News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 12, 2021, 01:15:26 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on November 11, 2021, 08:20:56 PM
Quote from: Psittacoraptor on November 11, 2021, 07:19:03 PM
Whoever is behind Rebor's posts here, I doubt they are a social media person like GojiraGuy1954 thinks, because their conduct is very unprofessional, arrogant and passive aggressive. Then there was that highly suspect story with Vitae, during which they doxxed someone and posted their personal information in the Dino Hazard thread. No matter what beef you have with a business partner, doxxing an individual on a public forum is an absolute no-go. So, from what I've read of Rebor here, they can make the best figure in the world and I still won't purchase it. I won't support a company that presents itself in such an unprofessional manner.

Good >:D
And ya'll wonder why we're always so quick to mistrust REBOR. Could it be, just maybe, that they play into their maverick angle way too much? No, definitely not possible...
They're just messing with you bro lmao
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 12, 2021, 07:20:20 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 12, 2021, 01:15:26 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on November 11, 2021, 08:20:56 PM
Quote from: Psittacoraptor on November 11, 2021, 07:19:03 PM
Whoever is behind Rebor's posts here, I doubt they are a social media person like GojiraGuy1954 thinks, because their conduct is very unprofessional, arrogant and passive aggressive. Then there was that highly suspect story with Vitae, during which they doxxed someone and posted their personal information in the Dino Hazard thread. No matter what beef you have with a business partner, doxxing an individual on a public forum is an absolute no-go. So, from what I've read of Rebor here, they can make the best figure in the world and I still won't purchase it. I won't support a company that presents itself in such an unprofessional manner.

Good >:D
And ya'll wonder why we're always so quick to mistrust REBOR. Could it be, just maybe, that they play into their maverick angle way too much? No, definitely not possible...
They're just messing with you bro lmao
Don't call me "bro" please.

suspsy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 12, 2021, 05:23:02 AM
avatar_suspsy @suspsy i thought it should come as obvious that I was NOT confused that people are liking a certain figure very much over others. I am confused about what makes this figure a charm for others, and why they prefer it over others.

I'm afraid your statement directly contradicts itself.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on November 12, 2021, 07:04:06 AM
Quote from: Lynx on November 12, 2021, 12:32:53 AM
avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO Hey there! Apologies for the mention, but are you guys still looking into making that spinosaurus figure? I really like the color schemes and am still looking for a decent 2014-style spinosaurus that isn't massive (PNSO) or poor quality (CollectA)

avatar_Lynx @Lynx  Hey! Can't say for sure as we ran into some problems with that project and they haven't been sloved till this very day so we might have to cancel it, sorry to disappoint you :'(

Aw, alright! Thank you for responding though!
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on October 16, 2021, 08:22:15 PM

Sorry for the heated discussion guys but being one of the few manufacturers that still interact with people on this forum these kinds of replies really make us feel that we are not welcome here. Should we leave for good?

Officer, I'd like to report somebody threatening me with a good time.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lynx

I have a question: Why does REBOR have such low ratings on the DTB? Besides balance issues with the Acrocanthosaurus and King T-rex, I see no reason for such low ratings on the products. They have really good detail and quality, so why am I seeing 2 and 3 stars on the majority? The Yutyrannus, sure, that makes sense, but three stars on the Ceratosaurus? Three and a half on Melon? I don't understand.
I don't want to flare up the argument, but I would just like to know why. Is there some keen issue with the figures that cause them to receive this?
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

Quote from: Lynx on November 12, 2021, 04:10:46 PM
I have a question: Why does REBOR have such low ratings on the DTB? Besides balance issues with the Acrocanthosaurus and King T-rex, I see no reason for such low ratings on the products. They have really good detail and quality, so why am I seeing 2 and 3 stars on the majority? The Yutyrannus, sure, that makes sense, but three stars on the Ceratosaurus? Three and a half on Melon? I don't understand.
I don't want to flare up the argument, but I would just like to know why. Is there some keen issue with the figures that cause them to receive this?

I think that's a question you would need to ask each and every person that cast a vote on the product. I could tell you why I vote the way I do but I'm only one person. Sometimes I'm vexed by the votes a certain figure receives but I can only speculate as to why they receive it. Out of all the Rebor figures reviewed on the blog the only one I personally like is Mesozoic Rhapsody, which incidentally also has the highest rating.

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on November 12, 2021, 04:32:43 PM

I think that's a question you would need to ask each and every person that cast a vote on the product. I could tell you why I vote the way I do but I'm only one person. Sometimes I'm vexed by the votes a certain figure receives but I can only speculate as to why they receive it. Out of all the Rebor figures reviewed on the blog the only one I personally like is Mesozoic Rhapsody, which incidentally also has the highest rating.

As I recall, Rebor made a big fuss on Facebook because they didn't like how their Ceratosaurus and T. rex weren't getting much higher ratings than other toys. They even posted a graphic with closeups of the Battat and Safari Ceratosaurus' heads with a caption reading "Seriously, is this legit?"

Anyway, I think what transpired was that a whole lot of people voted to give these two Rebor dinos five star ratings just to spite the DTB but a whole lot of other people voted to give them one star ratings just to spite Rebor. The end result was mediocre ratings for both products.

Rebor's own fault for stirring the pot.

Bread

I can't comment on the Acro, Cerato, and Yutyrannus, but the King Tyrannosaurus was classified as a Museum and scientific accurate, which clearly its not. Honestly this whole scientific and museum classification of the figure ruined it, otherwise it is a good model with high detail and somewhat original. If it had less of a JP inspired head to it, I'd say it would be amazing. This is one of those figures that I can see why got such a low rating.

Halichoeres

Some of it might be as simple as the Dinosaur Toy Blog audience isn't quite the same as the Rebor audience. DTB readers are probably more interested in accuracy than most other subsets of dinosaur collectors, and for the most part that's just not what Rebor makes. All the FB groups and subreddits and other forums for dinosaur collectors tend to be a lot more movie/pop-culture-oriented, which is closer to Rebor's target audience. The ones that have fared well in DTB voting are the ones that are more accurate, or the ones that are retro but not pop-culture inspired.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on November 12, 2021, 05:17:01 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 12, 2021, 04:32:43 PM

As I recall, Rebor made a big fuss on Facebook because they didn't like how their Ceratosaurus and T. rex weren't getting much higher ratings than other toys. They even posted a graphic with closeups of the Battat and Safari Ceratosaurus' heads and demanded to know why their version wasn't considered better than these "pieces of crap" (I could well be misremembering that last bit, but they definitely said something derogatory about them).

Anyway, I think what transpired was that a whole lot of people voted to give these two Rebor dinos five star ratings just to spite the DTB but a whole lot of other people voted to give them one star ratings just to spite Rebor. The end result was mediocre ratings for both products.

Rebor's own fault for stirring the pot.

For those who are curious, This is the post from back when the Ceratosaurus was first reviewed on the blog, on REBORS own Facebook page
Spoiler
[close]

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: suspsy on November 12, 2021, 11:31:23 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 12, 2021, 05:23:02 AM
avatar_suspsy @suspsy i thought it should come as obvious that I was NOT confused that people are liking a certain figure very much over others. I am confused about what makes this figure a charm for others, and why they prefer it over others.

I'm afraid your statement directly contradicts itself.
Never mind, it is impossible to explain...

Lynx

What about the dimorphodon? From what I've seen, it's one of the more accurate ones.
Thank you all for responding though, as much as I feel REBOR doesn't deserve such low ratings on the majority of the figures, it does make sense why they got them.

On the flip side, I'm already forming my wish lists for next year's releases from REBOR, which will hopefully be just as good as 2021!
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Quote from: Bread on November 12, 2021, 06:08:35 PM
I can't comment on the Acro, Cerato, and Yutyrannus, but the King Tyrannosaurus was classified as a Museum and scientific accurate, which clearly its not. Honestly this whole scientific and museum classification of the figure ruined it, otherwise it is a good model with high detail and somewhat original. If it had less of a JP inspired head to it, I'd say it would be amazing. This is one of those figures that I can see why got such a low rating.

Hmm, that's odd. When was it released? If it was during a point when this sort of style was more accepted, then I can see it as partially understandable for the prior reason. If not, then perhaps it was just for advertisement? I do find it a bit odd they'd call it scientifically accurate though.
An oversized house cat.

stargatedalek

They went hard on marketing their first few figures as "museum quality based on latest science whoah", which is why the earlier ones like Yutyrannus, Tyrannosaurus, Utahraptor, and Ceratosaurus were rated so poorly. That aggressive and categorically deceptive marketing left a bad smell on the brand for a good while.

suspsy

Quote from: Takama on November 12, 2021, 06:54:48 PM
For those who are curious, This is the post from back when the Ceratosaurus was first reviewed on the blog, on REBORS own Facebook page
Spoiler
[close]

Thanks, avatar_Takama @Takama. I've gone back and edited my earlier comment accordingly.

Bread

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 12, 2021, 09:17:59 PM
They went hard on marketing their first few figures as "museum quality based on latest science whoah", which is why the earlier ones like Yutyrannus, Tyrannosaurus, Utahraptor, and Ceratosaurus were rated so poorly. That aggressive and categorically deceptive marketing left a bad smell on the brand for a good while.
stargatedalek was more on point than I was. I was unaware that it was featured on their Acro, Utahraptor, Ceratosaurus. Only thought it was Yutyrannus and King Tyrannosaurus then later removed as it caused controversy.

Also, the Tyrannosaurus was released in 2014, so it definitely was more of a pop-culture reconstruction than it was scientific. I loved the figure at the time, but it had a lot of mix reviews since it was extremely inaccurate for a quote on quote scientific model. Best way to describe it was a JP Tyrannosaurus on steroids.

I would also say during this time, a lot of Rebor figures faced stability issues. If I recall correctly, the only figure to not have stability issues was the Yutyrannus.
Rebor Acro faced warping and needed to have the corpse in its mouth to balance, even with the oversized feet it could not stand well, some models do remain more stable than others though.
Utahraptor had very rubber-like plastic legs and was balancing on one leg with a metal rod, eventually the figure would lean down.
Ceratosaurus had warped legs, so it was always a chance on getting an unbalanced figure.
King Tyrannosaurus needed to have a corpse (fallen queen) to really stand steadily so that is an extra $30+ for that, instead of using the foot stool rock. Plus no promised king trident.

Not trying to stir the pot, just wanted to point out other reasons for low reviews.
Regardless of these balancing issues, I am still looking for the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus. I am even tempted to just buy a knockoff at this point instead of paying $150+ for one.

SidB

avatar_Bread @Bread , as regards your quite accurate "JP Tyrannosauruson steroids" comment, I'd have to say that if at the time Rebor had marketed it for what it actually was, the DTF reviews would have been a lot more favorable, I believe. I have one and really like it, for what it is. Glad that i still have it. It's surviving the test of time and was, IMO, a great product within it's boundaries. The problem was that it was marketed outside of these boundaries.

It was a very injudicious move to condemn the Safari Ceratosaurus and iconic Battat T-rex as crap, since the latter in particular, remains as a milestone in the history of dinosaur toys/models. That was a very bad move, which alienated a lot of people, who otherwise may well have rated the Rebor T-rex as a 4-5, instead of a 2-3. If we had been a bit more objective during the turmoil, I think that the higher rating would have stuck, but, of course, heads were not cool at the time. Understandable. It's sometimes hard to rise above the fray during such a controversy.

blnadal

Bread

Quote from: SidB on November 13, 2021, 01:35:41 PM
avatar_Bread @Bread , as regards your quite accurate "JP Tyrannosauruson steroids" comment, I'd have to say that if at the time Rebor had marketed it for what it actually was, the DTF reviews would have been a lot more favorable, I believe. I have one and really like it, for what it is. Glad that i still have it. It's surviving the test of time and was, IMO, a great product within it's boundaries. The problem was that it was marketed outside of these boundaries.
Oh 100%. I loved it when it was revealed and  released. Yes I did just recently part ways with the figure, but it was one of my first high quality models.

Quote from: blnadal on November 15, 2021, 01:53:32 AM

That is beautiful! I need a large scale alligator and it seems rebor are going to deliver. I am curious on the size they are basing the figure on. Looks to me like a large adult and hopefully the coloration will be correct.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: