News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Sort of unrelated question, but if you started working on your Coelophysis today, would you make it feathered (like you did for the 2017 figure) or scaly?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Ravonium on January 03, 2020, 04:29:02 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Sort of unrelated question, but if you started working on your Coelophysis today, would you make it feathered (like you did for the 2017 figure) or scaly?

Normally if no fossil integument has been found my default position is to go with a scaley hide but when I did this one since so many recent depictions had shown Coelophysis with primitive feathering I consulted with Dr. Xiao-chun Wu and he suggested that it could have had a filamentous integument. So in the absence of physical evidence I went with the more informed opinion and would probably do the same today unless he has changed his mind.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 03, 2020, 03:35:10 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 03, 2020, 02:08:07 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on January 03, 2020, 01:36:40 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2020, 11:27:04 PM
I would retire this one next year and have Doug take the same model and just add feathers to it.

Oh God please no!

lol I think it would def sell more and be a standout among all these other companies now..but yeah a bit of work. Sorry.

Actually my reasons for not wanting to add feathers are not because of the extra work but lets just leave it at that.  :)

Edit: P.S. Safari Ltd actually tells me the Spinosaurus is a good seller.

Gotcha.  I can only base what I think on what I observe in person and online ( in this case it seems to be not as popular from what I've seen compared to other brands is all ) , no stores in my area even carry Safari anymore, though I do try and tell kids/parents about them.  When I get lots of older toys I sell them in my gift shop so there is that but it's few and far between. 

Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2020, 02:18:56 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 03, 2020, 01:56:51 PM
They all look really nice!
Shame I won't be getting them in a while, too much stuff on my list right now...
Keep an eye on Safari for deals, after all the discounts and gift card I received these couldnt be more than 50.00 for all of them.
Sorry man, but I'm not from the States and Safari´s website does not ship to my country, I have to rely on other stores like Everything dinosaur.

If you ever need a hand getting anything let me know and I'll try.

Quote from: Concavenator on January 03, 2020, 04:22:05 PM
I'm gladly surprised of how the new Safari figures have turned out! The promo images were not the most flattering to say the least. But hey, all of them have turned out quite nicely.

Looking forward to more pics of these, especially of the Deinonychus   :D

lol

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Thanks for humoring me, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon! The rex and the Edmonto look absolutely perfect together!

Also, that JP pic is just great.  :))

Patrx

I appreciate the photos, Blade! They confirm what I already knew–that I am enamoured with that brilliant Deinonychus.

Andreioli

The sarcosuchus in action:

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/zoome3/gallery/all
Also, check out the Papo Spino in it's underwater element

Killekor

Thanks for the photos Andreioli! The new Safari Sarchosuchus look great, as always with Doug Watson's sculptures. I'll probably get one one day or another.

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 03, 2020, 03:35:10 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on January 03, 2020, 01:36:40 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2020, 11:27:04 PM
I would retire this one next year and have Doug take the same model and just add feathers to it.

Oh God please no!

lol I think it would def sell more and be a standout among all these other companies now..but yeah a bit of work. Sorry.

Actually my reasons for not wanting to add feathers are not because of the extra work but lets just leave it at that.  :)

Edit: P.S. Safari Ltd actually tells me the Spinosaurus is a good seller.

I actually would also love a feathered Spinosaurus figure, although I don't find it necessary from Safari which already have their own interpretation of this animal. I'm personally hoping from avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna to make one, and judging from their Atlasaurus I'm sure that they would make an extraordinary toy rendition of it (which I would surely add to my collection).

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Ravonium

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 03, 2020, 06:09:28 PM
Quote from: Ravonium on January 03, 2020, 04:29:02 PM

Normally if no fossil integument has been found my default position is to go with a scaley hide but when I did this one since so many recent depictions had shown Coelophysis with primitive feathering I consulted with Dr. Xiao-chun Wu and he suggested that it could have had a filamentous integument. So in the absence of physical evidence I went with the more informed opinion and would probably do the same today unless he has changed his mind.

Thanks for the answer Doug :)

While intriguing at first glance, I do see why you would choose to feather Coelophysis but not, say, Qianzhousaurus; while they both lived in fairly warm climates, the former was much smaller and no skin impressions that suggest filaments or lack thereof have been found associated with it or a close relative (unlike with the latter).

Sim

No, no more Spinosaurus figures please!  There are so many good versions of it now, with more to come from Rebor.  If Eofauna makes a spinosaurid, I hope it would be Suchomimus as the only decent option available for it is the Safari 2014 version which is in a pose I dislike.

Also, I doubt Spinosaurus was feathered in life.  It lived in an environment that was warm and tropical, and it was an enormous animal with access to water to help control its body temperature.  This combination of features makes me think feathers would hinder changing body temperature too much.  Mark Witton has even suggested that giant dinosaurs that lived in the colder Nemegt Formation were lacking in feathers: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2019/10/megafuzz-under-microscope-how-credible.html

If you make a Cryolophosaurus for Safari I hope you'll consider giving it feathers similar to the Coelophysis. O:-)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on January 03, 2020, 10:29:19 PM
No, no more Spinosaurus figures please!  There are so many good versions of it now, with more to come from Rebor.  If Eofauna makes a spinosaurid, I hope it would be Suchomimus as the only decent option available for it is the Safari 2014 version which is in a pose I dislike.

Also, I doubt Spinosaurus was feathered in life.  It lived in an environment that was warm and tropical, and it was an enormous animal with access to water to help control its body temperature.  This combination of features makes me think feathers would hinder changing body temperature too much.  Mark Witton has even suggested that giant dinosaurs that lived in the colder Nemegt Formation were lacking in feathers: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2019/10/megafuzz-under-microscope-how-credible.html

If you make a Cryolophosaurus for Safari I hope you'll consider giving it feathers similar to the Coelophysis. O:-)
Spinosaurus likely didn't live inland, but rather spent considerable amounts of time in the open ocean. Most specimens found are of young animals, and even these are found in coastal mangrove forests and not inland waterways. Additionally the Oxalaia specimen is within reasonable inference possibility that Spinosaurus crossed the (admittedly then smaller) Atlantic.

Even working from the assumption that habitat is particularly relevant to integument (which I argue is grossly overstated extremely often) the habitat of Spinosaurus is an inherently unknown or at least potentially variable factor.

Why if I may ask are you in favor of feathers for Ceolophysis and Cryolophosaurus, theropods about as far removed from solid evidence of feathers as possible, but avidly against the inclusion of feathers on Spinosaurus?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on January 03, 2020, 09:15:16 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon congratulations for your awesome new batch! And thanks for your pics too!

Would you be able to post some comparison pics of the Deinonychus with the 2017 Safari Velociraptor, the 2015 Carnegie Velociraptor or the Carnegie Beipiaosaurus, please?  :)

Quote from: Duna on January 03, 2020, 10:13:49 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon congratulations for your fantastic adquisitions!
I really like all of them, and sarcosuchus and edmontosaurus are BIG! So nice ... Please, I'm so excited about the itchyosaurus, it looks like it has also an interesting size, could you take a pic next to the Safari Velociraptor? Or better to a marine reptile as Safari elasmosaurus, Collecta liopleurodon or mosasaurus? I will display it with them. Thanks a lot. ;)
Quote from: Dinoxels on January 03, 2020, 10:20:43 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I will say the Edmontosaurus looks better than expected. Deino looks better, but a lot bigger then I would have thought.
Can you put the Deino next to the Einiosaurus? That's where I'm gonna put it next to on my shelf.

Shonisaurus

Deinonychus is perhaps one of my favorite prehistoric animals by Safari along with the edmontosaurus. The deinonychus looks great.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 03, 2020, 11:30:51 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 03, 2020, 10:29:19 PM

Spinosaurus likely didn't live inland, but rather spent considerable amounts of time in the open ocean. Most specimens found are of young animals, and even these are found in coastal mangrove forests and not inland waterways. Additionally the Oxalaia specimen is within reasonable inference possibility that Spinosaurus crossed the (admittedly then smaller) Atlantic.

Even working from the assumption that habitat is particularly relevant to integument (which I argue is grossly overstated extremely often) the habitat of Spinosaurus is an inherently unknown or at least potentially variable factor.

Why if I may ask are you in favor of feathers for Ceolophysis and Cryolophosaurus, theropods about as far removed from solid evidence of feathers as possible, but avidly against the inclusion of feathers on Spinosaurus?

I think the days when we could confidently make phylogenetic inferences about feathers are over. All dinosaurs had the generic predisposition to express feathers, but the type of feathering or lack thereof appears to be much more a matter of ecology and size than anything else.

I mean, we live in a world with feathered Ceolophysis and featherless Qianzousaurus, within a few years of each other by the same sculptor, and both are totally plausible. We live in a world where I'd prefer a mostly feathered Anchisaurus and a mostly featherless Gigantoraptor. Heck I'd love to see a mostly featherless Dinornis.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Faelrin

Wow that new Deinonychus with the Velociraptor make a lovely pair. It would be nice to some day have a Utahraptor to go with them too.

Edit: The new Ichthyosaurus looks great alongside both Kronosaurus figures too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on January 04, 2020, 02:41:50 AM
Wow that new Deinonychus with the Velociraptor make a lovely pair. It would be nice to some day have a Utahraptor to go with them too.

Edit: The new Ichthyosaurus looks great alongside both Kronosaurus figures too.

In the same vein a Stygimoloch to go with the Pachy and Dracorex would be nice.

I didn't think the Icthy would be so big, for some reason I was imagining something 3 or 4 inches. Def happier.

Mirroraptor

When talking about the feathers of dinosaurs, Xu Xing mentioned that the feathers of Archosaurids have appeared and disappeared many times in the history of evolution. This phenomenon can explain why Pterosaurids or Cosesaurus have a feather-like structure, and they are not much related to dinosaurs in most mainstream taxonomy. Another example is that crocodile micro-organs have a homologous structure with feather hair follicles(check here: http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/doi/10.1242/jeb.076836). Does this mean that crocodile ancestors have feather-like structures? We don't know, but at least it shows that feathers or feather-like fibrous structures can appear multiple times in evolution. Another study showed that the genes that control feather expression is monogenic inheritance.

So we don't have to worry too much about whether Spinosaurus will have feathered or not. Just let your sculpture dominate by your imagination.

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 03, 2020, 11:58:47 PM

I mean, we live in a world with feathered Ceolophysis and featherless Qianzousaurus, within a few years of each other by the same sculptor, and both are totally plausible. We live in a world where I'd prefer a mostly feathered Anchisaurus and a mostly featherless Gigantoraptor. Heck I'd love to see a mostly featherless Dinornis.
If you really need it, then I might list it as my next plan for my next zbrush kit. Birds without feathers can show the anatomy of bird muscles to the greatest extent. In some ways, it is feasible and has unique aesthetic value. ;)

Sim

What is the source for Spinosaurus most likely spending considerable time in the open ocean?  This paper says the environment Spinosaurus lived in was as I described it: https://journalofpalaeogeography.springeropen.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s42501-019-0042-6

I'm in favour of feathers on Cryolophosaurus because even though Antarctica was warmer back then, it was still cold enough to make me think Cryolophosaurus would've needed feathers.  Coelophysis could go either way, but feathers being basal to dinosaurs is plausible to me and can be used to explain feathers on Coelophysis.  Spinosaurus on the other hand is precisely the kind of dinosaur I'd expect to lack feathers for the reasons I mentioned.

Dino Scream3232

Got 3 of the 2020 figures yesterday. They are all beautifully sculpted and painted. The deinonychus is by far my favorite. Did a review on the Edmontosaurus for those of you interested. Definitely looks much better in hand. Glad I took advantage of the deal on Xmas night. Got all 3 for less than $40. https://youtu.be/Kr2dd6QlJv4

Loon

Quote from: Sim on January 04, 2020, 12:38:13 PM
I'm in favour of feathers on Cryolophosaurus because even though Antarctica was warmer back then, it was still cold enough to make me think Cryolophosaurus would've needed feathers. 

I would prefer feathers on any Cryolophosaurus as well. Mostly because I've fallen in love with the animal over its inclusion in the traveling "Antarctic Dinosaurs" exhibit, where it was portrayed, via a beautiful model, with feathers. And, not to be rude to those who disagree with the idea, but, I trust the opinion of the researchers behind that exhibit more than a forum post.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Wow, great pictures and fascinating discussions over the last day or so since I last logged on!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: