News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson So, Doug, in my case, do you recommend that I wait for the Safari allosaurus to be modified and that the paint manufacturing error be fixed? I would like you to inform me. If you want, get in touch with me. I am interested in this allosaurus because it is the best that a toy company has done to date from my point of view and I am a fan of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals totally perfect even if they are PVC figures.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 28, 2018, 09:44:08 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson So, Doug, in my case, do you recommend that I wait for the Safari allosaurus to be modified and that the paint manufacturing error be fixed? I would like you to inform me. If you want, get in touch with me. I am interested in this allosaurus because it is the best that a toy company has done to date from my point of view and I am a fan of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals totally perfect even if they are PVC figures.

My advice is the same as I gave Concavenator. As I understand it retailers are only taking pre orders now. If you are worried I would wait until they have them in stock and ask the retailer the confirm the painting. But as I said Safari Ltd has always corrected paint flaws when I have informed them.

Concavenator

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson I know you may be very busy,but could you possibly show us pics of the 2019 dinosaurs you sculpted if you have a chance? The Allosaurus would be very interesting to see... I think avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon and I certainly would love that  ;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on November 28, 2018, 10:00:45 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson I know you may be very busy,but could you possibly show us pics of the 2019 dinosaurs you sculpted if you have a chance? The Allosaurus would be very interesting to see... I think avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon and I certainly would love that  ;)

Coming soon, I had the images loaded and ready to go and then I realized I had the resolution way too high so I have to go back and reduce them all.

Halichoeres

Doug, do you happen to know how long the Apatosaurus with the painted claws on the front feet was produced?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Brocc21

Hey Doug, just a quick question. What was your first sculpt for Safari? And when was it?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on November 28, 2018, 10:00:45 PM

that i would!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 28, 2018, 11:04:17 PM
Doug, do you happen to know how long the Apatosaurus with the painted claws on the front feet was produced?

So you are saying there were claws painted where they shouldn't be on my 2010 Apatosaurus? My early production samples only have the thumb claws painted I wasn't aware of any with more claws painted on the front feet.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Brocc21 on November 29, 2018, 12:19:58 AM
Hey Doug, just a quick question. What was your first sculpt for Safari? And when was it?

My first sculpts were an adult and baby Snow Leopard in 2003. But I imagine you mean dinosaurs, my first dinosaurs were the Field Museum Sue and Friends sets. My first regular Wild Safari line dinosaurs were the Apatosaurus and T rex from 2010. I also did some prehistoric mammals, a Dunkleosteus and a Liopleurodon between 2005 and 2010.

amargasaurus cazaui

doug helped me score those as boxed  sets after we met on ebay.....small world .I still have them
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

Marine prehistoric animals are one of my weaknesses in my preferences of prehistoric animals. By the way the dunkleosteus of Safari was perhaps the best that has been made of that Devonian fish, and is one of the first that was commercialized among the known companies of prehistoric toy animals. It is one of my favorites.

By the way, Doug, regarding the coelacanth and the dodo, which are two of my favorite figures of Safari, did you do them? They are very well achieved figures and in fact the Safari dodo is the best of its kind made to date.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 29, 2018, 08:16:41 AM
By the way, Doug, regarding the coelacanth and the dodo, which are two of my favorite figures of Safari, did you do them? They are very well achieved figures and in fact the Safari dodo is the best of its kind made to date.

Yes I did both of those.

Faelrin

Well my package arrived, but bad news (something like this always happens, and usually I just deal with it, but this is really disappointing), the paint on the tip of the horn of the Styracosaurus figure I received has chipped off. I'm not surprised since the horn was sticking out of the package's holes when I opened the box up. It had to have been damaged from shipping most likely. I'm actually surprised that wasn't the case for the tail, as that had poked through the packaging. Everything else seems to be in order though (no paint scuffs that I could find and paint apps looked good). I have not opened anything up out of the packaging though.

Pics will have to wait until my phone finishes charging, or my dad gets home on his lunch break, and I can use his. Edit: Here are the pics:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

terrorchicken

^aren't the figures wrapped in clear plastic baggies? that's really sloppy on Safari's part, makes me not want to buy from them despite the good discounts they have at the end of the year.

Faelrin

Yep. I noticed that the Styracosaurus also has a paint chip on its foot, and my Carnotaurus has little three tiny chips on a few of the scutes. I can live with those though since they are so minor. It is disappointing to have the tip of the horn chipped on the Styracosaurus, which is clearly a brand new item. I probably should return it, but I've never had to do that before, and I am a bit nervous of going through with it, and receiving another damaged item.

I might just stick with DeJankins at this rate, even though Safari Ltd has good deals, but I feel like DeJankins shipping was so much more secure then Safari Ltd's, the few times I ordered from them, because at least the figures are individually wrapped up thoroughly (and of course still in the clear plastic baggies), instead of just in a box with some paper stuffed between them. The baggies on their own just aren't enough to prevent damage to these figures, especially when the paint chips off so easily.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

My shipment of the figures with the prestosuchus and camarasaurus of Safari comes on the way home thanks to urzeitshop. I hope my figures do not suffer any damage. It would be frustrating, in any prehistoric animal figure that I bought. I trust Mirón, in fact I left him with instructions to see that none of the figures came with manufacturing defects or blows and that he kept an eye on the shipping package. I cross my fingers for my seven Safari figures.

By the way I bought the Tyrannosaurus Safari 2019 (the only figure that is not Doug) does anyone have it on their shelves? I know that it is the "black sheep" of Safari 2019 group with all my respects to the sculptor but sincerely I am passionate about collecting and for completeness I bought it, although I have innumerable figures of tyrannosaurs of different brands.

To see if some year with a little luck some company makes a decent figure of another theropod belonging to the family of the emblematic tyrannosaurus rex with an acceptable size. For example a daspletosaurus, gorgosaurus or albertosaurus would be interesting for my collection. The figures of tyrannosaurs except the yutyrannus of Doug and Rebor do not quite convince me.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 29, 2018, 04:42:03 AM

So you are saying there were claws painted where they shouldn't be on my 2010 Apatosaurus? My early production samples only have the thumb claws painted I wasn't aware of any with more claws painted on the front feet.

It might be hard to see in this photo, but yeah, my copy has painted front toenails:

I got mine used, so it's possible it didn't leave the factory this way. Maybe its previous owner "corrected" it. I'll have to take another look and see how well the paint on the thumb claw matches the other claws.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 29, 2018, 09:03:34 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on November 29, 2018, 04:42:03 AM

It might be hard to see in this photo, but yeah, my copy has painted front toenails:
I got mine used, so it's possible it didn't leave the factory this way. Maybe its previous owner "corrected" it. I'll have to take another look and see how well the paint on the thumb claw matches the other claws.

Well that's weird! I haven't seen that anywhere else. I am guessing the previous owner was doing some freestyling, I hope. I would be interested to know if anyone else has a copy like that. I did a quick Google image search and I couldn't find another one, even on Amazon where they tend to take their own images.

Concavenator

https://instagram.com/p/BqxMXNFBS6A/

So Safari has modified the paint on the Allosaurus and Stegosaurus slightly before release.

The Allosaurus looks amazing  8)

Patrx

Quote from: Concavenator on November 30, 2018, 12:25:40 AM
So Safari has modified the paint on the Allosaurus and Stegosaurus slightly before release.

Hey, fantastic - these both look great  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: