News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

I dunno...the arm feels tacked on with the paint done that way.  It looks unnatural.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on November 30, 2018, 12:25:40 AM
https://instagram.com/p/BqxMXNFBS6A/

So Safari has modified the paint on the Allosaurus and Stegosaurus slightly before release.

The Allosaurus looks amazing  8)

I'm shocked and disappointed at the change to the Stegosaurus.  A part of me hopes that the images are just making it look worse than it actually looks, but some aspects of it I don't think are being affected by the image quality.  First of all, I liked how the Stegosaurus looked before.  I wonder why it's been changed so much to look like that?  Was it to reduce its price by giving it a simpler and inferior paintjob?  The more varied colouration the Stegosaurus had before appears to have been replaced with one that's heavy in brown and yellow, which I'm tired of in Wild Safari figures due to how often they've had a brown and yellow colour scheme.  I also dislike how the new colouration has the dark brown of the back strongly demarcate the limbs by continuing onto them.  Additionally, the Stegosaurus's new colouration looks unnaturally asymmetrical to me:
1. On the left side of it, there's a bit of yellow between the brown of its limbs and the grey of its hand and foot.  On the right side though, the brown of its limbs connects to the grey of the hand and foot without any yellow in between.
2. On the part of its body between the shoulder and hindlimb, it's mostly grey on the right side and mostly yellow on the left side.

It seems to me they corrected and improved the paintjob of the Allosaurus, but worsened the paintjob of the Stegosaurus and included mistakes in it that I don't remember seeing before.

The Stegosaurus was the only Safari 2019 figure I was planning to get and I was very much looking forward to.  It's gone from that, to something that looks quite uninteresting and poorly painted, and I'm no longer sure I will get.  I'm sad about this. :(

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on November 30, 2018, 01:33:57 AM
I dunno...the arm feels tacked on with the paint done that way.  It looks unnatural.

Yeah, I agree.  However, I see it as an improvement because it looked more unnatural before when the paint was like that around only one arm.

suspsy

Can't wait to get my hands on the Allosaurus and the Stegosaurus; they both look fantastic.

Sadly, Fauna Figures is closing up shop, so the only Canadian source left (that I know of) for Safari is Hobby & Toy Central. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

The Stegosaurus looks more or less the same to me. I think the discrepancy is due to the much lower resolution on the Instagram image.

However, I don't like the colors on the Allosaurus. It looks too elaborate for my taste. I will have to turn to Papo for my Allosaurus fix  :'(

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on November 30, 2018, 01:53:08 AM
Can't wait to get my hands on the Allosaurus and the Stegosaurus; they both look fantastic.

Sadly, Fauna Figures is closing up shop, so the only Canadian source left (that I know of) for Safari is Hobby & Toy Central. :(
Safari themselves have started shipping to Canada again.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 30, 2018, 04:32:20 AM

Oh yes? Did you use them? What are the shipping rates like?

Shonisaurus

Sincerely, I am eager to buy the allosaurus, Safari pteranodon (the best of its kind among all the dinosaur and prehistoric toy brands) and the spinosaurus and the stegosaurus exceptional and outstanding figures and masterpieces that I will have to judge by seeing them personally as they really are, instead of having made judgments with lightness on these two dinosaurs, regardless of whether I like them very much I believe (and it is something negative and reprehensible on my part) that I have not valued them properly and I have not I have been fair to them, in the sense that I like Schleich's spinosaurus and Safari stegosaurus (old version) and maybe they can also be the best of their species, especially the stegosaurus, I say it with all the affection and appreciation that I have Doug Watson whom I consider a teacher of teachers and that every year by September-January from the revelation of the figures to their commercialization in Europe we It fills the collectors as far as I'm concerned with an indescribable joy.

The truth and truth that for me the two weak figures of the Safari group regardless of whether they are outstanding are the stegosaurus and the spinosaurus and I say this with all the affection of the world that I have Doug whose figures are leaders in the toy market and revalidated year after year by the prestigious magazine of Prehistoric Times.

The other figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals (pteranodon and prestosuchus) are, from my sincere point of view, the best paleoartistic representations of these prehistoric toy animals that a company has made and that perhaps will make a company or brand of dinosaur toys in years.

Jorgesaurus

But I do not see any pictures of how the color scheme of the Stegosaurus has changed. Can someone upload some pictures of how it looks?

Fenestra

Quote from: Jorgesaurus on November 30, 2018, 02:21:50 PM
But I do not see any pictures of how the color scheme of the Stegosaurus has changed. Can someone upload some pictures of how it looks?

There is an arrow on the right side of the Allosaurus picture you can click on.
It will show you the Stegosaurus.

suspsy

Quote from: suspsy on November 30, 2018, 04:32:54 AM

Never mind. The shipping sucks. I'm gonna wait. :p

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on November 30, 2018, 01:48:57 AM
I'm shocked and disappointed at the change to the Stegosaurus.  A part of me hopes that the images are just making it look worse than it actually looks, but some aspects of it I don't think are being affected by the image quality.  First of all, I liked how the Stegosaurus looked before.  I wonder why it's been changed so much to look like that?  Was it to reduce its price by giving it a simpler and inferior paintjob? 

The Stegosaurus was changed at my request to more closely resemble the paint guide I did. It was not done as a cost saving in fact it probably cost more to do now so if you don't like it blame me.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on November 30, 2018, 03:16:31 PM

Have you ever ordered from Dan's? He always does right by me and doesn't gouge for shipping.

Concavenator

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 30, 2018, 03:24:08 PM

Have you ever ordered from Dan's? He always does right by me and doesn't gouge for shipping.
Yes,he's pretty good.I almost always order from him even though I live in Spain.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on November 30, 2018, 04:39:08 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on November 30, 2018, 03:24:08 PM

Yes,he's pretty good.I almost always order from him even though I live in Spain.

I also live in Spain and have made several purchases from Dan and I do not regret the deal with the customer is excellent and exquisite.

Faelrin

Has the Allosaurus paint scheme been fixed then in that instagram image? I'm honestly okay with the new Stegosaurus though, although I also like the previous color scheme.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

The Stegosaurus looks worse in my opinion.

stargatedalek

Their rates are only good if you're buying a lot of stuff, typically I buy Safari from Minizoo.

Ravonium

Quote from: Faelrin on November 30, 2018, 06:09:44 PM
Has the Allosaurus paint scheme been fixed then in that instagram image? I'm honestly okay with the new Stegosaurus though, although I also like the previous color scheme.

Looking closely at the two photos, the paintjob does seem to be pretty much symmetrical now, so yes, it has been fixed  :)

The Allosaurus is an undeniable improvement. While I don't hate it as much as others do (although the old colour scheme was nicer to look at), the Stegosaurus was definitely an unnecessary change.

Faelrin

Ah yeah I'm seeing it now. It was just leg markings kind of throwing me off, that I was missing out on the belly, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Camarasaurus seems to be in stock on Safari's site for real now. I had intended to order it along with the Citipati, but then the glitch a couple of weeks ago resulted in everything appearing to be available, so I added everything to the cart and checked out. They notified me that my order had shipped, then followed up two days later with an email saying that everything but the Citipati had been canceled and my money would be refunded. So I guess I got free shipping on the Citipati (it arrived Wednesday in a box that was much too large for it by itself), but I would really just have preferred a complete refund so I could combine it with later releases. It feels really wasteful to order these guys one at a time.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: