News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on February 29, 2016, 02:29:50 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on February 28, 2016, 09:22:59 PM
I have the catalog but hadnt noticed they were discontinued. Hopefully we'll get two new replacement prehistoric themed tubes in the future.

Yeah, I never noticed that before either--too bad, even if not every figure was perfect (Desmatosuchus). But it means that there are no aetosaur figures again.

On the other hand, the Prehistoric Sharks are now available in toob or in bulk! So they must be doing okay.

I hope so! I worry that the prehistoric crocs toob will be discontinued with no replacement because it wasn't selling well.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Just saw all the new sculpts today at the gift shop of the New Mexico Natural History Museum in Albuqurque, and I must say, they are all beautiful sculpts. (Also, that is one of the best museums I've been to in a while! They've got a great layout, and I like that the reconstructions of their star dinosaurs have the actual bones laid next to them as found.)

Concavenator

Can someone post pics of the new Safari catalogue?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on March 02, 2016, 05:30:19 AM
Just saw all the new sculpts today at the gift shop of the New Mexico Natural History Museum in Albuqurque, and I must say, they are all beautiful sculpts. (Also, that is one of the best museums I've been to in a while! They've got a great layout, and I like that the reconstructions of their star dinosaurs have the actual bones laid next to them as found.)
Is that where Seismosaurus....oops I mean the Diplodocus that was Seismosaurus is mounted at?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 27, 2016, 09:52:58 PM
I just got my new order a catalog Safari 2016 and I have to report that the toob Cambrian and tube prehistoric crocodiles have been discontinued this year. No longer will do.

The Cambrian toob I can understand, given that they probably were not as appealing to the public as to prehistoric creature collectors, but the Crocs, too?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 02, 2016, 10:36:14 AM
I just got my new order a catalog Safari 2016 and I have to report that the toob Cambrian and tube prehistoric crocodiles have been discontinued this year. No longer will do.

The Cambrian toob I can understand, given that they probably were not as appealing to the public as to prehistoric creature collectors, but the Crocs, too?

Unfortunately it has definitely discontinued. For example Pristichampsus, rutiodon and Dakosaurus were fabulous. What a shame that is.
On the other hand

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 02, 2016, 07:45:20 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on March 02, 2016, 05:30:19 AM
Is that where Seismosaurus....oops I mean the Diplodocus that was Seismosaurus is mounted at?

Yep! Though the info plate at the museum still reads Seismosaurus.

Shonisaurus

I just received the Iguanodon, Postosuchus, Shunosaurus Carcharodontosaurus and Safari (the Masiakasaurus is another way shipping).

Can say that the figures except plesiosuchus regarding texture are figures from imho lower quality texture is too rough.

I fear that they will suffer abrasions as the velociraptor of the factory. Needless to say, these figures are outstanding, but said the material that make these figures has changed, unfortunately for the worse.

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 02, 2016, 10:36:14 AM

I seem to remember when the Crocs toob came out that many people decided they wouldn't buy it, often for reasons like 'one of them isn't sculpted perfectly' (Desmatosuchus...not gonna lie), or 'I'd rather have a ________ toob' (common ones were amphibians, pterosaurs, other dino sets, and prehistoric reptiles). The quesiton then becomes--how many people on the forum do not have the Crocs or Cambrian toob? It is a real question--because the Cambrian toob is the last new prehistoric toob that Safari made, 3 or 4(I think?) years ago. If the dedicated collectors can't even be counted on to buy the more obscure toobs right away and then maintain that market, Safari wouldn't make more--and it may imapct the effect of collector input. Or, again, impact the dreams of future runs of more unique toob sets--again, the likes of which we've gone without for years).

CityRaptor

Didn't know that the Toob was so unpopular here.

So in other words, we should buy more of the prehistoric toobs. Although I will avoid both, the Prehistoric Mammal Skull Toob and the Preshistoric Life Toob....
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 04, 2016, 02:47:22 PM
Didn't know that the Toob was so unpopular here.

So in other words, we should buy more of the prehistoric toobs. Although I will avoid both, the Prehistoric Mammal Skull Toob and the Preshistoric Life Toob....

There are always detractors for anything, that's how it is. But yeah, the only way to show support to product types or companies is to buy them--all the compliments and promises to make future purchases doesn't do anything for a company's bottom line or market analysis.

It sounds cynical, but it's not--why should they make more of something if it isn't selling as well as others? It rarely means they will go back and 'try again' to please the people who weren't perfectly happy the first time--they will keep doing what worked.

CityRaptor

Hence why people vote with their wallet.
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 04, 2016, 05:34:39 PM

but what I'm saying is that sometimes that can backfire--if Safari decided to take a chance with a couple of more obscure prehistoric toobs, but people didn't buy them because they weren't exactly what they wanted, then all Safari knows is that more-obscure prehistoric toobs don't sell, so they stop doing that.

The good news is that the marine sets (sharks and prehistoric marine) have moved into bulk-bag lines, so those must sell well; with any luck, that means that aquatic vertebrates at least work for them! Here's hoping for paleozoic-mesozoic fishes!

terrorchicken

I have all their prehistoric toobs. Ill admit that I wasnt so keen at first on buying the Cambrian set. I thought it had too many trilobites and wondered why they left out opabinia and hallucigenia and some other more interesting looking Cambrian critters...eventually saw it was on sale at Micheals and I got it.

and Ive said this before but if they wont make new prehistoric toobs, they could at least update the figures in some of their old dinosaur ones.

SBell

Quote from: terrorchicken on March 04, 2016, 09:22:20 PM
I have all their prehistoric toobs. Ill admit that I wasnt so keen at first on buying the Cambrian set. I thought it had too many trilobites and wondered why they left out opabinia and hallucigenia and some other more interesting looking Cambrian critters...eventually saw it was on sale at Micheals and I got it.

and Ive said this before but if they wont make new prehistoric toobs, they could at least update the figures in some of their old dinosaur ones.

It's the same problem--years ago I mentioned to 'someone' there that they needed an update; the response was that they were still selling so well that they couldn't justify the overhaul.

CityRaptor

So in other words, there needs to be a balance in sales.
Too bad = discontinued
Too good = no update
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 05, 2016, 08:06:31 AM
So in other words, there needs to be a balance in sales.
Too bad = discontinued
Too good = no update

Pretty much, yeah.

CityRaptor

Well, this is a challenge.  So far I own the Dinos Toob, the Dino Mega Toob ( with some of the animals in different colors ) and Sue & her friends....( got the first two for cheap and the last for free ).
Oh no

terrorchicken

Quote from: SBell on March 05, 2016, 12:36:57 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on March 04, 2016, 09:22:20 PM

It's the same problem--years ago I mentioned to 'someone' there that they needed an update; the response was that they were still selling so well that they couldn't justify the overhaul.

the justification for an overhaul would be that they are supposed to be educational and are representing outmoded views of dinosaurs...but yeah I know...money...sigh.  ::)

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on March 04, 2016, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on March 04, 2016, 05:34:39 PM
but what I'm saying is that sometimes that can backfire--if Safari decided to take a chance with a couple of more obscure prehistoric toobs, but people didn't buy them because they weren't exactly what they wanted, then all Safari knows is that more-obscure prehistoric toobs don't sell, so they stop doing that.

In that sense, I suppose the perfect is the enemy of the good. We collectors are a pretty small part of the overall market, but make the most difficult demands--I'm surprised anyone goes to the trouble of trying to court our dollars at all. I've bought the majority of the Toobs, but I'll admit I haven't bought the Cambrian one because I only collect chordates and stem-chordates. But I suppose that if I bought it, it might increase by some tiny fraction the marginal probability that they might one day make, say, a Devonian toob. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I've only bought 5 of their toobs, because the others just don't fit the idiosyncratic parameters of my own collection.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: