote from: Arul on October 28, 2015, 04:35:12 PM

I have sent them several messages and they have never responded. It's not a huge deal, I was just curious if other members have better luck reaching them than myself

Several times just to say hi and they reply my messages. They looks so glad when i sent them a link via pm that the Herc get 4.5 stars in dinotoy blog. Btw, Shadowknight1 communicate with rebor a lot :D

Victoria's Cantina

I have no idea how you would get their attention. Seems like they always ignore my FB posts... ESPECIALLY when I ask them how to correct balancing issues. I don't even see some of my posts there anymore from over the last couple of months. In fact, they shared every single Acro review from YouTube on their page except for mine, and I don't think it's because they didn't know about it. And it wasn't a negative review either... I did question the standing issues, but so did other reviewers.

Takama

I sent Several Messages suggesting animals they should make, and not once did they Reply to my messages.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Takama on October 28, 2015, 08:47:56 PM
I sent Several Messages suggesting animals they should make, and not once did they Reply to my messages.

In my experience working for a hobby manufacturer a few years ago, companies don't like to take unsolicited ideas from customers for legal reasons. There was an instance where someone suggested something, which ended up happening, and then they sued because they thought they should receive a share of the profits since it was their idea. Most companies will probably say things like "thank you for your feedback" and that's the end of it. On a forum like this, however, it's public domain if you choose to share an idea they end up doing, for which you have no legal recourse.

But I digress... a company who cares should at least make an effort to be responsive in some capacity... especially if it is in regards to an issue you are having. Even something as simple as "Oops, this shouldn't happen, we apologize and will work to understand what went wrong and find a way to try to prevent it from happening again" would go a long way. The ostrich burying its head in the sand is never a good businessman. Or, business bird.

Gwangi

Quote from: Victoria B on October 28, 2015, 08:32:36 PM
I have no idea how you would get their attention. Seems like they always ignore my FB posts... ESPECIALLY when I ask them how to correct balancing issues. I don't even see some of my posts there anymore from over the last couple of months. In fact, they shared every single Acro review from YouTube on their page except for mine, and I don't think it's because they didn't know about it. And it wasn't a negative review either... I did question the standing issues, but so did other reviewers.

Sounds typical for Rebor.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on October 28, 2015, 11:19:19 PM
Quote from: Victoria B on October 28, 2015, 08:32:36 PM

Sounds typical for Rebor.

Well, not responding is better than responding aggressively ;) But you are right, of course, sometimes it is in companies best interest to hold their hands up and take criticism and questions on the chin.

Takama

Quote from: Victoria B on October 28, 2015, 11:19:03 PM
Quote from: Takama on October 28, 2015, 08:47:56 PM

In my experience working for a hobby manufacturer a few years ago, companies don't like to take unsolicited ideas from customers for legal reasons. There was an instance where someone suggested something, which ended up happening, and then they sued because they thought they should receive a share of the profits since it was their idea. Most companies will probably say things like "thank you for your feedback" and that's the end of it. On a forum like this, however, it's public domain if you choose to share an idea they end up doing, for which you have no legal recourse.

But I digress... a company who cares should at least make an effort to be responsive in some capacity... especially if it is in regards to an issue you are having. Even something as simple as "Oops, this shouldn't happen, we apologize and will work to understand what went wrong and find a way to try to prevent it from happening again" would go a long way. The ostrich burying its head in the sand is never a good businessman. Or, business bird.

Thats the first time I heard such a thing.    But Dinosaurs are not Licensed chrectors, there Animals

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: