News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Quote from: suspsy on December 08, 2016, 06:51:58 PM
Getting back to actual Safari discussion, I sure hope the T. rex and the Velociraptor become available at the regular dinosaur toy venues soon. This waiting is most frustrating.

Exactly.

Im waiting for Everything dinosaur to get the new safaris so I can order the Tyrannosaurus rex.

C´mon retailers, do you job! ;D

Appalachiosaurus

I don't see why we can't go a little off topic sometimes, it is better than just posting "I can't wait" over and over again.

suspsy

Quote from: MLMjp on December 08, 2016, 06:57:25 PM
Getting back to actual Safari discussion, I sure hope the T. rex and the Velociraptor become available at the regular dinosaur toy venues soon. This waiting is most frustrating.

Exactly.

Im waiting for Everything dinosaur to get the new safaris so I can order the Tyrannosaurus rex.

It's especially annoying how the three most popular figures: T. rex, Velociraptor, and Giganotosaurus, are the ones that are delayed. Cruel, cruel torture!

Me, I've decided to pass on the Diplodocus and the Kronosaurus. The former doesn't do anything for me and I like the CollectA version of the latter better. Also, lack of space means fewer big toys. Indeed, I'll probably hold off on the Giganotosaurus until I see images or a good review.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Verahin

Agree on the Kronosaurus, it was one I was pretty excited when the black silhouettes came out, but then probably the biggest let down of the whole line up when images were revealed. Luckily Collecta came up with a superb rendition just few weeks later.

Seems like the raptor is already available in the US, I'm impatient to see close up pictures of it.

Neosodon

I usually get my dinosaurs from The Dinosaur Farm but it takes so long for the new releases to arrive that this year I just waited till the fall and ordered the 2016 realeases after the diorama contest. They still have 2016 models up for pre-order so I doubt I'll be getting 2017 models anytime soon. Its better to get them all at once to save on shipping cost. Sometimes it's just best to be patient. O:-)

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Takama

Everything except the T.Rex and Psitaccosaurus is available from Dejankins

http://www.dejankins.com/wild-safari/

John

To me,the Safari Ltd. Kronosaurus is better than the CollectA one.It's overall a bit more crisp and professionally done,and it not having a movable jaw is a big plus for me as well.And geographically speaking,with no U.S. distributor for CollectA outside their horse line right now,the Safari one is worlds cheaper for me to get when you account for shipping costs... :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on December 08, 2016, 07:07:12 PM

Exactly.

It's especially annoying how the three most popular figures: T. rex, Velociraptor, and Giganotosaurus, are the ones that are delayed. Cruel, cruel torture!

Me, I've decided to pass on the Diplodocus and the Kronosaurus. The former doesn't do anything for me and I like the CollectA version of the latter better. Also, lack of space means fewer big toys. Indeed, I'll probably hold off on the Giganotosaurus until I see images or a good review.

I would say the Diplodocus is the cream of the crop. It would be near impossible to find a more graceful model of Diplodocus for $20, unless sauropods are really not your thing (I would imagine lack of space may be a contributing factor). I am withholding my comments about the Kronosaurus. It almost looks CGI photoshopped. Very curious to see what the model looks like in real life.

I have the T-rex and it is one of my favorite models of all time!

tanystropheus

Quote from: John on December 09, 2016, 12:24:47 AM
To me,the Safari Ltd. Kronosaurus is better than the CollectA one.It's overall a bit more crisp and professionally done,and it not having a movable jaw is a big plus for me as well.And geographically speaking,with no U.S. distributor for CollectA outside their horse line right now,the Safari one is worlds cheaper for me to get when you account for shipping costs... :)

Based on the released pictures, I concur with your assessment. However, I am still curious about the final product. I hope someone posts pictures!

Verahin

Based on the stock photos the Safari one looks a bit cartoony, while Collecta's a lot more naturalistic, from my point of view.

Only minus for the Collecta version is the colour, a blue tone with a white shade on the underside would have been better for my taste.

As for the movable jaw, I'm a big fan of such feature, and I was eagerly awaiting for a marine reptile with articulation to be produced. I hope we'll get a mosasaur as well in the future, from whatever brand. Maybe Rebor...?

Killekor

Quote from: Verahin on December 09, 2016, 01:02:26 AM
Based on the stock photos the Safari one looks a bit cartoony, while Collecta's a lot more naturalistic, from my point of view.

Only minus for the Collecta version is the colour, a blue tone with a white shade on the underside would have been better for my taste.

As for the movable jaw, I'm a big fan of such feature, and I was eagerly awaiting for a marine reptile with articulation to be produced. I hope we'll get a mosasaur as well in the future, from whatever brand. Maybe Rebor...?

Oh! Good, finally another user that think that this Kronosaurus is a "cartoon".

Predasaurskillekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 09, 2016, 12:36:40 AM
Quote from: John on December 09, 2016, 12:24:47 AM

Based on the released pictures, I concur with your assessment. However, I am still curious about the final product. I hope someone posts pictures!
There is one in a crowd of other new Safari dinosaurs and modern animals in one of the pictures earlier in this thread,but I too would like to see more pictures of it,along with all of the rest too. :)

I remember when I was younger,when even finding any dinosaur at all was hard to do,and now there are multiple lines out there now readily available,now to the point of there being TWO Kronosaurus to choose from at the same time.Right now is really the "good ol' days". :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Predasaurskillekor on December 09, 2016, 01:13:34 AM

Oh! Good, finally another user that think that this Kronosaurus is a "cartoon".

Predasaurskillekor

The kronosaurus Safari is not a bad figure from my point of view, I do not seem caricatured but quite the opposite. The truth and truth is that this figure with its blue and white brindle colors may not appeal to many people, but the modeling is precious. Of course it is not a kronosaurus of "cartoons" properly said that is not fair with respect to that figure to me it seems phenomenal and an artistic work, that very similar to the missing kronosaurus of Safari.

On the other hand Collecta's kronosaurus must recognize that its colors are duller and perhaps more realistic and what is said, many people like the mobile jaws in dinosaurs and prehistoric animals. I do not like it for the reasons I said a few days ago but it is related to each personal taste and with each point of view that each person has on that figure.

The two kronosaurus both Collecta and Safari are exceptional, the first with articulated jaws and the second without them, but what has said every dinosaur toy company has its own philosophy as to the realization of their figures. Regardless of how fascinating I am with Safari figures, I recognize that collecta this year are great figures Collecta has not lowered the bar, but that is due to the lack of number of figures and that frankly Safari has improved both Geometrically as arithmetically his figures in general from my personal viewpoint this year is by far the one of Safari.

Although I want to break a spear in favor of Collecta's kronosaurus its figure is one of the best on the market and it is also worth noting that it is the undisputed leader in the making of prehistoric mammals at a great distance from the rest of the other companies .

Its uintatherium and its basilosaurus are two figures apart from avant-garde (in relation to the novelty in relation to the realization of said figures) also in regards to its modeling that is the best that has been done although that is within the forum Of Collecta 2017

stargatedalek

I prefer the Safari Kronosaurus. It has a much smoother and more cetacean-like appearance, whereas CollectA's is more reptilian.

tanystropheus

To put things in perspective, let us compare the WS Kronosaurus with the Carnegie Kronosaurus. It is an exponential improvement in quality.

http://dinotoyblog.com/2008/08/13/kronosaurus-carnegie-collection-by-safari-ltd/

I decided to take another look at the CollectA Kronosaurus -I actually quite like it, but the color choice is peculiar.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 09, 2016, 12:35:12 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 08, 2016, 07:07:12 PM

Exactly.

I would say the Diplodocus is the cream of the crop. It would be near impossible to find a more graceful model of Diplodocus for $20, unless sauropods are really not your thing (I would imagine lack of space may be a contributing factor).

Yeeeeeah, that's precisely why I mentioned lack of space earlier. :P

I already have the Carnegie and the CollectA Diplodocus. If I ever do get a third one, it'll the Battat reissue. That is assuming, of course, that God performs a Christmas miracle and prompts Battat to release the damn thing already, along with all the other ones they're apparently just sitting on.

QuoteI am withholding my comments about the Kronosaurus. It almost looks CGI photoshopped. Very curious to see what the model looks like in real life.

All of the upcoming figures from CollectA are bound to look slightly different from their promotional photos, as has proven to be the case with the WS ones. Don't know what you mean by "CGI photoshopped" though. I like the CollectA Kronosaurus better because it's beefier and more powerful-looking than the WS, with a stouter skull and a fluke at the end of the tail. And the brown and orange colour scheme is a most welcome change from all these pliosaurs that are aping the giant Liopleurodon from WWD.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I think the WS one is probably bulkier, it just smooths it out rather than having the muscles bulge through (the main complaint I have with all of CollectA's marine reptiles).

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 09, 2016, 01:44:47 AM
I prefer the Safari Kronosaurus. It has a much smoother and more cetacean-like appearance, whereas CollectA's is more reptilian.

Okay, now I am confused. Is the Kronosaurus supposed to look more cetacean or reptilian?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: