News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2021 Hopes and Dreams

Started by stargatedalek, February 22, 2020, 02:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Bread on July 23, 2021, 11:27:39 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 23, 2021, 09:18:45 PM
I don't really care what PNSO makes but I am getting tired of the focus on large theropods. I realize theropods are what we wanted earlier in the year, but they've delivered and it's time to move on. More ornithopods, sauropods, and smaller species would be nice. The only large theropod I want from them at this point is Deinocheirus.

Of course there's also an endless list of non-dinosaurs from the Paleozoic and Triassic that I wouldn't mind them focusing on, but PNSO is definitely more into the dinosaurs. And someone, anyone, needs to make some terror birds.
This. As someone who is trying to limit their collection size, followed by prioritizing some species, I'd like some more smaller species to be focused on. A Psittacosaurus set (or one in general) to be paired with their Yutyrannus would be lovely. Except with small PNSO figures, for example their Pachycephalosaurus, I would hope the price would not be $30+.

I know this is slightly off topic to mention but my main priorities are now Tyrannosaurs, Hadrosaurs, and Nodosaurids (Nodosaurs?), with the exception of some other species that are in the same formation as another (like how I listed I would get a PNSO Psittacosaurus if it were to be made).

Does anyone else want more hadrosaurs from them? I feel like those are amongst the fan favorites (based on forum reactions). A proper Edmontosaurus would be nice. Ouranosaurus would sit lovely with their Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus. I could keep going on about hadrosaurs....

I think their hadrosaurus are their strongest offerings so far, and the Corythosaurus continues to be my favorite figure from PNSO. You're definitely not alone. Smaller ornithopods too, like Orodromeus, Drinker, Tianyulong, Heterodontosaurus, Leaellynasaura, Dryosaurus etc. But those are dinosaurs I've been wanting from anyone willing to make them, for a long time now.

Dusty Wren

I'm also hoping for more hadrosaurs, since the Parasaurolophus is easily my favorite dinosaur figure in my collection at the moment. Would love to see a Gryposaurus or a non-miniature Olorotitan. A Maiasaura would be nice, too, since we haven't seen one from a toy company in a while.
Check out my customs thread!

Bread

avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren & avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi completely agree with all the species you listed. In general I think their herbivores are their strongest releases in terms of just detail, accuracy, and color scheme/applications when compared to their therapods. Hopefully they resume to pumping out some herbivores again.

That Edmontonia was revealed a while ago but to just vanish sadly...
That Torosaurus/Triceratops was again revealed (sort of) but nothing else was mentioned about it...

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The existence of the Safari Gryposaurus means I wouldn't want one from PNSO, but a Tsintaosaurus, Olorotitan or Edmontosaurus annectens would be nice, and of course Muttaburrasaurus, Rhabdodon, Mochlodon, Camptosaurus, Dryiosaurus, Oryctodromeus etc but most of those will never be made by anyone
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SenSx

Quote from: Sim on July 23, 2021, 01:00:12 PM
Quote from: SenSx on May 08, 2021, 11:26:36 PM
Yes Safari and Collecta Deinocheirus are nice, but I'm not 100% satisfied with them.
The Safari one has the best sculpt and and natural pose to me, but it's a bit small for 1/35 and I find the colors a bit dull although natural.
The Collecta has a better size, and more vivid colors, but the pose is not as good with its arms stretched in front of him.
I opted for the Collecta for now.

I would prefer a Gigantoraptor since no compagnies ever made it as a figure to my knowledge, except PNSO with their miniature and the bronze version, which make their refusal to  produce a 1/35 museum version frustrating.
I don't think I have ever seen a resin kit of it either.

Quote from: sauroid on July 23, 2021, 07:05:23 PM
there's also the old CollectA and Dino Expo Gigantoraptor figures btw. avatar_SenSx @SenSx

Thanks guys, I did not know they exist, but they are unfortunately a little small for my collection (I'm superficial  :'()

GojiraGuy1954

I only wish for lips and lower prices
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Antey

I wish PNSO never sagged under this lip-theropod mania that gripped collectors. A strange sentence that suddenly became a fix idea. There is an excellent scientific article from reputable experts refuting the presence of lips. All those who are interested in her know perfectly well, but persistently demand lips, supposedly the enamel will dry out! Ask Smilodon about it.

As far as desires go, I'd like an Edmontosaurus to complete the gallery of Hell Creek protagonists. And it would be worth making a new version of Triceratops (I think they'll curse me - "enough Triceratops!") In the correct 1:35 scale. And it's strange that no one noticed the absence of dromaeosaurids in the product line. Who would pass up a luxurious yutaraptor?

suspsy

Quote from: Antey on November 11, 2021, 04:52:17 PM
I wish PNSO never sagged under this lip-theropod mania that gripped collectors. A strange sentence that suddenly became a fix idea. There is an excellent scientific article from reputable experts refuting the presence of lips.

There are also many excellent articles by reputable experts supporting the presence of lips. These include Mark Witton, Scott Hartman, and Gregory Paul. The debate over lips remains wide open and anyone who claims that it's over is just plain wrong.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I wish PNSO never sagged under this lip-theropod mania that gripped collectors. A strange sentence that suddenly became a fix idea. There is an excellent scientific article from reputable experts refuting the presence of lips. All those who are interested in her know perfectly well, but persistently demand lips, supposedly the enamel will dry out! Ask Smilodon about it.
Smilodon teeth can also be interpreted as evidence in favour of closed mouths in dinosaurs though. Smilodon teeth are specially shaped to survive exposure to the elements, big, round in cross-section, with no serrations to get worn away. Just like crocodilians. Theropod teeth are thin and covered in fine serrations.

Bread

I am still 50-50 on whether no lips or lips. Both arguments in my eyes work well, and if PNSO decides to add lips I'll be fine with that, and if they don't I would still be fine with that choice as well.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Bread on November 11, 2021, 06:39:25 PM
I am still 50-50 on whether no lips or lips. Both arguments in my eyes work well, and if PNSO decides to add lips I'll be fine with that, and if they don't I would still be fine with that choice as well.
I honestly think semi lips are the most realistic.
And I agree with you on the other statement. I think GR toys carcharodontosaurus is the best when it comes to lips. When open it shows the teeth, and when close it doesn't or barely closes.

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 11, 2021, 07:16:27 PM
And I agree with you on the other statement. I think GR toys carcharodontosaurus is the best when it comes to lips. When open it shows the teeth, and when close it doesn't or barely closes.
Yeah GR Toys has for sure mastered lips. That leads me to my next point, I'd worry if PNSO mess up on constructing lips on their therapods, plus an issue with jaw articulation.
Although there are a lot of recent customs on Wilson with the addition of lips that look spectacular. Curious if PNSO will ever add lips, but we'll see I guess.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Bread on November 11, 2021, 07:57:31 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 11, 2021, 07:16:27 PM
Yeah GR Toys has for sure mastered lips. That leads me to my next point, I'd worry if PNSO mess up on constructing lips on their therapods, plus an issue with jaw articulation.
Although there are a lot of recent customs on Wilson with the addition of lips that look spectacular. Curious if PNSO will ever add lips, but we'll see I guess.
You have any pictures of the customs?
I tried to search for Wilson PNSO Tyrannosaurus customs,but all I see are the base figure

Bread

Instagram is where I mainly find them. I'll add an image to the thread soon. I am currently not able to access a computer to upload images.

Antey

From my point of view, as a consumer of PNSO, it would definitely not hurt to be represented on social media for fan feedback. It is not correct to receive feedback in the form of a wave of criticism when a figurine has already been released and significant funds have been spent. I wish the people in charge weren't as arrogant and rude as the local Rebor representative.

Antey

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 11, 2021, 05:24:36 PM
Smilodon teeth can also be interpreted as evidence in favour of closed mouths in dinosaurs though. Smilodon teeth are specially shaped to survive exposure to the elements, big, round in cross-section, with no serrations to get worn away. Just like crocodilians. Theropod teeth are thin and covered in fine serrations.
Can you imagine the teeth of a Tyrannosaurus rex? They are real stakes and are much thicker than the flattened canines of smilodon. Secondly, unlike smilodon, the teeth of the Tyrannosaurus rex were constantly replaced. Sorry, but your arguments don't make sense. Finally, the argument that lips protect theropod teeth is not clear. From what?! From drying out? What prevented the teeth of dozens of saber-toothed species of reptiles and mammals from drying out? Finally, the example of monitor lizards, whose teeth are hidden behind hard "lips" (only mammals have real soft lips) does not fit. Monitor lizards are lepidosaurs. And theropods, like all their relatives, are archosaurs. Am I not aware of any of the lipped archosaurs? And the last - the teeth of tyrannosaurs are so large that in order to hide them, the lips must be like that of a mastiff or English bulldog. I wish I could see a reconstruction like this, lol!

TaranUlas

QuoteCan you imagine the teeth of a Tyrannosaurus rex? They are real stakes and are much thicker than the flattened canines of smilodon.

And as someone who owns replicas of both, they are roughly around the same size. I will happily sit down and take a picture of both if needed to demonstrate that. Plus if thickness of teeth was a reason to argue for lack of lips, I question why you would focus on Tyrannosaurus rex when Mammoths and Elephants have even larger teeth.

QuoteSecondly, unlike smilodon, the teeth of the Tyrannosaurus rex were constantly replaced.

That doesn't really have much to do with the argument since just because they can be constantly replaced does not mean that an animal would evolve in a way to force them to be constantly replaced. After all, they need those to be able to survive. If anything, their body plans would attempt to minimize the lossage of teeth as much as possible. And while yes, they would likely lose them often while hunting, that actually would emphasize it more. They already engage in a lifestyle that loses them hundreds of teeth every year, why would they risk losing even more?

QuoteFinally, the argument that lips protect theropod teeth is not clear. From what?! From drying out? What prevented the teeth of dozens of saber-toothed species of reptiles and mammals from drying out?

Based on the heavy amounts of lips in modern land-dwelling tetrapods (Crocodiles are highly specialized exceptions as are birds), it would seem more likely that prehistoric land-dwelling tetrapods would have them. Plus the teeth structures of theropod dinosaurs more closely resemble that of lizards and amphibians who have lips than those of crocodiles who are our current modern exception to lips. They may not be purely for avoiding drying out (the many different enamel amounts on various tusks and fangs means that I try to avoid the drying out idea), but lips are good at protecting teeth from breakage and do help prevent teeth that are covered in enamel from drying out. Plus if anything, lips appear to be the default in tetrapods on land so if anything, there needs to be firmer argumentation for why dinosaurs specifically should not have lips.

QuoteFinally, the example of monitor lizards, whose teeth are hidden behind hard "lips" (only mammals have real soft lips) does not fit. Monitor lizards are lepidosaurs. And theropods, like all their relatives, are archosaurs. Am I not aware of any of the lipped archosaurs?

The key issue with that is that, to be blunt, Crocodiles and birds are deeply specialized animals in regards to their skulls. I cannot stress enough how completely unique crocodile skulls are so using them for the argument that dinosaurs definitely don't have lips fails because dinosaur skulls (Except Spinosaurus, but Spinosaurus is Spinosaurus) are nowhere near the specializations that we see in Crocodiles for their lack of lips. In addition, birds may have had lips in the past. We don't know, but their specializations now mean that using them for this argument isn't the best idea since they have beaks and completely lack the teeth needed for this argument. Monitor lizards are used more commonly for the comparison because the way that theropod teeth are set in their skulls most closely matches the teeth arrangements that monitor lizards have in their skulls. Birds, bats and pterosaurs should explain clearly why a lack of relationship does not automatically prevent shared features among animals.

QuoteAnd the last - the teeth of tyrannosaurs are so large that in order to hide them, the lips must be like that of a mastiff or English bulldog. I wish I could see a reconstruction like this, lol!

That is only if you assume that dinosaurs had to have soft lips. In truth, the more likely lips for tyrannosaurs and other theropods look like this:

because again, they share similar teeth arrangements and setups to monitor lizards and thus would more likely share similar lip setups to them despite not being related too closely. If animals like hippos can hide their massive tusks, I think a Tyrannosaurus rex can manage to hide its large teeth too.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Antey on November 12, 2021, 07:53:41 AM
Secondly, unlike smilodon, the teeth of the Tyrannosaurus rex were constantly replaced.
Great White Sharks have lips lol
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

It's also based on two false assumptions;

1) that dinosaur teeth were actually the length in life that they fossilize as, which we know is not true. Theropod teeth slide out of their sockets easily and many fossilize while hanging out of the skull barely attached at the roots, which happens after the animal dies. We need to account for this in reconstructions but not everyone does, including many PNSO figures.

and 2) that dinosaur mouths "close" with the jaw bones sitting on each other, which is note the case. If you look at an x-ray of an animal with its mouth closed the jaw bones won't be touching.

Antey

As I understand it, the only argument (apart from speculation) is that modern animals have lips. Hence theropods must have them. I am glad that PNSO has a different point of view.  ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: