News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Only one left now! Amazing to see that the prototypes are almost all done now for this line.

I'll get the op updated with the new images tomorrow.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Quote from: Flaffy on January 12, 2022, 11:11:02 PMLoving all these basal tyrannosaurs so far!

This. I mean, every single figure of this line is gorgeous, but to me, these little basal ones are the actual stars!
I also find them to be more interesting than their more derived relatives.

Flaffy

Quote from: Flaffy on January 19, 2022, 12:35:47 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 18, 2022, 11:57:50 PM
Shouldn't the Eotyrannus have a narrower head?

Also, how is this genus classified now? I did a quick search and apparently it is now considered to be a stokesosaurid, but previously it was classified as a megaraptoran. If it truly was a megaraptoran I would be much more interested in it, but otherwise it's not a species I particularly care about.

The head reconstruction is up in the air at the moment as Naish (allegedly) has some unpublished info about it and is still under wraps. Currently I see two popular depictions: one follows Hartman's square boxy skull, while the other has a noticeably more gracile appearance.

Not sure about the classification personally, but I tend to follow the most recent thinking myself.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Also that reminds me, here's Dan Folkes reconstruction of Eotyrannus. I believe he has access to, or has insider knowledge on said unpublished material.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pliosaurking

Flaffy

That looks nice. But unfortunately the genus is too fragmentary to justify adding to my collection (and also I'm getting all four of the other small basal tyrannosaurs already). Though that said, the figure is a great option for those who learnt about the genus through Dominion, but either:
- wants a realistic representation of the scrappy little tyrannosaur; or
- is unsatisfied with Mattel's non-screen accurate, clown coloured figure.

suspsy

Moros certainly is fragmentary, but given that we have a fairly good idea of what these small early tyrannosauroids looked like thanks to Eotyrannus, Xiongguanlong (again, why was it omitted from the series?!), and Suskityrannus, it is reasonable to assume that it looked this way. Big crests appear to have vanished in tyrannosauroids by the Early Cretaceous.

Incidentally, Moros coexisted with Siats, which may possibly be a tyrannosauroid as well.

terrorchicken

are any of the other BOTM tyrannosaur figures based on genus with fragmentary remains?

Loving the black/grey and red colors on moros although I'm not a fan of the yellow snouts/legs on this and some of the other figures.

Flaffy

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 21, 2022, 01:14:52 AM
are any of the other BOTM tyrannosaur figures based on genus with fragmentary remains?

Alectrosaurus and Proceratosaurus comes to mind, but even then there's skull material assigned to the genus. The same cannot be said for Moros.

Faelrin

avatar_terrorchicken @terrorchicken Alectrosaurus which may or may not have skull material referable to it (not 100% sure. I believe this was discussed earlier in the thread here between me and avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, but I just can't remember the results of it however). Dryptosaurus has no skull material, and other fragmentary remains. I think David went with it from its historical significance, and being from his home state however. Lythronax is largely only known from a skull, much like Proceratosaurus, although it also has some hind limb and pelvis material. Moros (and possibly Alectrosaurus as well), is definitely the scrappiest of the bunch. Honestly part of me wants to get it just because of how dissatisfied I am with how Mattel did it, and despite the different coloration, David's is much closer to the Dominion animal then theirs in sculpt, aside from being a great piece of (speculative) work on its own as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

terrorchicken

^thanks, I  like the BOTM figures for some of those but Id be more hesitant to get a figure that could end up being outdated years from now.  Good to know.

suspsy

I'd be shocked if it eventually turned out that Moros had a radically different skull from the one on this figure, but who knows?

Fembrogon

I added Guanlong and Suskityrannus to my order yesterday morning - good timing, too, because the Backerkit orders lock down today.
If anyone's still on the fence about their order, act fast!

Dinoxels

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 22, 2022, 06:03:21 PM
I added Guanlong and Suskityrannus to my order yesterday morning - good timing, too, because the Backerkit orders lock down today.
If anyone's still on the fence about their order, act fast!
No, they don't lockdown for a month.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

suspsy

CarnotaurusKing

If you don't choose split-shipping, do they all ship in September 2023? Or if you don't choose, do they ship as they become available?

Dusty Wren

Without split shipping, your order will only ship when all the figures in it are available. So if you've got any Wave 3 figures in your order, you won't receive anything until September 2023.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy, you can find split shipping in the add-on store in Backerkit. There's one in the Wave 2 section and another in the Wave 3 section.
Check out my customs thread!

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 22, 2022, 10:50:27 PM
Without split shipping, your order will only ship when all the figures in it are available. So if you've got any Wave 3 figures in your order, you won't receive anything until September 2023.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy, you can find split shipping in the add-on store in Backerkit. There's one in the Wave 2 section and another in the Wave 3 section.

Thank you for answering  ^-^ It's $20 for international backers. Meh, what's one more year?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: