News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

deleted

Doug Watson

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 13, 2018, 10:09:48 PM
Quote from: Lizerd on August 13, 2018, 10:07:34 PM
Huh that is weird. That is really weird...
You can put the @ symbol anywhere, then well this may or may not be great or actually useless
this will be using my name
1. @
2 avatar_Lizerd @Lizerd
     ILiizaelliesI
     ILizerd      I
3. Scroll until the name you want is highlighted
4. hit enter
Hope dat helps, or maybe the ghost of steve jobs is messing with you.

avatar_Lizerd @Lizerd okay that worked thanks, didn't work the last time I tried it.

Lizerd

Yay, so the ghost of Steve Jobs isn't messing with you!
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Doug Watson

Quote from: Flaffy on August 13, 2018, 02:27:29 PM
Question: Are the prestosuchus's fourth and fifth digits being clawed intentional or did the factory make a mistake like they did with Iguanodon's fifth digit by painting it with a claw?
Thanks!

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I contacted Dr Cesar L. Schultz, Instituto de Geociências, Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil who I had consulted with when I sculpted the Prestosuchus and I passed on your question which I assume was based on the YouTube review by avatar_TheRealBionicleSaurus @TheRealBionicleSaurus . I didn't originally ask him about the number of claws when I did the sculpt since the reference I had at the time showed that it did have five. But just in case I had misinterpreted the paper and other reference I have checked back with him.

With his permission I will present his response word for word so please excuse the all caps.

"I found this objection made by the reviewer somewhat strange, for the following reasons:

1) There is no complete Prestosuchus manus described (unless the reviewer knows something we do not know);
2) In Postosuchus, a rauisuchid very similar to Prestosuchus occurring in North Carolina, there are claws in all the fingers of the manus (although they are reduced - See attached plate);
3) There is no ichnologic evidence (Chirotherium footprints) indicating absence of claws on the mentioned fingers;

So I'm curious to know where the reviewer got this information!"

As for TheRealBionicleSaurus assertion that "all archosaurs have only three claws on the manus" again I quote.

"This feature (only 3 claws in the manus) can be valid for EXTANT archosaurs, but not for the fossil ones. In addition to the rauisuchids (i.e. Postosuchus), I'm sure that aetosaurs and phytosaurs had claws on all digits (and probably other groups also had)."

So I will stand by my Prestosuchus, the forth and fifth claws may have been more reduced than what I depict but Dr. Schultz thinks there were 5 so that is good enough for me.

P.S. Thanks for the help avatar_Lizerd @Lizerd

Lizerd

If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Flaffy

Thank you for the information!
It's relieving to know that this isn't a mistake  :)

Will definitely be picking up the amazing prestosuchus when it releases next year!

ZoPteryx

A bit late to the party here, but WOW!  :o  First, kudos to Safari for this innovative new strategy of reveals!  Second, hats off to Mr. Watson for these incredible sculpts, they're breathtaking!

Carnotaurus:  Love the pose and the detail (A+++ lips!).  Color scheme's a little meh, but not bad.  While I still love my Carnegie Carno (the newer one, not the old derpy one  ::)), I dislike how large it is compared to most of my other theropods, so this smaller Carno is perfect for me.

Woolly Rhino:  I was hoping Safari would continue to make some mammals, and this one does not disappoint!  I'm lacking this Ice Age icon in my collection, so this one will fill that void.  avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson : Out of curiosity, did you reference Darren Naish's article regarding Woolly Rhino life appearance for this figure?
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/the-remarkable-life-appearance-of-the-woolly-rhino/

Styracosaurus:  Wonderful figure, as per usual with Doug's ceratopsians.  I especially like the color scheme!  Now I can finally take down the pink Papo!  :))

Citipati:  Two oviraptorosaur figures in two years?!  Impressive!  Very well done figure, love the details and coloration.

Prestosuchus:  Ooh, a curveball!  My most wanted new figure so far!  Exotic, excellently detailed, well painted, and just plain cool!

Camarasaurus:  Finally!  I wasn't a fan of the this year's big Amargasaurus, but this big sauropod I like!  My second most wanted figure of the lineup so far.  The addition of the "beak" is an excellent touch!

Btw, RE Camarasaurus skin impressions: Here's a photo from the MOR.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 14, 2018, 01:35:08 AM
2) In Saurosuchus, a rauisuchid very similar to Prestosuchus occurring in Ischigualasto Fm. of Argentina, there are claws in all the fingers of the manus (although they are reduced - See attached plate);

I had the impression the forelimb of Saurosuchus wasn't known.  I haven't been able to find anything on the manus of Saurosuchus, is the plate you mentioned viewable somewhere?  I've been quite interested in Saurosuchus, and it seemed like the big mystery about this animal was what its forelimbs were actually like.  I'm very keen to learn more about this!  If the plate is unpublished information though, I can understand it not being made publicly viewable until it gets published.

Doug Watson

Quote from: ZoPteryx on August 14, 2018, 06:29:40 AM
Woolly Rhino:  I was hoping Safari would continue to make some mammals, and this one does not disappoint!  I'm lacking this Ice Age icon in my collection, so this one will fill that void.  avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson : Out of curiosity, did you reference Darren Naish's article regarding Woolly Rhino life appearance for this figure?

Yes I did but I also used many of the papers he referenced including the 2011 paper on Woolly Rhino horns. The colouration is based to a degree on artist Velizar Simeonovski's interpretations of the "black belts" seen on the woolly rhinos depicted in Chauvet cave. Naish points out this feature in his blog as well.

Lizerd

avatar_ZoPteryx @ZoPteryx but wait, I have the old carnegie model... it sucks! I really need more dinos after I had to get rid of a bunch of them.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Reptilia on August 07, 2018, 08:34:56 PM
Must be the lighting then, I thought they were pretty close:

And I talked about similar arrangement, not same pattern. Body is grey with brown/burgundy striping/shades, while the splash of orange is on the head, I'd say on both. But maybe is just the light in that particular picture, I didn't see the videos twice so I can be mistaken.

Interesting that people are comparing the Carnotaurus colours to the Papo Baryonyx because I always thought it looked really similar to Wild Republic's Tyranosaurus plush toys :o

Still, I don't really think anything's being copied, I kinda think it's just coincidence

Lizerd

Or is it?...
Yeah its just a coincidence.  :D

Faelrin

Well I just learned some fascinating stuff from the last couple of posts here (especially that Camarasaurus integument). I also think it makes sense for Prestosuchus and its other relatives to have had claws back then, since they were still getting started then. I have to wonder at what point the claws were lost, because the same occurred in dinosaurs (like ceratopsians) and crocodilians. I really hope to pick up all of these when they are released, assuming something else new isn't thrown on my most wanted list. I would say that the Carnotaurus, Styracosaurus, and Camarasaurus are my top three, but I really do want the other three as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on August 14, 2018, 02:13:26 PM
I had the impression the forelimb of Saurosuchus wasn't known.  I haven't been able to find anything on the manus of Saurosuchus, is the plate you mentioned viewable somewhere?  I've been quite interested in Saurosuchus, and it seemed like the big mystery about this animal was what its forelimbs were actually like.  I'm very keen to learn more about this!  If the plate is unpublished information though, I can understand it not being made publicly viewable until it gets published.

You are correct that was a mental blip Dr. Schultz meant to reference Postosuchus as he referenced later in another quote, there is no existing manus for Saurosuchus. The image was of a Postosuchus which still illustrates his argument. Thanks for pointing that out I have corrected the quote to illustrate what he meant.

Doug Watson

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 14, 2018, 03:28:29 PM
Interesting that people are comparing the Carnotaurus colours to the Papo Baryonyx because I always thought it looked really similar to Wild Republic's Tyranosaurus plush toys :o
Still, I don't really think anything's being copied, I kinda think it's just coincidence

You got me, I use plush toys for all of my inspiration.  ::)

Lizerd

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 14, 2018, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 14, 2018, 03:28:29 PM

You got me, I use plush toys for all of my inspiration.  ::)
Plush toys are nice, I still have a few in my room  ;D (I also hide my head under the blanket so call me paranoid, I call it safety  8) )

Concavenator

For me ,the most interesting one so far is the Citipati.But they all look really good though.

Any idea on when will the rest be revealed? (Or should my question be :will there be more models?)  :P

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Concavenator on August 14, 2018, 07:16:08 PM

Any idea on when will the rest be revealed? (Or should my question be :will there be more models?)  :P

I'm confident there's more, this is probably half of their offerings. But I don't think there will be more prehistoric figures revealed on videos. Probably they are going to the same for their mythical and extant animals on channels about those kind of figures. And then reveal the rest later in the year like past years. Probably late September/October.

Lizerd

We are probably still going to get more  :D I hope  :-\

Andreioli

Safari Ltd changed their Facebook banner, like a week ago, have a look:

Look at the tail on the left, it resembles the Carnotaurus' tail... but not quite.

Picture credit Tarunyada on STS Forum.

The contrast looks more pronounced in the Facebook banner, instead of brown, the darker color seems sort of black.
What do you think ? Is it the Carnotaurus or a future reveal ?

You can also see the Whoolly Rhnino's horn on the left.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: