News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Could also be Dreadnoughtus, which is known from better remains than Argentinosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Archosauria

Good idea. That would make sense, as Dreadnaughtus is a more recent discovery, and, if i can remember correctly, bigger than Argentinosaurus.
And big dinosaurs make big money.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Faelrin

I honestly can't wait to find out what they are, because they both seem interesting so far.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SpartanSquat

I hope with this teaser they will show soon the new figures, despite most safari figures will be avalible in november.

amargasaurus cazaui

But why not Patagotitan? If I were to choose a titanosaur to release this year, that would be the one
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Takama on October 14, 2017, 10:41:28 PM
Could it be Malawisaurus?

That was my first thought as well, based on that boxy skull.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 15, 2017, 06:33:33 AM
But why not Patagotitan? If I were to choose a titanosaur to release this year, that would be the one

Isn't it a bit too recent though?  Probably more likely next year.

tanystropheus

I remember the days when Ultrasaurus and Supersaurus were the coolest sauropods ever.

Archosauria

Well, they still have the coolest sauropod names.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

CityRaptor

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 15, 2017, 07:08:12 AM
I remember the days when Ultrasaurus and Supersaurus were the coolest sauropods ever.

Well, the American Ultrasaurus/Ultrasauros is now a junior synonym of Supersaurus. And the Korean Ultrasaurus is much smaller and a nomen dubium... So yeah, it's probably best to stay away from the Ultras.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Archosauria

No amount of nomen dubiums or junior synonyms can take the best sauropod name away from us.

-Steve Miller

Shonisaurus

Could not be a rapetosaurus? It is a very little titanosaur represented in the toy dinosaur market.

Takama

I highly doubt it is anything thats as Fragmentary as Argentinosaurus.

IF that turns out to be the case then I will be surprised

terrorchicken

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 15, 2017, 04:24:13 PM
Could not be a rapetosaurus? It is a very little titanosaur represented in the toy dinosaur market.

and here's the sauropod with the worst name ever!  :P

John

Quote from: Takama on October 15, 2017, 05:56:54 PM
I highly doubt it is anything thats as Fragmentary as Argentinosaurus.

IF that turns out to be the case then I will be surprised
Quetzalcoatlus northropi is just as fragmentary,and was one of this year's models.So something not being well represented by fossils can still turn up if it has a well enough known name.And when it comes to titanosaurid sauropods the most famous is undoubtedly Argentinosaurus due to it's status as being the biggest dinosaur known (until Patagotitan which is too new to have been made in time to be released this soon).
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

I'm not convinced that that ad doesn't show three copies of the same figure, just at different angles. The one with the apparently shorter neck might just be foreshortened. I think Argentinosaurus is a pretty good guess, but I wouldn't bet too much money on any particular taxon.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PhilSauria

Yeah, I took it as the same figure from different angles to make up the small group of animals, but as I recall there did seem to be two sets of Sauropod feet in the teaser snapshots so here's hoping that we see a couple of species in the new release.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

The length of the neck and the slope of the back lead me to believe the silhouetted sauropods are titanosaurs rather than Camarasaurus. I'm excited!!!

suspsy

Quote from: Archosauria on October 15, 2017, 03:27:32 AM
Good idea. That would make sense, as Dreadnaughtus is a more recent discovery, and, if i can remember correctly, bigger than Argentinosaurus.
And big dinosaurs make big money.

No, despite all the ridiculous media hype, Dreadnoughtus is NOT bigger than Argentinosaurus.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

I'm very excited for this sauropods, I just hope they are similar in scale to last year's Diplodocus. I really hope the next wave reveals one dinosaur.

John

The diagram from suspy shows why it's so hard to precicely identify any particular titanosaurid sauropod from a fleshed out model.To get a basic shape,you need to combine different parts from different genera and hope that you come close to being reasonably accurate as they all appear to have their own unique body plans.And then there's the lack of skull material... :)
But still,I can't wait to see it,along with the rest of next year's lineup. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: