News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

love the story avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro and congrats again. you are among the fortunate ones.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ceratopsian

I'm so pleased for you, avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro!  And what an excellent idea to contact ED re posting - such nice (and competent!) people.

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 09, 2021, 07:32:30 PM
Quote from: BrontoScorpio on August 09, 2021, 03:06:17 PM
I don't speak Portuguese  - But, it's a tradition that when ever someone is able to put his hands on that bbc WWD Toyway 'Ornithocheirus'  - he must tell the complete story of How, when and where ...

Sure thing. My story is not as thrilling as the other forum members who have it I guess. I sure wanna tell you that I found it in a lost chinasaur lot on eBay or some obscure website for 10 pounds, but that is not the case.
Since I heard of its existance back in 2008 on the Old DTF, I started hunting one down frequently, with little hope of finding it, as we all were. Then Vlad sold his on eBay at the time, but the starting price of 500 usd was way out of my reach, back then. After that I kept my weekly searches on eBay with no luck whatsoever, unlike forum members Invicta Hunter, UK who found theirs on cheap lots. I even offered to buy one of the copies Invicta Hunter has, since he has multiples, but understandably he is not looking to sell at the momment. So I kept looking.

Then forum member Doedicurious found his copy on Facebook Marketplace for very cheap and posted about this luck of finding one of the most wanted models just a week after he started collecting, something he was not really looking for. I told him that if he ever wanted to sell his copy in the future, to let me know. I made a fair offer back in december 2020 I guess. Never heard of him since. Then a few weeks ago he contacted me willing to sell it. Simple as that.

I was more than happy to buy his copy, with help from the folks at Everything Dinosaur. Since Doedicurious was reluctant to deal with shipping to Brazil, I asked Sue from ED to help me, offered to pay any fees they might feel the need to charge for their services. Of course, being the awesome people they are, they only charged me for shipping and packing materials.

After that I waited for 11 long anxious days (what's that near the 11 years I have been waiting for it, right?) while the Ornitho migrated back from Europe to his hunting grounds in Brazil  ;D

PS: regarding the video I posted, it's a simple figure review talking about the accuracies and innacuracies of the model, details, paint etc. I did not go into how I got it, because I am way too prolific when talking and the video would be an hour long. I'll do another video to tell the story later.

Duna

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 09, 2021, 07:40:15 PM
Thanks Duna. By the way, forgot to post here. I received the Legacy Spinosaurus from your friend Fernando a few days ago. Thanks to your help I now have it in my collection!  :))
You are welcome! I'm so glad you got the Spinosaurus!  ^-^

Faelrin

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro Wow that's amazing they came back to you to offer it to you. I'm so glad for you, and to have it returned to the original animal's place of origin is so special too. Once again congrats.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

That's a cool story indeed, avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro. I didn't even know the Ornithocheirus figure existed until I saw people talking about it right here, so it's exiting to see more "news" pop up! I'll try to be sure to watch your video.

Look who arrived at my door yesterday! Isn't he cute?

...No? Is it just me?
Anyway, Oakley the Opabinia is here from Paleo Pals, and he's great. He's even bigger than I expected, probably a couple of inches longer than Dusty the Diplocaulus. He's a splendid addition to a plushie collection.

Duna

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 10, 2021, 04:58:47 PM
Anyway, Oakley the Opabinia is here from Paleo Pals, and he's great. He's even bigger than I expected, probably a couple of inches longer than Dusty the Diplocaulus. He's a splendid addition to a plushie collection.
Wow, how can a plushie be so wonderfully done? Congrats, it's very detailed and lovable, too.  :)

Faelrin

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Congrats on having yours show up. It's such an amazing plushie.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

Quote from: Duna on August 10, 2021, 05:53:40 PM
Wow, how can a plushie be so wonderfully done? Congrats, it's very detailed and lovable, too.  :)
Well, it's pretty big and expensive, honestly. Sometimes I'm shocked at how much higher-end stuffed animals cost.
Hopefully this one will be available for regular purchase on the company's main site in the near future.

Duna

I just received yesterday one of my most anticipated purchases of this year ... thanks to J @japfeif
I was about to buy the first book from him (since I love Marx and others) but when I learned he was about to publish a new book on other collections, I made the wise decision of waiting for it and getting both books. And there are they just in time for my holidays. I've just browsed them a bit and I think they are superb, a must have if you like these vintage little collections or just if you want to learn about the beggining of dinosaur toys in the hobby. We have to be very thankful of those who started that in the 50s.
It includes a part decicated to Invicta and Larami, so there are not only little figures. I really liked the Sinclair part (I had to read it, I couldn't resist!). So thank you Jeff Pfeiffer for all your magnific job you have done to compilate that information and thank you too for your signature on the books!  ^-^ The Marx figures were also a purchase from him, as I wanted to have at least 2 complete Marx sets, including the original and revised molds, and those were the ones I needed.

I also bought this set of Sinclair dinosaurs and avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon is the culprit. Yeah, he wrote such a lovely review of the Sinclair trachodon that I felt deeply in love deeply with it. As a fan of vintage plastic monochrome collections, I knew about Sinclair recently, but I didn't realise until that review that the Trachodon is an absolute wonder, even more appealing that the Marx. And that clay colour, and that feel! :o I almost could felt the softness of the plastic while looking at the pictures (I love and spend a lot of time handling these collections  ^-^). So I firmly decided I wanted a Trachodon in that very same clay colour, and I saw on eBay that Mike from PT had this set on sale. It had also the brontosaurus in green as I wanted, too! I couldn't miss that oportunity. It's very difficult for me to buy items from the US.
I learned that they came with a booklet, so I looked for the booklet on eBay and I found it wasn't expensive at all, so I bought one, too. It arrived the same day as the figures, and it's marvellous, too. The illustrations are so nice and they are just the same as the figures of the collection and the fair.

I can't say which is my favourite vintage collection of all. But surely LINDE is one of them. And this time is avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar 's fault I got engaged in this collection.  ::) He sent me two figures, the Dimetrodon and the Triceratops (because they looked nice and I thought it was ok to have a small representation of the collection), and when I had them in my hands I knew that I had made a big mistake ... because I wanted more. And WHAT A FEEL! :o They are incredible, there is no other collection with such a lovely pleasant waxy feel. You can't explain until you have one in your hands, you just can't leave them.
I knew the Ramphorrynchus was the rarest, but I was lucky to bought it very cheap. I had to search through Austrian sellers because that collection was exclusive to that country and I finally completed the collection, though I also bought another one complete set from Mike.
These figures have everything to be highly desirable: they are one of the oldest collections (this little figures are about 70 years old!), they are few, only 8, so having 4 or so makes half the collection! They are all faithful representations of Zallinger's mural, and that was the first dinosaur picture I've ever seen in my life in a book when I was a child. They are a piece of history and are wonderfully sculpted. All figures are different, there is no one like each other, as they are made of marbled plastic. Each one is unique and special. And above all, the tyrannosaurus is one of my most appreciated figures of my collection. It's like looking at the one in the mural in 3D. That chunky boy is charming.

And thanks also to avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx for selling me his Invicta painted Liopleurodon. It's in perfect condition. One of the best Invicta figures that also wins a lot in painted version, too, with that subtle paint scheme.

Reuben03

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

japfeif

Quote from: Duna on August 11, 2021, 07:16:58 PM
I just received yesterday one of my most anticipated purchases of this year ... thanks to J @japfeif
I was about to buy the first book from him (since I love Marx and others) but when I learned he was about to publish a new book on other collections, I made the wise decision of waiting for it and getting both books. And there are they just in time for my holidays. I've just browsed them a bit and I think they are superb, a must have if you like these vintage little collections or just if you want to learn about the beggining of dinosaur toys in the hobby. We have to be very thankful of those who started that in the 50s.
It includes a part decicated to Invicta and Larami, so there are not only little figures. I really liked the Sinclair part (I had to read it, I couldn't resist!). So thank you Jeff Pfeiffer for all your magnific job you have done to compilate that information and thank you too for your signature on the books!  ^-^ The Marx figures were also a purchase from him, as I wanted to have at least 2 complete Marx sets, including the original and revised molds, and those were the ones I needed.

Wow, thanks so much Elena for both the purchase AND the kind words! It's always great to be able to help others who are in this hobby and if someone gets a bit of knowledge or info from my books that is useful to them that's wonderful!!!!!

Funny thing...the Sinclair chapter was almost an afterthought....I'd written it earlier as a stand-lone book (albeit a small one!) but hadn't published yet because I wanted to finish the other book first, and kind of at the last minute I decided not to have the Sinclair chapter as a separate book (which was the original idea), but to include it in the new book. That's why its layout & content is slightly of a different "feel" than the rest of the book! But it would have been a fairly small book on its own and I think it more "fits" in this new book with the other stuff  :)

And incidentally...the Invicta chapter was sort of last-minute as well! I had the book finished and someone mentioned on a message board if Invicta was going to be included, and I decided to include them, even though they are quite a bit bigger (usually) than the other dinos covered in the book! But then I decided the Invictas are a nice transition between the old style monochrome plastic figures and the newer painted PVC-ish dinos of Safari, et. al.

And yes, the Linde dinos are some of my favorites also! Funny thing about them is, they look so fragile and I always assumed they were, until I got a set and then I found they are pretty sturdy! Love the Old School Zallinger-inspired Tyrannosaurus the best!

Thanks again!!
Jeff Pfeiffer

Duna

You're welcome, J @japfeif ! I think both decisions (to include such a vast information about Sinclair and the Invicta as a transition) have been so great. By the way thank you for the explanation on both (though I think you treat that more deeply in your introduction on the book, so I'll start with that soon. :)

And yes, Linde are very sturdy! The rare thing is to find one damaged (only biting could do that), as they are most as perfect as the first day, they even don't get scratches easily ... One can't believe they are about 70 years old and such in good condition.

ceratopsian

Congratulations avatar_Duna @Duna! I can hear your pleasure so clearly!

Libraraptor

The recent posts with the Ornithocheirus and all those Duna's acquisitions,  were really fun to read!  Congrats,  everyone!

Fembrogon

Aaaaaah, that's an awesome haul, avatar_Duna @Duna! Thanks for the kind words, too; I'm glad to hear that review was profitable (I intend to do more, btw).  ;D Congratulations on nabbing all six of them together; I'm still hunting for the Brontosaurus.
I'll vouch for the praise on J @japfeif's 1st book; it's an engrossing and informative read, so I'm excited to read the second one when mine arrives. Those Linde figures look lovely, too; the coloration reminds me of the Nabisco figures with their subtle patterns like carved stone. Beautiful stuff all around!

AcroSauroTaurus

It's been a while... nothing too interesting recently, but in case any of you thought I was dead: ::)

Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous Spinosaurus

Jurassic World Slash N' Battle Scorpios Rex

Jurassic World Legacy Tyrannosaurus Escape
I am the Dinosaur King!

SidB

avatar_AcroSauroTaurus @AcroSauroTaurus , it does seem that you are "with us"! Congrats on the acquisitions.

Halichoeres

Congrats, avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro, that's an impressive get.

And avatar_Duna @Duna, some really cool stuff there. The Linde figures were really well done for the time, and yes, remarkably durable.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

My turn for book time! More Dinosaur Playets & Figures just arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do any more than glimpse at it, but I'm excited to start digging through it soon!

Gwangi

I'm really ashamed of myself for not getting those books yet, I better get on it. Congrats avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: