News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Big sauropods, as much as we love them, can be tough for retailers. I remember being a kid yearning for the original Carnegie Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus,but was always turned down by my parents due to the cost and size. I imagine most parents are similarly reluctant to purchase larger toys.

dinoMD

Quote from: Neosodon on December 13, 2016, 02:08:26 AM
Quote from: Simon on December 13, 2016, 01:31:18 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 12, 2016, 09:52:39 PM
The Diplodocus is picture perfect, but the model is rather smallish (kind of like the Papo Apatosaurus). Length wise it is very good, but there's hardly any girth at all (a lot flatter than the Papo Apato). Also, you can literally comb your hair with the dorsal spines running down its back (it's made of high quality materials). The paint finish is superb. It has anatomically correct feet, in case you guys are wondering.

This "smallishness" is an almost universal problem with mass-produced PVC sauropods, probably due to costs of production and problems with retail shelf space.
Carnegie used to make decent xl saurapods and collecta has a couple but they aren't that great and they are all kind of old. Maybe they have just gone out of style since people just don't want to invest the money and space for them. But I think there is enough demand that we will see a new 2 foot long sauropod sometime in the next 10 years.

Now if you want a giant sauropod figure for under $100, consider the PNSO Huanghetitan.

That said, I love the new safari diplodocus.

John

The Diplodocus is picture perfect, but the model is rather smallish (kind of like the Papo Apatosaurus). Length wise it is very good, but there's hardly any girth at all (a lot flatter than the Papo Apato). Also, you can literally comb your hair with the dorsal spines running down its back (it's made of high quality materials). The paint finish is superb. It has anatomically correct feet, in case you guys are wondering.
Yes,actually,I was wondering about that.Thanks for letting us know.Also,the prototype pics show nails painted in on the last two digits on the hind feet in addition to the three large claws on the first three.Is this the case in the production model?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

This "smallishness" is an almost universal problem with mass-produced PVC sauropods, probably due to costs of production and problems with retail shelf space.
Carnegie used to make decent xl saurapods and collecta has a couple but they aren't that great and they are all kind of old. Maybe they have just gone out of style since people just don't want to invest the money and space for them. But I think there is enough demand that we will see a new 2 foot long sauropod sometime in the next 10 years.

I agree that most companies probably don't regard the large sauropods as cost effective, which i probably why we haven't seen many since the glory days of Carnegie. I've made my peace with that though, and at least have managed to collect the figures of all the big Morrison sauropods. (They can easily stand in for many other species. I don't particularly care if somebody ever makes a Sauroposeidon, for example. I just use my Brachiosaurus.) I just really really wish that SOMEBODY would make just one large 1:40 scale titanosaur. That's the one glaring representative gap in my sauropod collection.

Simon

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 13, 2016, 05:24:11 AM

I agree that most companies probably don't regard the large sauropods as cost effective, which i probably why we haven't seen many since the glory days of Carnegie. I've made my peace with that though, and at least have managed to collect the figures of all the big Morrison sauropods. (They can easily stand in for many other species. I don't particularly care if somebody ever makes a Sauroposeidon, for example. I just use my Brachiosaurus.) I just really really wish that SOMEBODY would make just one large 1:40 scale titanosaur. That's the one glaring representative gap in my sauropod collection.

*SOMEONE* has done so.

PNSO

Huyanghetitan.  If you display it alongside other 1:40 scale figures it makes it look Argentinosaurus-sized. It works.

Verahin

Einiosaurus reviewed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA0B3wF1-Ek

Looking forward to see T-Rex and Velociraptor too.

Takama

Real life Photo of the Giganotosaurus VIA Facebook

This guy is Huge.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on December 14, 2016, 05:04:14 AM

This guy is Huge.

..and easily the best made of that group..lol

Killekor

Quote from: Verahin on December 14, 2016, 04:13:09 AM
Einiosaurus reviewed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA0B3wF1-Ek

Looking forward to see T-Rex and Velociraptor too.

Wow! I've changed idea about the Einiosaurus! I WANT IT!!!!!

This guy is Huge.

Oh! Finally a pic of the Giganotosaurus! I WANT IT TOO!!!!!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

EmperorDinobot

Wow. They have really outdone themselves.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 14, 2016, 05:29:43 AM

This guy is Huge.

..and easily the best made of that group..lol

We apologize for being heavy and repetitive, but both the giganotosaurus and the feathered tyrannosaurus rex show that you can make the best figures without the need for articulated jaws and detachable bases (this last detail with respect to giganotosaurus)

CityRaptor

You mean that has to do with the lack of articulated jaws as opposed to this being a good figure while Schleich Giga is a bad figure that is neither correct nor visually pleasing? Basically the Safari Giga is the good, while the Schleich Giga is both, the bad and the ugly.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 14, 2016, 05:00:30 PM
You mean that has to do with the lack of articulated jaws as opposed to this being a good figure while Schleich Giga is a bad figure that is neither correct nor visually pleasing? Basically the Safari Giga is the good, while the Schleich Giga is both, the bad and the ugly.

In this case of course, although the giganotosaurus schleich did not have articulated jaws and was the largest theropod made in the toy market and then put into a smaller and outdated version soon after and you can already guess what I mean Schleich

dinoMD

Can't understand why Schleich is even in the conversation...they don't deserve to be.  They're not far removed from the Jurassic world products (what's scientific accuracy??). 

Shonisaurus

I apologize for my part, I know that nothing has to do with Schleich in this forum and I know that all comparisons are odious, with all due respect to the Safari company that if they are scientifically accurate with all due respect does not deserve to comment with respect to The company of Lego, for that is another thread.

I simply wanted to reflect on my part the comparison between an excellent company in the production of excellent prehistoric animals that is the company Safari (in this case compared the figure of giganotosaurus) with that of a company that precisely unfortunately not up to the height of Circumstances with all due respect and that company is that of Schleich.

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 12, 2016, 09:48:19 PM
The color scheme looks more appropriate on the Deinocheirus than the Shunosaurus. The Shunosaurus looks a bit rabid.

I think the big problem with the Shunosaurus is how badly the teeth on the toy version are painted, or rather not painted.

I actually think the colour scheme works much better on the Shunosaurus than the Deinocheirus.  I didn't like it much on the Shunosaurus, and I was very excited for the Deinocheirus before it was fully revealed.  When I saw the Deinocheirus's colour scheme, the excitement I had for it ended abruptly.  It's not just how similar its colour scheme looks to another Wild Safari (the Shunosaurus), it's also that I actually dislike that colour scheme on Deinocheirus.  I think the Shunosaurus's colour scheme looks fine, I'm just not a big fan of it.  The Deinocheirus's colour scheme just doesn't work for me though.  I find the colouration of its head clashes with itself and the colouration on the rest of the Deinocheirus, and I find its colouration overall looks too light considering the number of different colours used on it.  Its colour scheme being so similar to the Shunosaurus's just makes it more disappointing.

There's a lot of figures and its difficult to differentiate so many models by colors.

It might not be easy to create a colour scheme for a prehistoric animal.  I don't see that as an explanation for using lots of very similar colour schemes though, due to the great diversity in colour schemes among extant animals, and since in palaeoart so many diverse and interesting colour schemes have been given to prehistoric animals.  So there's plenty of very different colour schemes to be inspired by.

I think there is some variety in these yellow-brown colour schemes of the 2016 and 2017 prehistoric Wild Safari figures, but this variety is almost entirely lost for two reasons:

1. These yellow-brown colourations have been used a lot, to the point I find they become overwhelming.  In both the 2016 and 2017 prehistoric Wild Safaris, more than half have these yellow-brown colour schemes.

2. Most of these yellow-brown figures have a colour scheme that is very similar to one (or more) of the others, e.g.:  The Coelophysis's colour scheme to the Quetzalcoatlus's, the Deinocheirus's to the Shunosaurus's, and while the colour schemes of the Psittacosaurus and Plesiosuchus look relatively different to each other, they both look very similar to the Tylosaurus's.

If the number of these 2016 and 2017 figures with these yellow-brown colourations was more or less halved, and there was no repetition of very similar colourations (what I was describing in point 2), I don't think it would have bothered me.  Since that would mean there would still be a lot of these yellow-brown figures, but I don't think it would be (so) overwhelming, and I think the interesting and different aspects of their colourations could be appreciated more since there wouldn't be another with an incredibly similar colouration.

Its great that they are no longer focusing on lime greens, especially since Safari Ltd. went through a lime green phase at one point.

It seems Safari is going through a yellow-brown phase now. :)

I recognise that what I've said is my opinion.  I'm glad there are people who don't find the recent Wild Safari colourations a problem like I've expressed, as it means they can really enjoy the figures.  I'm especially referring to the Deinocheirus here, as it's overall an excellent figure.  Its colouration is the only problem I have with it and why I don't think I will get it.  But if someone doesn't mind its colouration, or even likes its colouration, I can imagine how pleasing the WS Deinocheirus can be.

japfeif

Quote from: Takama on December 09, 2016, 12:11:54 AM
Everything except the T.Rex and Psitaccosaurus is available from Dejankins

http://www.dejankins.com/wild-safari/

Yep, Dean has the Psitto in as well now. I just ordered all the 2017s a couple days back (except the feathered T.rex, which I got off Amazon and it arrived today! ), the other 12 should be here in a day or so.

Sim

Diplodocus has less girth than Apatosaurus, as can be seen in this photo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplodocid#/media/File:Dinosaurs_in_Their_Time-_Jurassic_Era_Room_(2705542612).jpg

Have you combed your hair with the Wild Safari Diplodocus?

suchomimus

Quote from: Sim on December 15, 2016, 05:59:47 AM

Diplodocus has less girth than Apatosaurus, as can be seen in this photo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplodocid#/media/File:Dinosaurs_in_Their_Time-_Jurassic_Era_Room_(2705542612).jpg

Have you combed your hair with the Wild Safari Diplodocus?

I must add that it does appear rather slim and long, rather true to Sim's pic, having seen it in person. And its head is really tiny :o Grats Singaporeans you can find them in NUS's Museum!

Yes, that's the Krono next to it for comparison. Didn't manage to snap the feathered rex tho, it's such a beauty as well. And somewhat large too.

I've added more pics of the feathered raptor as well here.
(not a double post)

It's really beautiful!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: