News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 25, 2022, 06:13:22 PM
Another eBay box arrived:

I never owned any Larami toys as a kid myself, but I remember friends or family members owning some, so I do retain a touch of nostalgia for them. Obviously these aren't as nice as the Invictas they imitate, but as a complete boxed set I thought this would make a neat item for the collection (and maybe a decent future review piece?). I'll have to tidy it up first, though.

Very cool, my wife gave me a box like this for christmas. I am always stunned at how many different paint schemes These cheap Invicta knockoffs had.

Fembrogon

There does seem to be quite a variety! I would say these are easily among the better-looking variants.
Update on the set, by the way: I kind of took the box apart. :o Although the box had never officially been opened, it was weathered and worn enough that it was full of cobwebs and gritty dirt that had seeped in through the cracks. I ended up opening the box on both ends, vacuuming it out, wiping it out, and THEN even tearing off the plastic window because of the grime that had collected around the edges. The figures themselves, thankfully, were fine with a little dusting, as were the poster and diorama pieces inside. The box is mostly salvageable as well, apart from the window. It's a neat set, even as a knockoff product.

A couple more shots, featuring the back of the box and the pieces inside:

It turns out that wasn't the only arrival, either; the rest of my eBay boxes came in later that day!

One package consisted mostly of the Safari Authentics pictured in front, whereas most of the other figures were included in the second. A lot of the figures will probably be resold; but for about $30 per lot between these and the last from the other day, I'd say it was worth it just for a select few items featured:

These three are the big prizes. It's funny, I was just commenting in my Bestiary thread how I wasn't expecting my Invicta collection to grow anymore in the near future, and now here I am with my first painted variant. The two Battats were complete surprises as well; I have to assume they were only available for so cheap due to damage and balancing issues. They're both very welcome additions all the same, though.
As for the Safari Authentics, I probably don't need/want as many as I've acquired now; but I'm trying to sort out how many of mine are legit variants as opposed to highly-accurate knockoffs. I should write a post for the Authentics thread sometime very soon.

Roselaar

Oh wow, I just love that Larami boxart! It's so delightfully retro.
Also, purple T-Rex, I approve! :)

Duna

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 27, 2022, 12:22:16 AM
These three are the big prizes. It's funny, I was just commenting in my Bestiary thread how I wasn't expecting my Invicta collection to grow anymore in the near future, and now here I am with my first painted variant. The two Battats were complete surprises as well; I have to assume they were only available for so cheap due to damage and balancing issues. They're both very welcome additions all the same, though.
Hehehe ... all starts with a painted Invicta, they are little works of art. By the way I think the stegosaurus has the most striking paint scheme (not one of my favourites though) but yours looks very well painted (they tend to be sloppy in the plates). I started with a painted Triceratops, and yes, no hurry and don't worry, they keep appearing here and there even in cheap lots.

Those Larami in box are a nice prize, too. I like that paint variation a lot, but that panoramic cardboard is amazing!

Shonisaurus

What a loot! Honestly, Larami's figures are quite attractive, they have a curious touch of paint. On the other hand, you have been lucky when it comes to getting Invicta and Battat figures in that lot that include figures from a vintage company like Invicta and two from the Battat brand, which is quite interesting.

Thialfi

Wooow, great acquisitions! Love that Larami stuff. Delightfully retro indeed, that box.

My most recent babies:

So happy with all of them, I keep taking them from my shelves, posing them with all kinds of different figures and flora. Great start for CollectA this year.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi  My congratulations on your new acquisitions. All Collecta figures look great, the cooperoceras is even better than the promotional photos. You are lucky to have those beauties from Collecta I like all the figures you have acquired especially the edmontosaurus and pteranodon they look magnificent.

Concavenator

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi congrats on the new CollectAs!

I got these 2 Eofauna gems today:

I know you´ve already seen a ton of pics of these by now, but if you want to see even more, there are more pics in my collection thread.

Carnoking

I also pulled the trigger a while back on some CollectA figures I had been eyeing. A lot of them are new to the collection but a handful I had at one time and found myself regretting I ever parted with.

Spoiler

I got the Estemmenosuchus a while back but parted with it as part of a trade. I found myself missing it in recent months.

The Dimorphodon was the first of their large Pterosaurs I ever got but again I let it go as part of a trade. Nice to have such a big, beautiful figure back.

I also had the Bajadasaurus. To be frank, I never much cared for the color on this one but since no one has bothered producing another version of it just yet, I decided to give it another shot. Of course, that comes after the recent study posted on the potential return of the connected neck sail on the related Amargasaurus.

And finally, the Xenoceratops returns. I know CollectA is infamous for "warpaint" on their figures, but this is one where I think it works really well.

I think the Nasutoceratops is another decent example of where it works. I went ahead and threw this one in because I actually don't have a model of the species (I never much cared for the paint job on Safari's).

And on that note, I also got the Edaphosaurus. Another popular critter I strangely didn't have a model of. I think it's because I was holding out for the Bullyland offering to come my way but that's probably a pipe dream.

Also got the recent Mamenchisaurus, Pteranodon, and Kamuysaurus. These three really piqued my interest last year but I just never got around to getting them until now.

And speaking of their big pterosaurs, I also got their Guidraco and Caiuajara seeing how much I enjoyed their big Dimorphodon.

But the real standout to me was the beautiful, new Edmontosaurus. Surprised by how much I love this figure!

[close]

Shonisaurus

Concavenator. My congratulations on your two new acquisitions. Indeed, the figures of Eofauna are authentic gems.

carnoking I am very happy about your massive purchase of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals from Collecta. Collecta combines high quality and low prices. On the other hand, the edmontosaurus is huge, it makes a very good team with its Safari counterpart. I hope in my case to get it in the near future. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Lynx

Birthday haul!
Really excited about this one, starting to make me feel a bit better now  :D

Click to make larger
An oversized house cat.

Fembrogon

Lovely selection there! It's hard to go wrong with Safari and BotM, in my experience.

Duna

I've wished to have this figure for a long long time. ^-^ But it was so expensive ... I was "ok" to buy the cheaper Collecta paraceratherium this year, but ... I thought it was too small (Paraceratherium has to be LARGE) and not very happy about the snout (I prefer rhino lip), but oh ok .... And then, this oportunity came direct from heaven at half its price, box included. It was still expensive, but then I realised it was only less than 15€ more than I was planning to spend in the Collecta. I couldn't let it pass. This lovely figure was originally bought in avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur (without the base) by a French collector, so it has travelled a lot!
More pics and info in my collection thread.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Fantastic model and sculpt! You defintely got a great deal at half the price. This thing is huuuge - you could probably use this as a guard dog  ;D

Duna

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on March 31, 2022, 09:39:33 PM
Fantastic model and sculpt! You defintely got a great deal at half the price. This thing is huuuge - you could probably use this as a guard dog  ;D
I plan to use it to rest my feet on it.  ;D ;D

ceratopsian

Well done - a good bargain.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your purchase. You have dealings with the devil metaphorically speaking when it comes to finding bargains for the online figure trade, I'm happy for you. It's good that you have the iToy paraceratherium. I would buy it today even if my finances were not with me like it was years ago with the PNSO tsintaosaurus. Highly recommended figure.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Flaffy

Received this a month or two ago, custom painted Safari ltd Psittacosaurus courtesy of Martin Garratt! The colour scheme is heavily based on Robert Nicholls' Psittacosaurus reconstructions, and Martin expertly captured its likeness to perfection. I really love this figure, and is one of my favourites in my entire collection now. Just goes to show how Doug's sculpts can absolutely shine when a proper coat of paint is applied. :o

Martin was kind enough to include physical changes to the model as well! Psittacosaurus's prominent patagium, along with it's lobed and highly-pigmented cloaca are present on the customised figure. Maybe one day PNSO will finally include a Psittacosaurus in their collection, but until that day comes, I believe this here is one of the most accurate Psittacosaurus plastic figures out there.

Thank you Martin Garrat & Marilyn Price for this wonderful piece, and another thank you to avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian for guiding me through the commission process! ;D

Duna

What a cool little masterpiece, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy congrats!  :o The patagium looks fantastic, indeed.

This Invicta painted ichthyosaurus arrived a few days ago, and I have to very thankful to J @japfeif that helped me to get it as I couldn't buy it directly from the US seller. He knows how much I wanted to get this figure, one of my only two painted figures missing. By the way, you can read a magnific chapter about Invicta figures (painted and unpainted and other interesting information) in his book More Dinosaurs Playsets and Figures. With lots of pictures, including the Invicta painted (which I loved to dream with - I browsed a lot of times those pages) but I thought I would never complete. And now only the blue whale left ... ^-^

The Invicta ichthyosaurus is one of the best figures in the collection along with the superb liopleurodon, and both of them look amazing in the monochrome plastic version. I must say that I like more the monochrome version of the Liopleurodon than the painted one, but in the case of the Ichthyosaurus I think the painted version looks very nice.
This figure is in very good condition and even has the original tag by Boley, as some Invicta painted figures were sold in US under the Nature World collection. More pictures in my collection thread.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: