News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobber

Hi REBOR, glad you came back. Please don't be discouraged, I really like your models for what they are and think they look gorgeous. As for this current leg issue, as I said on the previous page, I already did the extremely hot water, bend, and rapid cool technique. After a few hours they just bent back to they're warped shape...while on the display stand. I am an experienced modeler and am very familiar with this technique and wonder if the type of material the model is made of is causing it to return to the improper shape.

To help, possible solutions to help prevent this in the future would be:
1) as Takama said, include removable pins in both feat that could peg into the base, as the Utahraptor does (with 1 leg)
2) when packing the models include either a plastic "tray" both feet could snap into to help them keep their position or even just use an inexpensive cardboard shim that could go between the legs to keep them from warping.

Just some ideas that may hopefully help.  Don't give up, there are plenty of fans and supporters of your line. There may be some detractors but I think you have more supporters...even if we sometimes may just be trying to give you constructive critisism.  Keep the faith.  O:-)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Takama

Rebor I am sorry about how you feel. 

I see a Velociraptor and Protoceratops were on your plans. may i ask if there were any other small species on your plans as well? (Smaller then 3 meters)

Shonisaurus

I understand your concern company Rebor pain, but dinosaurs whose prototypes are interesting.

Perhaps that I think would be great it would be the brachiosaurus and top with a base, apart from the enormous cost, that it may be if a 1:35 scale four privileged. I for one have ordered the Rebor ceratosaurus and I can say that I will follow blindly all the recommendations that both you in your video and forum members have to solve the problem of keeping the figure.

On the other hand I am very interested prototype Protoceratops vs Velociraptor. My greatest wish that this figure was the same material as the ceratosaurus prefer that material that triceratops breeding Jolly, the I have a beautiful bookshelf and although you can not handle due to their extreme fragility.

Indeed pathetic excuse for my English, I recognize that is horrible.

But please do not throw in the towel who follows get as the saying goes.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on May 02, 2015, 07:13:07 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 02, 2015, 06:22:30 PM
I have used a hairdryer and hot water in the past, neither of which were successful. Both reverted back to their old positions relatively quickly. Next time I get a warped figure I would consider trying boiling water and then putting it in the freezer.

These days, if I receive a figure that is so badly warped that it can't stand by itself, then I would want a refund or replacement. It is advertised as being able to stand in the stock photos, so mine should be able to stand. Otherwise it is false advertisement. Little things like slightly warped arms or legs are okay, but figures that cannot stand are a no for me.

Here is a message to one of our fans, and we would like to share it with all collectors:

"There is nothing to do with quality control, we have very strict colouration quality controls to ensure each one looks as good as official photos. To be honest we just don't know how to deal with this problem, please don't forget we've just entered the field for less than a year, we admit that we are inexperienced in many things, however we do love this job and we are not making any profit from the Ceratosaurus project, the cost of that base equals to the manufacturing cost of Papo T-rex, plus most collectors use this trick to solve plastic deformations for around 70% of models and figures in the market, price range from 9.99 Pounds to 299.99 Pounds.

We are really sorry that you feel disappointed and we would like to ask for your forgiveness on our knees, at this stage we are really considering if REBOR should keep going on or simply quit from the field, we are really spending our own money to make these models become possible at this price, and we would like to beg you to give us a reason not to shut down REBOR."

We are not professional manufactures like Papo or Sideshow, we are just a group of dinosaur enthusiasts who want to share our works with the world, like John Hammond said, we spared no expense to make these models become possible, that means we are spending our own money to make gifts for you, you should be able to understand the cost after we explained the whole manufacturing process in detail. Please stop comparing us with Papo, one piece injection molding is insanely expensive, and we don't even want to talk about cost of mold itself, not to mention all the polystone bases, true, polystone isn't gold, but isn't cheap either, so if you are imagining us sitting behind the desk and counting money, wrong and wrong, in fact 2 REBOR members have quit from the team, since they believed they were doing the right thing but all they have felt is disappointment, they don't want to spend their own money just to get blamed anymore, and to be honest this thought is now with all other memebers, after all we have no obligation to continue the brand, and we could shut down REBOR permanently at any time, all molds and existing products will be recalled and destroyed, all future projects including Acrocanthosaurus will be cancelled, existing prototype sculptures such as Allosaurus,Carnotaurus,Triceratops, Mosasaurus, Brachiosaurus,Protoceratops VS Velociraptors will all be destroyed. We love what we do but now we just don't want to do it anymore.

I really hope you guys don't quit what you're doing, my husband and I love your models and are always always eager to see what you guys come out with next. I understand why you would feel this way and I'm sorry that you've hit a block in the road. I just hope the fans, like me and my husband can push that road block out of your way and offer a comforting supportive hand. I prefer your figures over everything else and save my money for only your models. Papo's great and all but they're a huge company, they don't put love into their stuff like you do. I'd rather support you and your company than buy from a company that's like Papo or Schleich, where there is no love in the figures. Your models even if some are warped or need a post to stand/lean on are still wonderful and made by your hands, not some machine.
I really hope you don't quit and that you stay around a lot longer.

To end this reply I shall quote Voltaire. "Once long ago, there was a time in what now seems a distant land. Each small boutique was precious and unique where every little thing was made by hand. Then there came a revolution. The product of production was attained. Now instead of one, there are many. And each costs just a penny. But every single one looks just the same."

tanystropheus

It's truly unfortunate that 2 members of REBOR have already quit. The company shows tremendous potential and promise. I think REBOR should focus on well-grounded (perhaps, less dynamic) postured models, at least for the next 2 or 3 dinosaurs. This would buy time for REBOR to figure out what's causing the inherent imbalance. As far as I could tell, the Acrocanthosaurus seems remarkably stable, both feet are planted firmly on the ground, and the weight of the model appears to be distributed uniformly across the model. No ninjutsu poses. The Velociraptor vs Protoceratops seems like a safe bet as diorama models rarely topple over. Also, who wouldn't want a definitive Protoceratops model?  My best Protoceratops model is from Tyco and that's decades old. Triceratops, Brachiosaurus, Mosasaurus, and Quetzalcoatlus are all safe models, especially with respect to stability of stance. Perhaps, REBOR should temporarily change focus (or prioritize) from theropods to non-theropods.

The amazing 6 inch Batman the Animated Series/The New Adventures of Batman line had recently experienced quality control issues involving joint breakage. However, the line does included translucent doll stands for each figure. A V-shaped transparent/translucent stand (along the line of SEGA's Dino King figures) might be the perfect solution for REBOR models. These seemingly inexpensive stands may be considered for future REBOR models.

http://dinotoyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SegaTrex-1.jpg

Dobber

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 02, 2015, 09:12:46 PM
It's truly unfortunate that 2 members of REBOR have already quit. The company shows tremendous potential and promise. I think REBOR should focus on well-grounded (perhaps, less dynamic) postured models, at least for the next 2 or 3 dinosaurs. This would buy time for REBOR to figure out what's causing the inherent imbalance. As far as I could tell, the Acrocanthosaurus seems remarkably stable, both feet are planted firmly on the ground, and the weight of the model appears to be distributed uniformly across the model. No ninjutsu poses. The Velociraptor vs Protoceratops seems like a safe bet as diorama models rarely topple over. Also, who wouldn't want a definitive Protoceratops model?  My best Protoceratops model is from Tyco and that's decades old. Triceratops, Brachiosaurus, Mosasaurus, and Quetzalcoatlus are all safe models, especially with respect to stability of stance. Perhaps, REBOR should temporarily change focus (or prioritize) from theropods to non-theropods.

The amazing 6 inch Batman the Animated Series/The New Adventures of Batman line had recently experienced quality control issues involving joint breakage. However, the line does included translucent doll stands for each figure. A V-shaped transparent/translucent stand (along the line of SEGA's Dino King figures) might be the perfect solution for REBOR models. These seemingly inexpensive stands may be considered for future REBOR models.

The Ceratosaurus also has both of it's feet firmly planted. As REBOR explained, the problem seems to occur during shipping. The legs just need to be stabilized  and protected during shipping. Problem solved.  ;) Moving them back into position isn't a big deal, either, as a few of us and REBOR have described. The problem for me is that the legs....on mine....keep reverting back to the bent shape.
I for one would love to see another Allosaurus. I've had nothing but bad luck with the Papo one...lousy paint apps.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Shonisaurus

I wish both carnotaurus such as Allosaurus and Velociraptor vs. Protoceratops did not have problems of sustainability.

Moreover Acrocanthosaurus you would like to see the painted promises to be an excellent figure, collector's own apart from that housing Tenontosaurus I wish it were a shocking and horrifying figure in its realism. Good as seen in documentaries antelopes and zebras gutted and skinned by predators.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dobber on May 02, 2015, 10:47:20 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 02, 2015, 09:12:46 PM

The Ceratosaurus also has both of it's feet firmly planted.

Chris

Not quite. Yes, the feet are 'firmly' planted but the surface area that actually makes contact with the ground is far less when compared with the Acro. It's actually a good/pragmatic thing that the Acro has larger feet, as it will certainly allow for greater stability. Furthermore, the Acro is taking a milder stride than the other theropods in the REBOR collection. Usually, models with greater strides are at risk for instability. Several collectors have had problems with the Papo Allosaurus and Papo Running T-rex. The reason for the lack of stability can be attributed to the exaggerated stride.

Moreover, as stated earlier, pegs can be readily installed on the bases (with corresponding inserts on both feet of the dinosaur models), but there will be a minimal compromise to the models' aesthetics.

tanystropheus

A summer release for the Mosasaurus model would be ideal as it may potentially benefit from the increased visibility and publicity from Jurassic World.

DinoToyForum

I'm moving the general discussion here to the general Rebor discussion thread, stand by...  C:-) Edit - done.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on May 02, 2015, 07:13:07 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 02, 2015, 06:22:30 PM
I have used a hairdryer and hot water in the past, neither of which were successful. Both reverted back to their old positions relatively quickly. Next time I get a warped figure I would consider trying boiling water and then putting it in the freezer.

These days, if I receive a figure that is so badly warped that it can't stand by itself, then I would want a refund or replacement. It is advertised as being able to stand in the stock photos, so mine should be able to stand. Otherwise it is false advertisement. Little things like slightly warped arms or legs are okay, but figures that cannot stand are a no for me.

Here is a message to one of our fans, and we would like to share it with all collectors:

"There is nothing to do with quality control, we have very strict colouration quality controls to ensure each one looks as good as official photos. To be honest we just don't know how to deal with this problem, please don't forget we've just entered the field for less than a year, we admit that we are inexperienced in many things, however we do love this job and we are not making any profit from the Ceratosaurus project, the cost of that base equals to the manufacturing cost of Papo T-rex, plus most collectors use this trick to solve plastic deformations for around 70% of models and figures in the market, price range from 9.99 Pounds to 299.99 Pounds.

We are really sorry that you feel disappointed and we would like to ask for your forgiveness on our knees, at this stage we are really considering if REBOR should keep going on or simply quit from the field, we are really spending our own money to make these models become possible at this price, and we would like to beg you to give us a reason not to shut down REBOR."

We are not professional manufactures like Papo or Sideshow, we are just a group of dinosaur enthusiasts who want to share our works with the world, like John Hammond said, we spared no expense to make these models become possible, that means we are spending our own money to make gifts for you, you should be able to understand the cost after we explained the whole manufacturing process in detail. Please stop comparing us with Papo, one piece injection molding is insanely expensive, and we don't even want to talk about cost of mold itself, not to mention all the polystone bases, true, polystone isn't gold, but isn't cheap either, so if you are imagining us sitting behind the desk and counting money, wrong and wrong, in fact 2 REBOR members have quit from the team, since they believed they were doing the right thing but all they have felt is disappointment, they don't want to spend their own money just to get blamed anymore, and to be honest this thought is now with all other memebers, after all we have no obligation to continue the brand, and we could shut down REBOR permanently at any time, all molds and existing products will be recalled and destroyed, all future projects including Acrocanthosaurus will be cancelled, existing prototype sculptures such as Allosaurus,Carnotaurus,Triceratops, Mosasaurus, Brachiosaurus,Protoceratops VS Velociraptors will all be destroyed. We love what we do but now we just don't want to do it anymore.
Please don't feel discouraged.  Even hearing about all the leaning problems with Utahraptor didn't make me cancel my order for one.  Between you and the fans, there's enough resourceful people to help the brand grow!  While space prohibits me from ordering every single dinosaur you create, any time one of my favorites comes down the pipeline, I'll be lining up for one(metaphorically speaking, of course).  I'm extremely excited for the Acrocanthosaurus and seeing that you have Allosaurus planned as well...that is just so much that I want.  So please, don't be discouraged.  I'm ready to put in my order for an Acro as soon as I can and I'm awaiting my Wind Hunter with baited breath!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Simon

Stiff upper lip, old chap. Don't give up the ship just yet. Grow a thicker skin and don't take every critique you read online personally.

My differences with your advertising methods aside, it would be a damned shame for you to give up just when your work is reaching its promise (with the Ceratosaurus and the upcoming Acrocanthosaurus, both of which show great improvement over the earlier offerings).  The revelation of the future pieces that you mentioned will also make a lot of collectors, I am sure, start doing back-flips of joy.

As an aside, you might want to hire someone to do a serious re-assessment of your business plan, because you DO have to turn a profit in order to remain viable in the long run.  Even if that means slowing down your production schedule or re-assessing your pricing.

Arul

Oh man, rebor is that your next models ? If yes, as your fans actually i dont expect any spoiler of your future models i want to keep the "atmosphere" waiting your models release one by one waiting for it is very something you know how to torture the fans lol. If that your planning i beg you please dont quit that is really great planning  :'(

Takama

Rebor the way you worded your Post made me feel a little sympathy for you. But as Simon Said (you need to grow thicker skin), or strive more for Whats truly accurate and not pander to what the General public is used too. Many more collectors may give you a chance. Also consider more obscure creatures.  Almost every company has made a Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Ceratosaurus, T.Rex, Triceratops, and Acrocanthosaurus. The most distinguishing model to me in your line is the Yutyrannus, Which i was considering buying until you revealed that you were going to make a winter version (because it would be more accurate).

I personally would love it if you made some more small species, and release ones that are truly rare in toy form, like Galamimus and Some Ornithopods.

tyrantqueen

Don't feel too down about it. I'm sure it's just a bad spot. The business world is a very harsh one, and it's a given that you'll hit a snag every now and then.

You have only been around for a short time but you have lots of fans who would be sad to see you go. 

sauroid

REBOR, you have more supporters than detractors, and your fans will keep on increasing. please dont quit.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2015, 04:03:59 AM
Rebor the way you worded your Post made me feel a little sympathy for you. But as Simon Said (you need to grow thicker skin), or strive more for Whats truly accurate and not pander to what the General public is used too. Many more collectors may give you a chance. Also consider more obscure creatures.  Almost every company has made a Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Ceratosaurus, T.Rex, Triceratops, and Acrocanthosaurus. The most distinguishing model to me in your line is the Yutyrannus, Which i was considering buying until you revealed that you were going to make a winter version (because it would be more accurate).

I personally would love it if you made some more small species, and release ones that are truly rare in toy form, like Galamimus and Some Ornithopods.
Excuse me, what?  I have ONE Acro on my shelf that's any good.  The only other one I might consider getting is the Battat.  The Carnegie is horrible.  Those are the only Acro figurines that I can think of off the top off my head that aren't small Japanese figures.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 03, 2015, 04:50:53 AM
Excuse me, what?  I have ONE Acro on my shelf that's any good.  The only other one I might consider getting is the Battat.  The Carnegie is horrible.  Those are the only Acro figurines that I can think of off the top off my head that aren't small Japanese figures.
Just out of curiosity, which is the one you regard as good, the Wild Safari or the CollectA deluxe? The Carnegie is pretty bad, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2015, 04:03:59 AM

I'm not sure If I agree with what you said here. It's always a great idea for a fresh 'interpretation' on classic dinosaur designs (it's also a smart decision from a business perspective as classic designs tend to sell). There is plenty of demand for Triceratops, Brachiosaurus, Allosaurus and T-rex (retailers have sold out of REBOR King T-rex multiple times). People were waiting for a 'definitive' model of T-rex and Triceratops from Carnegie...and they continued to wait. There are only a handful of Acro models, and REBOR's version appears to be the best, hands down. As far as currently released dinosaurs are concerned, the most distinguishing REBOR model is Ceratosaurus and while Safari released a good model for the price range ($7-$12)....REBOR's model + base offers something quite unique. In fact, I was hoping that Papo would produce a Cerato, but REBOR delivered, instead. REBOR's Y-rex was distinguished when it was released last year, but the Ceratosaurus far eclipses it. Let's be honest, there aren't too many quality Ceratosaurus models out there. I'm glad that REBOR presented their interpretation of Ceratosaurus. Regarding Gallimimus (and other ornithopods), there is more risk involved from a business perspective...I'm not against it, but I would let REBOR build their portfolio first.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 03, 2015, 05:07:15 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 03, 2015, 04:50:53 AM
Just out of curiosity, which is the one you regard as good, the Wild Safari or the CollectA deluxe? The Carnegie is pretty bad, though.
The Wild Safari.  The CollectA isn't out and I have 0 plans on purchasing it due to inaccuracies.  REBOR's model is superior.  Even if it falls flat on its face with a slight breeze, it'd be superior to CollectA's humpbacked Carcharodontid.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: