News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Oh my, this is so stupid from Schleich. As if removing the images could recreate any hype for the new figures. Everyone have seen them, there are videos on YouTube commenting on the new stuff, so it really is a pointless thing to do. Yes Takama, it'd be great if you could find a way to reupload the pictures, they are public by now and there's no point in hiding them as if they're some sort of secret.

Takama

Restored the images.    If Dr Admin says to take them down, then i will. 

Reptilia

Thanks Takama.

Appalachiosaurus

Honestly, I'm pretty blown away by the sudden spike in quality for these new figures compared to just last year. In one year the number of Schleich models actually worth owning has doubled, if that isn't deserving of a "most improved" reward I don't know what does.

Shonisaurus

And I think this is just the beginning. Soon Schleich will rise to the same level as Safari, Collecta, Papo, PNSO or Favorite I at least have my full hopes with the beauties of figures that have brought us this year.

In the toy market world there is no small toy company (if they wear the monkey to work) as there is no soccer team the small world metaphorically speaking.

CMIPalaeo

Wow, the Carnotaurus is unbelievably weird-looking. On the other hand, if the Dinogorgon and Psittacosaurus stay looking like those images, Schleich will have really outdone themselves on prehistoric creature quality. Those are both... QUITE good looking! Tawa isn't too bad either.

(Also, wow, I've been away from here for a very long time.)
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

What's with the praise of the dinogorgon? It seems too shrink-wrapped and awesomebro to me, more mammalian than what I would have expected, but still just a tad too reptilian. I don't get it.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

stargatedalek

Quote from: The Expeditioner's Discovery Guild (PainterRex) on September 07, 2017, 12:25:27 AM
What's with the praise of the dinogorgon? It seems too shrink-wrapped and awesomebro to me, more mammalian than what I would have expected, but still just a tad too reptilian. I don't get it.
It isn't accurate but it's still a huge improvement stylistically.

Faelrin

Honestly I'm just happy with the fact there is (or will be) another gorgonopsid figure on the market, and with a color choice I find pleasing. At least that's why I like it. Of course I still have to see reviews of the thing first before I get it, in case it does turn out disappointing for any reason.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 02, 2017, 11:09:13 PM
And I think this is just the beginning. Soon Schleich will rise to the same level as Safari, Collecta, Papo, PNSO or Favorite I at least have my full hopes with the beauties of figures that have brought us this year.

In the toy market world there is no small toy company (if they wear the monkey to work) as there is no soccer team the small world metaphorically speaking.

Dont get your hopes to high, we are talking about Schleich here, they are improving, but they still have a long way to go until they reach the quality levels of their competitors. But I am not sure if they even need to do that, because they are already the strongest company in the dinosaur toy market, since they are (Unfortunately) freaking everywhere! And other companies are hard to find in stores today.

But if they eventually get better...maybe we will finally see good dinosaur in the selves, if we can't get variety of companies at least we will get decent things from schleich

Shonisaurus

Quote from: MLMjp on September 07, 2017, 10:34:27 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 02, 2017, 11:09:13 PM

Dont get your hopes to high, we are talking about Schleich here, they are improving, but they still have a long way to go until they reach the quality levels of their competitors. But I am not sure if they even need to do that, because they are already the strongest company in the dinosaur toy market, since they are (Unfortunately) freaking everywhere! And other companies are hard to find in stores today.

But if they eventually get better...maybe we will finally see good dinosaur in the selves, if we can't get variety of companies at least we will get decent things from schleich

I meant that for me is a strong company in the dinosaur toy market in this case companies like Safari, Collecta or Papo that does not mean that sales in establishments are much more minority than those of the company Schleich. I once commented that Schleich monopolizes the whole toy market, but regardless of whether his figures are not what one wants, for example the oviraptor has too many colors conservative, or the dinogorgon I see especially with small eyes, that does not means that over time you can put to the same level in quality companies Safari or Collecta to cite two examples, although I think that will take many years.

But compared the current figures to the old ones that were intended for children is a big, slow, but great step. Equally my hopes are unfounded but I sincerely wish that the dinosaur companies improve in quality, material and also artistically. I honestly do not lose hope. Time will tell if Schleich changes or is still a company dedicated in body and soul to the little ones. At least these figures I like and I certainly (I have never been a supporter of Schleich so far) I will buy them next year.

tanystropheus

Quote from: The Expeditioner's Discovery Guild (PainterRex) on September 07, 2017, 12:25:27 AM

It's the best Dinogorgan representation in the market. Plus, it has a nostalgia-like Kenner feel to it.

tanystropheus

Quote from: CMIPalaeo on September 06, 2017, 11:20:48 PM
Wow, the Carnotaurus is unbelievably weird-looking.

I kind of like it. I doubt I will pick it up, though.

sauroid

the leaked pics we've seen are only of the prototypes, i will wait until the actual commercial products are out in the market before definitely proclaiming that Schleich has improved.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

The Atroxious

For what it's worth (I'm not a mammal collector, nor do I know anything about Dinogorgon) I really, really dig the inclusion of the serratus and external obliques on that figure. Having long bemoaned the exclusion of major muscle groups on extinct animal reconstructions (the worst ones being no rectus abdominus on dinosaurs, and no latissimus dorsi on basically everything) the detail of the obliques almost makes me want to get that figure on principal.

I'm almost certainly going to get the, uh, "Oviraptor," and then slather it with paint since the paint quality looks about the same as you'd find on your average hollow Chinasaur.

I wish they had resculpted the Therizinosaurus. The wonky head and neck, plus lack of extensive feathering really turns me off. It's a shame since the new color scheme is incredibly fitting for an animal known as the Reaper Lizard.

ItsTwentyBelow

The Dinogorgon is a great-looking figure, and I don't get the folks who can't appreciate it.

These animals were mammal-like reptiles, so of course it appears to have traits from both classes. The pose makes it look like an active, possibly warm-blooded animal, as it should.

So what if it looks a bit thin near the hips or in the skull? It has the overall appearance of a rather robust individual. It's really a very sound reconstruction of a gorgonsopsid. Why say so bluntly that it's not accurate? In my opinion that is just confusing to people who don't find it critical for every figure to have the exact BMI they want in order to be called accurate. It isn't like Schleich completely got this one wrong like they did with their Ceratosaurus and Ouranosaurus (to name JUST a couple). Far from it.

This Gorgonops is maybe a bit conservative, but it also has the proper number of toes, the dentition looks great, good details on the skull and musculature, anatomy is otherwise sound, and it has a nice practical coloration that invokes the Jurassic Park Lycaenops.

I guess most people just don't have an appreciation for these animals?

The Atroxious

Technically, it's a synapsid. The term "mammal-like reptile" is obsolete, since there doesn't seem to be any evidence that mammals evolved from reptiles. Mammals evolved from synapsids, and reptiles evolved from diapsids, and both evolved from basal amniotes.

It doesn't even look that thin around the hips. I'm more inclined to say that it's the angle and resultant cast shadow that make its flanks look sunken in, sort of like how the initial pictures made the Papo Acrocanthosaurus' head look enormous. The area around the cranium does look a bit shrink-wrapped, but I find it easy enough to ignore. That beautiful musculature more than makes up for the slightly emaciated looking head. It's not often toys show such well conditioned animals, unless we're talking horse toys.

Neosodon

Quote from: The Atroxious on September 08, 2017, 05:30:45 PM
Technically, it's a synapsid. The term "mammal-like reptile" is obsolete, since there doesn't seem to be any evidence that mammals evolved from reptiles. Mammals evolved from synapsids, and reptiles evolved from diapsids, and both evolved from basal amniotes.
So did synapsids evolve directly from amphibians?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Faelrin

Not quite. It goes from tetrapod to amniotes to reptilomorphs, to a split in synapsids and sauropisds (which is the tree of reptiles, and further splits into several groups), assuming I'm correct on all that. I mean unless you consider ancient tetrapods amphibians, they aren't the same group as the more modern ones (like salamanders and frogs and even other prehistoric ones). Honestly I'm not sure why "mammal-like reptile" has stuck around this long. Honestly when someone calls synapsids that, I'm suddenly reminded of those really old reconstructions of dinosaurs as nothing but big slow dumb lizards dragging their tails. It's probably also why so many still give Dimetrodon a lizard like posture, if they are misled into thinking they are actually reptiles.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ItsTwentyBelow

I know what I am talking about. We're all synapsids, so why would I use such a broad term?

Anyway, I think "mammal-like reptile" has its uses. Not everyone here is as familiar with technical terms, so I think that is easier for some to understand than "synapsid". This was a group of animals that, like I said, shared characteristics of both mammals and reptiles. The term doesn't necessarily have to imply that one group is directly descended from the other.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: