News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletodave

The American Mastodon is magnificent.

Digibasherx

Not sure how new the XL figures are, but wow, that Triceratops looks awesome, and that Stego looks like it has a sore throat from all the yelling.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Digibasherx on September 26, 2017, 02:39:57 AM
Not sure how new the XL figures are, but wow, that Triceratops looks awesome, and that Stego looks like it has a sore throat from all the yelling.
Triceratops? stegosaurus? I dont see them

Takama

Quote from: Digibasherx on September 26, 2017, 02:39:57 AM

You sure your not talking about the Great Dinos Figures that have been out For YEARS?

https://www.safariltd.com/great-dinos-stegosaurus-figurines-30002

https://www.safariltd.com/great-dinos-triceratops-figurines-30005

amargasaurus cazaui

The mastodon will go quite well with the mastodon tusks my father recovered some years back, I will be needing a pair of them
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 25, 2017, 11:10:17 PM
Quote from: sauroid on September 25, 2017, 10:34:22 PM
why is it called "Bernie" anyway?

Named after Bernard Rubel one of the founders of Safari Ltd.

Good to know! Maybe someday they'll make a Bernissartia for the prehistoric line as a counterpart to modern day Bernie.  ;D

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

So at 8.12" L and 4.26" H, the Mastodon is longer in... er, length, but shorter in height than the Woolly Mammoth figure (5.46" L & H). What I'm dying to know is, does this put them roughly in scale with each other? (Mind pitching in an official word, Doug?) I definitely want this figure either way, but I will be even happier if it can comfortably coexist with my Safari mammoth, African elephant, and Amebeledon on the shelf!  :D

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 26, 2017, 08:21:32 PM
So at 8.12" L and 4.26" H, the Mastodon is longer in... er, length, but shorter in height than the Woolly Mammoth figure (5.46" L & H). What I'm dying to know is, does this put them roughly in scale with each other? (Mind pitching in an official word, Doug?) I definitely want this figure either way, but I will be even happier if it can comfortably coexist with my Safari mammoth, African elephant, and Amebeledon on the shelf!  :D

In measuring my mammoth, it comes out more like 5x5" rather than 5.5", so maybe we need to take the website's dimensions with a grain of salt.

Faelrin

I think they included the trunk in the figure's measurements. At least it came out to about that when I measured mine, including the trunk, the other day. I hope they are to scale as well, but either way I'll have it alongside my Woolly Mammoth for sure. I ended up getting the mammoth (and the Smilodon) pretty recently in anticipation of getting this mastodon.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

I've been waiting for a Mastodon figure for a very long time. This one will do quite nicely. Us New Yorkers hold the Mastodon in a special place in our hearts. No dinosaur fossils in the state, but if you're plowing a field or digging a pool you might just come across one of these awesome pachyderms.

Reptilia

No reveals from Safari today?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Reptilia on September 26, 2017, 11:47:07 PM
No reveals from Safari today?

Not prehistoric, they revealed a gnome toob. It's strange, they said that they were going to reveal a product each day starting with Bernie, but in the same day a bunch of figures were made available on their website (including said toob) so maybe they are going to made a number of figures available each week and showcase them individually on facebook daily.

Reptilia

I'm quite interested in discovering what ceratopsian they have in store, hopefully it'll be the next prehistoric reveal.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 26, 2017, 08:21:32 PM

Yes I can talk about that one, it is one of mine and has been officially revealed. The American Mastodon is meant to be in the 1:30 scale range for a large specimen. I of course don't have a production sample yet so I can't tell right now if it shrank to the level I allowed for but it should be close to that range, my original is 4.25" at the shoulder. My Woolly Mammoth was scaled to roughly 1:40. I am not sure which Safari elephants you have but my African Elephant # 295629 is roughly 1:46 for an above average sized specimen and my Asian Elephant # 227529 & Asian Elephant with a log  # 295529 are both in the 1:30 scale for an average sized specimen. I also did the Wildlife Wonders African and Asian Elephants.

Reptilia

I didn't know that the good luck minis are sold in bags of 192 pieces, so basically Safari dinos completists have to fork out 120 bucks to obtain the Velociraptor? That would be outrageous.

CityRaptor

Pretty much. Some stores also sell Minis in smaller units.  Some also come in Fun Packs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Doug Watson

Quote from: Reptilia on September 27, 2017, 01:40:56 PM
I didn't know that the good luck minis are sold in bags of 192 pieces, so basically Safari dinos completists have to fork out 120 bucks to obtain the Velociraptor? That would be outrageous.

That pricing is obviously geared to retailers buying directly from Safari Ltd, when I have seen minis for sale in stores they are loose in bins and sell for pennies basically and if you don't have a local retailer I am sure they will show up on Amazon in smaller groups just like the other minis. For example the mini Pterosaur was $115.00 for bulk through Safari (on sale now for $68.99) but on Amazon you can buy 10 for $8.00 plus shipping. Safari also offers Fun packs of 8 for $5.99 but they don't include the raptor just yet. I imagine anyone who collects minis probably knows all this already.

Paleodude

I can't tell you happy I am that the mastodon is roughly in scale with the Carnagie mammoth! It really is a piece of art and a great way to start the 2018 line. You really outdid yourself this year Mr. Watson.

DC

I am really pleased by the new Raptor GLM. It was on my wish list.  I confess I bought the large bag of GLM Spinosaurus, I should not have but I really wanted it. I will have hard time resisting the temptation on the raptors.  The Pterosaur and raptor make such great additions for dioramas with larger scale figures.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Reptilia

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 27, 2017, 02:40:16 PM
That pricing is obviously geared to retailers buying directly from Safari Ltd

Ah ok, sounds right this way.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: