News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on November 28, 2018, 01:18:19 AM
I'm not. In fact, I gave up entirely on Papo this year. Too expensive and, compared to CollectA and Safari, dull.

My acquisition of the brown RTR was purely by accident. I ordered the RTR through Mastermind's website back in 2012, the package arrived, and when I opened it up, there was Brownie!

LOL. Maybe that accident was a cosmic sign hinting at something  ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 28, 2018, 01:39:24 AM
I have zero hopes

Zero hopes for what? The Giga? At least, we have some excellent versions by Eofauna and Vitae. Perhaps, PNSO will deliver a worthwhile interpretation of the Giga, as well.

Flaffy

I hardly have any Papo figures in my collection due to their absurdly high price and inaccessibility.
It's sad that all their decent sculpts have been pretty uninteresting species choices, and those that do interest me (Polocanthus, Amargasaurus,  Tupuxuara) have either been discontinued, or cursed with poor quality sculpts.

Atokensis

That ceratopsian really resembles Pentaceratops to me. The details on it look spectacular so far and I can't wait to see full images soon!

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 28, 2018, 01:46:57 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 28, 2018, 01:39:24 AM
I have zero hopes

Zero hopes for what? The Giga? At least, we have some excellent versions by Eofauna and Vitae. Perhaps, PNSO will deliver a worthwhile interpretation of the Giga, as well.

The Giga or Carcha

Or any interesting theropods like Concavenator and so on.

Atokensis

I honestly prefer the original Dimetrodon over the repainted one. I hope it doesn't turn out to be one of papos for 2019.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Atokensis on November 28, 2018, 07:08:33 AM
I honestly prefer the original Dimetrodon over the repainted one. I hope it doesn't turn out to be one of papos for 2019.

Yeah, the original paint job is better. Papo probably wants to differentiate itself from Schleich's Dimetrodon (which was unwittingly copied from Papos) without the realization that Schleich had a change of heart and has already taken measures to differentiate itself from the Papo by releasing another colored version.

Minmiminime

If that is a production repaint of the Dimetrodon, I like it, gives it an extra dimension 😊 However, I wish they'd just tweak the sculpt a little more when they do this. I don't like doubling up on identical sculpts in my collection. Missed opportunity to correct the toes, too!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

I am honestly satisfied only with a pentaceratops and a reissue of Papo's tyrannosaurus rex maroon.

A pentaceratops would be great. On the other hand the giganotosaurus can wait, even years. Papo can make an outstanding paleoartistic representation of the giganotosaurus but in any case we already have the Eofauna and perhaps PNSO (nothing is impossible) make a paleo sculpture of this emblematic Argentinean dinosaur.

What is said more "is worth little and well that much and badly". A pentaceratops by Papo would be great and if it is superior to other brands it is already a reason to celebrate.

On the other hand, a dimetrodon repainted does not matter to me that they make, the touches of paint make that pelicosaurus become a higher quality figure.

Faelrin

I do like that Dimetrodon repaint, even if I still prefer the original color scheme, assuming it is official. I mean it isn't bad in any case, and could easily serve to make a sexually dimorphic pair with the original. Though I do question why the tips of the spines are exposed, but perhaps they are just doing what CollectA did. Edit: Well never mind it was a custom after all.

I really hope the new ceratopsian is a Pentaceratops. The only other one out there that I'm aware of is Schleich's, although that's still a decent figure (feet aside), especially the head sculpt. Torosaurus would also be a solid choice though since there aren't too many of those out there (if I'm being honest though I'm more interested in Pentaceratops, in terms of how its skull looks).

I do hope we get an interesting choice for a theropod (that isn't a repaint), like the years before.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Saurox

Quote from: Concavenator on November 27, 2018, 10:22:24 PM
That must be a Pentaceratops .Still, I don't think I will be interested in any ,since Papo's releases tend to be awesomebro and not scientifically accurate at all,so they will most likely be a pass  :P

Still,who knows?

'Awesomebro'  :P The fact that that term is still used is enough to make my teeth curl.  :P :P :P

Shonisaurus

Most likely it is a pentaceratops, but I repeat it could be a coahuilaceratops is another dinosaur with considerable gola and is believed to possess one of the largest known horns that rivaled chasmosaurs such as torosaurus and triceratops.

Concavenator

I can't see the picture of the Dimetrodon... ??? Have you got a link to the pic?

Reptilia

Do you guys think that that Dimetrodon is official? Assuming it is, the paint job looks sloppy to say the least, details like the eyes and the tip of the spines just scream 'amateur'. Super excited for the ceratopsian though, if it actually turns out to be Pentaceratops it'd be the second year in a row that Papo blows one of the few decent Schleichs out of the water (Schleich decent Therizinosaurus < Papo masterpiece Therizinosaurus).

I've been told that there are six new models for 2019, two of which are repaints, so if that Dimetrodon counts as one maybe the Allosaurus is a new sculpt then. But personally I'm more inclined to think that it is either a custom repaint or a Stegosaurus / Spinosaurus situation, slight variation that doesn't have a new catalogue number and therefore doesn't count as a new release.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Atokensis on November 28, 2018, 07:08:33 AM

Have anyone actually seen this repainted Dimetrodon. They way you guys are talking here, makes us believe so, but I can't find pictures.

EDIT: nevermind, I just checked the first page. To me it looks like a custom.

SpartanSquat

I talked the other day with jetoar about the possibility of if that ceratopsian could be Coahuliceratops. Interesting it was revealed in a Mexican page...so this could be a guess.
About Dimetrodon, I saw the facebook page state that is a repaint by Noise Eddy
https://www.facebook.com/paladinosmexico/posts/2059156260771676?__xts__

Atokensis

.. which can only mean that its a custom. Plus, the painting quality doesn't match papo so I guess its safe to assume that it isn't official.

2 repaints and 4 new sculpts? Interesting. So far we heard Allosaurus, Brown running T.rex and possibly Pentaceratops/Coahuilaceratops. I wonder what the other 3 could be.

My hopes:
Giganotosaurus or Carcharodontosaurus
Albertosaurus or Yutyrannus
Ouranosaurus
Stygimoloch
Suchomimus

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: RolandEden on November 28, 2018, 02:45:10 PM
I talked the other day with jetoar about the possibility of if that ceratopsian could be Coahuliceratops. Interesting it was revealed in a Mexican page...so this could be a guess.
About Dimetrodon, I saw the facebook page state that is a repaint by Noise Eddy
https://www.facebook.com/paladinosmexico/posts/2059156260771676?__xts__

Thanks for the clarification.  How did you manage to find it?

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 28, 2018, 03:53:03 PM
Thanks for the clarification.  How did you manage to find it?
I found the  Paladinos facebook page about Dimetrodon and it reveals it was a custom paint

hao_bao

Saw 5 pages and got excited. Then realised it was more speculation and was disappointed. :-[

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: