News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

And I wasn't aware that we had any impressions of Acrocanthosaurus, full body or otherwise.

Edited - Admin.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

DinoLord

Yeah I don't think there are any; footprints would be the closest thing. Not a lot of dinosaur fossil material is known from that part of the world - local fossil hunters consider even a partial tooth a holy grail find!

TJ_Terrorsaur

It would be really awesome if (but make me be like shuush and take my money) Rebor made 17-20 dollar models. Like some of you mentioned Velociraptors and other small dinosaurs. I'd like to see a pack of Compsegnathus', ooh or maybe Protoceratops? That'd be kind of cool. :D Or perhaps baby sauropods all in a group, like they all just hatched. ^_^ That'd be neat. 

Heck I'd really like to see a velociraptor battling a protoceratops.

tanystropheus

Given the paucity of skeletal findings, I believe that REBOR did their research. According to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrocanthosaurus

...Unlike Allosaurus, there was no prominent crest on the lacrimal bone in front of the eye. The lacrimal and postorbital bones met to form a thick brow over the eye, as seen in carcharodontosaurids and the unrelated abelisaurids...

...Potential prey animals include sauropods like Astrodon or possibly even the enormous Sauroposeidon, as well as large ornithopods like Tenontosaurus...

commentary: On the one hand, the Acrocanthosaurus lacks a bony crest (as opposed to Allosaurus); on the other hand, some artistic license may have been employed to approximate the "thick brow over the eye(s)". Furthermore, the Tenontosaurus is mentioned in the article as a 'potential prey' - REBOR is expected to include Tenontosaurus remains on the base.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: DinoLord on April 09, 2015, 11:53:15 PM
Yeah I don't think there are any; footprints would be the closest thing. Not a lot of dinosaur fossil material is known from that part of the world - local fossil hunters consider even a partial tooth a holy grail find!
That's what I thought.  I live in Oklahoma where Acro was discovered, I think it would've been a pretty big deal to find a full body impression of this dinosaur.

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 10, 2015, 02:23:16 AM
Given the paucity of skeletal findings, I believe that REBOR did their research. According to wikipedia:

...Unlike Allosaurus, there was no prominent crest on the lacrimal bone in front of the eye. The lacrimal and postorbital bones met to form a thick brow over the eye, as seen in carcharodontosaurids and the unrelated abelisaurids...

commentary: On the one hand, the Acrocanthosaurus lacks a bony crest (as opposed to Allosaurus); on the other hand, some artistic license may have been employed to approximate the "thick brow over the eye(s)".
Regarding the first sentence you quoted from the Acrocanthosaurus Wikipedia page, note the sentences that precede it: "Long, low ridges arose from the nasal bones, running along each side of the snout from the nostril back to the eye, where they continued onto the lacrimal bones. This is a characteristic feature of all allosauroids. Unlike Allosaurus, there was no prominent crest on the lacrimal bone in front of the eye."

What it means is Acrocanthosaurus did have bony crests before its eyes, they're just fairly low, unlike the conspicuous ones of Allosaurus.  As for the second sentence you quoted, the thick brow over the eye it refers to is the orbital boss of the postorbital - which is the bone between the lacrimal and postorbital bones.  It doesn't refer to something which isn't bone.  The first picture under the Methods section in this paper is very informative about Acrocanthosaurus's skull: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0017932#s2

Takama

Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on April 10, 2015, 02:19:39 AM
It would be really awesome if (but make me be like shuush and take my money) Rebor made 17-20 dollar models. Like some of you mentioned Velociraptors and other small dinosaurs. I'd like to see a pack of Compsegnathus', ooh or maybe Protoceratops? That'd be kind of cool. :D Or perhaps baby sauropods all in a group, like they all just hatched. ^_^ That'd be neat. 

The only way i would forgive them for there Attitude here, and buy there products is if they made species smaller then there Utahraptor, but i don't just want a few, i want diversification, and i don't want multiples of the same species, i want a variety of Genera. But given there track record, this is just seems to be wishful thinking.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Takama on April 10, 2015, 06:47:46 PM
Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on April 10, 2015, 02:19:39 AM

The only way i would forgive them for there Attitude here, and buy there products is if they made species smaller then there Utahraptor, but i don't just want a few, i want diversification, and i don't want multiples of the same species, i want a variety of Genera. But given there track record, this is just seems to be wishful thinking.
How can we say anything in regards to their "track record"?  It consists of six models thus far, one of which being a non-scale, limited edition hatchling.

Takama

Im refering to there main series of 1:35 Dinosaurs. There all Large Species geared at the AWESOME BRO crowd, The Chances of them making almost any of the species i would like are slim.  (Velociraptor, Protoceratops, Coelophysus, a small Ornithopod, Masikasaurus, just to name a few)  In addition to those, i do hope they can make more obscure genera of all sizes (Concavenator, Saichania, More then 3 Sauropods, and a Thrizinosaur.)

tanystropheus

I don't think we have a large enough sample to truly figure out what direction they are going. The awesomebro model, if it is based on spare parts, seems to give the impression that they are sticking to common dinosaurs, but the presence of Acrocanthosaurus, Utahraptor, Y-rex, and Tenontosaurus models suggest that REBOR could potentially drift away from the 'core' dinosaurs.

It is always a good thing, imo, to introduce obscure species. Some companies (e.g. Favorite) only stick to core dinosaurs because they are regarded as safe. I find it incredibly annoying that Kinto Favorite make it rather difficult for collectors to get a hold of their obscure dinosaurs. It's almost as if they have limited faith in their own products.

Shadowknight1

Personally, I still think that, to the "Awesome Bro" crowd, dinosaurs like Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus are near unknowns.  Ceratosaurus maybe a little less so thanks to a brief cameo in JP3.  I personally wouldn't have even heard of Acrocanthosaurus if not for the video games Warpath: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park Operation Genesis.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on April 10, 2015, 03:39:30 PM

commentary: On the one hand, the Acrocanthosaurus lacks a bony crest (as opposed to Allosaurus); on the other hand, some artistic license may have been employed to approximate the "thick brow over the eye(s)".
Regarding the first sentence you quoted from the Acrocanthosaurus Wikipedia page, note the sentences that precede it: "Long, low ridges arose from the nasal bones, running along each side of the snout from the nostril back to the eye, where they continued onto the lacrimal bones. This is a characteristic feature of all allosauroids. Unlike Allosaurus, there was no prominent crest on the lacrimal bone in front of the eye."

What it means is Acrocanthosaurus did have bony crests before its eyes, they're just fairly low, unlike the conspicuous ones of Allosaurus.  As for the second sentence you quoted, the thick brow over the eye it refers to is the orbital boss of the postorbital - which is the bone between the lacrimal and postorbital bones.  It doesn't refer to something which isn't bone.  The first picture under the Methods section in this paper is very informative about Acrocanthosaurus's skull: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0017932#s2

Thank you for the clarification. I found it quite informative. The picture of the Acro in the Methods section looks kind of sad. I don't think REBOR wants to release a sad Acro  ;D . I wonder if the the general outline of REBOR's Acro skull is relatively accurate (with or without the artistic license) or reasonable..

Shadowknight1

Based on the single picture so far, I'd say that, apart from the angry eyebrows, it seems to be a decently accurate headsculpt.

Arul

Acro color reveal in May, maybe. plus waiting it until available on international market. The price is maybe same with the king trex i visit dan's dinosaur website. So much time to saving our money so lets do it wisely guys lol

Shadowknight1

Quote from: ARUL on April 11, 2015, 05:08:08 PM
Acro color reveal in May, maybe. plus waiting it until available on international market. The price is maybe same with the king trex i visit dan's dinosaur website. So much time to saving our money so lets do it wisely guys lol
Man, forget waiting, I'm going to get the Acro through a UK store so I don't have to wait a month or two like I have been for Wind Hunter.

joossa

The ceratosaurus should be out in a week or two.  ;D
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 11, 2015, 02:21:06 AM
Quote from: Sim on April 10, 2015, 03:39:30 PM

Thank you for the clarification. I found it quite informative. The picture of the Acro in the Methods section looks kind of sad. I don't think REBOR wants to release a sad Acro  ;D . I wonder if the the general outline of REBOR's Acro skull is relatively accurate (with or without the artistic license) or reasonable..
I can see how it can look sad, but only after you mentioned it and if I try to see that in it.  I've seen many Acrocanthosaurus reconstructions that don't look sad and don't have enormous crests over their eyes, so probably the reason for them on the Rebor figure was to try to make Rebor's Acro look more agressive.  Regarding the Rebor Acro's skull, something else I noticed is the Rebor Acro has a raised area at the top of its head that doesn't match with Acrocanthosaurus's skull.

Shadowknight1

I noticed that too Sim, but I honestly see it as a bit of the flesh that continues from the brow.  Bits of artistic license that, being flesh, don't have to be part of the fossil.  After all, human noses aren't seen in skeletons, but we still have them.  And that particular skeletal reconstruction also shows that Acro's skull isn't as long as some figures make it look.  Honestly, aside from artistic fleshy protrusions, the only thing about the Acro that isn't accurate is the arms.  Mainly the fact that the arm couldn't flex very far, the humerus being unable to form a right angle with the forearm bones, which the figure here does.  Not a big deal though, both the Wild Safari and CollectA figures did the same thing.

EDIT: Actually, noticed something on the skull of the mounted skeleton.  If you zoom in and look towards the back of the skull, just above where the eyes would be, you'll see a raised ridge starting there and moving back.  That may be where that flesh in the center of the skull comes in.

EDIT 2: REBOR said on their Facebook page that Utahraptor should be arriving at Big Bad Toy Store next week.  Hopefully this means they fixed the leaning problem, but I doubt it.  Going to have to do some dino shuffling to get him on the shelf with the rest of my figures.

bruno

Quote from: Takama on April 11, 2015, 01:56:09 AM
Im refering to there main series of 1:35 Dinosaurs. There all Large Species geared at the AWESOME BRO crowd, The Chances of them making almost any of the species i would like are slim.  (Velociraptor, Protoceratops, Coelophysus, a small Ornithopod, Masikasaurus, just to name a few)  In addition to those, i do hope they can make more obscure genera of all sizes (Concavenator, Saichania, More then 3 Sauropods, and a Thrizinosaur.)
Its only five models, I'm hoping the sixth will be something different but it's far too early to criticize, they are still new.

joossa

Bringing up the Acro's base again... I posted this a while back:
Quote from: joossa on March 31, 2015, 08:40:12 PM
EDIT: Sounds like their base for the Acro will look something like the below based on their description:
Moreover, a collectible rock base comes along with Hercules, and the best part is, a removable realistic Tenontosaurus remains (head to chest with a front limb)will be included as accessories, think about the image of a lion bites a gazelle's neck and leave it hangs just like that...that's how it's going to be and gosh it will be GORE! And of course you can also put it inside other dinosaurs' mouths, or simply use it to build your diorama, consider Hercules is a deluxe figure set from REBOR!

Having the Acro's base look something like this would be satisfying:

Found this other base/diorama by Baryonyx-walkeri on DeviantArt, and something like this would be nice too, but it seems like the carcass will be more severed than the one below:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: