News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

or maybe Schleich has representatives reading through forums like DTF and FB groups and they saw all the negative comments about most of their horrendous recent outputs and finally realized that they have to up their game.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Reptilia

For what I understood reading on STS forum the images have been leaked, and seems they (STS) won't help to spread any leaked material to avoid legal actions from Schleich. They say the company didn't want the catalogue images to be revealed before october, at the earliest. What about this forum's position?

PaleoMatt

Quote from: sauroid on August 25, 2017, 12:44:07 PM
or maybe Schleich has representatives reading through forums like DTF and FB groups and they saw all the negative comments about most of their horrendous recent outputs and finally realized that they have to up their game.
HAVE THEY FINALLY LISTENED TO OUR CRIES??

sauroid

Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 25, 2017, 02:07:37 PM
Quote from: sauroid on August 25, 2017, 12:44:07 PM
HAVE THEY FINALLY LISTENED TO OUR CRIES??
i hope so. we are an important segment of animal replica consumers, and we have very strong opinions about what companies put out, so im only assuming we are influential enough to pressure them to improve.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

LeapingLaelaps

I can't believe I'm saying this but Schleich actually did a great job for once! :P

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on August 25, 2017, 02:00:08 PM
For what I understood reading on STS forum the images have been leaked, and seems they (STS) won't help to spread any leaked material to avoid legal actions from Schleich. They say the company didn't want the catalogue images to be revealed before october, at the earliest. What about this forum's position?

That's a good idea, actually. I'd have been much less quick to include the images in this thread if I had suspected they hadn't been officially published yet.

Megalosaurus

Nice.
I'll, get the Dinogorgon, Psittacosaurus and Tawa (the worst, but unique).
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Halichoeres

The more I look at that Oviraptor, the more it seems to me that it's the most correctly feathered large-scaled oviraptorid currently available. Sort of a low bar, but it's honestly pretty decent work from Schleich. I find the paint job pretty off-putting, though. The gray face and equally gray plumage make it look rather undead. The color scheme is sort of a photo negative of this cheap old Avimimus:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Quote from: Patrx on August 25, 2017, 05:15:50 PM
I'd have been much less quick to include the images in this thread if I had suspected they hadn't been officially published yet.

I understand if Schleich takes legal actions against retailers responsible of leaks, if there's an agreement to not show images before a certain date it is their right to sue who breaks said agreement. But I don't understand how they could threat the same legal actions against forums or whatever other public place online. Once the images are leaked they become public, and it's not like, say, music files, they're just promotional images for physical products. Sales won't be affected if the images are out earlier than the company planned.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reptilia on August 25, 2017, 02:00:08 PM

That's a good idea, actually. I'd have been much less quick to include the images in this thread if I had suspected they hadn't been officially published yet.
Quote from: Reptilia on August 25, 2017, 08:50:11 PM
I'd have been much less quick to include the images in this thread if I had suspected they hadn't been officially published yet.

I understand if Schleich takes legal actions against retailers responsible of leaks, if there's an agreement to not show images before a certain date it is their right to sue who breaks said agreement. But I don't understand how they could threat the same legal actions against forums or whatever other public place online. Once the images are leaked they become public, and it's not like, say, music files, they're just promotional images for physical products. Sales won't be affected if the images are out earlier than the company planned.
The DTF doesn't have their companies name on display.
There is no crime in sharing these images, the one "at fault" is the person who leaked them, sharing them is perfectly legal. When Schleich threatened the STS that was moreso telling them "we LET you exist, we can sue you out of existence if you don't do everything we say." which they can't do to the DTF because it isn't using their trademark.

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 25, 2017, 08:11:08 PM
The more I look at that Oviraptor, the more it seems to me that it's the most correctly feathered large-scaled oviraptorid currently available. Sort of a low bar, but it's honestly pretty decent work from Schleich.
The Oviraptor and Tawa both have the fused fingers, potentially a first for toy dinosaur wings! Even BOTM doesn't have that detail right.

Reptilia

The more I look at the images, the more I find incredible they are Schleich products. And the difference in quality between figures is also quite striking. The Velociraptor, Carnotaurus and Tawa all have Schleich's traditional cartoon look, while Triceratops and Dinogorgon look as good as Collectas, and Oviraptor and Psittacosaurus may well be Papos. I wonder how many different sculptors Schleich employs. Damn, I'm not even at half of my 2017 shopping list and I already have one for 2018!

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 25, 2017, 10:58:01 PM
The Oviraptor and Tawa both have the fused fingers, potentially a first for toy dinosaur wings! Even BOTM doesn't have that detail right.

I think the BotM figures with fully feathered hands do get that detail right, while the ones with scaly hands definitely don't.  There is evidence that suggests in these animals, the last joint in the second and third finger weren't connected to each other within skin and were consequently free, as Dinoguy2 explained in Reply #40 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5526.40

The two fingers being connected up to the last joint appears to be reconstructed in the BotM figures with feathered hands, and those two Schleich figures.  My guess is dinosaurs with fingers like this had the last joint free so that the claws on both fingers could be flexed.

Neosodon

https://youtu.be/8yC7ceLUuSE

Looks like shleich finally did an overhaul of the dinosaur department. They are finally starting to make the transition from toddler toys to realistic figures for all ages. The Oviraptor is their first dinosaur that has decent feathers. The Psitacosaurus is my overall favorite. It is on par and actually looks like one of collecta's figures. Although they didn't use the correct colors it is forgivable if it's supposed to be a different genus. The Tawa has ridiculously over sized feet but bases aren't really popular with young children so it makes sense. The fact that they made aa small obscure therapod with a slender body and small head and teeth is a nice change.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Reptilia

We might be looking merely at the first half of 2018 releases, Schleich might have more stuff in store for the second half. It's 50/50, they can give us more surprisingly good stuff or they can pull out another Acrocanthosaurus type of thing.

PaleoMatt

Oh god, don't even mention the Acrocanthosaurus.

Takama

Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 26, 2017, 01:40:41 AM
Oh god, don't even mention the Acrocanthosaurus.

What Acrocanthosaurus?

This Acrocanthosaurus?

:)) :)) :)) :))

Back on topic

I am impressed by 2018 output for the begining of the year.   

PaleoMatt

AAAAAAAAAAAH MY EYES!!!!!!!

SBell

I'll definitely need that Dinogorgon..that's a given.

Maybe the Tawa, just because it's different.

tanystropheus

Good thing I never completely wrote off Schleich.

As stated earlier, these new figures are on par with CollectA and Papo  :o

I will pick them up for sure to incentivize Schleich to continue to perform their very best.

I just hope it's not a once in a blue moon type event (e.g. Kentro, Penta), with Schleich reverting to their previous mode of existence.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on August 26, 2017, 12:37:24 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 25, 2017, 10:58:01 PM

I think the BotM figures with fully feathered hands do get that detail right, while the ones with scaly hands definitely don't. 
Aah ok, my bad I must have missed that.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: