News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizerd

Bigger is better with dino toys because you can get more detail in a larger model
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

SidB

Quote from: Lizerd on August 08, 2018, 01:38:19 PM
Bigger is better with dino toys because you can get more detail in a larger model

It's quite noticeable when comparing the 1/22 to 1/25 scale ceratopsians over against the 1/40  or smaller ones.

Lizerd

Definitely. I got the collecta spinosaurus walking and their mini toob 2, which had a spino. Comparably the bigger one had more detail. With size, you get more room, makes the model more real  :D
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 08, 2018, 03:41:13 AM
Quote from: Sim on August 07, 2018, 09:51:56 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 05, 2018, 03:16:49 PM
Maybe they are going to show more figures in another big batch later, like half and half. I would like to see they doing like half new species and half new versions of carnegies. If we count Citipati as Oviraptor all of the dinosaurs so far are new versions of carnegies, hopefully there is another totally new dinosaur.

It's funny, since before the Citipati was revealed I thought the Anzu was being made to fill the gap left by the Carnegie Oviraptor.  The Citipati might better fill that gap, as it's more closely related and it's from the same ecosystem, but it might still be a totally new species for Safari.  Both versions of the Carnegie Oviraptor represent the 100/42 oviraptorid.  This very well-known oviraptorid specimen currently doesn't have a scientific name and in the past has been referred to as both Oviraptor and Citipati.  If the Wild Safari Citipati represents the species Citipati osmolskae, then I think this would be the first time ever that this species has been made into a figure.  avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, would you be able to say what animal the Wild Safari Citipati represents?

I based mine on Citipati osmolskae.

Thanks avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson!

Kayakasaurus

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Lizerd

avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus  Thanks for putting the models side by side and to scale. The photo its very apparent how different each model is. The safari ltd one has a level of detail and realism that the others don't have.

Fembrogon

^ It definitely looks more naturally fleshed out than the other two. I happen to have those same figures, but while I like them both, Safari's/Watson's sculpt looks like it will - predictably - outclass them entirely.

On a different note, do we know what skin textures Camarasaurus (likely) had? If I were to have any reservations about the 2019 figure at this point, it's that it looks typically wrinkly and not finely scaled like some of Doug Watson's other sculpts.

Fembrogon

Well, the previews aren't technically done yet: two mythical creatures were just revealed yesterday by YouTuber Tuxx Toys.
Who knows? we might still see more dinos, etc.

Concavenator

avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus Can you please show us more pics of the Citipati? Specially it would be nice to see it compared to ,say, the Safari Velociraptor or Anzu  O:-)

A.Garcia

Things are looking great for upcoming Safari prehistorics. I am very happy about that Camarasaurus! Doug's rhinoceros style is apparent in the woolly rhino, so it should fit right in with its cousins.

John

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 10, 2018, 12:44:35 AM
^ It definitely looks more naturally fleshed out than the other two. I happen to have those same figures, but while I like them both, Safari's/Watson's sculpt looks like it will - predictably - outclass them entirely.

On a different note, do we know what skin textures Camarasaurus (likely) had? If I were to have any reservations about the 2019 figure at this point, it's that it looks typically wrinkly and not finely scaled like some of Doug Watson's other sculpts.
I would imagine that like most dinosaurs,the scales of Camarasaurus would be too small to really see individually in a model at 1/40 scale.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Jose S.M.

I tend to prefer scaly texture but in large sauropods case I don't think that wrinkly detracts from realism, it kind of looks nice on them for me.

Patrx

Quote from: John on August 10, 2018, 02:54:03 PM
I would imagine that like most dinosaurs,the scales of Camarasaurus would be too small to really see individually in a model at 1/40 scale.

Exactly. I'm not aware of any direct evidence for the texture of macronarian skin, but the most likely integument would seem to be tiny little reticulae, as with many other scaly dinosaurs. I think the wrinkly look is the right way to go in this case, sculpted reticulae would invariably be too big relative to the dinosaur itself.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Patrx on August 10, 2018, 03:38:35 PM
Quote from: John on August 10, 2018, 02:54:03 PM

Exactly. I'm not aware of any direct evidence for the texture of macronarian skin, but the most likely integument would seem to be tiny little reticulae, as with many other scaly dinosaurs. I think the wrinkly look is the right way to go in this case, sculpted reticulae would invariably be too big relative to the dinosaur itself.

Actually the paper I used to reconstruct the manus and pes does describe evidence of integument for Camarasaurus.

"Articulated bone sets of manus and pedes of Camarasaurus" Palaeontologia Electronica 2015
Skin Impressions
"Skin impressions are present in various
regions of specimen SMA 0002, including the
manus and pedes (Figure 3). The manual impression
is from the palmar side of the phalanges of the
second and the third digit and shows no distinct
characteristics concerning squamation of the integument.
It is preserved on a small slab that also
exhibits the negatives of the phm II-1 and phm III-1
(Figure 32). A light to dark gray layer is covering
the area of the impression. The minimum distance
between this layer and the negatives of the bones
is only 6 mm.
The skin impressions of the pes and the adjacent
parts of the hind legs exhibit two different patterns.
Both patterns are polygonal, mostly
hexagonal structures but they vary in size of their
polygons: the first texture consists of relatively
large fields with a flat surface measuring 15 to 18
mm in diameter, being arranged in rows. Their borders
are preserved as light gray lines (Figure 33.1).
The second pattern shows smaller tuberculate
structures with diameters of 6 to 10 mm, which are
not as obviously arranged in rows as in the one
above. The elements of the second texture are
available as positive and negative (Figure 33.2).
They have gently convex surfaces and are covered
by a very thin, dark, probably carbonaceous layer."

As you see the size of the largest polygons were only 18 mm in diameter and that would scale to 0.45 mm, I could be cheeky and say I put them in there and you need better eye sight to see them but I didn't. When I did my Apatosaurus I did put a pebbly surface on the skin as has been found on some diplodocids but no one reviewing it noticed.  :(

Patrx

Whoah, thanks for drawing my attention to that paper, that's fascinating stuff! I'll have to take a closer look at my Safari Apatosaurus, too.

DragonRider02

I want Krampus! Or Amphisbanea! I dreamed about it's toy as a kid. Chupacabra would be cool too.

Moodyraptor

Oh man, I absolutely love that Camarasaurus.  One of my favourite dinos, and I'm so pleased to see it getting some love, and it looks like an amazing model. 

Lizerd

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 11, 2018, 05:26:45 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 10, 2018, 08:43:18 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on August 10, 2018, 08:21:44 PM
Unfortunately I have never been asked to do any of the cryptids or mythical creatures but I would love to. I grew up on the mythical creatures in Ray Harryhausen films and was fascinated by bigfoot accounts after the Patterson film. I would have really enjoyed doing that bigfoot. As it is Safari Ltd always has more extant and extinct animals on their wish list than I have time to do in a year.

Well hopefully if they ever decide to do the cryptids based on prehistoric animals you'll be the go-to guy. Would be interesting to see your take on a deliberately outdated looking Mokele-mbembe or a Nessie complete with humps and horns.

After thinking about it I already get enough grief when one of my dinosaurs doesn't look the way someone else thinks it should look so maybe I will steer clear of cryptids unless I am doing them for myself.  ;)
I think its more fun to see someone get mad at a model being accurate than the model being more accurate  ;D (but accurate models are still amazing). So I say you can make as many cryptids as you want and share them here  :D  or anywhere, more the better. I know I would pay for a funny cryptid model  :D

Shadowknight1

That Earth Dragon is pretty darn neat!  I may have to try and pick that up!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

DinoToyForum

Whoa, you guys took things way off topic. Thread split: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7143.0  C:-)

Back to the new for 2019 Safari Ltd dinosaur toys...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: