You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom by Mattel - new for 2019

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, August 04, 2018, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilodon P.

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 01, 2019, 09:13:39 PM
Some Brazilian sites (e.g. PB Kids Brinquedos/Mundo RI Happy) have listed the Brachiosaurus (I don't believe it is available to order yet)

According to the sites, It's already sold out.

However, Sunday I'm going to visit an exhibition about arts and technology and, near it, there are two big PBKids and RI Happy stores. So I'll check it out. 

PhilSauria

I suspect that the number of countries getting this will be in the minority compared to the ones that don't.

If I were of a gambling nature I would bet that we will not see this over here in Australia, and the cost of the item itself plus shipping will see few bring it in as an online purchase - and I won't be one of them!

Toasaurus

Quote from: PhilSauria on July 03, 2019, 01:34:58 AM
I suspect that the number of countries getting this will be in the minority compared to the ones that don't.

If I were of a gambling nature I would bet that we will not see this over here in Australia, and the cost of the item itself plus shipping will see few bring it in as an online purchase - and I won't be one of them!
i agree and since canada never got the legacy collection i doubt that the brachiosaurus wont show up here in canada

Flaffy

So the brachio's available in Brazil and the UK, great, now how about an update on the rest of the world Mattel?

Especially places where barely anything has been stocked.

PhilSauria

To cut Mattel some slack they may not be entirely to blame here, I say entirely as I can't completely exonerate them; Mattel may not be pushing that hard to get stock into certain territories but based on conversations I have had with two separate people behind their respective counters, retailers may not be all that receptive.

The perception these two had was that the Jurassic World product was a movie tie-in to a film now off the cinema screens and therefore not likely to 'shift many units' now that the film is old news (to paraphrase one of them), instead of seeing it as an ongoing line of toys. Makes me wonder about the nature of Mattel's sales pitch if that fact was not impressed enough on the retailers to dispel the movie merch mindset.

Flaffy

The problem where I live is that the local Mattel distributor keeps pushing shelf warmers and old releases onto shelves. Rather than offering new figures and a larger variety.

Eg:
Mountains of Owen + baby blue, and mercenary + dimorphodon figures.
Entire shelf shelves taken up by Stegos and Indoraptors.
Those stupid wastes of plastic that are the rip-and-run chasers.
Piles Colossal Rexes.

Savage strikes, Dual attacks, and battle damage figures are no where to be seen. Legacy has long since disappeared. And even their "smaller" Rex figures have hardly been stocked, if any.

No one wants these as they've already been constantly stocked for the entirety of 2018.
What a surprise most people/parents don't tend to buy multiples of toys they already own.  ::)

Retailers see this and writes it off as the JW line not being profitable, this shrinking shelf space, and eventually refusing to stock them entirely.

Mattel distributors also seem to not have made any effort in pushing figures to smaller local toy shops for later waves.

PhilSauria

Clearly there are multiple reasons for the Mattel situation - I do wonder why retailers will stock such a narrow range to begin with and then keep topping up the shelves with exactly the same items! What the?

Surely you would freshen up the range with a variety of different items to keep people coming back and sell more product in the mean time as people bought things that didn't have. Can't work out the logic behind the way some retailers deal with their stock.

Unfortunately what is happening as a result is that Mattel is losing display space to generic rubber Chinasaurs (where I am) and there are a lot of frustrated collectors out there.

Flaffy

It's a shame, I see cheap AnimalZone products take up 3-4 shelf spaces, while Jurassic World is lucky to even get half a shelf

Ceratopsianking

I just got back from Universal Orlando and I saw tons of Indomonous Rexs there, it was about $80 so I passed buying it.

Ikessauro

Quote from: PhilSauria on July 03, 2019, 06:10:06 AM
Clearly there are multiple reasons for the Mattel situation - I do wonder why retailers will stock such a narrow range to begin with and then keep topping up the shelves with exactly the same items! What the?

I think part of the issue is the way Mattel distributes the models. Some models, such as the GReen Stegosaurus were shipped to stores in every wave, while other more interesting models, i.e. Carno, Sucho, were quickly replaced in the shipments by new models. Retailers buy sealed boxes with assorted models, like, 1 Stego and 1 Carno per box, or 1 Stego and 1 Sucho per box. Distributors didn't allow retailers to choose only one model. You either buy the sealed box or none. You also usually have a minimum order, you can't buy just a couple of boxes. Then, when they hit shelves, most carnivores are quickly sold out, leaving herds of Stegos behind. Another problem was the Indoraptor was sold in pairs, sealed boxes containing two units. So when stores ordered these dinos, they got an overstock of Stego, Indoraptors, T.rex and Triceratops. Trike was sold on sealed boxes with the other roarivores, all of them more unique and interesting. These sold out and were replaced by newer models on the next wave, except Trike. When the reddish brown trike was finally replaced, another green variant took it's place. So to me this seems to be part of the problem at least. Also, the profit margin on the toys isn't great for the retailer, so when you have tons of leftovers from past waves, you wanna try and sell them asap before investing more money on newer waves. Some stores do that with big sales, giving great discounts, others can't afford to do that and get stuck with the item, deciding then to stop ordering new models from the line, afraid they will not sell too. This is my experience in Brazil, not sure if it is the same overseas.

Takama

I For one have not Found a SINGLE MEGA Dual Attack Figure. No Stegosaurus or Suchomimus in my region, Ever, Not even back in january when they first hit store shelves.

That was until i went to a Calender store in a Mall and found those two.  Along with the new "Basic" Proceratosaurus

Funny how that major retailers have a hard time getting these products in, while a small Calender Store in the Mall seems to get them in. Granted, the prices were inflated slightly, but given the way that Mattel is treating the Distribution, i simply did not care.

I was also haveing a hard time finding the Musaurus and Idominus rex.

Foutunatly, That Calender store had ONE I.Rex in stock, and I knew i had to snatch it up because i was not sure if anyone else would care to stock it. Unfortunatly, that Musaurus Eludes me to this day. 

PhilSauria

Thanks for the breakdown on Mattel's sales practices, that is probably how they operate over here in Australia and would explain how some unusual items appear briefly (buy 'em when you see 'em or miss out!) and other items just seem to warm the shelves for ages.

In our situation there never seems to be any shortage of Pteranodons, Triceratops or Stygimolochs, in fact you find yourself always pushing these aside in search of anything new, which you rarely find, although I did pick up the Ceratosaurus a few weeks back which is a rare find.

Seems that if the retailers are stuck with what they are given then so are we, unfortunately and it's just luck that where you live may receive this figure or that - and meanwhile the scalpers on eBay have a field day.

terrorchicken

I hate the "chase" figure concept, one character gets only ONE figure in a box of 6. Its why certain figures become hard to find  and they end up with a bunch of the others warming shelves.

Flaffy

Mattel can claim and push the blame onto retailer interest all they want; but in the end, it's really their distribution department messing up time and time again for the entirety of the toy line's lifespan.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Flaffy on July 04, 2019, 03:20:20 AM
Mattel can claim and push the blame onto retailer interest all they want; but in the end, it's really their distribution department messing up time and time again for the entirety of the toy line's lifespan.
I see a lot of evidence to the contrary. Retailers around here seem to have deliberately stopped bringing in new products and just restocking the same wave 1 stuff so they can starve out the shelves and replace the line with something else as soon as they stop selling well.

tanystropheus

For UK/Ireland fans the JP Brachiosaurus is listed on the Argos website. It isn't available for order yet.

Does anyone know which European stores ship to the U.S (I'm assuming the shipping fees should be a bit ridiculous because of the size of the item)? I was planning on getting Spino from Smyths if they allowed for international shipping (instead I relied on an unreliable poster who never delivered the goods)  :(

Faelrin

So I saw on Collect Jurassic's instagram that Walmart had the Battle Damage Plesiosaurus and Pteranodon in stock: https://www.instagram.com/p/BznkRedlXT7/?igshid=1w2puqutcixpa

Which is right after I had gotten the Plesiosaurus from Guatemala and the Pteranodon on its way from Germany, lol.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PhilSauria

How does the Plesiosaurus price compare with Amazon's?, and I just bet Walmart does not send to Australia, if out of the US at all.

Faelrin

Quote from: PhilSauria on July 07, 2019, 10:57:48 PM
How does the Plesiosaurus price compare with Amazon's?, and I just bet Walmart does not send to Australia, if out of the US at all.

If I had to guess it would be $10 here, since that's roughly what the BD figures go for usually. It's a Walmart exclusive here so no idea what the Amazon price would be in comparison.

Edit: Unless you mean the SS one on Amazon which is about the same $10 price.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: