News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 29, 2020, 07:15:25 PM
I would like Eofauna to make a paraceratherium. It is one of the few brands where the possibility of making this rare and gigantic prehistoric rhino would fit.

S E C O N D E D

Takama

I PErsonaly would not be mad if EoFauna made another Mammal.

However, I wish they would give us something thats not an elelpehant.

a Paraceratherireum would be a start

Loon

Quote from: Takama on April 02, 2020, 01:30:10 AM
a Paraceratherireum would be a start

If a Paraceratherium doesn't happen at this point, I think it's time dump Eofauna as a company. I'm not biased, of course.  ;)

Martwad

I'd really love to see them do some Permian creatures, or some more obscure species from the Triassic.

Eofauna confirms they do have a model planned for this year, though just one since they have both their upcoming sauropod book and of course the pandemic stretching things a little thinner for them this year.

SidB

It's probably too late to lobby them for a Paraceratherium for 2020, if one isn't in the works already, but beyond (2021) would be great, if not this year. Plus, don't forget the projected ITOY one.

I'm hoping this year's lone release will be a Paraceratherium, although I would not mind a mastodon species or a gomphothere that isn't one of the shovel-tuskers. The spiral tusked Cuvieronius would be cool.

suspsy

I'd leap for joy if they did either Gigantopithecus or Arctotherium.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Martwad

Quote from: suspsy on May 15, 2020, 03:13:56 PM

I highly doubt they would ever do a Gigantopithecus, with their desire to attain a high level of scientific accuracy.  A lot more discoveries need to happen before we know much of anything about that creature.

suspsy

Quote from: Martwad on May 15, 2020, 03:56:12 PM

I highly doubt they would ever do a Gigantopithecus, with their desire to attain a high level of scientific accuracy.  A lot more discoveries need to happen before we know much of anything about that creature.

Proteins extracted from Gigantopithecus blacki teeth have shown that it was closely related to the orangutan, more so than any other ape. So despite there only being teeth and jaw fragments available at the present time, we know that Gigantopithecus did indeed resemble a giant orangutan. The Jungle Book remake more or less got it right.

Quote from: suspsy on May 15, 2020, 06:43:17 PM

Proteins extracted from Gigantopithecus blacki teeth have shown that it was closely related to the orangutan, more so than any other ape. So despite there only being teeth and jaw fragments available at the present time, we know that Gigantopithecus did indeed resemble a giant orangutan. The Jungle Book remake more or less got it right.

More or less, though I think this Sibbick painting is probably a little closer to the mark, in depicting them as orangutans doing their best gorilla impersonation, rather than simply depicting them as plus-sized orangutans.

Martwad

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on May 15, 2020, 07:00:35 PM
Quote from: suspsy on May 15, 2020, 06:43:17 PM

More or less, though I think this Sibbick painting is probably a little closer to the mark, in depicting them as orangutans doing their best gorilla impersonation, rather than simply depicting them as plus-sized orangutans.

I completely agree.  I'm not disputing the evidence relating them to orangutans, but the idea that they would just be scaled up orangutans.  The belief is that the common ancestor diversion happened approximately 10M years ago; a lot of evolutionary divergence can happen in that span of time.  Also, we do know that they would have filled completely different ecological niches.  As scaled-up versions of orangutans, they would have been too large to have been tree dwellers, so there would have been no reason for them to follow the same evolutionary path.  In my opinion, there would have been enough similarities to see a tie between the two species, but more so a whole lot of difference, kind of like comparing a glyptodon to an armadillo.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Are you pretty sure it will be  Gigantopithecus or any prehistoric mammalian figure, not a dinosaur? I will burst out of happiness if it is another dinosaur especially a theropod figure.

Concavenator

I (and I don't think that anybody except Eofauna, of course,  :P)  don't have any information as to what they will be releasing next. But since they have announced that they will be releasing one figure, it's either a dinosaur or a non-dinosaur. They posted some time ago that they would mainly focus on theropods, sauropodomorphs, ornithischians, and proboscideans. They now have a representative of each group, except for ornithischians. So it's logic to assume that if their next figure is a dinosaur, it will most probably be an ornithischian.

They made a Triceratops model some years ago, and since Triceratops is one of their favorite dinosaurs (they say so in their profile), I'm (personally) totally expecting a Triceratops as one of their next models (that's one of the reasons why I haven't bought Safari's 2018 Trike yet). If this year's figure is a non-dinosaur, then I'm betting it to be another proboscidean ( Mammuthus primigenius perhaps?).

SidB

avatar_Concavenator @Narutoceratops , this analysis makes a lot of sense to me. Any ceratopsian would be welcome to me, even a Triceratops, which I'd gladly display alongside Safari's current figure, which is the best mass produced one ever made. That being said, and with their emphasis on proboscideans among the mammals, I don't think that we'll see a Paraceratherium from Eofauna any time soon. I'm looking forward to the projected ITOY one instead. Hopefully it materializes.

suspsy

If Eofauna does a big ceratopsian, I'd rather it be Eotriceratops or Torosaurus. Both those big boys are in need of love.

Shonisaurus

I honestly would not be exactly displeased if Eofauna made an umpteenth reproduction of triceratops if it is so brilliant in quality to its giganotosaurus and its atlasaurus. I honestly understand that triceratops will be more successful than eotriceratops or diceratops (although I would also prefer those two ceraptósidos) but I am realistic and commercially sells more a triceratops among the collecting public and even young collectors.

I have said everything that Eofauna does I know that I will like it even if it is a traditional dinosaur like in this case the triceratops.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on May 18, 2020, 01:55:35 PM
If Eofauna does a big ceratopsian, I'd rather it be Eotriceratops or Torosaurus. Both those big boys are in need of love.

Eofauna Eotriceratops has a nice ring to it.

Over9K

We interrupt this thread to bring you this...

... we now return you to waiting for the 2020 Eofauna figure.

Andreioli

Quote from: Over9K on June 19, 2020, 07:42:46 PM
We interrupt this thread to bring you this...

... we now return you to waiting for the 2020 Eofauna figure.

I'll raise you one:

Photo credit @tiempodetitanes on Instagram.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: