News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA 2019 Hopes and Dreams

Started by suspsy, January 04, 2018, 01:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I'm glad I have most of the ones from that that I want, only not got the Edmontonia.

I can't wait for the reveals to begin. There's bound to be a nice obscure animal of some description, surely.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Ravonium

So, this may finally be the 'purge' year some have been eagerly anticipating (next year, more figures will be retired than will be introduced). I'm, for now, happy about this, as the blog also says that there are more waves of retired figures to come, meaning there probably won't be a reduction in the number of new releases.

My biggest hopes for next year are:

• A wider range of colours are used in the paint jobs of the figures. Last year, almost every figure was either predominantly brown or green, which I find quite jarring to look at.
  • There is at least one maniraptoran with accurate arm feathers.
  • There is at least one Mesozoic animal that isn't a dinosaur (preferably a marine reptile, but I wouldn't mind a pterosaur or a crocodile).
  • The choice of mammal is more inspired than this year. Proboscideans are pretty much the derived ceratopsians of prehistoric mammals when it comes to how overrepresented they are now.

IrritatorRaji

Truth be told I'm always the most excited for CollectA's reveals, they get better year after year, I'll be happy with whatever they produce.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Ravonium on October 20, 2018, 12:48:05 PM

• There is at least one maniraptoran with accurate arm feathers.

Seconded. Collecta has yet to release a truly definitive maniraptoran model. I keep expecting a Dakotaraptor from them.

• The choice of mammal is more inspired than this year. Proboscideans are pretty much the derived ceratopsians of prehistoric mammals when it comes to how overrepresented they are now.

Hahahaha, that's gold. A perfect comparison of toy trends.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on October 19, 2018, 11:38:16 PM

Honestly I was CollectA I would ditch their "Standard Line" and just do the "Deluxe line" series,even if the number of releases is less.In my opinion,their Standard line figures are too small and have never really had my heed.

That's interesting, I really like their standard line because very often the animals are in 1:40, which is my favorite scale for large animals. I find the size of the deluxe figures is often awkward relative to my other figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 21, 2018, 09:38:30 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on October 19, 2018, 11:38:16 PM

Honestly I was CollectA I would ditch their "Standard Line" and just do the "Deluxe line" series,even if the number of releases is less.In my opinion,their Standard line figures are too small and have never really had my heed.

That's interesting, I really like their standard line because very often the animals are in 1:40, which is my favorite scale for large animals. I find the size of the deluxe figures is often awkward relative to my other figures.

I personally  wish they would DTICH the 1:40 Distincntion and just call there Large Figures DELUXE only.   Because they almost never get there Scaleing right.

suspsy

I honestly don't care one bit about the scale. Never have.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: suspsy on October 22, 2018, 12:06:52 AM

Same, I don't really care about scale one bit (for example, I've got a Papo Cryolophosaurus right next to the CollectA Brontosaurus, Cryo dwarfs the sauropod figure but I couldn't care less). I just buy what looks nice and stick it where ever I can on my shelf.

suspsy

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 22, 2018, 12:42:47 AM
Quote from: suspsy on October 22, 2018, 12:06:52 AM

I just buy what looks nice and stick it where ever I can on my shelf.

Yeah, that's my philosophy as well.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 22, 2018, 12:42:47 AM

Same, I don't really care about scale one bit (for example, I've got a Papo Cryolophosaurus right next to the CollectA Brontosaurus, Cryo dwarfs the sauropod figure but I couldn't care less). I just buy what looks nice and stick it where ever I can on my shelf.

I don't care about scale in the strict sense but I do try to display my figures in a way that avoid big size discrepancies.

I understand why someone who does care about it gets mad at CollectA for giving wrong scales, let's say they see a 1:40 Iguanodon coming and get all  excited and it ends up being closer to 1:30, that sucks for them.

Halichoeres

I get that for some people these are pretty statues or memorabilia for films, but I'm a biologist first and a collector second. My training is in ecology and evolution, and for me these figures are a way of thinking about the ecological and evolutionary history of life on Earth. One of the most important aspects of an organism's ecology is its size. So for me, each shelf is a little diorama or an evolutionary vignette. Some formations are very well represented, and you can do a little ecological snapshot in plastic if things are roughly to scale. Or you can do a shelf like this:

Where you can read the history of the oceans (okay, a few of these are freshwater) from the Silurian to the end of the Cretaceous, getting a sense for what species succeeded each other in a particular niche, and a sense for what periods altogether lacked occupants of particular niches. 1:40 is still a very common scale in dinosaur figures, 1:35 is close-enough, and 1:20 is also surprisingly common and good for depicting a different range of creatures, but most of CollectA's deluxe figures are 1:30 or larger, which puts them in an awkward in-between where they're too large for one shelf but too small for another. I wouldn't hold that against them except that they continue to sell them as 1:40.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

I definitely fall into the group of people who collect for mostly aesthetic rather than purely scientific reasons.  However, although I don't mind what scale a figure is produced in - I'm happy to display anything provided I like it and it isn't too big for my shelves - I do mind quite a bit when information supplied about the model isn't accurate.  That includes information about the scale.  I would rather be left to work out the scale myself than be given something that is wrong.  (I don't mean a just bit out, as I realise there are always issues around whether the fossils that survive were the largest possible specimen or a medium size specimen etc.)

stargatedalek

While I am particular in regards to scale, you have to be lenient when you focus on larger scales. Though I have nothing against using a figure of one species as representation for another if that makes it work in the desired scale.

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Well, for 2019 I will be very satisfy with a Saurophaganax, Allosaurus and Tyrannotitan in deluxe scale...

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Ceratosaurus blogspot on October 26, 2018, 07:25:44 PM
Well, for 2019 I will be very satisfy with a Saurophaganax, Allosaurus and Tyrannotitan in deluxe scale...
Why Saurophaganax? It's the same animal as Allosaurus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Ceratosaurus blogspot

It's an 'anabolized' allosaurus! I refer to this model because the popular scale is so small and I think it would be great to see a model on a deluxe scale. And to compare with their 'little cousin', they could make a Allosaurus fragilis ...

And about Tyrannotitan I think it would be a good choice for Collecta, because the company would present a model not yet manufactured and would have no competitor, which would result in a bigger sale. Just to compare, nowadays we have five popular companies selling Giganotosaurus (Eofauna, Mojo, Schleich, Safari and Vitae)...

Shonisaurus

Paraceratherium deluxe by Collecta reissued and improved would be a great revelation by this company.

The paraceratherium next to the elasmotherium are two of my favorite prehistoric mammals.

Ravonium

meaning there probably won't be a reduction in the number of new releases.

Nevermind, there will likely be a reduction in new releases. According to one Youtube comment, there will only be 5 'dinosaur' figures in 2019, due to the new leadership wanting to prioritise domestic animals (can't wait to see that decision bounce hard  ::) ). Furthermore, Numaan of STS posted that next year's lineup (presumably in general) will be small.

Although that's not to say they won't put any less effort than usual in those 5 figures, or that this will be the final number :) (but considering that this is about half of what they'd usually release, I don't think it'll change that significantly :( ).

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Ceratosaurus blogspot on October 27, 2018, 05:13:14 PM
It's an 'anabolized' allosaurus! I refer to this model because the popular scale is so small and I think it would be great to see a model on a deluxe scale. And to compare with their 'little cousin', they could make a Allosaurus fragilis ...

And about Tyrannotitan I think it would be a good choice for Collecta, because the company would present a model not yet manufactured and would have no competitor, which would result in a bigger sale. Just to compare, nowadays we have five popular companies selling Giganotosaurus (Eofauna, Mojo, Schleich, Safari and Vitae)...
No issue with Tyrannotitan or Allosaurus. But there's no need to release another Allosaurus with a different name, and the deluxe figures aren't even to scale with one another either anyway.

Quote from: Ravonium on October 29, 2018, 07:35:50 PM
meaning there probably won't be a reduction in the number of new releases.

Nevermind, there will likely be a reduction in new releases. According to one Youtube comment, there will only be 5 'dinosaur' figures in 2019, due to the new leadership wanting to prioritise domestic animals (can't wait to see that decision bounce hard  ::) ). Furthermore, Numaan of STS posted that next year's lineup (presumably in general) will be small.

Although that's not to say they won't put any less effort than usual in those 5 figures, or that this will be the final number :) (but considering that this is about half of what they'd usually release, I don't think it'll change that significantly :( ).
Five is disappointing, but if there's at least one really nice figure, I'd be happy.

PS I hope this post isn't too long.

Shonisaurus

By the way Collecta in Deluxe scale has not yet made an ichyosaur. Would not it be a good idea for Collecta to do the shonisaurus? In fact it's my namesake with my nickname.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: