News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK

Quote from: Duna on January 19, 2022, 09:44:48 PM
Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 19, 2022, 09:19:54 PM
Quote from: Duna on January 19, 2022, 08:47:27 PM
With all my mastodonsaurus figures. The Starlux on the right ...
A mastodonsaurus figures venue is never complete without the Bullyland one ...
Yes, won't mind buying it because mastodonsaurus is one of my favourite species. Maybe some day I'll be lucky to find it cheaper.
p.s.
Quotehttp://Are you sure this litle jem is a Resin cast ? - it looks to me more like some sort of clay made.
Yep, it was stated as resin in the add, and now in hand I can confirm it's resin indeed, and it's a cast (it has a seam line but very well disguised and a mold pour hole on the belly). The sculptor has another one on sale (and at least other in the picture because you can see a bit of the tail), they are all made from the same mold as mine:

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 19, 2022, 09:28:49 PM
avatar_Duna @Duna If he's casting an Ambulocetus I would surely buy one. Can you ask if he'd make more than one?
Sure, I'll ask him. When he makes the mold he could probably cast another one.

Looks great, how much is the seller asking for?

Thanks

Duna

Quote from: UK on January 19, 2022, 10:10:47 PM
Looks great, how much is the seller asking for?

Thanks
Are you refering to the mastodonsaurus, aren't you? He asks 15€ (12,5 GBP). The ambulocetus will cost probably twice that.

PD: It's already sold, and the second model, too. That is as gorgeous as the other, by the way.

need4swede

- Swede

JohannesB

Quote from: need4swede on January 23, 2022, 07:48:33 AM
Chungkingosaurus
by PNSO

Beautiful model by PNSO. I have it too, and I love it. It really has character and presence. And the hollow vinyl means you can have a relatively cheap model that is huge!  8)

Fembrogon

I picked up some more JW dinos yesterday morning. I don't dislike the old Carcharodontosaurus color scheme, but I'm liking the new one more, so I'll just resell my first one.
The two herbivores are pretty cool, although I wish the Penta could lock its head somehow. The Kent's action gimmick also seems backwards, considering it's a stegosaur. They're both nicely done figures, though.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Duna @Duna  My congratulations on your mastodonsaurus, it is very similar to the one in Bullyland, is it perhaps a repaint? I've missed a lot of things since my operation.

avatar_need4swede @need4swede  My congratulations on your vinyl chungkingosaurus it's huge that figure is in my case the biggest stegosaurus figure I have in my collection.

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon  My congratulations for your new JP/JW figures, there are many members of DTF, so I see as your lovers of that collection of dinosaur figures that are among the most varied that exist in the toy dinosaur market.

Duna

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 26, 2022, 01:34:24 PM
avatar_Duna @Duna  My congratulations on your mastodonsaurus, it is very similar to the one in Bullyland, is it perhaps a repaint? I've missed a lot of things since my operation
Hi Shoni, I'm glad you are back again! Hope you recover well from your operation.
The Bullyland version is larger and has a larger head and doesn't have the ridges on the back.

Fembrogon

New vintage haul! This time it's primarily MPC:

(A couple of Marxes and I think a Winneco were snuck into the lot as well)

While I'm not planning to hold onto all of these, I can now say I have at least one representative of every prehistoric genus MPC produced. Once again, I am struck by the oddity of how a company from 50+ years ago managed to produce toys of unique genera such as the Dire Wolf and Ceratogaulus - and no one else has produced toys of them since.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 27, 2022, 09:40:41 PM
New vintage haul! This time it's primarily MPC:

(A couple of Marxes and I think a Winneco were snuck into the lot as well)

While I'm not planning to hold onto all of these, I can now say I have at least one representative of every prehistoric genus MPC produced. Once again, I am struck by the oddity of how a company from 50+ years ago managed to produce toys of unique genera such as the Dire Wolf and Ceratogaulus - and no one else has produced toys of them since.

Those are very cool.  Would you post close up photos of the sabertooth and the mammoth? 

Fembrogon

Sure, avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus! I was thinking I might do a full photo catalog of these figures for my collection thread soon, so I'll see what/when I can do.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations for all your new vintage figures, these figures are curious compared to the sophisticated figures of today, honestly, vintage figures enrich the collection of toy dinosaurs. What I see is that you buy many repeated figures, I suppose it is because you want to have herds of each species of prehistoric animal For example doedicurus from MPC.

JohannesB

Not at all happy with this expensive purchase. The figure is certainly NOT solid material, because on one side there is a clear dent in the figure, and when tapping it, there is a clear difference in sound where there is a hollow behind the plastic 'skin' (on the left side). The neck too, I am almost sure, does not seem to me to be solid, but hollow, sturdy plastic. Oh sure, it is heavy, but it feels like the body of this model is molded hollow, and filled up with some kind of material. I have seen pictures and reviews by other people where there were the same kind of 'defects' or even worse, like uneven, 'caved in' sides. It looks lopsided. Maybe I am being overly critical, but it is not worth $100 (nearer $200 including shipping and taxes!), in my opinion. I regret buying it  >:(  If I were rich enough and as such couldn't care less about losing $100 or even $200 I might even perform an autopsy, just for fun, cutting it in half to see what it's innards look like and prove it to all of you.

Lopsided?:

A clear indent/hollow, seen straight from behind (it even sounds hollow when you tap it):

A sagging of the rib cage (on the left side):

A healthy, round rib cage (on the right side):

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: JohannesB on January 28, 2022, 03:50:57 PM
Not at all happy with this expensive purchase. The figure is NOT solid material, because on one side there is a clear dent in the figure, and when tapping it, there is a clear difference in sound where there is a hollow behind the plastic 'skin' (on the left side). The neck too, I am almost sure, does not seem to me to be solid, but hollow, sturdy plastic. Oh sure, it is heavy, but it feels like the body of this model is molded hollow, and filled up with some kind of material. I have seen pictures and reviews by other people where there were the same kind of 'defects', like uneven, 'caved in' sides. It looks lopsided. Maybe I am being overly critical, but it is not worth $100 (nearer $200 including shipping and taxes!), in my opinion. I regret buying it  >:(  If I were rich enough and as such couldn't care less about losing $100 or even $200 I might even perform an autopsy, just for fun, cutting it in half to see what it's innards look like and prove it to all of you.

Lopsided?:

A clear indent/hollow, seen straight from behind (it even sounds hollow when you tap it):

The way I interpret the difference is the sculptor giving life to the figure by showing how the weight would shift side to side as it took a step, all large animals have this, elephants, cows, etc... it's just gravity and I'm impressed that the person making this thought to give it such a natural look.  I have the Eofauna Altasaurus and it's belly bulges a bit more to one side as it's weight is shifting while it walks, it's one of the things that makes it look so life like.

Fembrogon

These fellas just arrived from AliExpress today; I've been curious about the world of dino plushies recently, and these two were on sale as a set. Dilophosaurus is probably my favorite dinosaur, so I'm tickled to find more new and interesting items representing it on the market.

JohannesB

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 28, 2022, 05:43:26 PM
Quote from: JohannesB on January 28, 2022, 03:50:57 PMNot at all happy with this expensive purchase. The figure is NOT solid material, because on one side there is a clear dent in the figure, and when tapping it, there is a clear difference in sound where there is a hollow behind the plastic 'skin' (on the left side). The neck too, I am almost sure, does not seem to me to be solid, but hollow, sturdy plastic. Oh sure, it is heavy, but it feels like the body of this model is molded hollow, and filled up with some kind of material. I have seen pictures and reviews by other people where there were the same kind of 'defects', like uneven, 'caved in' sides. It looks lopsided. Maybe I am being overly critical, but it is not worth $100 (nearer $200 including shipping and taxes!), in my opinion. I regret buying it  >:(  If I were rich enough and as such couldn't care less about losing $100 or even $200 I might even perform an autopsy, just for fun, cutting it in half to see what it's innards look like and prove it to all of you.

The way I interpret the difference is the sculptor giving life to the figure by showing how the weight would shift side to side as it took a step, all large animals have this, elephants, cows, etc... it's just gravity and I'm impressed that the person making this thought to give it such a natural look.  I have the Eofauna Altasaurus and it's belly bulges a bit more to one side as it's weight is shifting while it walks, it's one of the things that makes it look so life like.

Nice excuse :P But I don't think it really holds water, because I sense a clear hollow space beneath the left side of the figure (which is most certainly NOT present on the right side. There is a clear sagging in the place where the bones would be, and the bones don't sag this much when walking. This feels like a hollow figure that was (partly) filled with some material to make it seem solid. I even hear a slight creaking sound when I feel on the tail, like materials (outer plastic shell against filler material?) rubbing against each other. (This in itself does not deduce from the relatively high quality of the figure, it is just a thing to prove a point.) I could only prove it by destroying it, so I can't :-\

Some pictures of another defective figure I found on eBay:

Edit: I got confirmation that the figure is indeed hollow, and just partly filled up to make it heavier. Why they would do that, I don't know. Anyhow, I read that the material for the neck and legs is PVC, and the torso is made of vinyl, with filling resin. Mine was not filled properly, I think.

paintingdinos

This is the impression I got too. A large animal shifting its weight to one side. The neck was at an angle in pictures and in video reviews so that's certainly how it was designed.

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Those are very cute! Interesting to see a plush version without a frill.

JohannesB

Quote from: paintingdinos on January 28, 2022, 08:01:09 PM

This is the impression I got too. A large animal shifting its weight to one side. The neck was at an angle in pictures and in video reviews so that's certainly how it was designed.

I might just choose to believe that, and the figure will grow on me a bit more. I still think you are not correct, though. But isn't it the definition of delusional when one thinks one is right, while assuming that the rest of the world is wrong? :P But before any police or men in white coats come and pay me a visit here, I will certainly stop now, because this is not a W-Dragon discussion thread.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: JohannesB on January 28, 2022, 08:23:57 PM
Quote from: paintingdinos on January 28, 2022, 08:01:09 PM

I might just choose to believe that, and the figure will grow on me a bit more. I still think you are not correct, though. But isn't it the definition of delusional when one thinks one is right, while assuming that the rest of the world is wrong? :P But before any police or men in white coats come and pay me a visit here, I will certainly stop now, because this is not a W-Dragon discussion thread.

Sounds like something about this dinosaur figure has given you some buyers remorse?  FWIW, and coming from someone that doesn't collect or know much about sauropods and I'm just just going off of your posted images here but looks like a really impressive piece to me!  That being said, I've never owned anything that expensive and if you have before, then you know better than I what's to be expected from a figure that costs that much.  I honestly wouldn't have a clue.  The most expensive figure I've purchased I think was my altasaurus (I want to collect all the Eofauna) I think I bought it on sale for around $44.99 before shipping so like $60 altogether and I'm very happy with it.

need4swede

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 28, 2022, 12:11:32 AM
Sure, avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus! I was thinking I might do a full photo catalog of these figures for my collection thread soon, so I'll see what/when I can do.

Excited to see it - those look really cool! Thanks for sharing

Quote from: JohannesB on January 28, 2022, 08:23:57 PM
I might just choose to believe that, and the figure will grow on me a bit more.

avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB Been wanting to get one of these myself. Looks fine to me, but to each their own. If you get sick of it, let me know - would rather buy it from one of you lot than elsewhere.
- Swede

JohannesB

Quote from: need4swede on January 29, 2022, 01:51:44 AM
Quote from: JohannesB on January 28, 2022, 08:23:57 PMI might just choose to believe that, and the figure will grow on me a bit more.

avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB Been wanting to get one of these myself. Looks fine to me, but to each their own. If you get sick of it, let me know - would rather buy it from one of you lot than elsewhere.

I want to get rid of it sooner than later, I think. The quality control on my piece was not the best.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: