News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite - New for 2015

Started by Dan, February 23, 2015, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

In addition to the more widespread availability of their soft model Anomalocaris and Dunkleosteus, Favorite will be issuing an updated version of their Spinosaurus skeleton. Not surprisingly, it appears this model was crafted before recent material was published.

Given the investment and time typically involved for manufacturing these models, it may still be a couple years before we see more contemporary reconstructions of the species reaching mass-market (and yes, CollectA has been quite the exception in this regard).

As always, new releases can be found as soon as they arrive at DansDinosaurs.com

Dinomike

The legs on this one look a bit shorter than on your average Spino and the lower jaw looks a little bit chunky too. Maybe they had time to shorten the legs? Still looks good though! :D
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Daspletodave

The new Favorite Archelon and Dimetrodon arrived

DinoLord

Nice acquisitions! They look a bit shiny - is that just the lighting in the photo?

John

I have the Dimetrodon and it's one of the best of the genus I've seen,easily identifiable as D. limbatus.Seeing the in-hand photos,I'm going to have to get ahold of one of those Archelon models too. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

ItsTwentyBelow

Very nice!  8) Thanks for the pics.

I will be interested in acquiring these two. I recently received the Favorite Anomalocaris and Dunkleosteus, my first two Soft Models, and was very impressed. Also will be cool to get a lesser seen species of Dimetrodon!

These seem to be released in twos as of late... I am excited to see the finished Megalodon model, and hopefully learn what the other animal released alongside it will be.

Takama

Halichoeres

Opabinia, yes? That will look great next to their Anomalocaris. Is it too much to hope that this means they might make some Devonian companion for the Dunkleosteus?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Very nice! Opabinia and Anomalocaris sure seem to be the most popular animals of their days, but you can't have enough of both in my mind.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 16, 2015, 04:17:06 PM
Opabinia, yes? That will look great next to their Anomalocaris. Is it too much to hope that this means they might make some Devonian companion for the Dunkleosteus?

If they do it will probably be Cladoselache. Which would be fine, although the Safari toob (or Dinotales) is just about the right size already.

What we need is a decent rhizodont or pandericthyid to proper scale!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on June 16, 2015, 11:08:40 PM

If they do it will probably be Cladoselache. Which would be fine, although the Safari toob (or Dinotales) is just about the right size already.

Yeah, that's what I'd like to see! But maybe they consider the megalodon companion enough. Damned shame if so.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

triceratops83

Opabinia, another surprise from Favorite. It's good to see they are giving us more Paleozoic life.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 17, 2015, 12:44:36 AM

Yeah, that's what I'd like to see! But maybe they consider the megalodon companion enough. Damned shame if so.

I personally consider the Megalodon figures to be placeholder figures until the sculptor does something more interesting--at best, they're bulky great white sharks. At worst, they're just great white sharks (which, yes, are cool, but not in this context). It's not like there is a lack of even other large sharks to make (hence, i stand by my push for Cretoxyrhina to get made--even if, really, still not much different).

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on June 17, 2015, 05:11:23 AM

I personally consider the Megalodon figures to be placeholder figures until the sculptor does something more interesting--at best, they're bulky great white sharks. At worst, they're just great white sharks (which, yes, are cool, but not in this context). It's not like there is a lack of even other large sharks to make (hence, i stand by my push for Cretoxyrhina to get made--even if, really, still not much different).
I would also rather have a Cretoxyrhina than a megalodon. Until recently I would have said there's no way, given that everyone knows the name megalodon, but now that there's a Cretoxyrhina on Dinosaur Train...

John

In case anyone was wondering what color the soft model series Megalodon shark was going to be,it's here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.860687010675768.1073741902.480725025338673&type=3
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

CityRaptor

Meh, even the colors scream White Shark. C. megalodon is probably the least interesting of all prehistoric sharks.

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 17, 2015, 04:03:55 PM
I would also rather have a Cretoxyrhina than a megalodon. Until recently I would have said there's no way, given that everyone knows the name megalodon, but now that there's a Cretoxyrhina on Dinosaur Train...

It was also in the Sea Monsters special from WWD. A shark I personally want to have in toyform would be Hybodus. Very versatile, as you one can use it in the late Permian and most of the Mesozoic.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on June 17, 2015, 05:11:23 AM

It's sad from a collector point of view that Meg just isn't all that interesting. Add a whale it's chomping or something else so it stands out.  It is however interesting to show that sharks have changed very little in all their time here on our planet.

CityRaptor

Expect that C.megalodon is not that old. It's from the Miocene and Pliocene.

There is an older Megalodon, but that is not shark....or vertebrate to begin with!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalodon_(genus)
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

this is Favorite's great white shark

they just made their new C. megalodon look "fiercer"
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 26, 2015, 09:38:44 AM
Expect that C.megalodon is not that old. It's from the Miocene and Pliocene.

There is an older Megalodon, but that is not shark....or vertebrate to begin with!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalodon_(genus)

Ha! That's why it's kind of funny that everyone refers to it as Megalodon, when that's not it's name. Unless people really need a fossil bivalve in their collection? I have a brachiopod, so why not...

And have to second the sharks changing--time frame thing--sharks have changed enormously in their 400 Million years. Every shark we have today is just one brnach of a family that was far more diverse and bizarre than anything we could have expected. Really, a figure like C. megalodon just maintains the stereotype of sharks never changing. If they want to impress, do a hybodont, a pleurocanth, a petalodont or a falcatid--then we'll see what ancient sharks really looked like.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: