News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Libraraptor´s collection

Started by Libraraptor, March 17, 2012, 09:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Libraraptor

Marx Plateosaurus,  a rare painted version from Germany and a knockoff.

BrontoScorpio

What's the story behind the painted Marx version ?

Libraraptor

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on November 20, 2021, 06:08:53 PM

I do not have an exact idea or further information.  Those figures occasionaly show up on eBay Germany,  for example here:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/352581228948?hash=item52177a9994:g:INYAAOSwUR9cUHQ1

It says these were produced in the 60s. And the Plateosaurus, the only figure from that line which I own,  does feel and look  vintage.

They are made from more brittle material than the Marx versions.

My assumption is that they were very early painted knock offs. Or maybe it was a cooperation between Marx and a German company. 

I would be happy if anyone could provide more information.

Crackington

It's quite nice isn't it? The paint job makes it look like a love child of Marx and Starlux!

Halichoeres

What big eyes the Plateosaurus has!

If I'm not mistaken, this was part of the set made for the Nuremberg toy fair in 1963. It's possible that it was also available elsewhere. You can see the Sphenacodon and Cynognathus here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg195785#msg195785
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

UK

They are from the Nuremberg 1963 toy fair. Here are my former collection

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: UK on November 21, 2021, 07:59:02 PM
They are from the Nuremberg 1963 toy fair. Here are my former collection
This last picture - I had it and could not remember where from ...
I think I read somewhere about an expo in Berlin ...
Have you given up this set ?

UK

The shelves are my set the third was for the thread.

I let mine go a while back, they were lovely but I enjoy the chase and when it's time for a new challenge, something makes way to release funds and free up space.

stoneage

Where did the picture in the background come from?

Shonisaurus

They are interesting, what material are they made of?

Libraraptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 21, 2021, 01:36:18 AM
What big eyes the Plateosaurus has!

If I'm not mistaken, this was part of the set made for the Nuremberg toy fair in 1963. It's possible that it was also available elsewhere. You can see the Sphenacodon and Cynognathus here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg195785#msg195785

Ah, of course, thank you for your support! i once knew this, but somehow forgot. Yeah, they do have a great vintage touch, I´d love to own them all!

Libraraptor

These five Sinclair gems arrived today. I am blown away by them. Monochrome, highly collectible, old school dinosaur figures!

CityRaptor

Guess that solves this:
Quote from: Lanthanotus on January 02, 2022, 11:05:31 AM
I myself missed the end of the auction unfortunately :(... but I hope these rare ones found a new home within this community.

I would say they found a good home!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 04, 2022, 12:39:11 PM
Guess that solves this:
I myself missed the end of the auction unfortunately :(... but I hope these rare ones found a new home within this community.

Hey, didn´t know you were interested, too, avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus ! Well, they DID find a new home for the next decades ^-^

Libraraptor

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 22, 2021, 08:47:08 AM
They are interesting, what material are they made of?

Not the same plastic the Marx ones are made of, it´s rather a more brittle material, reminding me of Starlux.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 04, 2022, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 04, 2022, 12:39:11 PM
Guess that solves this:

Hey, didn´t know you were interested, too, avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus ! Well, they DID find a new home for the next decades ^-^

Can`t say I do not envy you, but I am nevertheless truly happy they got their home with someone who appreciates their history and unique charme :)

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 04, 2022, 12:41:31 PM
... Well, they DID find a new home for the next decades ^-^
I find it absolutely marvelous that you pledge such lasting loyalty for these simple items -
while some others are constantly busy chasing the next new chinese monster - so they could stuff it in their basement ...  :)

And these are not that rare - At least not as their PVC small cousins -

so, you might as well try getting the Iconic 'Brontosaurus' and the nicely made Ankylosaurus - so to have the whole set.

CityRaptor

Well, it would be a real life case of this trope: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotRareOverThere

While they might be common in the US, they are rare in Germany.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Thanks for the response, everyone! Here is my trio of Diplocaulus, Three- plocaulus so to speak:
Kaiyodo, Starlux, Revell

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: