You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Quote from: SidB on January 04, 2023, 07:23:55 PMThere's a type of collector, maybe seen in other spheres of collectibles more than this one, to whom removal from the box and certainly disposing of the box is a no-go. These aim to resell the products at a later date and obviously are interested in the pursuit and acquisition of said items, rather than enjoying the toys/collectibles in themselves. I agree, this type of collecting is of no interest whatsoever to me. I love to display and handle my dinos and mammals, so that rules me  out as a primarily value conscious reseller.

While it's true that some "collectors" do keep their various toys and figures mint in box with the intent to sell them later, I do have to say there ARE some figures and toys where the packaging is a major part of the presentation. In those cases, I have been known to keep a figure in the packaging.

I think this is less of an issue with dinosaur figure collecting, mostly because there typically isn't much packaging to speak of, unless we're talking Mattel's JP items or Beasts of the Mesozoic. Most dinosaur figurines from the main brands are simply polybagged with an informational hangtag.

PNSO has their boxes, but it'd be weird to keep those in the package, as there's no window and it's kinda like Schroedinger's dinosaur...how do you even know it's in there without opening it?

Carnoking

I will say, I keep a lot of Mattel's figures in their boxes, and if I ever came by some original Kenner figures in their boxes, best believe I wouldn't open those. Shane is right, the in box presentation really adds a level to the display of those cheaper toys, and I find I can enjoy most of the posing options and action gimmicks while still in the box.

CityRaptor

I got a carded Kenner Coelophysis. Value aside, there is nostalgia for that packaging. But my main reason is that those things are probably really sticky. Stickyness has been a problem with my old Kenner JP figures and I imagine that those sealed ones are much worse.

A thing I also keep boxed is the Lockwood Battle Set, since it is rather rare and has an attractive representation in package. It's also a pain to dust I might add.

Although generally I prefer free range Dinosaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Pachyrhinosaurus

I also prefer to remove my Jurassic figures from the box, though I'll keep the box intact much of the time. The only two I haven't are the Outhouse Chaos set and the Ray Arnold set since the boxes make for a good display without opening them.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Faelrin

I have a few of my Mattel figures in their boxes currently, such as the set of HC figures on my bed atm. I'm usually one to open my figures up though, but the past year my living situation has had way too much uncertainty, so I've left them in the boxes, worse case I have to put them into storage and can't bring them with me. Some I got earlier this year like the Quetzalcoatlus, and others, that I've already had to do that with. It's easier for me to pack them this way as is, then unbox them, especially since they all have one time assemblies with the tails (at least the HC figures). I also have my Rebor figures and PNSO Deinocheirus in the box still, because of the same reason, partly to keep safe from Spaz, my cat, when my shelves are in all storage. Although some of those Rebor figures I did previously keep on display. Another figure I have in box and will not open is the near mint Toyway WWD T. rex. It's like the vintage Kenner figures my friend in Germany collects. I know it is just a toy, but it is also a part of history that I feel is better in tact, and it has really nice presentation in the box too.

Currently I'm debating on if I want to open my Mattel Lystrosaurus set up with how rare it is now. I do still want to review it for the blog though, which would mean opening it. Granted I'm also not really one to buy things unless I personally wanted them.

avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor I too have that set still in box, and it is definitely relatable when coming to dusting it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shane

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 04, 2023, 10:26:05 PMI got a carded Kenner Coelophysis. Value aside, there is nostalgia for that packaging. But my main reason is that those things are probably really sticky. Stickyness has been a problem with my old Kenner JP figures and I imagine that those sealed ones are much worse.

A thing I also keep boxed is the Lockwood Battle Set, since it is rather rare and has an attractive representation in package. It's also a pain to dust I might add.

Although generally I prefer free range Dinosaurs.

A lot of older toys that are kept "mint" in box will be like this, mostly due to folks thinking they can just store packaged figures any old place without any adverse effects. If someone has kept toys in an attic or garage or somewhere that gets really hot, no amount of packaging will protect the figure within.

It's why, if I'm going to buy an older figure, I usually prefer it to be out of packaging, because at least then you can confirm that the plastic is actually in good condition.

In some cases, depending on material, it doesn't matter where the toys were stored, they just aren't meant to last unfortunately.

Cpt Red 3eard

"...curious to hear what popular companies that applies to."

Without digging through specific examples, Safari LTD, Schleich, and Mattel off the top of my head. Do they have some good apps? Sure do! But some of their figures just don't interest me with the color choices and 'cheapness' of the paint apps.

I get collecting items in-box. I tend to display mine out of box, but if the box adds to the presentation, I'll keep it MISB. I've got a few old JP/TLW figures that I display in the packaging. I'm not a speculator, I collect to collect. My comment was more for the people who have so many figures that they have to keep them in storage.

Giganotosaurus

I like the 2015 Hasbro Jurassic World line, despite the faults. I still have:

The two normal sized T Rex's
The T Rex chomper
The Spino chomper
The Allosaurus chomper
The Indominus chomper
The Mosasaurus
The Ceratosaurus
The Blue with gear on
The Pachy
The big Indominus
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Halichoeres

Quote from: Eatmycar on December 31, 2022, 08:43:15 PMHot take:

I do not understand the 1:18 sauropod obsession.

I'm not a home owner, I live in a big city so space is at a premium, so I suppose maybe I have a bias here, but I simply don't get the obsession with 1:18 scale sauropods. I say this as someone with two Hammond rexes, a good amount of the BoTM ceratopsians, and a fair investment in Mattel's 1:18 articulated line.

The reviews of the 1:18 BoTM rex show people struggling to pivot and manipulate it. The reviews of Mattel's sauropods constantly go on and on about how big the damned thing is. How much space it takes up. It's easily bigger than many house pets.

Yet constantly I see people requesting 1:18 sauropods from BoTM or hoping for more from Mattel. I don't get it. How is it realistic for a toy company to keep making these things? How many people can house for long-term such giants? What do you do with these things that can't be dismantled?

These cost a lot of money to be produced. That cost comes from somewhere. Mattel is a big company and subsidizes it by shirking on other parts of the line. BoTM has to charge extraordinary amounts up-front.

Do people not realize how unsustainable and outlandish these things are? I suppose its a testament to the real animals and their immense size, but I'm frankly tired of giant sauropods being expected when six years ago nobody would even take that idea seriously.

I have a couple of 1:18 sauropods (Mattel's Dreadnoughtus, PNSO's Huanghetitan, Playskool's Ultrasaurus), and in all 3 cases I would prefer they were half the size or less. If anyone makes smaller versions I will trade these in in a heartbeat. I also live in an apartment in a city, and while I've found ways to shoehorn these guys in, it's a challenge and I wouldn't specifically want more like this. I'm imagining the palatial McMansions that some collectors must have to want a whole collection of 1:18 giants, or maybe off-site storage lockers where you own them, sure, but can't remotely enjoy them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dusty Wren

I kind of assumed that most of the people who say they want 1:18 sauropods aren't actually going to buy them. They think it would be cool for 1:18 sauropod figures to exist out there in the world, and they like the idea that they could buy them, if they had the money and space. They'd probably also enjoy watching someone else unbox a 1:18 sauropod on YouTube. But a lot of these folks would never purchase the product if you pinned them down about it.

tl;dr: There's a big gap between what people say they want on the internet and what they actually pay money for.
Check out my customs thread!

suspsy

Me, I never advocate for the creation of prehistoric products that I wouldn't actually be willing or able to purchase. It's why the only PNSO products I yearn for anymore are more miniatures. The larger toys are just too expensive to justify.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

The bigger figures aren't super hard to display, my collection generally takes up my basement, hardly dinos are allowed past that point thanks to the rest of my family that lives here.  They are a bit difficult to dust around or sweep but that's all. That said anything larger say 4' is going to have to outdoors or become a seat.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2023, 02:47:49 AMThe bigger figures aren't super hard to display, my collection generally takes up my basement, hardly dinos are allowed past that point thanks to the rest of my family that lives here.  They are a bit difficult to dust around or sweep but that's all. That said anything larger say 4' is going to have to outdoors or become a seat.

That is one unbelievably cute and very impressive "seat"!  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on January 13, 2023, 02:44:28 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2023, 02:47:49 AMThe bigger figures aren't super hard to display, my collection generally takes up my basement, hardly dinos are allowed past that point thanks to the rest of my family that lives here.  They are a bit difficult to dust around or sweep but that's all. That said anything larger say 4' is going to have to outdoors or become a seat.

That is one unbelievably cute and very impressive "seat"!  ^-^

it really is lol It would be great for our Dino Park but the price is prohibitive..

Stegotyranno420

Safari Ltd's best year was 2017.
2018 was great too.
2019 was decent, nice.
2020 was not of my taste and thats when i feel like all the models start to "mix into eachother"
2021 was decent, but undiverse
2022 was lovely and innovative, but wierdly scheduled.
All respect to the sculptor. Most of the poor details of the figures are not their fault, as their models, all of them, are well sculpted. Some just havent aged well with the mass production. Others are just not in my taste(like most of 2020)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I don't think that controversial. Safari Ltd did peak in the 2017 to 2019 in quality, as much as I live the Deinonychus and several other they seem to have dropped a little after that point.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 24, 2023, 08:19:19 PMI don't think that controversial. Safari Ltd did peak in the 2017 to 2019 in quality, as much as I live the Deinonychus and several other they seem to have dropped a little after that point.
IMO, I don't know that the quality has dropped, but rather that they tackled most of the very popular big sellers in the 2017-19 period. Not that the post 2019 ones have been poor - far from it. I'm optimistic about 2023.

Jose S.M.

I really don't think quality has dropped regarding sculpts or even paintjobs. With some exceptions paint job has never been their strongest point, not that it's bad just simple enough to retain a very affordable price. Their strength is accuracy and fine detail for me as Doug's sculpts are notable for those. What I do see is a lack of diversity in their color palette. I'm sure that some figures that have been criticized would have been better received of they have more interesting patterns.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

It's more that with the exception of the Baryonyx, the figures released since then looks rounder and more toysish like the older Carnegies. whereas the 2017,18,19 ones look more like the newer Carnegies in my opinion. I still like them, but they just feel and look different.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx I agree, though post carnegie safari has its own "exotic(?)" X factor that Carnegie lacked

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: