News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Loving all these basal tyrannosaurs so far! Though it does make me lament the limited number of basal members in the previous series.

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eocarcharia

Not a species I have much interest in getting, but it does look nice.

suspsy

I'm dying to see the completed Eotyrannus sculpt, as that's the other one I pledged for.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Though both beautiful, that Zuniceratops is  way too big next to the Suskityrannus, which is a shame.
Also eagerly awaiting the Eotyrannus, which is a favourite of mine.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on January 15, 2022, 03:49:31 AM

Thank you avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin for the update!

Now I really wish Zuni had it's own completely unique body sculpt, akin to the Protoceratops and Psittacosaurus.
Due to it having to share a couple of pieces with the larger Body 1 ceratopsians, it unfortunately leads to an oversized and overly bulky reconstruction.

stargatedalek

I see the osprey colours were dropped. Oh well, there are plenty of others here I adore.

BlueKrono

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 15, 2022, 09:21:01 PM
I see the osprey colours were dropped. Oh well, there are plenty of others here I adore.

This was the only one I pledged for, just for the osprey colors. It looks to me like they're still intact... Do the painted pics look that different from the original art examples?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 15, 2022, 09:59:41 PM

This was the only one I pledged for, just for the osprey colors. It looks to me like they're still intact... Do the painted pics look that different from the original art examples?
I don't recall osprey being red? The earlier art was white and grey.

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 15, 2022, 10:48:16 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on January 15, 2022, 09:59:41 PM

I don't recall osprey being red? The earlier art was white and grey.

I'd say that's a saturated brown. Not typical of Ospreys, but the inspiration is still there. I don't see any grey though.

Concept art & Package art for comparison

Faelrin

Could be the lighting affecting it too. Definitely noticed a contrast between the coloration of some of these prototypes when I saw them in person versus the gallery lightbox pics.

If in doubt it never hurts to contact David and ask him directly.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

BlueKrono

Ospreys can border on reddish brown. Some good photos in this article:
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-the-fish-caught-by-an-osprey-often-upside-down-when-it's-in-the-air-Do-ospreys-turn-their-prey-upside-down-in-mid-air-for-a-better-grasp

I appreciate that the osprey markings are at least in the right place. If you gave something blue zebra stripes people would still be able to tell those are zebra stripes. In this case they don't seem to be that far outside of natural colors.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Fembrogon

I'm pretty pleased with it either way. I'm definitely considering updating my pledge before the month's end.

Psittacoraptor

The Suskityrannus is my favorite out of the little ones so far. Love the big red eyes.

I have one concern with this line: leg joints. The first release raptors I have are pretty good in this regard, you can pose them relatively easily. However, my 2nd version Dromaeosaurus has horrible leg and foot joints. They are so loose that its posability is very limited, especially because the clip of the posing rod doesn't fit on the body. Maybe my Dromaeosaurus is a lemon or this is a problem specific to this model, but I'm hoping for more stability with the Tyrannosaurs overall, and that the quality is the same across the line (and second/third batches). It would be nice if the joints were firm enough that you could get at least the smaller figures to stand on one leg.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Shouldn't the Eotyrannus have a narrower head?

Also, how is this genus classified now? I did a quick search and apparently it is now considered to be a stokesosaurid, but previously it was classified as a megaraptoran. If it truly was a megaraptoran I would be much more interested in it, but otherwise it's not a species I particularly care about.

Flaffy

I have a question: Since Everything Dinosaur is helping with EU and UK distribution for the Tyrannosaur series, would that help lower the cost of shipping for UK and EU backers?

Currently the international shipping fees for both ED covered locations, and the rest of the world, is exactly the same.

Flaffy

Quote from: Concavenator on January 18, 2022, 11:57:50 PM
Shouldn't the Eotyrannus have a narrower head?

Also, how is this genus classified now? I did a quick search and apparently it is now considered to be a stokesosaurid, but previously it was classified as a megaraptoran. If it truly was a megaraptoran I would be much more interested in it, but otherwise it's not a species I particularly care about.

The head reconstruction is up in the air at the moment as Naish (allegedly) has some unpublished info about it and is still under wraps. Currently I see two popular depictions: one follows Hartman's square boxy skull, while the other has a noticeably more gracile appearance.

Not sure about the classification personally, but I tend to follow the most recent thinking myself.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Eotyrannus is my favourite Tyrannosauroid and I'm glad it has one of the best colour schemes.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: