You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImADinosaurRARR

Just gonna leave these here. These are "on-line exclusives to be sold at a yet-to-be-named on-line retailer."

... Please say everything dinosaur. Please say everything dinosaur. Please say everything dinosaur.

Sim

I saw on Facebook you said the study that found Microraptor's colouration is now receiving criticism.  What is the source for that, as I don't know of any criticism of what that study found about Microraptor's colouration.  Additionally, there is evidence against Microraptor having that magpie-inspired colouration of this new repaint.  Colour patterns in fossilised feathers can be visible to the naked eye.  As mentioned in this Dinogoss blog post, "When you look at a fossil feather, most of the time, you're looking directly at the color pattern of the feather itself".

Some better-known examples of fossil feather colour arrangement visible to the naked eye are the alternating colour bands on the tail of Sinosauropteryx, the barred tail feathers of Caudipteryx zoui, and the colour patterns of Confuciusornis and Anchiornis.  Interestingly, Sinocalliopteryx also has alternating colour bands on its tail feathers, which I think provides more support for a close relationship to Sinosauropteryx.  It would be great to see a study done for colouration in Sinocalliopteryx, I don't doubt we're seeing its colour pattern in its fossil remains.

In Microraptor specimens like the specimen that had its colouration found, and the M. gui holotype, the primary feathers on the forelimbs are entirely dark, including over parts that have white in that magpie Microraptor repaint.  Clearly preserved parts of the leg wing feathers of those specimens are also dark over areas that are white in the magpie Microraptor repaint.  This shows a lack of contrasting colours on those feathers (not counting iridescence), and as said in the Dinogoss blog post I linked to, "dark feathers means dense melanin = dark coloration, and light color = lack of melanin = light color".  So those feathers on Microraptor show no light colour was present (not counting iridescence).  This is all consistent with the iridescent black colouration found for Microraptor by the study that analysed it.

Faelrin

I really do hope those white nestling's are available where I don't have to spend a fortune on them (more so in the case of shipping). I honestly don't think those should be exclusives anywhere since they are the corresponding nestling pack to the wetlands set. I'll still probably splurge on them if need be, I just don't want to have too. I'll have to wait and see of course.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ImADinosaurRARR

QuoteI saw on Facebook you said the study that found Microraptor's colouration is now receiving criticism.  What is the source for that, as I don't know of any criticism of what that study found about Microraptor's colouration.  Additionally, there is evidence against Microraptor having that magpie-inspired colouration of this new repaint.  Colour patterns in fossilised feathers can be visible to the naked eye.  As mentioned in this Dinogoss blog post, "When you look at a fossil feather, most of the time, you're looking directly at the color pattern of the feather itself".

... Yea looking into it, I got that completely wrong. I was getting Microraptor confused with Archaeopteryx. I had researched Archaeopteryx recently and incorrectly remembered stuff attributed to him to Microraptor. It's that or I interpreted criticism of Archaeopteryx's previous feather coverings and thought that men't all feather coverings. IDK dude it was 21:00 when I made that comment. Jezz why do people smarter then me have to correct my mistakes ;P (I've corrected the comment)

QuoteI really do hope those white nestling's are available where I don't have to spend a fortune on them (more so in the case of shipping). I honestly don't think those should be exclusives anywhere since they are the corresponding nestling pack to the wetlands set. I'll still probably splurge on them if need be, I just don't want to have too. I'll have to wait and see of course.

Agreed! I'm defiantly getting these babies where ever they end up. They're actually making me want the desert and forest pack more since the eastern set can make really good males for the original dull females.

Flaffy

Really fond of that Western Set, the pheasant mononykus... eh I'll just stick with the emu one.
Can Tsaagan and Linheraptor be lumped with Velociraptor?

Sim

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on June 17, 2017, 08:19:22 AM
Agreed! I'm defiantly getting these babies where ever they end up. They're actually making me want the desert and forest pack more since the eastern set can make really good males for the original dull females.

I think the forest pack Microraptor is the opposite of dull!  While I wouldn't consider either of the two dull, out of the forest pack Microraptor and the magpie-inspired repaint, the magpie one is the one I find is more dull, as it has those large non-iridescent white areas, while the forest pack one is almost entirely iridescent.

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on June 17, 2017, 08:37:21 AM
Really fond of that Western Set, the pheasant mononykus... eh I'll just stick with the emu one.
Can Tsaagan and Linheraptor be lumped with Velociraptor?

That's the Eastern set, FlaffyRaptors. O:-)

As far as I've seen, no palaeontologists consider Tsaagan and Linheraptor to belong within Velociraptor.  Even Gregory Paul which is well-known for lumping keeps them separate from Velociraptor in his second edition of The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs.  The only combinations I sometimes see considered are Velociraptor osmolskae representing the same species as Velociraptor mongoliensis, and Linheraptor representing the same species as Tsaagan.

Faelrin

The Xenoceratops is getting its details done now:

I can't wait to see this one's sculpt work finished, and then finally painted up. Also does anyone recognize what animal that skin impression is from?

Sim

That skin impression is from Centrosaurus apertus.

Dobber

Fans choice Sauronitholestes Langstoni sample pics up on FaceBook. This one I was really wanting to see as I actually had some influence on the look of this one. It is one of the most complex paint schemes, IMO and was nervous on how it would come out.I'm glad David isn't satisfied with it as I am a little disappointed with how the sample came out too. It needs more work, I hope they can get it closer to his master. Fingers crossed.  :-\

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

stargatedalek

It's the only one I ordered so I'm also glad to hear that. It's not bad, but definitely not as close as the others.

LeapingLaelaps

Finally going to order some raptors after saving up some money.

I'm really upset that I missed out on the blue one, if I order a red osmolskae would someone be interested in trading? Just curious :P
I might end up ordering two reds...

Silvanusaurus

I know I should have kept better track of this, but can anyone tell me at which point the payments for raptors we pre-ordered during the kickstarter campaign were supposed to be taken? And has that already happened? I honestly cant remember if i've actually paid money yet...  :-\

Faelrin

After the kickstarter was finished your initial pledge's payment should have been charged (unless you ran into issues with your card or something). You should have also been sent a survey on backerkit (check your email) where you could add more raptors and enter your shipping. It was supposed to be lockdowned in November, but if you never submitted it you can still change it.

LeapingLaelaps

More progress on the Xenoceratops sculpt, factory paint samples and a look at packaging from Facebook!

Lanthanotus

Hmm, looks like that stuff hits the market soon. Guess a good lot of people are eagerly awaiting that. Didn't join in for the pledge, but once they are released I hope I can see one of those in person to better deceide if I want a share of the pack... I'm especially fond of the environmental decoration packs (whatever they are called).

Brontozaurus

I wasn't big on the Acheroraptor before now but it looks much nicer in these photos.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

ZoPteryx

Getting really excited for these!  Does anyone if and for how long they'll be available to order after they start shipping out?

tanystropheus

terrorchicken

Quote from: Brontozaurus on July 24, 2017, 01:33:11 AM
I wasn't big on the Acheroraptor before now but it looks much nicer in these photos.

I know me too! also really tempted on getting some babies, theyre just so cute!

Halichoeres

Quote from: ZoPteryx on July 24, 2017, 01:44:46 AM
Getting really excited for these!  Does anyone if and for how long they'll be available to order after they start shipping out?

Most of them should be available for order after the Kickstarter shipment. However, I think he's getting a fixed number manufactured, and when they run out, they run out.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: