News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dan's Dinosaurs [ DTF Exclusive Offers ]

Started by Dan, March 13, 2012, 10:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorgonzola

I got my kit in the mail last night, and I gotta say, it's really fantastic.  If any of you have ever bought one of Krentz's recent kits, you know how near perfect the fittings can be with his resin casts because of the 3D master print, and this is the same, barring a minute amount of flashing from the pour veins (which can be fixed with some light filing on my end.)  The rest of the model is impeccable.

I'm actually sad I'm giving up my copy, but I promised it to an old mentor of mine as a thank you!  I'm going to get some photos and maybe even a little video of it before I send it off though.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's good to hear about the quality.   I'm sure your mentor will love it and you can always get another now. ;)

Dan

Now Available

Deinotherium Resin Kit
Sculpted by Lu Feng Shan

Exclusive No. 6
"Monarch" Tyrannosaurus
Sculpted by Andrew Sides

Blade-of-the-Moon

Are you planning to carry Lu Feng Shan's new Triceratops as well Dan ?

Dan

Yep, I'm always happy to offer a new piece as soon as the artist is ready.

Thanks for the support, everyone. This 3D printing to resin casting collaboration worked out very nicely with Andrew Sides; as you can see, we're both quite pleased with the results. The final piece shows all of the artist's hard work in detailing the model, which would have been lost in a lower quality Shapeways printing. Big thanks to Andrew for all his hard work!

Plenty of other goodies coming down the line. I recently received some top-secret news that would have everyone screaming, though it will be a while before it's publicly announced. I also need to find out who would support a collaborative project with Dan's Dinosaurs and Manuel Bejarano.

tyrantqueen

QuotePlenty of other goodies coming down the line. I recently received some top-secret news that would have everyone screaming, though it will be a while before it's publicly announced. I also need to find out who would support a collaborative project with Dan's Dinosaurs and Manuel Bejarano.
Why must you torture us so? >:D ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dan on January 20, 2014, 06:55:41 PM
Yep, I'm always happy to offer a new piece as soon as the artist is ready.

Thanks for the support, everyone. This 3D printing to resin casting collaboration worked out very nicely with Andrew Sides; as you can see, we're both quite pleased with the results. The final piece shows all of the artist's hard work in detailing the model, which would have been lost in a lower quality Shapeways printing. Big thanks to Andrew for all his hard work!

Plenty of other goodies coming down the line. I recently received some top-secret news that would have everyone screaming, though it will be a while before it's publicly announced. I also need to find out who would support a collaborative project with Dan's Dinosaurs and Manuel Bejarano.

Cool. Seems he's working on hadrosaurs as well now .

Hmm..I'd say you won't have much trouble finding support for his work. ;)

tyrantqueen

Does anyone know what scale the Munive Saurophaganax kit is supposed to be in? I'm interested a 1/20 sculpt of a Saurophaganax for my new collection. If it's not 1/20, would the Shane Foulkes 1/15 Allosaurus work as a Sauro? Thanks :)

Concavenator

Actually,I think Saurophaganax is one of the coolest dinosaurs out there.Looking forward to the CollectA figure  :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on January 24, 2014, 08:36:18 PM
Actually,I think Saurophaganax is one of the coolest dinosaurs out there.Looking forward to the CollectA figure  :)
No offense, but that doesn't answer my question.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 24, 2014, 06:00:01 PM
Does anyone know what scale the Munive Saurophaganax kit is supposed to be in? I'm interested a 1/20 sculpt of a Saurophaganax for my new collection. If it's not 1/20, would the Shane Foulkes 1/15 Allosaurus work as a Sauro? Thanks :)

Using the scale calculator here : http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm

I used 43' as the max size Sauros are estimated to be. Looks like it comes to about 3.8" less that it should be for that size at 1:20 .  However I think it's acceptable as 1:20 for the basic size not the extreme. 

Shane's Allo is a pretty typical A. Fragilis from what I can tell..very robust..but the head of Saurophaganax though allosaur based is a bit narrower and pointed in the front of the skull.  I'd say someone like Martin could alter it to give one though.

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 24, 2014, 11:14:22 PM

I used 43' as the max size Sauros are estimated to be. Looks like it comes to about 3.8" less that it should be for that size at 1:20 .  However I think it's acceptable as 1:20 for the basic size not the extreme. 

Shane's Allo is a pretty typical A. Fragilis from what I can tell..very robust..but the head of Saurophaganax though allosaur based is a bit narrower and pointed in the front of the skull.  I'd say someone like Martin could alter it to give one though.

Im having a hard time figuring this calculator out

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on January 24, 2014, 11:24:44 PM

Using inches if in the U.S. ,  type in the scale you want , enter the number of inches the life size piece has and it will tell you the number of inches for that scale. 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2014, 08:01:22 AM

Using inches if in the U.S. ,  type in the scale you want , enter the number of inches the life size piece has and it will tell you the number of inches for that scale.
Thanks for the help. Do you have any skeletals or information I could look at to see for myself?

Blade-of-the-Moon

There isn't much to go on, I pulled the size estimates from Wiki . It seems most use Allosaurus's skeletal with or without modifications when discussing it.  Like these :

This Saurophaganax skeletal is a Big Al skeletal with UUVP 6000's head, which makes the head more robust. The artist did that because based on what they've seen, large predatory theropods usually have more robust heads than smaller relatives(Daspletosaurus and Tyrannosaurus, Suchomimus and Spinosaurus, etc.)

This is one of the very few actual mounts I could find and it seems to borrow heavily from Allosaurus :

Takama

So If I want to figure the Scale of say, a T-Rex model. I type in 540 inches (Which is 45 feet, correct me if wrong) I chose a scale, then It will show how big the scale model is?

radman

Haha, for kicks I tried to go the scale calculator site at jbwid.com, but my monitoring software wouldn't allow it (it blocks malicious and adult sites, we have kids ::))  Anyway, proceed with caution.  Calculating scales is not difficult in any case, it's basic math after all.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on January 25, 2014, 05:59:32 PM

So If I want to figure the Scale of say, a T-Rex model. I type in 540 inches (Which is 45 feet, correct me if wrong) I chose a scale, then It will show how big the scale model is?

Yep.  Entering in the info you listed, setting it for 1:20 gives us 27" sounds right to me.

Simon

Gorgonzola, this Trex is the best 1/40 Trex I have yet seen. 
kudos!!

tyrantqueen

Okay, I admit to being very bad at mathematics. I'm still trying to figure this out. How can I work out the size of, say, a Diabloceratops, in 1/20 scale?
How do sculptors in general work out the scale of dinosaurs? What is the formula that is used?

I tried using the scale calculator but it went over my head :-[

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: