You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

Fenestra

Wow! That looks absolutely amazing!
I can only imagine how happy you are with this piece.
Martin did an incredible job on both the base and animal.
Congratulations!

SidB

Ceratopsian, a word about your Utahraptor that stubbornly refuses to stand. I had heard that it was designed to be standing upon and grappling the Battat Maiasaura. I tried this with mine, and sure enough, they fit perfectly in this position. A good deal for the former at the latter's expense!

Halichoeres

Wonderful Achelousaurus model! I share your intuition about her preferring a bit of cover.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Thank you. That's an interesting observation. If I ever manage to acquire the Maiasaura, I will experiment!  On a similar theme, my Battat Terra Tyrannosaurus manages to stand only with the assistance of an obliging (Carnegie) Triceratops. Though in this case of course it was meant to stand alone. I must admit that it is difficult to envisage how the Utahraptor would ever be able to stand alone. It doesn't look physically possible.

Quote from: SidB on January 06, 2018, 08:44:37 PM
Ceratopsian, a word about your Utahraptor that stubbornly refuses to stand. I had heard that it was designed to be standing upon and grappling the Battat Maiasaura. I tried this with mine, and sure enough, they fit perfectly in this position. A good deal for the former at the latter's expense!

Shonisaurus

Ceraptosian your achelosaurus is the best I've seen so far in figure. I do not know if there is another similar figure in the market of PVC or vinyl figures but that achelosaurus looks great, it's awesome.

My sincere congratulations for that great figure.  :)

ceratopsian

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 06, 2018, 10:58:12 PM
Wonderful Achelousaurus model! I share your intuition about her preferring a bit of cover.

Thank you.  The other thing that struck me yesterday was how much I liked the way Martin had made her eyes so very alert looking.  She's resting but still on the lookout for danger.  I thought this a well-observed touch by Martin.

Thank you too Shonisaurus, Fenestra and Joey for your comments.

Jose S.M.

Wow that base looks gorgeous, it's so detailed. The dinosaur looks amazing too and I like the frill coloration, kind of simple but attractive at the same time, very adequate to its display purpose in a realistic way.

acro-man

Nice cabinet, looks swell.
I have a shelf sitting in the corner with very poor lighting, and I never got a clear photo of it.
And I have to downsize my collecting considering some time I will be moving.

Lu Feng Shan's model of Achelousaurus is a true masterpiece of art.
That sense of calm and peace, while typical among his works, surpasses his previous ones this time.
Fantastic
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

ceratopsian

Thank you acro-man.  You are right to pick out the feeling of peace in Lu Feng Shan's model.

Downsizing will be hard, I'm sure.  Moving home with a collection isn't easy!

Quote from: acro-man on January 11, 2018, 11:29:42 AM
Nice cabinet, looks swell.
I have a shelf sitting in the corner with very poor lighting, and I never got a clear photo of it.
And I have to downsize my collecting considering some time I will be moving.

Lu Feng Shan's model of Achelousaurus is a true masterpiece of art.
That sense of calm and peace, while typical among his works, surpasses his previous ones this time.
Fantastic

Bokisaurus

Nice figure. And I really love your display cabinets, wish I had room for something like that.

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 06, 2018, 10:39:03 AM
On Wednesday morning, the postman brought another large box from Martin Garratt's studio.  Before Christmas, I'd purchased Lu Feng Shan's model of Achelousaurus and had it sent direct to Martin. .......

She (she must be a she) is soo adorable! All of Martin's works are beautiful, but every now and then he puts out a true masterpiece. This is one of them.
Congratulations for getting such a well arranged, beautifully painted piece. It seems to be perfect in every way.

Hmmm ... I think of getting the Achelousaurus too, Shan's models are pricey but also of irresistible esthetic beauty.

I'd love to see a side by side shot with your Rubeosaurus :).

ceratopsian

Thank you, postsaurischian. I completely agree with you, Martin was especially inspired for this model. And yes, it wasn't cheap. Photographing both together - I am not sure if I can manage this technically. Side by side they are quite wide and I don't think I can get far enough away from my photography/study table. But let me give it some thought.

ceratopsian

Today's offerings: first of all, a snap of the palaeontology section of my bookcases.  Not everything dinosaur or palaeoart related is here - a couple of books are too big and some are wandering!

Two small packages arrived to swell my new venture into the Permian.  First the Wild Safari Inostrancevia.  I ordered this from Germany, as I couldn't find one in the UK.  The cardboard box got soaked somewhere along the line and began to disintegrate.  It was rescued by the Post Office, who stuffed what survived into a plastic bag.  The model was fine, as it was still in its Safari original sealed plastic bag.  So a lucky escape.

And the pareiasaur Scutosaurus.

ceratopsian

Postsaurischian - I had a go at side-by-side photos of Shan's Achelousaurus and Rubeosaurus.  Here's the results:

paintingdinos

Absolutely lovely. Excellent paint application of course, but the scenes that have been set up for them really add to the peaceful beauty of these sculpts.

I'm jealous!

postsaurischian

:D Excellent! Thanks for showing them. What a beautiful pair and wonderful scenery!
      Dinosaur art at its best!!!

Reptilia

I wish I had 1/3 of the paleobooks you got, still a long way to go for me to build a decent library.

Libraraptor

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: