News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA 2019 Hopes and Dreams

Started by suspsy, January 04, 2018, 01:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on May 04, 2018, 02:39:47 AM
Quote from: QuetzalcoatlusKing on May 04, 2018, 02:00:00 AM
Quote from: DragonRider02 on May 03, 2018, 04:47:02 PM
Quote from: QuetzalcoatlusKing on May 03, 2018, 05:46:18 AM
I would love some more Dino Corpses. Maybe a hadrosaur or two, perhaps a Parasaurolophous and sommee other duckbill body. I would also like to see an Ankylosaurus or Sauropod corpse.
How about dead pterosaur? Or a marine reptile!
that sounds interesting. Maybe some Ice Age beasts like a dead Mammoth?

I like the idea of a dead pterosaur, but before CollectA does a dead mammoth, I think they need to make a new live one.

I agree with you the current figure of the mammoth primigenius of Collecta needs an update and a reissue that is at the height of other toy companies of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

Halichoeres

The paper that Martyniuk cites doesn't argue that hair or pycnofibres are incapable of sequestering carotenoids, only that structural color makes the colors more intense (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17148144). That might mean that pterosaurs had more melanin-dominated palettes, as he says, but they were also probably trichromats or maybe even tetrachromats, unlike mammals, which are largely dichromats. As in the case of down feathers, it's hard for me to be sure that the limited range of colors exhibited by mammals isn't more about what they can see than what they are intrinsically capable of. Primates are the only mammal group I know with 3-color vision, and they also show bright colors more often than other mammals, but the brightest colors definitely are on skin. That's consistent with what you were pointing out before, and maybe bright colors were a lot more common on pterosaur skin than on their pycnofibres, because that does seem to be easier to accomplish.

As for the pink skin on the spoonbill chicks, that might just be a lot of capillary and muscle showing through. I'm not sure it's dermal pigment at all.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sauropelta

I would like them to stick to a scale they like and keep all of them around that scale.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Vidusaurus

I think that guessing CollectA's future lineups is pretty much a crapshoot, even more than other companies, because of how obscure and varied their species choices are. That being said, here's my best guess/wishlist:

UPDATED SPECIES (while there's so many old models that need updating, I've limited myself to about half a dozen so this list doesn't go on forever):
Deluxe Paraceratherium
Deluxe Baryonyx
Deluxe Gigantoraptor (with proper feathering this time)
Chasmosaurus
Megalosaurus
Utahraptor
Cetiosaurus
Lambeosaurus
Hatzegopteryx

NEW SPECIES:
Deluxe Yi
Dreadnoughtus or Patagotitan
Borealopelta
Nothosaurus
Genyornis
Heterodontosaurus (possibly in the same style as their Hypsilophodon and Koreaceratops)
Zhenyuanlong
Pterodaustro
Campylognathoides
Edaphosaurus
Qianzhousaurus
Velafrons
Centrosaurus
Thalassodromeus
Shuvuuia
Gorgosaurus
Plesiosaurus
Monolophosaurus
Pareiasaurus

suspsy

I like your choice of suggestions for updated species. Especially Baryonyx and Gigantoraptor.

Only about three more weeks before we start finding out what's in store for next year!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DragonRider02

Maybe we'll finally get an accurate Velociraptor...

Halichoeres

Just hoping for a few non-dinosaurs...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 12, 2018, 03:01:15 PM
Just hoping for a few non-dinosaurs...

If history is an indication, we'll get at least one prehistoric mammal and one sea monster. But I too hope the Dimetrodon and the Estemmenosuchus sold well enough to spawn more Paleozoic beasties!

Sauropelta

I'd like to add deluxe dinos should all be based on big dinos like sauropods & theropods and non deluxe small ones like protoceratops, velo, pterosaurs, ect.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Shonisaurus

A reissue of triceratops, ankylosaurus, brachiosaurus, velociraptor, pteranodon and scelidosaurus, mammoth primigenius Deluxe size would be essential. I know that they are well-known figures but being realistic I think that even companies like Collecta get these more profitable figures in profits, what are we going to fool ourselves for.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: suspsy on October 12, 2018, 01:14:03 PM
I like your choice of suggestions for updated species. Especially Baryonyx and Gigantoraptor.

Only about three more weeks before we start finding out what's in store for next year!

Oh good! I hopped on to the forums just now specifically intending to ask if we knew when Collecta was going to start reveal their lineup.

Minmiminime

They've announced their retirements for next year, here's the post by ED! Funny enough, I thought they'd retired that Tsintaosaurus this year..! Might grab another one just for hilarity purposes before it goes altogether... 😈 https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2018/10/18/collecta-prehistoric-animal-model-retirements-2019.html
Sounds like new figure announcements are fairly imminent 😊
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

suspsy

Too bad about the swimming Spinosaurus and the Koreaceratops family. They're both really nice. I'd love to see CollectA do another little diorama of tiny dinos.

Good riddance to the rest, though!

CollectA has historically begun revealing new stuff at the beginning of November, so we still have to wait awhile. Or maybe Safari's reveals will force them to start early? Time will tell.

Jose S.M.

I don't think Mutaburrasaurus and Edmontonia are bad, but they are not up to the recent collecta standards, maybe some of the retired ones are going to be updated?

suspsy

Quote from: Jose S.M. on October 19, 2018, 12:17:22 AM
I don't think Mutaburrasaurus and Edmontonia are bad, but they are not up to the recent collecta standards, maybe some of the retired ones are going to be updated?

No, they're not necessarily bad, but they're not great either. Much of their charm comes from the fact that they're both relatively rare species.

Becklespinax will definitely not be updated given that it doesn't even exist. A new Paraceratherium sure would be swell.

Vidusaurus

Quote from: suspsy on October 19, 2018, 12:27:22 AM

No, they're not necessarily bad, but they're not great either. Much of their charm comes from the fact that they're both relatively rare species.

Becklespinax will definitely not be updated given that it doesn't even exist. A new Paraceratherium sure would be swell.

I thought Becklespinax got sunk back into Altispinax since the vertebra were never intended to be the same species as the original "Megalosaurus" dunkeri tooth from Germany? In any case, retiring Paraceratherium seems like a good sign that we're getting a new one. Hopefully a new accurate Tsintaosaurus as well.

suspsy

Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 19, 2018, 02:33:10 AM
Quote from: suspsy on October 19, 2018, 12:27:22 AM

I thought Becklespinax got sunk back into Altispinax since the vertebra were never intended to be the same species as the original "Megalosaurus" dunkeri tooth from Germany?

Precisely.

QuoteIn any case, retiring Paraceratherium seems like a good sign that we're getting a new one. Hopefully a new accurate Tsintaosaurus as well.

Tsintaosaurus' true appearance still isn't known for certain. A new version would appreciated, but I'd rather see Edmontosaurus or Saurolophus or Hypacrosaurus. Something brand new.

Quote from: suspsy on October 19, 2018, 03:02:59 AM
Tsintaosaurus' true appearance still isn't known for certain. A new version would appreciated, but I'd rather see Edmontosaurus or Saurolophus or Hypacrosaurus. Something brand new.

I've been pulling for a Saurolophus for a while. Like Centrosaurus, it's a common and important genus that has hardly any representation in toy form. Plus the fact that it's found in both Asia and America increases its utility when changing up my displays.

Quote from: suspsy on October 19, 2018, 12:00:09 AM
Too bad about the swimming Spinosaurus and the Koreaceratops family. They're both really nice. I'd love to see CollectA do another little diorama of tiny dinos.

Good riddance to the rest, though!

CollectA has historically begun revealing new stuff at the beginning of November, so we still have to wait awhile. Or maybe Safari's reveals will force them to start early? Time will tell.

Everything Dinosaur says they'll start reveals in a couple weeks.

So sad about the Koreaceratops family! I guess I'd better get one while I can. I assumed it was going to be around for a while and so was concentrating on acquiring other models first. I'm disappointed that this concept of groupings of smaller dinosaurs never quite took off. My Hypsilophodon family is one of the treasures of my collection. With a little imagination to account for location and time period, I've used them in every single display I've set up ever since buying them!

Concavenator

Now that I think of it,it's been quite a while sinceI don't get a CollectA figure.The last one I got was their Spinosaurus in November 2015.Since them I have been clllecting the new Safaris.There hasn't been any piece fromCollectA that have really grabbed my attention since their fantastic 2015.This year's Ceratosaurus was interesting,but I prefered to preorder Safari's new Citipati instead for my bday.

Hopefully Safari will bring something really interesting this year.Their 2017 and 2018 have been very boring and I'm somehow disappointed,since I still am a CollectA fan,but they are kind of hit and miss.

Safari,now, is all hits.Though if CollectA released more pieces like their 2015 Tyrannosaurus,Spinosaurus,Guidraco...they would be so much more interesting.

Honestly I was CollectA I would ditch their "Standard Line" and just do the "Deluxe line" series,even if the number of releases is less.In my opinion,their Standard line figures are too small and have never really had my heed.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: