You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Desire for future BotM series from Creative Beast Studio

Started by Kaustav Bhattacharyya, July 19, 2020, 06:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indohyus

suspsy

I really think the fourth series will be hadrosaurs. They would be the easiest by far for reusing body moulds and there's definitely more than enough of them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dusty Wren

I wonder if what David chooses for the next series will depend on how well the tyrannosaur line does. At one point during the ceratopsian Kickstarter, David unlocked some additional species early (before their goals had been reached), and he said he could take that financial risk because he could use some of the money from the raptor sales to make up the difference.

So if the tyrannosaurs do really well, he may have some extra money on hand to do something that's more experimental and potentially less popular. If they don't sell well, he might choose something that's a little safer (like a hadrosaur line, since those are well-known dinos that are generally popular and share a lot of body parts). 

Though, honestly, I'm hoping he does hadrosaurs either way, because hadrosaurs are awesome and some species very rarely get figures :'(
Check out my customs thread!

Reuben03

I really would like in future for him to have 'themes' instead of sticking to different dinosaur families.
that we we can have more of a variety much sooner.
so instead of dromaeosaurs or ceratopsians
we can have different buzzwords and a selection of different mesozoic reptiles that encompass that phrase,
whatever it is.

otherwise at this rate, i'll never get my tylosaurus!  :( lol

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

suspsy

I'm fully confident that the tyrannosaur series will sell well, and might well end up being the biggest selling BotM series.

Although before anyone gets too excited for Series 4, there's still the dragon line before that. Which is fine by me.

Faelrin

I've been wanting to see hadrosaurids (if not ornithopods in general, too include favorites like Iguanodon, etc) since 2016 honestly. I want to have a near complete collection of dinosaurs from the Dinosaur Park formation fauna, and Hell Creek fauna in action figure form.

Honestly there's a vast gold mine of untapped potential when it comes to hadrosaurids (and again ornithopods in general). They would also be easy to share parts, and we also have a plethora of integument from numerous species, and it's relatively similar tiny pebbly scales. One quick look at the fancy paint scheme the PNSO figures sport and these will have some real potential for some really beautiful figures. And speaking of the PNSO stuff, hopefully their ornithischian heavy lineup this year/next year will encourage other companies to get on the ball, if this risk ends up successful (I think it has been though).

Maybe not as popular but pachycephalosaurids would probably be easy to do considering the minimal genera discovered so far, most only having cranial remains, and could probably share body parts as well. I could quite easily imagine a growth series for Pachycephalosaurus itself, like done with the Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus, that way people could also get their "Dracorex" and "Stygimoloch". Stegoceras and Homolocephale (which may be a juvenile Prenocephale) have very minimal representation out there, yet have some of the best known remains of pachycephalosaurids out there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Subduction

"Maybe not as popular but pachycephalosaurids would probably be easy to do considering the minimal genera discovered so far, most only having cranial remains, and could probably share body parts as well. I could quite easily imagine a growth series for Pachycephalosaurus itself, like done with the Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus, that way people could also get their "Dracorex" and "Stygimoloch". Stegoceras and Homolocephale (which may be a juvenile Prenocephale) have very minimal representation out there, yet have some of the best known remains of pachycephalosaurids out there."

I completely forgot about the pachycephalosaurs! Oh my goodness. How did that happen!! I feel so silly. I'm gonna edit my original post to include them.

They would be a fantastic series though. We need more pachycephalosaurs. And hadrosaurs too. There's so many cool species we need more figures of. Or at least figures that aren't retired or hard to get.

"Although before anyone gets too excited for Series 4, there's still the dragon line before that. Which is fine by me."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the dragons were going to be released in-between the Mesozoic series so they don't interfere with production. Yeah, I remember David saying that they weren't going to get a Kickstarter and they were something he'd create with his funding.

Halichoeres

Yeah, I think it's pretty likely to be hadrosaurs. Popular, high diorama potential with tyrannosaurs and ceratopsians, modest variation in postcranial anatomy. But I'm really hoping for those prehistoric sharks he alluded to in that interview.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

The Prehistoric Traveler

I believe he said that after the Tyrannosaur Line he would no longer be doing the family thing, just interesting individual species.

Flaffy

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on December 30, 2020, 08:15:38 AM
I believe he said that after the Tyrannosaur Line he would no longer be doing the family thing, just interesting individual species.
Do you have a link to where he said that? Would be a shame to only see the most recognisable species of each dinosaur family being produced.

Subduction

Quote from: Flaffy on December 30, 2020, 09:41:36 AM
Do you have a link to where he said that? Would be a shame to only see the most recognisable species of each dinosaur family being produced.

Same. I'd love to read where he mentioned this. I could understand how he'd focus on more interesting species after he's done series after the main dinosaur groups (Like sauropods and stegosaurs). So I'll be very surprised if the Tyrannosaurs are his final series.

suspsy

I do not ever recall him saying any such thing. If you have a link to a social media post or an interview where he stated that, then I echo others in asking you to please share it here. Frankly, it makes no sense to completely do away with what has so far been a very successful marketing strategy.

Carnoking

I don't necessarily want or need an entire new line, but dang if I wouldn't love a carnotaurus from BotM

Ravager-Lizard-King

Quote from: Carnoking on December 30, 2020, 08:19:16 PM
I don't necessarily want or need an entire new line, but dang if I wouldn't love a carnotaurus from BotM
That'd be awesome to see. And since Carnotaurus is from the Abelisaurid family, the body parts could be shared/reused for other figures such as Majungasaurus, Aucusaurus, etc. Though the list of figures maybe short.

Halichoeres

At least as many genera of abelisaurid are known as there were dromaeosaurs in the first series, so it would definitely be possible to make a series of them. I don't know how popular they would be, but I haven't really noticed a limit on the appetite for theropods.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Abelisaurs would be nifty, but I don't see them coming before hadrosaurs, sauropods, and allosauroids.

Reuben03

cant wait for beasts of the paleozoic LMAO give me my fin backs!!! give me my placodonts!!

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

suspsy

So for a hadrosaur series, the obvious candidates would be:

Corythosaurus
Hypacrosaurus
Lambeosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Olorotitan
Charonosaurus
Magnapaulia
Velafrons
Tsintaosaurus
Saurolophus
Prosaurolophus
Gryposaurus
Kritosaurus
Brachylophosaurus
Maiasaura
Edmontosaurus
Shantungosaurus

And again, unlike with say, ankylosaurs and stegosaurs, it would be extremely easy to reuse the bodies for most of these ones.

Oh, and it should also be noted that 1/18 scale figures of Magnapaulia and Shantungosaurus would be freaking HUGE. Both of them grew considerably bigger than Tyrannosaurus rex: we'd be talking about plastic titans probably more than 90 cm/35" long!

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: Flaffy on December 30, 2020, 09:41:36 AM

I think he said it in a reaction to something on Facebook, where and when i don't remember.

Shonisaurus

What different members of DTF reiterate, I am also interested in hadrosaurids.

I would also be interested if BoTM made "retro" dinosaurs an extended version of "retro" dinosaurs based on ancient paleointerpretations of dinosaurs based on dinosaur movies and especially on figures Dinosaurs from Crystal Palace London would be interesting.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: